• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Samus clones

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
I'm not saying that this will happen, but if it did, what Samus clones could there be? Not counting the other bounty hunters from Prime Hunters, considering they perform EXACTLY like Samus in multiplayer mode, I can only think of two possible Samus clones. Samus in her Fusion Suit from Fusion, and Samus in the PED Suit from Prime 3. The first reason I think this way is because IF(and that's a big if) Dark Samus gets into Smash 4, she has plenty of unique moves and properties to her character like being able to fly, make clones of her self and using a Phazon shield as a dash attack AND to deflect projectiles, that Dark Samus could easily be her own character with a unique moveset. The second reason I think this, is because Samus' Fusion suit and PED suit work differently than Samus' classic suit does. With the Fusion Suit it isn't as noticeable when compared to the PED Suit. With the Fusion Suit, Samus taking more damage(before the end of Fusion anyway, since Samus gets her armor back from the SA-X in a sense and the Ice Beam), Samus having the "Metroid Teeth on her left arm that are retractable when she's jumping around and for melee combat, having Super/Ice/Diffusion Missiles and a charge beam that does more damage at close range, just to name a few. The Fusion Suit seems the closest to being a "true" clone character in my eyes. The Fusion Suit is pretty close to the Classic Suit, but has enough differences to be its own separate thing, you know what I mean? The PED Suit on the other hand, has plenty of differences. PED has the Grapple Lasso, Drain and Swing that could change how her grapple works completely, not to mention her Grapple extends, connects to an enemy, and then retracts almost instantly, so Samus doesn't stand there wide open like an idiot(which is how I want Samus' grapple to work, or at least be more similar to in Smash 4 anyway, but that's beside the point). PED can also use Hyper Mode as a Final Smash, and just the fact of how Samus controls in Prime 3. Samus seems less mobile than she does in 2D and therefore feels much heavier, although not necessarily slower attack and movement speed, but take that for what you will. PED also has different weapons and older powers, like the Screw Attack, function differently in the Prime games compared to 2D. For the Fusion Suit it could be just changing how some of Samus' current moves work and altering a few of her current ones(for Christ's sake, change her Up Smash! That thing doesn't do jack ****!). The PED Suit might not classify as a clone because of how Samus controls in the Prime games and how some of her abilities and power ups work. Of the Samus clones that could be made, however, those are the ones I see as the most likely to work. If the Fusion and or PED Suit are not clone characters, I'd at least like for one of them to be an alternate character skin like Wario had in Brawl. What do the rest of you think about this idea?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Interesting thread idea.

Well, whether we would like it or not, Dark Samus is a possible choice for a clone character. Seeing as she has a similar body type and does have some similarities when it comes to power. Though yes, Dark Samus could offer more unique aspects as a character. If anything, she'd be a Semi-Clone. Still I'm not too sure if any Metroid characters other than Ridley(Who should get in as well)are really pushed for by the fans. I still see some Dark Samus support though.

I'm not too sure if using Samus using another suit would be that viable either. Not to say it's impossible, since these suits can throw in weapons that Samus normally uses that aren't in her Smash moveset yet, like the ice beam. But I feel that they would be better off as new costumes, like the one Wario has.

The hunters could work like you said, aside from the Down-B though most of the Hunters do have different alt forms to help them standout from Samus. Each of them also have a certain weapon that they specialize in. Like Spire having the Magma gun. Or Sylux having the Shock Coil. So again, they can also be Semi-clones.

One last thing, It would be easier to read through your post if your paragraphs were spaced out a little more, even if it takes up more room on the page.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't see why Samus in a different suit would be able to take a unique character slot. There are currently no character who takes up two spots, both Dr. Mario and Young Link were terminated from Melee to Brawl, and they were last minute clone additions too. She could get them as costumes, but even if Sakurai wants last minute clones, there are tons of better choices like Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Roy, Dr. Mario, and even Dark Samus.

