• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Position: A Brief In-Depth Look at Ganon's Metagame

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Brief In-Depth Look at Ganon's Metagame

Due to his lacking in mobility, Ganon is a character whose metagame revolves around two foci: Taking advantage of the moment and spacing himself into a position of advantage. While those principles may seem universal for all characters, one must remember that other characters have more options open up to them due to their mobility on the stage.

On a defining note, I wish to address the necessity for technical skill. It is widely believed by many people that tech skill is not as important as "mindgames". I thoroughly disagree, partly because there isn't really an actual definition for the word mindgames, but mainly because without technical skill, one may not harness all one's potential options. When people argue this subject in support of the "mindgames" side, they usually generalize tech skill into the category of "looking flashy" rather than "being able to manipulate one's character". Without control over one's character, there can be no "mindgames" in the first place. (This paragraph is not meant to start any argument in this thread about which is more important. I don't care what your opinion on the matter is so don't PM me or post in this thread about it. I simply wrote this to, as stated, "address the necessity for technical skill")

Ganon is a very slow character. Without proper techs kill, mainly L-canceling, and all the other lag canceling techniques, added to the most famous technique, wavedashing, and all its subcategories, Ganon is useless in tournament play. His mobility, or lack thereof, is pitiful, and without proper tech skill you can never hope to control the flow of a battle. It must be ingrained into your muscle memory to never miss an L-cancel or mess up any sort of wave-thing.

So, now that the importance of tech skill has been stated, the rest of this text will assume when making statements that the Ganon-example has perfect tech skill. After all, we're dwelling into theory here.

The first principle of Ganon's metagame was stated as: Taking advantage of the moment. While this may seem obvious, many people seem to either not do this or fail at it. So many times in videos have I seen Ganon players act too late on their opponents techs, and either end up getting shield-grabbed or just smacked. The reason behind this failure is because the players reflexes aren't sharp enough to cope with Ganon's lack of movement speed.

Another example is the lack of edgehogging shown in many videos. A lot of new players don't like to edgehog. They just have this lust for smacking their opponents into an explosion. Many people are doing a good job, hanging onto the edge, and then squander their opportunity by jumping off to hit their opponent with an aerial. This only allows your opponent to capitalize on the advantage you just threw away.

The last example I offer up is chain-grabbing. This is the most beneficial approach in the game. Chain-grabbing allows you to rack up percents on characters while taking no risk to yourself. How could you want anything else? Unfortunately, it seems many people disregard chain-grabbing as a cheap/gay tactic. First and foremost, in tournaments, cheap/gay are synonyms to efficient. Second, no one said you have to use chain-grabbing in friendlies. The ability to chain-grab is a great determiner in any given match-up. This is one reason why Sheik so heavily ***** many characters. To disregard this tactic based on a moral-standpoint is only self-damaging.

The only real way to improve this first principle of Ganon's play is to begin thinking during matches. Try to predict your opponents actions and eventually it will become a second habit. At first, you might notice a dampening in your performance, but in time, it will become a subconscious activity and you will excel well beyond your current skill.

This leaves the second principle of Ganon's metagame, spacing. Because Ganon cannot cover long distances fast enough, he has to constantly position himself to a point where he won't have to move too far to punish his opponent. One example of proper spacing is when edgeguarding. Your opponent is on the ledge, and you are on the stage. Where should you be on the stage though? You know your opponent can do the following: Ledgehop, stand up/stand up+attack, roll, jump into the fray(Area you jump into when hitting X or Y on the ledge), or he could stall on the ledge.

If you position yourself right next to the edge then you've already lost the battle. Depending on the character, they could continue stalling or jump up and smack you while they still have their invulnerability frames. On top of this, characters can easily elude you by positioning themselves far enough behind you(with rolling) that Ganon doesn't have the speed to smack them during their lag time. However, if you position yourself halfway between the edge and the spot at with they end up after a roll, you will be in range to punish both these spots. Really, with enough patience and experience, Ganon should be able to kill anyone he knocks off the stage.

Another example is when throwing someone from a grab. After a throw, you should follow that players DI. Doing so puts you closer to the spot at which they have three options. Tech X distance left, right, or stay where they are. If you are at that same spot, you have the same distance X to your left and right, effectively giving you an equal chance to punish them on any of the three options they chose.

These are but two examples of how important position is when playing Ganon. Now that the importance of spacing has been established, one must wonder, how does one get good at spacing?

There are a couple of prominent ways to do so. I can't remember who, but someone mentioned that the best way to get down spacing with any character was to play games without using your shield. This will force you to defend yourself with attacks, and by doing so you will learn all aspects of your attacks. Such as their punishable lag time, their full range, timing, and priority.

However, movement is the other key aspect of spacing. I know I've said over and over how Ganon has **** for long distance movement. But in reality, with a platform, he can move swift enough in close-range quarters. Even with wavelanding, going from one end of a stage takes a long time, where as in close range, Ganon can seemingly put out a burst of speed. So, we know that Ganon can move short distances relatively fast, this is perfect for spacing. One can quickly adapt to the movements of one's opponents and keep the desired space between both characters. This allows Ganon to be in control of the flow of the fight.

