• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Power Tier List

ChuDat

Smash Master
Hey everyone

I wanted to make a tier list out of all of Kirby's powers. Here's mine.

Falco - Triple laser
Snake - Camp
ZSS - Camp
Olimar - Camp

High
MK - Recover and beat MK's glide attack
Pit - Camp
Lucario - Camp
Rob - Camp
Samus - Camp/Strong and can kill
DK - Kills
Wario - Air grab
Sheik - Camp
Diddy Kong - Camp
Kirby - Air grab

Middle

DDD - More range
Fox - Camp
Wolf - Camp
Ike - Edgeguard

Low
Mario - Camp
Luigi - Camp
Pikachu - Camp
Jiggly - Kills
Toon Link - Camp
IC - Camp
Link - Camp
Charizard/Bowser
Marth - Break shield

Bottom

Game & Watch - Force G&W to approach. If he pulls out a bucket, then he is in lag so you can get a free hit on him. Bait. No bucket brake.
Ivy
Squirtle - Edgeguard
Peach - Defense
Zelda - Defense
Yoshi - Short range grab
Sonic - Annoying

Useless
Falcon
Ness
Lucas
Ganon

Tell me yours :).

BTW, if someone wants to take over this thread, then please do so. I don't have time to update and keep up with the thread.

Thanks.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
The top tiers are certainly useful, not to mention some being in Kirby's favor and others even.

Good stuff, I really like this.

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
Useless
Falcon
THE FALCON PAUNCH IS NEVER....... EVER USELESS!!! :mad:

For me its(in no order)

Godlike
Falcon

Falco
Snake
Pit
Pikachu
MK

High
Fox
Olimar(godlike vs oli. makes the MU -1 IMO)
Wario
Lucario

Middle
ZSS
Samus
Rob
Sheik
Diddy Kong
Wolf
Link(cause its faster, and youre not link :awesome:)
Charizard/Bowser

Low
DK
DDD
Mario
Luigi
Toon Link
Sonic
Game & Watch
Zelda

Bottom
Marth
IC
Ike
Ivy
Ganon

Useless
Jiggly(good kill move, but only if you catch them offguard)
Yoshi(bad range, better off not copying this)
Peach
Ness
Squirtle
Lucas

ill finish this later on today

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
This can be integrated into the stickied Kirby Guide, but yea this is legit.
So im inferring the ideaone here isfor if your opponent is one of the ones above Kirby here, then go ahead and swallow if possible.
Also, the Wolf power is too low. It severely disrupts his gimmicky recovery and helps the matchup greatly in my experience.

:phone:

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Why is Kirby's power on the tier list? LOL

DK's I don't like using since it leaves you helpless if used in the air.

I don't like Jiggs' power can make you SD if you hit something for recovery and it is predictable.

Ike's power is pretty laggy and easy to see it coming, but I guess it is a decent edgeguard. And SA frames are nice.

The others I can agree with.

Labernash

Smash Lord
I got a Copied Falcon Punch KO at a Smashfest last week, haha!

This is actually pretty handy. I'll be looking at this often!

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I finally have time to do this. LOL. Characters in their tier are in no particular order.

TOP:

Falco
Pikachu
Wolf
Olimar
Zero Suit Samus
Pit
King DeDeDe

HIGH:

Mario
Snake
Wario
Lucario
Meta Knight
R.O.B.
Sheik
Charizard

MID:

Luigi
Bowser
Ivysaur
Donkey Kong

LOW:

Ike
Zelda
Toon Link
Link
Samus

USELESS:

Falcon
Ganon
Squirtle
Ness
Lucas
Marth
Peach
Sonic
Ice Climbers
Yoshi
Jigglypuff
Fox
Diddy Kong
Game & Watch

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Kirby's Inhale and his D3 Inhale beats D3's Inhale. I can't count how many times I've used Inhale and didn't get someone out of their shield because Kirby's Inhale doesn't have a lot of range, but D3's does, which makes Kirby's Inhale incredible in doubles as well as singles because he has the follow-ups that D3 lacks out of Inhale. I LOVE D3's Inhale, and I take it every chance I get! LOL.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Kirby's own inhale is better to keep for the matchup though, due to its different release properties. If you had D3's inhale, you wouldn't be able to footstool after an inhale release off the stage, which is crazy helpful.

Edit: Kirby's power should be on the list, so that people know whether or not swallowing is worth giving up the ability to inhale at all. After all, it is a power in itself.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Kirby does not footstool D3 with his own Inhale...right? I'm pretty sure D3 footstools him or nothing happens. LOL. I think having D3's Inhale is waaay better than having Kirby's against D3.