As much as Dark Samus has the potential to be a completely unique character, there's absolutely no reason to prioritize the character so high that it'd be able to make it in as a completely unique character. Dark Samus' time has passed, the Metroid Prime series are done for, and there's no advertisement to make of the character anymore. But yeah, that's not the only factor for a character, there are many other determing factors, like importance and demand. Well, Dark Samus has neither of that anymore either. Dark Samus isn't important anymore, and has always been under the boot of Ridley in that regard, and there's nearly no demand for Dark Samus to make it into Smash Bros. Dark Samus won't make it into this game as a completely unique character, it's lacking in all factors, and the only way a character like that can make it into Smash Bros is as a last minute clone addition, like Dr. Mario, Roy, Young Link and Falco.

So if any Samus clone, it'll be Dark Samus, nothing else. While Dark Samus can do many things that Samus can't, Dark Samus can do everything Samus can too. Might get a few unique things and animations, but even as a clone Dark Samus would be lucky to make it in as it currently stands. Same case for the Hunters, except that they're even more miniscule than Dark Samus.

So I guess the point of this post is that I see a lot of character getting clones before Samus, whether they were cut in Brawl or would be completely new additions, there's simply no reason or appeal in having Samus take up multiple roster spots just because she wears different suits. If anything, it'll be Dark Samus, no more, but likely less.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why Samus in a different suit would be able to take a unique character slot. There are currently no character who takes up two spots, both Dr. Mario and Young Link were terminated from Melee to Brawl, and they were last minute clone additions too. She could get them as costumes, but even if Sakurai wants last minute clones, there are tons of better choices like Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Roy, Dr. Mario, and even Dark Samus.

As much as Dark Samus has the potential to be a completely unique character, there's absolutely no reason to prioritize the character so high that it'd be able to make it in as a completely unique character. Dark Samus' time has passed, the Metroid Prime series are done for, and there's no advertisement to make of the character anymore. But yeah, that's not the only factor for a character, there are many other determing factors, like importance and demand. Well, Dark Samus has neither of that anymore either. Dark Samus isn't important anymore, and has always been under the boot of Ridley in that regard, and there's nearly no demand for Dark Samus to make it into Smash Bros. Dark Samus won't make it into this game as a completely unique character, it's lacking in all factors, and the only way a character like that can make it into Smash Bros is as a last minute clone addition, like Dr. Mario, Roy, Young Link and Falco.

So if any Samus clone, it'll be Dark Samus, nothing else. While Dark Samus can do many things that Samus can't, Dark Samus can do everything Samus can too. Might get a few unique things and animations, but even as a clone Dark Samus would be lucky to make it in as it currently stands. Same case for the Hunters, except that they're even more miniscule than Dark Samus.

So I guess the point of this post is that I see a lot of character getting clones before Samus, whether they were cut in Brawl or would be completely new additions, there's simply no reason or appeal in having Samus take up multiple roster spots just because she wears different suits. If anything, it'll be Dark Samus, no more, but likely less.

Going by that logic, what's stopping Sakurai from making Ridley nothing more than a Charizard clone, as shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s99HI9kgYBg I don't think that Dark Samus has lost her significance since the Prime Trilogy ended. At the beginning of Prime 3, Samus wakes up from a nightmare about Dark Samus, Ridley being the only other being to give Samus nightmares. Not just that, but she subjugated all of the Space Pirates to her control, including Ridley after being infused with Phazon, and threatened to take over the whole galaxy, perhaps others since Samus goes to the Tetra Galaxy in Prime Hunters. The Alimbic Cluster was in the Tetra Galaxy, and since we aren't going off Mario Galaxy logic of what is and is not a galaxy, I can only assume intergalactic travel is to some extent possible. They were able to make all of those clones in Other M from the monster inerds left on Samus' suit(as stupid of a reason as that is), so intergalactic travel doesn't seem too far off...

