• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Banned Characters in Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
The only way I could see a character banned is if he or she has an exploit that makes that said character almost unbeatable.

I mean if x character has a move(s) that only y character and no one else could counter; would you say that could be grounds for banning or would you simply allow it to overcentralize tournies because y character can counter x?

Perfect Hero

Smash Apprentice
Er. . .I doubt Brawl will have anything broken. It does need to be way more balanced though. Just look at melee. . .

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
he only way I could see a character banned is if he or she has an exploit that makes that said character almost unbeatable.
You win thread. Sorry, no prize :(

It does need to be way more balanced though. Just look at melee.
Bah, melee is only imbalanced at the top level of play wherein the spaces and high/mid tiers dominate playability in tournaments.

If its played casually, like most smashers play it, without advanced techniques, or whatever, all the characters have an equal chance.

I highly doubt sakurai is balancing SSB:B with 1vs1 combat in mind. However he does seem to want to make bowser a little better, which he deserves.

I think he recognizes that some of melee's characters are wayyy too weak and is trying to boost them up. Hopefully he won't nerf the high tiers or spacies because they're just examples of well made characters, not broken ''cheap'' ones just because other characters suck.

So Brawl is going to be ''imbalanced'' aswell my friend, if by ''imbalanced'' you mean the tier list that applies soley to the top level of competitive smash. Which melee was not designed for. Exploits will be found, some characters will make top tier, others will make bottom.

I hope you now realize how flawed your logic is. I'm going to keep telling this stuff to everyone who complains about melee being imbalanced, and how it should be fixed in brawl.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I actually hope it IS alot more balanced.
Christ, why do I even bother?

''Balance'' isnt something the developers have complete control over. Yes, obvious things like bowsers heavy lag and being a giant target can be fixed with the no flinching thing we've heard rumors about from sakurai himself.

But at a casual level, I'm sorry, but melee is completly balanced. Anyone can win with any character, especially if items are thrown into the mix, or its a free for all.

When it comes to 1vs1 smash, exploits are found such as JC grabs, wavedashing, dashdancing, pivoting, dash pivoting, all that crazy platform cancelling stuff and edge cancelling that phanna does.

The developers have NO clue what people are going to discover, and what they discover directly impacts how ''balanced'' the game will become.

2 posts of this nature in a row now. Are you people going to start reading, or what? Because I'm completly right.

Smash Ace
I don't care what's banned in tournaments, since there will always be someon online who won't care as well.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I don't care what's banned in tournaments, since there will always be someon online who won't care as well.

What does that even mean?

You don't care what's banned in tournaments... because there will be someone else online who doesn't care either, and therefore agrees with you to not care?

doesnt make any sense :dizzy:

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Really, you can almost a bet if a character is considered to be broken (Not saying any character will be), if you use the character you can bet either...

A: They're going to dc the second they seeing you use such character.

B: Your going to get your *** beat so bad by that character; then you yourself will see why the character is banned in the first place.

AND

C: If the abuse of such character is at the "Newbie" level.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I hope Brawl is more balanced
Not really I think smash needs to have a more narrow variance in character ability, but there still needs to be a 'bad' and 'good' character, that way you can still sandbag in friendlies. Also I want to beat Ike with pikachu, so I can trash talk. PS: Spoiler tags rules

Smash Ace
... ... ... ... ?

if a character was banned, even online, it's not like I'd actually have the idiocy to CARE...
I'd use him/her/it/rubberducky anyways, and if my oppoenet cared enough to quit, I'd just LOL and call him/her a quiiter for time and all eternity.

... ... ... ...
hmmm.....

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
Smash balls are an automatic way to rack up huge damage or kill someone, sakurai himself said it was like a personalised hammer. Killing someone by picking up a floating orb, then basically letting your B.A.C.O.N do the work for you displays no skill whatsoever, and therefore there should be no final smash usage in competitive play.
u are right somehow, but then again, like when someone gets a hammer, yes, is powerful, but is also a huuuge weakness if u know how to deal with it, once u get a hit, u just send him in the air and out of the platform, honestly, most of time it doesnt work that well for me XD but a friend of mine rarely gets hit (a jigglypuff user!! XD)

so, with a smash ball i consider that it takes a lot of skill to avoid it, or even if u get a lot of damage, still win, and u know that it feels even better to win when u are in a tight situation, right? XD

Really? Results thread and vids plz or it didn't happen.
nooo unfortunately i dont have =( but i hope brawl is online so that i can prove myself not with videos, but fighting with u =)

Im tired of this ****ing streotype. It's a bunch of bull and you know it. FD only is good for like... Falco mains..

