• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

possibly useful technique/mindgame.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I've noticed that lots of people talk about SHFFLed n-airs as their basic means of approach (when they have to approach). Now any experienced character is going to shield, and unless you are really good at L-Canceling, the possibility of being SGed is high.

So I got thinking (as a brainstorm from the c-stick for b-air comment earlier) of anoth good SHFFLed approach, just advance with b-airs, but don't turn around...!? Instead of trying to aim your n-air over their shield, just make as if you are doing a typical approach, but don't fastfall, continue to go through/over them, and simply b-air when you are halfway through/a bit before. If you use the c-stick or have good fingers, you won't lose the forward momentum.

If they keep the shield up, you land on the other side, no problem. But if they reflexively SG, it will hit them, and actually knock them forward, (knocking people the "wrong direction" with Doc is something I love doing). Or if they see you are trying to go over them, they may try and DD forward and back to punish your supposed n-air, only to run into your b-air instead.

I'm no god at smash yet, but I haven't seen this mentioned (recently, at least), and it really throws my brother off, and I've been playing smash with him since it cam out.

Please discuss :)

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
I like it! :D

That's one thing that crossed my mind the other day; advancing with bairs. Lol, it's like chest-heaving :p I think it would be a good tech to use every here & there mixed in with the shffl'd nairs.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I still prefer the Uair Dsmash approach.

magelvl100

Smash Rookie
Hey Hylian, didn't know you used DM. Can you give me an url of one of your videos? BTW this is diabolomon from GF.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey Hylian, didn't know you used DM. Can you give me an url of one of your videos? BTW this is diabolomon from GF.
Hey..and uh no videos of my doc sorry... >_>.

And yeah I use

Samus
Fox
Doc
Marth
Shiek
Falco

And like every other character except yoshi.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I'm going to add on to that, assuming I understood it correctly. Approach with a Dair. However, if you don't fastfall, I believe you should have enough to time to get a bair out before you hit the ground. So you can do a running Dair to Bair. However, as Hylian said, I have started to use the Uair to Dsmash. That works well.

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
Nah, dair to bair won't work with a short hop. I tend to shorthop dair all the time and I can say from experience it is only possible to like get a flicker of another arial before doc lands, dair takes longer than you think Kash :p

On the flip side, I'd say a running SH'd bair w/out the FF, DJ'd into a dair might be useful, && (more importantly), look sexy. assaulting with a backwards dair just chestBumps your opponent backward (infront of, not behind you) so I guess DJ'ing into a dair might be more useful, or even a uair x_x too many combinations to think of hehe.. :)

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
i guess the bair wuld b an good unexpected tactic sounds very smart. however i still like pillrushing and the shffld nair. the nair can also go thru the shield and lasts for a while so either one may work.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
heh, I can never just sit still and pill. Although it means I lose against faster characters (and marths) sometimes, I prefer to get in the first physical attack.

Top Bottom