With sharp reflexes and proper spacing, you can effectively wait for an opening to capitalize on. Once your opponent slips up, you need to punish them with everything you have. The downfall of many Ganon players is that their combos are short and ultimately only accomplish racking up some percent on their opponent. Sure, this isn't bad, but against good players, your combos will need to become something more. Combos NEED, absolutely NEED to knock people off the edge. Ganon's edgeguarding game is the deciding factor in many match ups. You can gimp people who are at ridiculously low percents-- just like fox with his shine-- by a well placed Uair. This is why it's imperative that Ganon players master his edgegame. This is where you want to aim to kill people. Combo from a low percent, end it with a big knock back hit (fair, bair, uair, ftilt), then keep them off the stage.

On a side note, you should rarely jump off the stage to edgeguard someone, especially with the Dair. Majority of the time there are better options with less risk involved than using the Dair, most knowledgeable Ganon players will attest to that. It is rather easy to avoid and it puts Ganon in a horrific position if you miss.

Once Ganon has control of a match, it should be his match. His attacks hit like a bulldozer. It is important to remember that even when you're in control of a fight, you must exercise patience. Too many times have I seen someone who's on an offensive run lose that advantage because they're too eager to hit their opponent and attack too early, rather than space themselves into a position that can punish their opponent's next move.

A few small tips now to close up

-Learn to combo people through tech chasing
-Grab, it's your friend, and you can tech chase from it
-Practice perfect wavedashes/wavelands every day
-Don't use side-b
-Don't miss L-cancels, especially through shields
-Keep your eyes on your opponent, not your own character
-Crouch cancel into grabs, jabs, or tilts, as these can all be combo'd from
-Last but most important, ABUSE YOUR RANGE

Real quickly I need to address L-canceling through shields. It's absolutely essential to get this timing issue down. Many high-tier characters can turn a grab into a 20-50% combo with relative ease. If you don't learn anything else from this, learn to L-cancel through shields!

In closing, I hope that when people read this article they don't accept everything in it as fact. This is my opinion on how I see Ganon's metagame. Different and more well respected Ganon players might disagree with me on certain information presented, I hope that instead you think about what I've said and come to your own opinion.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
well said DD. my new group is full of most noobs where thinking like is inferior to "spam the frack out of the Fair" however there is a good peach and a good samus who i think spacing and positioning would really help me out.

Magus420

Smash Master
Side B is a very good move =P Not just for techchasing and as a combo starter, but as an anti-spacing and defensive dodge-counterattack move.

About techchasing, Ganon for the most part is too slow to stand in a fully neutral position and be able to follow their tech purely off reaction into something and be able to cover all of their tech options at the same time. It's possible to react and intercept their tech choice depending on the positioning/their tech choice though yes.

Say Fox is going to land right ontop of where you're standing in the middle of FD (in the center of their techroll zone). In order to follow up their tech with anything in time purely by reaction you would need to react/determine if they are actually teching in place/right/left in less than like 10 frames or so due to the distance either techroll can put them from you. This isn't really humanly possible. It is for the quicker characters since they can get something on them quick enough after first confirming their tech/flop within the limits of human reaction time, but not Ganon. Again though, it is possible to react and hit them out of their tech if you're a little closer to where that tech they chose ends up, but had they teched rolled the other way and had the room to get the full distance on the roll you would have not been able to confirm their tech that way and be close enough to get them. If you can position them/yourself to shorten the combined roll distance a little and be near the center of that (like they land between you and the edge of the stage) then it's possible to cover all their landing options by reaction.

A good way to make up for his poor reaction based techchasing game is simply to cover as many of their options as possible. When timed correctly the side-b, d-smash, and down-b cover 3 of the possible 4 things someone can do when hitting the ground near you. They are not tech, tech in place, tech away, and tech behind.

When directly next to you a forward B can cover a flop, tech in place, and either a tech roll behind or tech roll away depending on which way you choose to do it. The pullback moves you behind them when up close and you do it in the opposite direction which is why you can go either way regardless of which side you're on. To be able to cover 3 options you do this JUST after/as they touch the ground. The only way they'll avoid getting hit is if they techroll in the opposite direction you decide to forward b in. Don't forget you can forward b out of a dash/run if you need to position yourself closer to where they land.

When they land around in front/behind at about the distance where your hand would reach when you jab/turnaround jab and a little further from there, a d-smash will cover a flop, tech in place, and a tech roll behind. You must time it JUST before/as they touch the ground (like a frame or 2 usually). Too soon and the first kick will whiff a stationary tech.

You can use a down b like you would a forward b, except that it can be used from around the spacing of the d-smash and closer to get the techroll away as the 3rd option, or you can get the techroll behind option for the 3rd if you are nearly ontop of them when you do it in that direction. This also works as a KOing/setting up an edgeguard techchase as opposed to the others which are more for starting combos from the techchase.

Also with the l-cancelling on shields, as long as you don't press it before the hitbox would hit them you will be fine (unless you're really high up). When the time between the end of the hitlag and when you hit the ground is within the l-cancel window (I think it's 7) the hitlag is not counted towards the window as long as you didn't press it BEFORE the hitlag. Say the d-air connects 6 before you would land normally, you can press it on the 1st frame of hitlag and still get the l-cancel even though you actually land like 16 later which is well beyond the normal 7. However, if you were to connect the d-air 1 frame before landing, but instead press L/R the frame right before the hitlag (would've been 2 before landing had it missed) the hitlag is included and you miss the l-cancel. Basically just learn not to press L/R before the hitbox would come out on them.

Top Bottom