• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky's Strongest Slave - Masked Man for Smash Switch

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman

Who might this be?
With immense PSI powers, a lightning sword and an arm cannon, the Masked Man is the formidable final boss of Mother 3. Originally Lucas' twin brother Claus, he left Tazmily Village after the death of their mother in order to become stronger but was later found dead or near death by Porky's Pigmask army. After his capture he was transformed into a 'human chimera' with forcefully repressed memories and began to act as Porky's strongest subordinate. However, he gradually recovers his memories when he encounters Lucas until he eventually remembers his true self and then...

How does he fight?
As I mentioned before, the Masked Man has PSI powers similar to Lucas but he is also outfitted with various other equipment to make him a versatile fighter. His arm cannon packs a punch much like Megaman's, his lightning sword can summon bolts from the sky as well as act as a traditional short sword. He even has a jetpack with wings to use as a recovery option.

Neutral B - PK Love Omega

My idea for this move is to have the Masked Man use a similar looking attack to Lucas' Up Smash but angled forwards instead of upwards and have it move at a relatively slow speed across the screen. Obviously the knockback and damage would be different because a moving projectile version of Lucas' Up Smash would be hilariously broken.

Down B - Lightning sword

A three hit sword combo that causes a thunderbolt to drop down from the sky on the final hit. This move can be cancelled during the first two slashes.

Up B - Jetpack

The Masked Man launches himself vertically to recover. There is some horizontal movement but it won't get you too far if you're in the side blast zones.

Side B - Arm Cannon

(As far as I can remember he doesn't actually use his arm canon in cutscenes so no gif here :facepalm:)

A multishot projectile attack where the Masked Man fires three small projectiles consecutively. This attack can be aimed at various angles by holding the joystick up or down.

Dash Attack - Lunging Strike

Self explanatory really.

And that's all for now. I have other ideas in my head for the rest of his moveset but since I'm out of gifs, I'm going to need to come up with better descriptions.

Does he have a chance?
If I'm being completely honest this is nothing more than a pipe dream but I still wish to raise awareness of this character and his potential. Mother is a dead series and the third installment came out a long time ago at this point however it does have a loyal fanbase who would love to see more representation in Smash. In terms of competition from his own series, Ninten and Porky are probably the other likely candidates but I feel Claus has enough going for him to be the most unique new Mother character in Smash.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Oh man, YES. I was actually going to make him a thread later today, because he was THE newcomer I wanted for Brawl. Is he likely? NO, not at all, there's like 3 Mother characters who would get in before him, but he is still very central, very plot important, and of course is big in some of the best moments in the game. I love him.

Something I think this post undersells is just how unique Masked Man could be in Smash 5. Who else not only has psychic powers which could be expanded, or FINALLY bring PK Love to Smash, an Arm Cannon which could easily be used like Samus or Mii Gunner AND a sword which also has elemental prowess? He has a crazy amount of smash things he could do!

Put me on as a support. Sakurai, if you're listening, LETS GO AND GET HIM IN!

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
I'm a huge fan of the EarthBound franchise in general, but I've always considered the Masked Man specifically to be a fantastic character with amazing potential for creating a unique and memorable Super Smash Bros. fighter. You can count on my support.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Hmm.

Pretty hard for me to support a character who is a massive spoiler in of himself.

Even if it is a little obvious who he is.

Would be nice to have him as an assist trophy, but as a playable fighter might be going too far for people who have not yet played the game.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Its not like Smash is no stranger to character spoilers. I like the idea of him, but don't expect him.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Hmm.

Pretty hard for me to support a character who is a massive spoiler in of himself.

Even if it is a little obvious who he is.

Would be nice to have him as an assist trophy, but as a playable fighter might be going too far for people who have not yet played the game.
But sheik tho and Lucina tho. Also spoilers for a 10+yr game seems ok.

I support, one of the three “likely” mother characters.

Morbi

Scavenger
But sheik tho and Lucina tho. Also spoilers for a 10+yr game seems ok.

I support, one of the three “likely” mother characters.
To be completely fair, it is not as though I can actually play the game legally. Despite people more or less begging Nintendo to localize it. If I did care about spoilers, and they just put him in Smash and spoiled the game, I would be fairly upset. if it was a readily available game for ten years, sure. My only hope is they announce the Switch VC at e3 with Smash, I could care less if they added a character from Mother 3. Unless it was Porky... Or Gigyas?

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Personally I think cross-promotion with finally getting a release of Mother 3 could be the way Masked Man becomes a possibility in the first place.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Personally I think cross-promotion with finally getting a release of Mother 3 could be the way Masked Man becomes a possibility in the first place.
It could also happen in reverse. We've all seen what Super Smash Bros. can do for a dying or dead franchise, so the inclusion of a character who looks and functions in a distinctly different way than Mother's existing representatives, at least to the casual player, might spark the necessary "boom" in interest (and potential profit) that Nintendo needs to finally localize Mother 3.

Well, one could hope, at least.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
First a localised MOTHER 3, then I will believe. :4lucas:

For now, I think we would be considered lucky if we can get Lucas on the base roster...

Morbi

Scavenger
I definitely know people hate to hear this; however, he could legitimately work as a costume for Lucas. I mean, Claus was. He absolutely could be different. But if I was a fan of his character, I would personally just want him in. One way or the other.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I definitely know people hate to hear this; however, he could legitimately work as a costume for Lucas. I mean, Claus was. He absolutely could be different. But if I was a fan of his character, I would personally just want him in. One way or the other.
*ahem* Not to spoil anything...

But he already IS.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I think the arm cannon, lightning control, wings, sword, and use of PK LOVE properly could potentially separate him enough as a character from Lucas enough to justify not being a costume.