Also, I can see why Kirby's own Inhale is on there...but then you're creating an "Inhale vs Ability" list and TBH, Kirby's Inhale is unsafe and going for copying an ability is usually not a good option, no matter the character you're playing. Falco's ability is great, we all know that, but Falco can easily reflect all three of the SHTL and be ready to fire it off again. Getting grenades against Snake means you run the risk of hurting yourself. Olimar can out-prioritize your Pikmin with a Purple and you have no control over what Pikmin you throw while he does, + you can't use it in the air and he can. ZSS can punish you for trying to use her B Special against you since she's faster and probably knows how to use it better than you do.

On top of all of that, Kirby always has the chance to lose his ability, so it's always a risky option when you copy an ability since most of the cast can hit Kirby right out of Inhale and possibly get rid of it right then.

If you were to really put Kirby's own Inhale in there, he'd be in the "GODLIKE" tier, IMO, because he never loses it and he can footstool a good number of the cast with it out of release. There's no question that it is the best tool he has, in singles and in doubles, because of those factors.

So yes, you can put Kirby's Inhale on the list, but realize that if you really want to talk about which abilities are the best, you have to think about singles as well as doubles, and think about the risk/reward for getting each ability and the chance of Kirby losing his ability. That's just my opinion, though. I know some think the abilities are better than that, but I only think the abilities are amazing in doubles. LOL.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Kirby does not footstool D3 with his own Inhale...right? I'm pretty sure D3 footstools him or nothing happens. LOL. I think having D3's Inhale is waaay better than having Kirby's against D3.
Yes, Kirby gets a footstool on DDD if he is released from Kirby's inhale (airborne of course).
It might seem like he gets a footstool on most of the cast cuz theyre not paying attention, but DDD is one of the few that it's guaranteed on. I think another is Bowser.
Also, i agree that the greater range from DDD's inhale would be nice when it's called for, but considering how difficult it is to kill that dang penguin, the inhale>footstool gimp is invaluable to us.

falln

Smash Ace
personally i would rate the hats instead based on their usefulness compared to the inhale itself.
with this criteria
:falco: :fox: :wolf: :snake: :dk2: :dedede: would all be pretty low
:rob: :lucario: :toonlink: and anyone who hits you directly out of it with a strong attack would be low as well. the exception is :metaknight: because i think the tornado is way too good to not go for

:olimar: :pit: :sheik: and :metaknight: i think are the ones that benefit the most in a matchup

Triple R

Smash Lord
Yeah, inhale to release footstool basically works 100% on DDD. I'm curious if a DDD could mash the upb out before the footstool but not sure.

ChuDat

Smash Master
I'm going to tweak the tier list to reflect everyone's opinion.

For now, here is some useful information I found out about Olimars power (which proves it is top tier).

Here are the percent chances a pikmin will be thrown (tested over 5 times of 20 pikmin. Not 100% accurate about white and purp, but close).
27% red
25% yellow
24% blue
15% white
11% purp

What is interesting is that the percents are correlated with the damage.
1% red
2% yellow
3% blue
4% white
5% purp

Also, no two pikmin of the same color will be thrown after another. For example, if you throw a yellow, then yellow cannot be thrown after it. Usually after a yellow, a blue or red will follow.

Red and blue throw at the exact same arc, speed, and distance.
Yellow has a high arc, but same distance as blue and red
Purp will have the same arc as blue and red, but have a shorter distance.
White has the same arc as purp, blue, and red, but has faster speed and farther distance.

Now, here's the useful info.

Kirby's Pikmin beat -
Olimar's Forward smash (Olimar's pikmin die lol)
Olimar's Grab (if you throw out a pikmin at the same time olimar tries to grab you, he'll get hit and release you)
Olimar's pikmin throw (your pikmin will usually kill Olimar's other pikmin, but his purp because it has equal priority(?).)

I tried Olimar's downsmash against Kirby's pikmin, but the move comes out so fast that it's almost impossible to react to or throw out a pikmin in time.

I also haven't tried olimars forward air or his other moves, but I'm sure it'll beat olimars neutral air, jab, ect.. Olimar's forward air or back air might beat your pikmin, but those are only two moves.

Still, in conclusion, Kirby > Olimar.

Here are some things to note:
When you are throwing pikmin, the only one that will miss is the yellow one because of its high arc (this is assuming Olimar is in front of you). Blue and red sometimes miss, but it's very rare. I couldn't find the blind spot for those pikmin.

----------------------------------------------------------
The Match-up

I was bored and found out some things about olimar that I didn't know.

Your grab outranges his upsmash. This means, if you know he's looking for the upsmash, you can grab him before he throws it out. This needs more testing though... I need someone to run at me and upsmash while I try to grab them out of it.

When olimar down airs to the ground, he is in lag (a lot of lag). You can punish with pretty much anything here.
When olimar forward smashes, he's in lag. Power sheild forward smash if close, power shield grab if far, power shield walk away if too far, and if you miss the power shield, just walk away.
You can probably forward smash his forward air, I'm pretty sure this works. Block grab forward air.

