• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Melee/Brawl tournament in Guelph for the Summer. Need Information!

Pho

Smash Journeyman
My friends were talking about a possible LAN party, and they asked me about throwing in a Smash tournament as well. To me it sounds like a great idea, but I'm more concerned about tournament organization(being my first time holding one) and how the community feels about holding one in Guelph. I want to make sure I can get some concrete advice and suggestions so that it runs smoothly for everyone there.

Here are the details so far:

We're aiming for mid-July at the earliest so we don't come into conflict with any other tournaments. I know it's going to be the summer, where everyone has a lot of free time, but I myself don't want to conflict with anyone. I want to make sure everyone can go to every tournament they can.

Normally time has been a factor, where the finals are reaching midnight. This won't be a problem, since we'll have the venue for 24 hours. We're thinking of holding it from noon till noon the next day.

I myself can bring 3 TVs and 3 Wii+brawl set-ups. Gamecubes and Melee I "could" bring as well, but the Melee community is known for holding their own in terms of set ups, so it should be ok.

That's all I have for now, but I will post more as time goes on.

In terms of tournament organization:

What do I need to do so I can appeal to the community? I know running it as smoothly as possible is a major thing, but I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that.

What can I do as an organizer? I want to make sure the tournament is run as fair as possible.

The last time I checked, there's a lot of direct routes to and from Guelph. I've traveled a bit by bus to a few Smash tournaments, so if you need information, let me know.

Possible side events. I know Carter and Percon were doing the low tier challenge at Nana and the Footstool of Death tournament, and I really liked that idea.

Again, that's all I can think of at the moment. I'll post more later when I think of more.

If ANYONE has any questions, concerns, or any questions about anything, feel free to ask. I want to make sure this possible tournament will be a hit.

Percon

Smash Lord
Maybe just make it a smashfest if it's your first time hosting something. It'll be like a lan party with smash on the side. I'd so be interested in going.

Nothing wrong with hosting a tournament either, though. Just make sure it's not too big and that you have more setups than you need.

BTW your avatar is awesome.

Flan

Smash Journeyman
I'd be interested in going and could probably bring a few people for sure. Its nice and close too so thats good for a change.

The only thing I say is that if it is a 24 hour thing, make sure to do brackets during the time where most people will be there and not make it go too far past midnight for people who just want to get sleep.

but yeah, I'd be in for sure ^_^

Gichan

Smash Champion
Dude, make it a tourney and have people help you. Look, Minus is back and he is a beast at seeding and organzing, from there you just gotta call out matches and ****. do it homie, since I recall you posting that you will be leaving in sept for school or something, so give guelph some light.

Top Bottom