FD isnt everyones favorite stage, contrary to popular belief. Especially if you don't play space animals.

Personally I like green greens... :)
well, at least here in mexico, and for what ive seen on internet, FD seems to be the only choice, or at least the most popular. dont get me wrong, i do like the stage a lot, but again, what i mean is that a great smasher can handle any stage

Now you're getting the idea! Host your own tournments, make your own rules! compete with people who WANT to compete in your tournaments

But do NOT expect your style of tournament to become standard. Melee's competitive smashers have grown accustomed to a good set of fair balanced rules and I doubt many of us want to SUDDENLY turn on items, play on ******** stages where you can walk to the border of the screen, and basically change everything we've held sacred since the competitive scene decided to get rid of items. Which was a LONG time ago.
yeah, i know, im not expecting that, im just givin my point of view, and i also know that most people dont agree with me XD but u seem to be a good player that can actually handle any situation, and play in any circumstances, and also very competitive

All in all you raise some good points that I agree with
honestly i was ready to get flamed, but im glad to read a reply like yours, is good to know that there are good smashers out there that agree at least a little with my point of view XD

as i said before, im looking forward to play online with u

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Does anyone besides me think this thread isn't needed to exist? The Smash series hasn't had any broken characters like Akuma, so why worry about it with Sakurai having "balance in mind" as he states? Sure, it's not going to be perfectly balanced, but I'm sure I'll be more balanced than the previous games. The way people worry about this game is astounding to me.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I hope Brawl is more balanced
Not really I think smash needs to have a more narrow variance in character ability, but there still needs to be a 'bad' and 'good' character, that way you can still sandbag in friendlies. Also I want to beat Ike with pikachu, so I can trash talk. PS: Spoiler tags rules

Just as Dylan_Tnga said, allt he characters are balanced in normal play. The luck factors and the lack of advance techniques make it a level playing feild. The reason Smash has the teir is they develop from this luck-free playing feild and throw in techniques, which can helop certain characters.

Teir are a bit innevitable. Characters like Fox are ment for 1v1 play, were other characters will do better in a 4vs. As long as Nintendo tried to make the normal game as balanced as possible (and still puts a little focus on the tiers) then there shouldn't be a banned character.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Smash balls are an automatic way to rack up huge damage or kill someone, sakurai himself said it was like a personalised hammer. Killing someone by picking up a floating orb, then basically letting your B.A.C.O.N do the work for you displays no skill whatsoever, and therefore there should be no final smash usage in competitive play.
However, they ARE one-time use, any given player can only use the final smash once per game, so effectively it's a question of when they get it. Essentially, it equalizes over time.

Then, you have the strategics of utilizing said final smash correctly, it's not like you just use it and it does all the work for you no matter where you are (perhaps Mario's exempted).

It's fair because you both get the same usage (even if you don't get them at the same time), it's flashy, and it adds strategic depth, what's not to love?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
However, they ARE one-time use, any given player can only use the final smash once per game, so effectively it's a question of when they get it. Essentially, it equalizes over time.

Then, you have the strategics of utilizing said final smash correctly, it's not like you just use it and it does all the work for you no matter where you are (perhaps Mario's exempted).

It's fair because you both get the same usage (even if you don't get them at the same time), it's flashy, and it adds strategic depth, what's not to love?
There are some people that actually think you can use it more than once.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion

Just as Dylan_Tnga said, allt he characters are balanced in normal play. The luck factors and the lack of advance techniques make it a level playing feild. The reason Smash has the teir is they develop from this luck-free playing feild and throw in techniques, which can helop certain characters.

Teir are a bit innevitable. Characters like Fox are ment for 1v1 play, were other characters will do better in a 4vs. As long as Nintendo tried to make the normal game as balanced as possible (and still puts a little focus on the tiers) then there shouldn't be a banned character.
Everyone seems to think that balancing the game better is impossible. Perfect balance is unattainable, but seriously, how did Sakurai not noice how much Bowser, Pichu, Mewtwo, and Kirby sucked? And how much Marth ruled?

