• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible to edit/change AI in SSBM?

Slashers

Smash Rookie
I want to edit AI of a character, or potentially insert my own code so I can eventually create the ultimate AI.

However, I don't want to spend money on a SD Media Launcher or AR if I can't do any of this.

Does anyone know if it's possible? To:

1. Edit AI values of a character
2. Or, insert / change AI code of a character

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

GreatRit

Smash Cadet
It is possible.
I believe there was video of this lvl 5 CPU falco doing wavedashes and Short hop lasers.
can't find link though.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
that video is fake btw. the P2 tag was replaced with CPU tag but a human was still playing the falco. i could link the vid but it isnt needed when its clearly a fake. its old too.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Apologize for the bump, but I thought it would be better to ask here than to make a new thread.

Has there been any work done on editing the AI? I was just thinking about that today. It would be sooo helpful for so many people to play against an AI that preformed advanced techniques and such. Sounds really difficult, though.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
There's been no work afaik. I don't think anybody's interested in tackling this type of stuff now as there are more basic things we need to figure out and document.

erbanez

Smash Apprentice
I guess you could say that humans are always better to play but it depends on their skill level or availability

:phone:

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
True, it's way better to play humans that actually think, but advanced AI would be really helpful in the technical aspect. Being able to practice powershielding SHLs from a Falco, or how to deal with a Fox's shield pressure, or how to DI in a given situation would be a godsend for lower/middle level players... or for people with not a lot of humans to play.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Is it even possible though? And if so, where do you start?

Someone in the SSB64 community made it to where the AI was buffed up. He made Jigglypuff do rest and things like that, so it's probably just as possible with Melee.

As for the actual subject of editing AI, how about making the AI do specific things to train against rather then just making them play with advance techs?

Example:
Falco Lvl 1 = Short Hop Laser-Evade (Work on getting around lasers)
Falco Lvl 2 = Mixed Up DI/Techs-Stand (Work on chain throwing Falco)
etc. etc.

It would be a lot easier to practice things that you normally can only practice with experience.

erbanez

Smash Apprentice
It would be helpful for AI to at least recover properly or differently, like fox and falco using side-b, airdodging, etc. I also want an AI that stays as sheik.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
do you know who in the ssb community made this mod? how they did it? it's an interesting project, i've thought about it before, I just don't know of any data on how the AI is organized, so other than decompiling the program idn how you'd start

crush

Smash Master
maybe marth mains would get better if cpus mixed up their di (to practice chain throwing), recovered with m2k angles, side-bs, and airdodging, shield pressured to avoid getting grabbed, and if a cpu would stay as sheik

adechrist

Smash Cadet
Has any work been done on this at all? Or how to start? It would be really cool if someone could change the CPUs so that they DI differently. In training mode, when there are multiple CPU settings. You can have each setting DI differently. You can have the normal CPU not DI, the Jumping CPU DI in (and not jump), and the run away CPU DI away (and not run away). This could really help players who want to practice combos.

Top Bottom