• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential * Starting roster on Japanese eshop

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Whoever buys the *** smash version...please YouTube plenty of vids!!!!

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
Well IMO it was pretty obvious those Amiibo's in those pictures were gonna be starters anyway.
Of course, but I mean they might be the starters. I have my biases, though; I prefer a smaller starting roster.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So...apparently one Japanese retailer sold a copy of the game. There's a photo going around. That same roster is shown, with the bottom screen intact.
There goes the speculation scene...

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I don't really care much about starters but seeing starting characters can give us a sneak peek of the numbers of the secret characters in this game.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
So the starting roster is bigger then the final roster in brawl?

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
I like. Very glad that Rosaluma, Shulk, Robin, and Palutena are starters.

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Is it weird that I actually want my main to be an unlockable this time? I guess I'll get to enjoy having easy access to him again. ^-^

Nevertheless, I'm perfectly fine with how this starting roster looks. :)

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
If this is the starting roster, then damn.
I expected some of these characters to be unlockable, but hey, it means we can get into some of our characters as soon as turn on the game!

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
that's like 32 characters right? still like 10 characters to unlock possibly more

Last edited:

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
If that turns up being the starting roster, my brother and I can have the long awaited Rosie Vs. Toon Link from the beginning.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Guys according to the Japanese commercial, the character roster is more than 40, but how many 40? And ,Oh my god! The first time we see smash bros in 3D! when you check the Japanese eshop.
And sad to say this: The leak could be true.....

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
I don't think this is the starting roster personally, it's literally every character released except for Lucina, questioning whether Lucina has an unlocking method that requires other unknown characters to be unlocked. This is just from a Japanese eshop listing screenshot, I don't think it means anything for the starting roster.

WooHooII

Smash Rookie
I don't think this is the starting roster personally, it's literally every character released except for Lucina, questioning whether Lucina has an unlocking method that requires other unknown characters to be unlocked. This is just from a Japanese eshop listing screenshot, I don't think it means anything for the starting roster.
It's possible that Lucina's absent because of her roster placement. For those unfamiliar with the leak, seeing Lucina separate from the other Fire Emblem characters has to raise all sorts of questions (especially since Dr. Mario and Dark Pit haven't been revealed yet), so it may have been simpler to just leave her out.

If that's true, I don't think there's really anything indicating that this is the starting roster (as opposed to a partially unlocked one), but I guess it's still possible.

ssbm_freak

Smash Cadet
So the only unlockable character that was revealed to us was Lucina.

Huh...weird.

I don't know about you guys, but revealing characters and then making them unlockable kind of ruins the hype.

EDIT:

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I love that this is the starting roster. I really wanted to play as Rosalina as soon as possible.

All the characters I plan to play as except Bowser Jr are there. I'm certainly satisfied.

kylexv

Smash Master

Huh...weird.

I don't know about you guys, but revealing characters and then making them unlockable kind of ruins the hype.

EDIT:
Snake and Sonic in Brawl were revealed before release, and they were unlockable. Heck, they were even on the back of the box.

D

Deleted member 245254

Guys according to the Japanese commercial, the character roster is more than 40, but how many 40? And ,Oh my god! The first time we see smash bros in 3D! when you check the Japanese eshop.
And sad to say this: The leak could be true.....
You make at the very least a few people in the thread /sigh by actually suggesting that at this point the "leak" is still viably in contention.

Also I still don't understand why Yoshi being put snugly within the Mario universe is confusing. He has his own icon because he went on to start his own little mini-franchise with some spin-offs but he still is a Mario character.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Am I the only one who thinks Wario being a unlockable character is perfectly normal? Before he was revealed I expected Meta Knight to follow suit as well!

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
Some of those characters seem they should be unlockable; like Shulk, Greninja, MK, Robin, Roselina...
But having the starting roster being pretty much everyone announced up until release makes sense.

I for one really like how Smash retains the tradition of unlocking stuff. Gives you a reason to see all the game has to offer.

Ozyroth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ozyroth
To be honest, modern Fighting games should never have unlockables characters. But at the same time I feel kinda sad because of Luigi isn't unlockable anymore.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, modern Fighting games should never have unlockables characters. But at the same time I feel kinda sad because of Luigi isn't unlockable anymore.
While I loved Tekken Tag Tournament 2, having all 60 or so characters right from the start made it feel like there was no point to doing anything in that game except multiplayer matches.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
It's possible that Lucina's absent because of her roster placement. For those unfamiliar with the leak, seeing Lucina separate from the other Fire Emblem characters has to raise all sorts of questions (especially since Dr. Mario and Dark Pit haven't been revealed yet), so it may have been simpler to just leave her out.

If that's true, I don't think there's really anything indicating that this is the starting roster (as opposed to a partially unlocked one), but I guess it's still possible.
True Clones have always been unlockable, so it actually just adds to the assumption that this is the starting roster since she's the only (officially) revealed character who isn't there.

Toon Link is there, yes, but if the dev team deemed him a true clone they would've added him to the section of the roster with Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Lucina and he would be unlockable just like they are.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
For those saying that

Huh...weird.

EDIT:
If this is this is the starting roster and it contains almost all the revealed characters then think about how many more characters are to be revealed.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
For those saying that

If this is this is the starting roster and it contains almost all the revealed characters then think about how many more characters are to be revealed.
12 characters to be unlocked, that's all.
Same amount than in Brawl if you do'nt count the 3rd parties, and one more than in Melee.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
12 characters to be unlocked, that's all.
Same amount than in Brawl if you do'nt count the 3rd parties, and one more than in Melee.
This roster is much bigger then Brawl and Melee, so I expect 16 unlockables including the unknown returning veterans/newcomers

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
i reckon it's too much for a demo
btw i hope dr.mario has his own moveset this time

Top Bottom