If a pikmin is attached to you, sheild pikmin, then do aerial. I was able to power shield each pikmin hit (when a pikmin is attached to you and starts attacking), so that might give you an idea of how it works. Also, attacks like up tilt and forward tilt don't work to get rid of pikmin, so I found aerial attacks to work (neutral air or forward air).

Pivot grab his neutral air. Olimars like to do an interrupted neutral air (do a neutral then cancel it by landing), then upsmash. It looks guaranteed. If you can't pivot grab, then just block the whole thing, wait for the upsmash and block that too, then run away. You might be able to jab or dash attack after you block the upsmash, but I haven't tested it

This is just some random stuff I never knew about after playing around in training mode. I haven't said anything about the basics like how to approach or what to do against olimar, just some advanced stuff. If you understand olimar, you'll have an easier time with him.

One last thing I forgot to mention, Olimar throws his pikmin exactly like kirby (yellow has high arch, blue and red are the same, ect..), but his pikmin go farther.

The most important advice I can give is when you are camping olimar with pikmin, you have to remember that an olimar will often run in with sheild. At this point, he'll probably shield grab you. If you see him run in, grab him. This is risky and completely theoretical but, pummel could also work but you have to remember to stop pummeling as soon as he gets out, otherwise he'll grab you. Risk reward/trade might be good? If you throw a yellow, you are left open so you could either run away or pummel.

This is everything you need to know about Olimar's pikmin power. If anyone has anything to add, please do! I hope this helps! :)

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
With Fox's ability, Kirby can actually do a SHQL (Short Hop Quadruple Laser) as opposed to the SHTL (Short Hop Triple Laser) Fox is more limited too because of his fall speed.

Kirby is a pretty interesting character. Because he doesen't just copy the ability, but he gains the ability to do any AT's associated/tactics that revolve around the move. A few examples aside from the SHQL from Fox:

Quick Draw (Link/Toon Link)
Aura Sphere cancel (Lucario)
SHDL (Falco)
PK Freeze chaining (Lucas)
Mach Tornado auto cancel (Meta Knight)
Love Jump (Zelda)
Homing Attack out of shield (Sonic)
Stun Gun -> Dash Attack (ZSS)
Bullet Seed out of shield (Ivysaur); this move actually comes out the first frame and has some an invincibilty on startup.
Arrow Loop/Rain (Pit)

I'm sure you guys know Meta Knight basically laughs at Kirby's Mach Tornado, but Kirby can also use a quick version of this on the ground. It's probably the most reliable use is has against Meta Knight since he'll be able to otherwise cut throat your tornado most of the time.

I don't know if Kirby has the Super Armor on his copied Giant Punch like DK does. I'll have to try it out.

Ice Blocks (Ice Climbers) will freeze the opponent at high percents.

Dedede's swallow shot does the same percent, but I think I has more knockback than Kirby's. But you guys knew that already.

Rollout Curving (Jigglypuff) will make this move more unpredictable as easier to land. As opposed to going directly for the kill with this.

Kirby's floatiness and superior aerial movement makes it easier to maneuver any diretion use the Warlock Punch as opposed to Ganon who only gains this kind of maneuvering from the "Flight of Ganon"

With Snake's Grenades, you can intentionally Stone Drop on your (or his) grenades and you'll be damage-free

Kirby can't Egg Lay chain fast as Yoshi due to his horizontal aerial movement not being as fast, but he can probably do it more reliably because of his floatiness and multiple jumps. Haven't tried this yet, though so who knows?

If this was in any way helpful, you're welcome Kirby's

:yoshi2:

Last edited:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
*looks at MX's post*

*looks at Chu's post before that*

Wow, how time has flown!

Anyway, I've played with Kirby's copy abilities a TON. I've discovered a bunch of little nitbit trivia on a few things. For example, did you know that Kirby's Wolf Blaster has less cool down than Wolf himself? He does! If Kirby short hops, fires a Lazer and Wolf gets hit, Kirby has a frame trap to grab/tilt/jab if he's close enough. Also, Sonic's homing attack is extremely useful in the match-up. You can completely stop annoying Sonics who charge their spindash trying to bait a reaction by simply using homing attack. It's also amazingly safe on shield since Kirby pops up extremely high.

I especially like copy abilities that can be B-reversaled because it mixes up your landing pattern. Oh and Kirby as DK can b-reversal while DK himself can't. =J

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I was messing around with sheik's needles and I tried needle stopping and it seems way faster than shield stopping into something like jab or dtilt even tho the sheik boards told me shield stopping is faster. Try this out if you can.

GnW bacon is also good at 80%+, if he gets hit... all is good get what you can out of it, if he air dodges through somehow it should be easy to read his movement and punish, if he buckets at high % thats a free hammer or whatever. Still pretty bad tho

Mario, Luigi, and Pika's are very good at controlling space and can be used better because of Kirby's multi jumps.

Other than that, I like the list... even though i know that list is 2 years old :/

Top Bottom