Dark Samus didn't have a chance to get into Brawl since Prime 3 came out in Japan after Brawl did, so of course Dark Samus wasn't going to get in Brawl. What about when Ness was included in N64 Smash? The Mother series seemed pretty low key as far as I am aware at that time, yet Ness was in Smash 64, same for the Fire Emblem characters in a sense for Melee. At least for 'Murica, wasn't a big priority, yet they were in anyway. Dark Samus was the big bad for one of the most critically acclaimed Trilogies in video game history. Yes, DS doesn't have as much fame as she used to, Prime 3 ended about 6 years ago. Regardless, she was still important as far as the Metroid series is concerned(as long as the Prime series is canon anyway...) so DS still has a chance of getting in if only as a clone character, as badly as I object to that.

Last thing I'll touch upon is that, it sounds to me, like you believe Ridley is guaranteed to get into Smash 4 just because many people want him in, and no other Metroid character will get in. I don't think the size thing REALLY matters, if Sakurai REALLY wants him in, it shall be done. I'm not going to use that as a sanctuary, it doesn't prove that much of a point(then again I'm not sure why Ridley being Samus' height in Metroid NES is such a credible point when Zero Mission seemed to retcon that). The only reason the size thing holds any ground is because in the games, Ridley is HUGE, yet fast and powerful. If he was a playable character, just resized and performs like he does in his boss fights, he'd be the most OP character in the game, unless you make him as slow as Bowser or Ganon, but that would seem kinda weird considering how fast he is. Considering Dark Samus has plenty to offer, there's no resizing problems that Ridley "has", and since Ridley was already a boss in Brawl that worked pretty well, doesn't Dark Samus seem the easier character to make? The team can make Dark Samus true to how she fought in Prime 2/3, and make her a unique character that doesn't have to be a clone.

Sorry that sounded like I'm trying to start a flame war, I'm not trying to, and I don't want to since that isn't the purpose of this post, but Dark Samus hasn't lost all of the significance she...he...it had, just cause the Prime Trilogy ended. Yes Ridley is important, but of the remaining Metroid characters that could be playable, Dark Samus is basically next in line to Ridley for importance, if just judging off of accomplishments. Yes Dark Samus has the potential of being a Samus clone, but Ridley could be a larger Charizard clone. Of the clone characters that are in Smash, how important are they in their respectful series? What did Falco do in Star Fox other than get tailed by enemies? Dr. Mario and Young/Toon Link are just those characters from different games and with different abilities(another reason the Fusion/PED Suit could work if there's no SSE like story mode). Lucas was a main character in Mother 3, but he played just like Ness, same thing in a way with Roy(don't know Fire Emblem at all really, just guessing since I've seen Roy in his game fighting with a sword and with Fire powers n' stuff). Dark Samus is important and of the abilities that she and Samus share, DS' abilities are phazon enhanced and perform differently. At the very least, she'll be a wolf-like character, but with a different Final Smash(hopefully).

Well, got that out of my system. I see what you're saying about Dark Samus being a clone character, but she's much more than being a Shadow Mario or Dark Link, but for Samus. Dark Samus still has plenty of significance, and at worst, will be a wolf-like clone of Samus. I'm not completely and utterly against Ridley getting in, as long as he isn't OP, I'd love another Metroid rep. However, blowing off Dark Samus just because the Prime Trilogy ended ticks me off a bit. At least in Other M Dark Samus doesn't have a face that looks like a duck and get killed off screen.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I would love to see Dark Samus, but not as a clone, maybe Samus and DSamus could share 2 or 3 attacks, and with different specials or similar at least.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If they put Dark Samus in, I'd hope that they'd have a Mario/Luigi similarity.
I've always wanted a more Fox/Wolf similarity, although sort of backwards. While Dark Samus would have more feral, brutal attacks, sharing only a few passing similarities with her specials, she would be much faster and lighter than regular Samus.

Plus, that would break the "villains are big and heavy" stereotype.

Top Bottom