• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound As A Trap

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
If you don't know about traps and brickwalls, I highly suggest taking the time to read this.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183816

I noticed that with Jigglypuff I always had trouble taking advantage of when my opponent is high up in the air. If I tried jumping into the air after them, they could always airdodge and fastfall past me, giving me no chance to chase with Jigglypuff's slow decent speed. If I waited on the ground for them, Jiggly's awful run couldn't catch them with a grab or up-smash. Then I tried pound.

It's amazing how well pound can be used to punish landing. The time frame for when an opponent is vulnerable during landing is extremely small, 2-4 frames. Consistently timing an attack against it is difficult. Pound's lasting hitbox lasts long enough that if they airdodge before they land, their airdodge will cancel, and they'll appear vulnerable still inside the hit frames of pound. It's easy to hit where they land because of aerial pound's range.

Best of all, this is a resetting trap as Pound sends them into the air again!

Even if you input pound late enough to miss their vulnerable frames, pound is still effective. If they shield they just lost half of it. If they spotdodge, pound will still be there to hit them out of it. If they jab, pound will go through it.

Using pound with this mindset has been rewarding me greatly in my gameplay! I recommend everyone tries this.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
are you maining jiggs now Rhyfelwyr or do you still play Pit
I've been experimenting with a lot of characters. Jigglypuff has been really fun to play. Her aerial movement is the closest thing to wavedashing in Brawl. Juggling off the edge feels like doing a genuine combo, and nothing feels better then landing a rest. :laugh:

I like pound a lot but I prefer bair. Just me though
B-air should still be you main approach/spacing move. I'm saying use pound to catch landings after sending them into the air with a throw or something.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I've been experimenting with a lot of characters. Jigglypuff has been really fun to play. Her aerial movement is the closest thing to wavedashing in Brawl. Juggling off the edge feels like doing a genuine combo, and nothing feels better then landing a rest. :laugh:

B-air should still be you main approach/spacing move. I'm saying use pound to catch landings after sending them into the air from a throw or something.
Yeah, thats definitely true. I still like using pound slightly in-front of them, so if they step into it they are hit but otherwise you're pretty much safe.

Not to be used ever if they are charging anything though. Thats insta death sometimes.

Top Bottom