In addition, I think he looks visually distinct enough that it wouldn't make sense.

At least in the Masked Man form. Claus is fine as an alt for Lucas. The best alt for Lucas.

UserKev

Smash Champion
You dudes got me hooked on supporting Masked Man/Claus again. Haha Claus is the only other Mother rep that would be fun to play as since Pokey is depressing, him and Giygas just making you feel powerful. No sense of balance. Smash could use more badass characters.

I support.

Zeox

Smash Champion
But this character would be overpowered against Lucas mains, since Lucas cannot fight against him.
Ok, jokes aside, I don't think I want Masked man, not because it wouldn't be cool, but because I couldn't bring myself into fighting against Claus one more time... when I did it in mother 3 it left me a scar.

Megakoopax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Supermario196
3DS FC
2320-6609-3767
Not a bad choice, I really like the Masked Man. I mostly like the unique moveset potential he can have.

CharM3D

Smash Rookie
yes please. mother 3 is the best game ever and needs way more representation in smash. that and an official english translation. preferably one that doesnt censor it too much. idk i guess the days of nintendo censoring every reference to death seem to be over so there's that. anyways masked man for smash PLEASE

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
What the hell..... like 4-5 years ago before smash 4 was released he was among the most requested characters.

He was usually in the same discussion as bowser jr, toad, krool, krysral, dixie, ridley, little mac etc. Its kind of disheartening and sad that this thread doesn't have a whole lot more support or why his popularity has fallen off so much.

He can easily be a character with traits of lucas, samus, metaknight, all ravelled into one unique moveset/ character. I have always supported his inclusion ever since lucas was included. The characters almost seem incomplete/insincere without each others presence.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
What the hell..... like 4-5 years ago before smash 4 was released he was among the most requested characters. He was usually in the same discussion as bowser jr, toad, krool, krysral, dixie, ridley, little mac etc. Its kind of disheartening and sad that this thread doesn't have a whole lot more support or why his popularity has fallen off so much. He can easily be a character with traits of lucas, samus, metaknight, all ravelled into one unique moveset/ character. I have always supported his inclusion ever since lucas was included. The characters almost seem incomplete/insincere without each others presence.
Honestly, he deserves in - he's an easy semi-clone that can use multiple movesets as a base (Samus, Diddy's Jetpack, Meta-Knight, and Lucas) and he would easily attract a lot of people into the series. We have 6 Fire Emblem characters - I think we should start rallying up that support for DLC.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
As cool as the moveset could be, knowing just what Porky did to Claus, to Lucas, to Flint's whole family, I don't know if my heart could take Masked Man as a character. I'd almost rather see him as just Claus, but I guess we kind of already have that...

...maybe if I could just lay the beatdown to Porky as a boss with Masked Man, that would make it alright.

I support.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I will always support more Mother characters. One of the series' most tragic characters especially when you consider the mental struggle in the final battle and the unused battle backgrounds. He'd probably become a fan favorite in Smash with how much he's equipped with: an arm cannon, a lightning sword, a jetpack, PSI, wings, etc. He's got a very sleek design.

He'll almost certainly never get in. I think we'd be lucky to get even an AT, but I will support.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
I've never actually played through all of Mother 3 but the characters story really appeals to me and the design is perfect. Like Megaman and Metaknight combined, would probably be super fun to play and I remember them having a lot of support back in the day. Would be nice to have a new wholly unique Mother rep too. (Ironic given who the character is, but yeah)

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
I’ve been wanting Claus in for a while now, I’ll join this party for him in Ultimate!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, I can’t believe I haven’t come here to give my support yet. One of the largest moveset potentials I’ve ever seen, great character, great game, let’s go!

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Masked Man would be one the best Earthbound villain addition for Ultimate, and although I think Porky Minch would be the ideal one, I can see Masked Man being the newcomer, while Porky turns out to be a boss in a possible story mode. I don't really have interest in Masked Man, but I'd be pleased to see another playable Earthbound rep after all this time, specially a villain, not like Ninten, which is other possibility.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Thinking about it, Masked Man could worm as a Lucas echo, and would help fill the villain quota. I support.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
You could justify giving him the moves of several characters, he is a chimera after all. :p

- Metaknight's tilts
- Diddy's jetpack (slightly tweaked)
- Samus' Charge Shot
- Pikachu's Thunder (slightly tweaked)
- Lucas' aerials
- Ness' throws
- Link's dash attack

Funny thing is I can actually see this working.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
You could justify giving him the moves of several characters, he is a chimera after all. :p

- Metaknight's tilts
- Diddy's jetpack (slightly tweaked)
- Samus' Charge Shot
- Pikachu's Thunder (slightly tweaked)
- Lucas' aerials
- Ness' throws
- Link's dash attack

Funny thing is I can actually see this working.
I think Masked Man as a Chrom-like echo for Lucas would be great and is somewhat likely. The only things that they would absolutely HAVE to change would be his up-b being similar to Diddy's jetpack and his grab/throws being similar to Ness' like you suggested. Everything else could be Lucas' moves with neutral b being a pk love reskin, side b being an arm cannon reskin, the stick being reskinned to a sword, and the aerials and tilts staying the same.

If they don't keep his moves mostly similar to Lucas' he might not qualify as an echo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Earthbound's a weird one in the realm of newcomers. There are certainly options, but with the series having ended with Mother 3, it does kind of make sense why they haven't added anyone aside from Ness and Lucas.

But of the options that are there, Masked Man is one of my favorites. Count me in as a supporter.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
If I take the mask off, will you die?

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
The more Mother/Earthbound characters the merrier, would love to see him make an unexpected appearance.

Top Bottom