Just the shine? lol
Spoken like a true noob.:p

By the way, there is no such thing as an infinitely balanced game because each character, regaurdless, will still bare distinct advantages over another character(s), whether it be match specific or not. Character dependability varies depending on how well each character can adapt to a common situation. Fox in this case has the ability to take advantage of any situation and make up for his mistakes.

Characters such as Yoshi or Bowser cannot take adcantage of many situations or make up for a mistake. Low tier character playing requiers a perfectionist attitude, and that isn't worth doing considering that they only give you minimal results. High tier characters are high tier because they can expand to your skill and deliver more.

These are the things that make a character reliable/good/broken: Dependability, Compensation, Variety. These distinct factors will always favor another character than another. You can nerf Fox all you want, I can guarantee you that another character will easily take his place.

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
I have a doubt

and if ONE single pokemon of PT if really powerful and must be banned

the PT will be banned or the pokemon ?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master

It doesn't add strategic depth, it provides a method of gaining control over your opponent without having to do anything but touch a smash ball.

Control is EVERYTHING in advanced smash. It takes mindgames, techskill, and prediction to do this.

With final smashes, you get automatic control for a brief period of time without having to outthink your opponent, have tech skill, or predict his actions. You meerly have to be in the right place at the right time.

Sorry, but that's the same thing as items. Shouldn't be present in a contest of skill.

Shiro Kageryu

Smash Journeyman
I have a doubt

and if ONE single pokemon of PT if really powerful and must be banned

the PT will be banned or the pokemon ?
I highly doubt that will happen, but if it does then the character would have to be banned. It'd be dumb to ban just one of them. "uh oh! He pulled out Charizard! Even though you must go through Charizard to get to Squirtle he still pulled him out so we must disqualify him!" it's just dumb.

As for the SCII remark, the (real) reason why Necros (or whatever his name is) should've been banned from tourney play is because he's a console exclusive character. Same should've been done with Link, Heihachi, and Spawn.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
It doesn't add strategic depth, it provides a method of gaining control over your opponent without having to do anything but touch a smash ball.

Control is EVERYTHING in advanced smash. It takes mindgames, techskill, and prediction to do this.

With final smashes, you get automatic control for a brief period of time without having to outthink your opponent, have tech skill, or predict his actions. You meerly have to be in the right place at the right time.

Sorry, but that's the same thing as items. Shouldn't be present in a contest of skill.

I think everybody has been thinking this.....

DYLAN, GET A MOTHER ******* LIFE!!
Do somethin else besides play Smash!

I don't think any techniques should be banned. It's no fun without items and Dylan...believe it or not...people do play VGs for fun!

No, everyone hasn't been thinking that, and Dylan is right.

Items shouldn't be included in competettion because of the random variables that occur when playing.

You're being an idiot because this room isn't discussing conventional play, we're talking about tournament play. How was that not blatantly obvious?

I don't think any techniques should be banned. It's no fun without items and Dylan...believe it or not...people do play VGs for fun!
Well, you don't have to play in tournaments then. You don't think it's fun because you are a hypocrite and cannot accept a formal change. Just like a majority of the people in here, i'm pretty sure that none of you should pass judgement on how fun tournament play is considering that you haven't tried it yet. The definition of fun is biased on many levels, so I wouldn't suggest thinking that your playing methods are accepted by everyone.

I used to play with items a long time ago, but then I quit playing smash because there was nothing to move forward to. Ever since I got into competative Smash, i've been having alot of fun. Competition, skill, sportsmanship... Those are the things that fuel competative smash, and we have fun doing so.

I said this before, and i'll say it again:

Go find your own definition of "Fun".

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
banned or not in brawl?,banned characters would be characters that are not even characters or even real people,example :Brawl has some gay dude?

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone besides me think this thread isn't needed to exist? The Smash series hasn't had any broken characters like Akuma, so why worry about it with Sakurai having "balance in mind" as he states? Sure, it's not going to be perfectly balanced, but I'm sure I'll be more balanced than the previous games. The way people worry about this game is astounding to me.
Well, considering Sakurai has no clue how SSBB will be played professionally in about a year, you can't really say that this one is going to be more balanced than the previous ones except on a casual level.

And jeeze, it's a topic for friendly discussion either way.

And off topic, what this guy said earlier just stood out to me. Go up to Ken and say this. Ultimate insult.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master

Instead of lowering myself to your filthy pathetic ignorant level, I'll just copy paste what I wrote, so maybe your ignorant monkey brain will spend 3 minutes reading it :

Dylan said:
competitive smashers are so caught up in their own world that they dismiss the ideas and desires of other people, who love smash just as much as ANY competitive smasher, as being silly or not worth their time.

