• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Portal 1/2: Portal 2 only 5$!

Atlus8

Smash Master
It only needs to open the wall long enough to shoot a portal through. Just experiment with different timings and you should get passed it. However, the map seems broken after this part, so it may be best to wait for Mic to update.
Yeah, I thought of that as well, but the wall is hardly moving at all and there is just no way to squeeze a Portal in!

Wah, your test is so hard, I can't figure out what to do with both cubes once I have them in the main room. Walkthrough please? :bee:

I made another level: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68596194

My second level is better than my first one, what do you guys think? I want opinions! ;3
Played them both! The second one was kinda tricky, because
you can't see the cube that is near the exit! Took me two minutes to find out that it was there!
Make sure the player can see the tools that is needed to complete to stage!

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I thought of that as well, but the wall is hardly moving at all and there is just no way to squeeze a Portal in!

Played them both! The second one was kinda tricky, because
you can't see the cube that is near the exit! Took me two minutes to find out that it was there!
Make sure the player can see the tools that is needed to complete to stage!
Haha,
that was just a little hide-n-seek thing I wanted to implement in my puzzle, as the level name suggests it's "fundamental" to make sure you analyzed the stage well before going to solve your puzzles.

Other than that, I'll avoid that kind of thing in the future. I'm kinda newbie. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Atlus8

Smash Master
Haha,
that was just a little hide-n-seek thing I wanted to implement in my puzzle, as the level name suggests it's "fundamental" to make sure you analyzed the stage well before going to solve your puzzles.

Other than that, I'll avoid that kind of thing in the future. I'm kinda newbie. Thanks for the feedback! :)
No problem!

Now, I'm stuck in the third area. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to go back to the main hall, which has now been blocked off due to the inconsistency mentioned earlier.
I did some goofy stuff to try and get into there, but now I'm in the same boat as you! Can't seem to go back!

Kal

Smash Champion
Yeah, it seems we're going to need to wait for a fix. I think I will try and create my own map soon.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
ahhhh I wanna try mic's test so bad! pc y u no work!

I seriously need to decide if I'm going to scrounge up the money for a new pc or just a get a graphics card for my mac so I can at the very least play valve games.

D

Deleted member

i bought portal 2 this game better not suck a fat weiner

D

Deleted member

Mic I got the frankencube, now what? :p

having a blast with the editor myself so far, will probably publish my first (Serious) map soonish

Kal

Smash Champion
ahhhh I wanna try mic's test so bad! pc y u no work!

I seriously need to decide if I'm going to scrounge up the money for a new pc or just a get a graphics card for my mac so I can at the very least play valve games.
Is it even possible to upgrade a Mac? In general, rather than paying two to three times as much for a Mac, you can just build a gaming PC.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Is it even possible to upgrade a Mac? In general, rather than paying two to three times as much for a Mac, you can just build a gaming PC.
Possible, damn near impossible though. I've opened it up and have no clue what to do. The issue is that what money I have I'm going to need next year, I already have the mac as it was a gift for my brother and could get a videocard cheap off a friend. Not really what I want to do, I might get a good gaming pc some time next year, but that's next year :(

D

Deleted member

well source games scale really well with settings, so if you really "just want to play" you could just put everything on (near) minimal

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You aren't trying while on the floor of the main chamber are you?

:phone:

Kal

Smash Champion
Ok, I finished Mic's map. The trick is to autosave once you have both cubes in place, then autoload. This will force the gate open for some reason. Otherwise, there is no way to get out of there once you've placed the Frankenturret.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Not sure what you did with the franken-turret, but that was just there for flavour.

EDIT: Blarg, updated it, went to change the picture, and instead of deleting it, it deleted the whole map. Getting a bunch of 'Error 9' when trying to reupload right now.

Kal

Smash Champion
I placed it in the red square that activated the wall thing. Guess I could've used the other cube.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I like your map a lot! There is only one flaw that I wanna point out: It's in the companion cube chamber, once you enter that chamber, you cannot go back because the entrance platforms are gonna close when you use any portal, that isn't a problem. However, if you accidentally send your companion cube inside a portal that is in one previous chamber and then right after, if you use both portals inside the companion cube chamber you will be trapped forever. Because you cannot press the button to respawn another companion cube and you won't be able to go back.

But it's just a minor thing, other than that it was a nice level. :)

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Really?! I think the second one is much better, especially the overall script with Stephen Merchant(Wheatley), J.K Simmons(Cave Johnson) and Ellen McLain(GLaDOS)!
The second one was too simple-minded and linear. The first one didn't limit you to ONE solution for each puzzle, which I think is just silly. Portal one has portal walls all over the place and leave you to figure it out on your own, rather than just having to say "where are the portal walls and how do I use them?"

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
^I loved portal 2, asI've said before, but the challenge was hiding somewhere. Some of the puzzles were hard, at least in co-op, but usually because the solution was obscure or involved a lot conditions to be met to solve it. Still fun and the easiest puzzle in portal 2 still requires much more thinking than the hardest part of any modern triple A game.

The atmosphere and writing was great though, I do blame the playtesters for complaining when they didn't get a puzzle, that's the point, it doesn't come right away.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The second one was too simple-minded and linear. The first one didn't limit you to ONE solution for each puzzle, which I think is just silly. Portal one has portal walls all over the place and leave you to figure it out on your own, rather than just having to say "where are the portal walls and how do I use them?"
Yeah, that did get annoying actually. Good thing it was at least well designed...

Anyway, finally managed to upload it again.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=70254302

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Yes, the flawed design concepts of that made the game seem too spacey / unnecessarily big. Everything in the first Portal absolutely needed to be there and nothing was extraneous.

"Portal 1 was at heart a puzzle game with excellent framework while Portal 2 is a sightseeing tour that begrudgingly has a puzzle game in it."

You'd also have to keep in mind (previously mentioned) that Portal was stuffed together in the Orange Box while the sequel was just released solo.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Alright, made a couple maps.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=70705430
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=71474707
Not too long, would like some feedback, if you don't mind.
I'm about to play some of your guys right now.
Hello, your tests are interesting and I'll give you some feedback:

Your first test: You don't need that cube at all if you change the button type to open the exit door to sphere type. It's interesting because it adds a little more thinking than just shooting a portal on the ground and go floating with the beam. So yeah, I think removing that cube all together and leaving just 1 sphere in the puzzle would be cool. :)

Your second test: I liked it but it's too big, big as in the distance we need to walk. I noticed we walk more than we solve puzzles in that level. So, shorten it a little bit and it would do the trick. Another thing, that flip panel below the sphere dropper is pretty hard to notice, when people press that button to acitvate it, not only they are not in the range to see it changing, they will not have an idea what that button does unless they spend some time walking around trying to see what changes. Put it closer so people can actually see the flip panel changing and it will be better I think.

Edit:

I made another level, feedback is always welcome! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=71576519

This one isn't complicated at all.

D

Deleted member

rpsi's rooms:

I can't seeeeee
dunno is it was intended or anything but the lighting is really off. the puzzle itself was kind of a no brainer.

boy you sure like walking. decent puzzle though, but what was the laser for?

wezai
decnt puzzle but indeed too easy, I suppsoe the cube was reflective for no reason?

also, 2 new maps!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=71362209
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=71454038

first one is slightly easier, and the second one has a situation where you have to kill yourself (sorry, got overlooked in the design)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I really don't know what happened to the lighting in the first one .-.
I'm also probably gonna try to make the second one smaller, I didn't realize how long it would end up being, so I'll probably rebuild it with less walking
Also the laser was to take out the turrets. I guess I should add a third so you can't ambush them with the cube.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Bumping to let people know that Portal 2 is currently 5$. Will only be on sale for today, I believe. :b:

Top Bottom