• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Portal 1/2: Portal 2 only 5$!

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
tl;dr Portal 1 and 2 are like pieces of art.

These games are seriously ****ing amazing and between the humour, the voice work and actual story you have a great game. But then take time to have actual styles for the atmosphere of the game and music that matches the mood not to mention the awesome ending songs in both.

But that doesn't take into account the amount of story that goes on behind the scenes, the stuff you have to actively look for and then piece together yourself. Ratman has such a great story, and it's all written on the walls in hidden rooms.

And the Portal 2 Augmented Reality Event was amazing. Even if I didn't want to buy all the games they put on sale in honour of it, being a part of that countdown was just so cool and all the Portal related crossovers were amazing.

And I still haven't mentioned the gameplay, and to keep this section short let me just say that portal on it's worst day is miles above any brown shooter coming out this past decade. Portal is a gem and I'd like to talk about it, whether it be 1, 2, the comic, the DLC, or anything Portal related. I'll gauge peoples responses, if any, to my thread before going into wild theory mode.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Portal thread! :b:

Portal 1 was great. Portal 2 was more than amazing.

Anyone done achievement grinding for the tedious ones?
Namely the "Radio secrets" in Portal, and the Sealed off test chambers/doorways in Portal 2.

Kal

Smash Champion
I've gotten the radio secrets achievement.

Pippy

Smash Apprentice
It's about time someone made a Portal thread, its such a boss game. I didn't like the first one as much since it was so short, but the second one is one of my favorite games. It's sooo funny.

Btw, here's hoping we get a Portal3 soon. (Because we know they're going to make one. The ending in the co-op left it really open to a sequel. Plus it'd be so successful it would be silly not to make it)

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
The ending in the sequel was to set up more coop dlc. The most decry peer review picks up where it left off but proves to be nothing more than a side story. Best side story ever though. Ending was so hype and they smack you in the face with a joke.

Anyways, can't post it right now but portal post mortem on YouTube is worth a watch for anyone who is a fan of game design theory or just wants to see how development of portal 2 started. Just to let you know they had no chell, no glados and no portals at the beginning and 6 cores, wheatly being only one. They even show you a boss battle with a core which was awesome and explain how they came up with the ending. Original ending was too good and Im honestly torn between it and the one in portal 2.

:phone:

John2k4

The End of an Era
I am very excited for that.

Hopefully it'll be like the system in Super Meat Boy, where players can submit series of levels at once, and then others can play through the series as a whole.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
And don't worry, if you don't have Portal 2 and can't get the new DLC, you can always get the new hats that are going to be released for Team Fortress 2 instead.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Portal was fun, I'm slowly playing through Portal 2 now.

I haven't enjoyed a "FPS" this much since the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
tl;dr Portal 1 and 2 are like pieces of art.

These games are seriously ****ing amazing and between the humour, the voice work and actual story you have a great game. But then take time to have actual styles for the atmosphere of the game and music that matches the mood not to mention the awesome ending songs in both.

But that doesn't take into account the amount of story that goes on behind the scenes, the stuff you have to actively look for and then piece together yourself. Ratman has such a great story, and it's all written on the walls in hidden rooms.

And the Portal 2 Augmented Reality Event was amazing. Even if I didn't want to buy all the games they put on sale in honour of it, being a part of that countdown was just so cool and all the Portal related crossovers were amazing.

And I still haven't mentioned the gameplay, and to keep this section short let me just say that portal on it's worst day is miles above any brown shooter coming out this past decade. Portal is a gem and I'd like to talk about it, whether it be 1, 2, the comic, the DLC, or anything Portal related. I'll gauge peoples responses, if any, to my thread before going into wild theory mode.
The only folks who don't like Portal 2 fans are Portal fans, and vice versa. All others are liers. But anyway, this song sums up my opinions of Portal and it's sequel

I've gotten all single player achievements. co-op can be *****
I wish they made Overclocker 80 or 90 seconds instead of 60/70/Ican'tremember

*Cue Excitement*

Portal was fun, I'm slowly playing through Portal 2 now.

I haven't enjoyed a "FPS" this much since the Metroid Prime Trilogy.
"FPS" stands for "Frames Per Second" and/or "First Person Shooter."

Metroid Prime 1-3 are First Person Adventure games. Portal is a First Person Puzzle. Portal 2 is a First Person Puzzle-Plattformer

D

Deleted member

Not sure if you like Portal 2 better,

or a troll who needs to be infracted for their spam
besides the cool gimmick, felt cheated by amount of actual content in the game

portal 2 i would probably enjoy a lot more though assuming it has much more to offer

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
"FPS" stands for "Frames Per Second" and/or "First Person Shooter."

Metroid Prime 1-3 are First Person Adventure games. Portal is a First Person Puzzle. Portal 2 is a First Person Puzzle-Plattformer
I put FPS in quotes because I know it's not technically a First Person Shooter.

Those are just the closest things to the genre I can enjoy. :3

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Portal is absolutely sublime from start to finish and I will jam forks into my eyes if I ever use those words to describe anything else ever again.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
The problem with Portal 2 was that there was so much hype because of the first Portal that I was kinda disappointed with the solo campaign in Portal 2. But after all, you can't really expect a sequel to be better than the original.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman

portal 2 i would probably enjoy a lot more though assuming it has much more to offer
I also recommend Metroid. Has lots of content...

The problem with Portal 2 was that there was so much hype because of the first Portal that I was kinda disappointed with the solo campaign in Portal 2. But after all, you can't really expect a sequel to be better than the original.
Super Metroid, Sonic The Hedgehog 3/Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Generations (Depends on which faction you are), Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64...

And also, did you forget the Co-Op?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I liked both games a lot, but they were very different from each other outside of the gameplay.

My only gripe with the sequel is there wasn't enough of a challenge outside of co-op in most puzzles and the whoel
wheately will destroy the facility didn't make me feel much pressure like seeing that flame come on you and having to run away from death traps

but the ending to portal 2 was magnificent and the co-op is sooo good.

BTW, I guess if people want they can share their usernames/ids/tags for co-op if someone's looking for a partner. Remember that PC and PS3 players can play together.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I keep getting errors when I try to compile any creation with this new level editor. When I hit "rebuild" so the game compiles for testing, it simply shows me an error message. For any new chamber I try to create. And I have made sure that all the items logic are linked properly but still I cannot use the "rebuild" feature. :C

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
It's only for pc, yes. But if you have it on PS3 then you have it on steam and such can play it on pc if your comp can handle it.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Awhile ago I picked up to try this editor, it's very easy to use! To anyone who wants to check my first level, here's the link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68536357

I noticed some flaws, but nothing that will hold you back from solving this. I'll try to improve and come up with better ones in the future. :p

Also, when I get some free time, I'll do some "fine tuning" with Hammer for aesthetics purposes. ;)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'd agree if it was a full price game, but considering it was bundled with all the Half Life games and TF2, it was a bargain. Since then it's frequently been on sale for 2 bucks, and twice it's simply been free.

Anyway, I spent a little over 3 hours tonight having a blast with the editor. Finally finished and happy with how this ended up, so give it a try. The screenshot of the overlay doesn't really give it justice, didn't expect it to screencap the angle I had it at when I hit publish. Ah well.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68595268

Give it a try, tell me what you guys think.

Kal

Smash Champion
Can you update the thread with information about the sale? Portal 2 is on sale from $19.99 to $6.79, and the first Portal is on sale from $9.99 $3.39. The bundle containing both games is on sale for $8.49.

So maybe just write "Portal and Portal 2 on sale on Steam - 66% off until Thursday 4:00 PM Pacific Time?"

>_>

Ok Mic, I got your map and am ready to try it.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I'd agree if it was a full price game, but considering it was bundled with all the Half Life games and TF2, it was a bargain. Since then it's frequently been on sale for 2 bucks, and twice it's simply been free.

Anyway, I spent a little over 3 hours tonight having a blast with the editor. Finally finished and happy with how this ended up, so give it a try. The screenshot of the overlay doesn't really give it justice, didn't expect it to screencap the angle I had it at when I hit publish. Ah well.

Wah, your test is so hard, I can't figure out what to do with both cubes once I have them in the main room. Walkthrough please? :bee:

I made another level: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68596194

My second level is better than my first one, what do you guys think? I want opinions! ;3

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wah, your test is so hard, I can't figure out what to do with both cubes once I have them in the main room. Walkthrough please? :bee:
Heh, it's kind of a tricky thing I pulled there
I don't want to give the full explanation now (I'll update in the morning if you're still stuck) but you want to put both of them into the funnels. I won't say where or how, but don't expect the second cube to 'click' properly.

Kal: I'll update the title

Kal

Smash Champion
Mic, is there not an option to set up checkpoints or something? I got to the third room and a turret came out of nowhere and killed me. And I had to run through it again. The second room is also really inconsistent as far as getting the cubes to stay in the red holes long enough to shoot the portal required to enter into the third area.

Now, I'm stuck in the third area. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to go back to the main hall, which has now been blocked off due to the inconsistency mentioned earlier.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oooooooh yeah, it would still be doing that, wouldn't it? When I was testing I remember removing the wall part so I could just portal up there without having to redo everything. Yeah, you need to get back into the main room. I'll have to come up with a fix for that this afternoon. Until then, I guess, try and time it well? :urg:

Kal

Smash Champion
Man, that is disappointing. :( Anyway, just include a switch behind the wall and you're good to go, I think.

Atlus8

Smash Master

Not sure if I'm doing it right or not, but I can't get the cube to stay into the switch that is on the wall! It keeps flopping all over and can't get the wall to open!

Kal

Smash Champion
It only needs to open the wall long enough to shoot a portal through. Just experiment with different timings and you should get passed it. However, the map seems broken after this part, so it may be best to wait for Mic to update.

Top Bottom