I do disagree with items being legal in tournaments, but I don't see why pro item tournaments cant happen if there are enough people who want to do them.

I would even attend an item tourney, but, as I stated earlier, I would NEVER put money on the line on an item tournament. Its like playing the lottery.

If we keep acting so arrogant towards people, it will only incite further flamewars. I know this better than anyone, having being judged to be some sort of evil anti item competitive smash nazi who wishes to force his views on everyone. Which I was when I first signed up so there was obviously a reason.

So instead of posting useless stuff like that Adi, show the posters the respect they deserve, or don't post at all.
I cannot believe, after posting things such as this trying to convince competitive players to listen to the casual players side of the issue, that you would treat me with such utter disrespect.

It's no fun without items and Dylan...believe it or not...people do play VGs for fun!
Fun is subjective. Do you really believe that thousands of smashers gather to play at bi-weeklies, smashfests, and tournmanets in a completly serious mood, devoid of any fun?

You do realize you're being irrational, childish, and provoking?

I have reported your post, and I ashamed to see such pathetic ignorance gracing these fine forums full of intelligent, logical people.

You can't enter one thread without trying to bash me for any post I make, you say things out of spite, out of anger and emo angst and this is NOT how you debate with other human beings.

You've never met to me in person, or had a personal discussion with me, yet you have the audacity to assume based on posts on an internet forum that Smash Brothers is the sole reason for my existence.

I'm not even gonna call you irrational this time, I figured I'd just point out to you what you were doing. I'll let you figure out why this makes you look like a fool.

Shiro Kageryu

Smash Journeyman

yeah I lol'd at this post. mainly just for the "get a life" part 'cause...i dunno it's funny. whatev

Just as the way he seems to be played.
erm...yeah that really doesn't explain anything dude. All that's registering into my head is "omg he uses 3 different pookymons b?0k3n!" :(

Unless you mean like just switching out to reset damage or something, but they already got that covered.

Dr. Strangekoopa

Smash Cadet

What he's saying is that there's nothing for you to get upset about. Unless you DO happen to enjoy tourney play, then the tier system has little relevance to you. So rejoice! It doesn't apply when you are just ******* around in the living room with a couple of friends.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
What he's saying is that there's nothing for you to get upset about. Unless you DO happen to enjoy tourney play, then the tier system has little relevance to you. So rejoice! It doesn't apply when you are just ******* around in the living room with a couple of friends.
People like you are what keep me posting on these forums. People that have this ability to... READ. That so many people lack on this section, it is frightening.

mainly just for the "get a life" part 'cause...i dunno it's funny.
I don't see how it's even a mediocre insult or even midly amusing. He doesn't know me, yet he's assuming my entire life revolves around a video game. It just makes him look ignorant and ilogical.

''Get a life'' Seriously.. I've received better burns from my fridge.

But as I like to say

Skill is a glitch, You have no life, Aniki dun wavedesh, and Ken is cheap. ;)

Dr. Strangekoopa

Smash Cadet
Why thank you! And let me reiterate for everyone else. Balance has never been and will never be an issue for SSB titles outside of tourney play.

The only thing I'm remotely concerned about is that maybe SSBB is going to be TOO cool...

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
Im sorry, just felt like quoting the following:

"nooo unfortunately i dont have =( but i hope brawl is online so that i can prove myself not with videos, but fighting with u =)" - Said by Cronomaster... End of quote now.

Ok so i quoted that because i wanted to say this: Winning/loosing online in a fighting game has never meant ****, doesnt mean ****, and will never mean ****, and if you believe so, you are wrong.

You wont prove **** by playing vs dylan or whoever online, youll prove something when u go out there and win a tournament, and post the results and videos proving it... an OFFLINE TOURNAMENT OF COURSE.

If you know enough fighting games, you should know online doesnt mean crap.

Have a good day

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Smashboards = serious business :(
Oh what the **** ever. I didn't imply that at all, I'm just really dissapointed that the phrase ''get a life'' posted from one person to another on an internet forum about a video game is still found funny.

I just wish if someone was gonna insult me, that they'd at least put some effort into being witty about it.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman

Shut the *** up, dont go making personal attacks scrub.

Yes... i did one to, but he started it -_-... ***** scrubs these days, this is just like another doacentral... gosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom