• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POLL: The Final Fighter- if Pack 11 is indeed the end

The one character you see left

• Nintendo- New Switch Game/ Switch Dominant Character

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Nintendo- New Series (preSwitch)

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Nintendo- Wildcard Pick

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Third Party- Current Partner, New Series

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • Third Party- Current Partner, A Series already in Smash (playable character)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Third Party- All else aside, a series you view as "shouldn't be in Smash"

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Third Party- New Partner

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they really cared about Jack Frost at all for all that, the Persona spirit board was just all persona 5 stuff and in terms of mascot, Morgana was that, Sakurai literally went and hugged a Morgana mascot suit and we got a Morgana mii hat like slime and chocobo. I'd find it strange if there were other spirits for non-persona specific stuff but there isn't.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Right now my eyes are on Ubisoft. Between the base game Ray-Man amd Mario Rabbids Spirit, the costumes that came with Byleth something feels brewing in their little French heads. I’m guessing the Mario Rabbid will be the last character. Alternatively, Ray-Man or Ezio could join as well.

My other guesses remain a Splatoon character (probably Off The Hook), Paper Mario or a Zelda character.

Last edited:

IzukuXYang4Life

Banned via Warnings
Regardless of everything being said.

I just hope it's not another JRPG character or sword fighter that gets in.

Smash Ultimate (Like that one already drunk guy at the bar) has had enough in terms of DLC inclusion.

I personally hope the Final Character is either Crash.

Or it's an M rated rep like A Resident Evil Character (Smash Bros needs some survival horror representation).

Doom Guy (Smash Bros could use a First Person Shooter Rep).

Or Scorpion From Mortal Kombat (Just to make it the Ultimate fighting game crossover experience).

Also. Earthworm Jim, Lara Croft, Rayman, Klonoa (Just to give Namco one more character), Bomberman (Hoping Sakurai is nice enough to break the Assist Trophy Rule), ect...... would be nice as well.

But regardless.

What I really want is a port of Ultimate that throws in more old single player content like Break The Targets, Smash Run, Board The Platforms, Alternate Costumes For Everyone in the game like Project M (Not just the Mii's), and Trophies coming back.

That's all I want really.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I guess Isaac would be my Nintendo Wildcard. Nothing on the Switch for him, which fans of the series were hoping for, but oh well. Just gotta hope Nintendo doesn't care, or knows more than us.

My hopes aren't that high, but in my head he's the number one no-brainer for inclusion, as far as unrepresented Nintendo series goes.
If any other Nintendo Assist trophy gets added, I'd be disappointed but there's plenty of characters there I wouldn't mind playing as.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I guess Isaac would be my Nintendo Wildcard. Nothing on the Switch for him, which fans of the series were hoping for, but oh well. Just gotta hope Nintendo doesn't care, or knows more than us.

My hopes aren't that high, but in my head he's the number one no-brainer for inclusion, as far as unrepresented Nintendo series goes.
If any other Nintendo Assist trophy gets added, I'd be disappointed but there's plenty of characters there I wouldn't mind playing as.
A few other options (though I'd prefer Isaac)

• Ring Fit Adventure (New Switch title which sold insanely well...a second fitness genre character)
  • Balloon Fight (considering it was the baby of Iwata, Sakurai's mentor and the reason we have Ultimate the way we do)
  • Rhythm Heaven (A series with strong evidence was already going to be in Smash)
  • 'Wars (less about the remake, unless it is the start of something big, and more because Intelligent Systems must be in bed with Sakurai)
  • Excite (another series Sakurai just 'couldn't make work' in the past, when he wanted to)

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the sales of Ring Fit dont matter for this game, though it certainly would for a new one. But in general Nintendo is pushing Ring Fit since it is so popular, quite possibly being the biggest Nintendo franchise thats not playable now, this games Splatoon like for Smash 4. But at the same time I don't think Nintendo is forcing Sakurai into specific franchises with 1st party stuff, given one of them was Xenoblade 2 and he's never brought it up unlike he did with Minecraft and Tekken.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That didn't happen in time for FP2 to be locked in.
That's fair- the game only came out in October of 2019.
It doesn't mean it wasn't viewed as an up and coming franchise. Nintendo likes to push their RPGs, and they may have predicted some of the success (not the pandemic sales, specifically) after the hit of Wii Fit.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I would say that a genuinely slept-on pick here is a character with a very different playstyle to any other character in Smash, representing a long history with Nintendo and a new publisher rep for Smash, despite having been one of the first licencees for the NES... SunSoft.

Jason and Sophia, from the Blaster Master series!

• Blaster Master Zero has been pretty well recieved throughout the Switch lifespan
  • Blaster Master was very well recieved back on the NES, not to mention, well, being there
  • SunSoft doesn't yet have a rep in Smash... hmm.
  • Incredibly high moveset potential, with a variety of weapons from the games
  • Incredibly interesting moveset "gimmick" in Sophia being a LITERAL TANK

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would say that a genuinely slept-on pick here is a character with a very different playstyle to any other character in Smash, representing a long history with Nintendo and a new publisher rep for Smash, despite having been one of the first licencees for the NES... SunSoft.

Jason and Sophia, from the Blaster Master series!

• Blaster Master Zero has been pretty well recieved throughout the Switch lifespan
  • Blaster Master was very well recieved back on the NES, not to mention, well, being there
  • SunSoft doesn't yet have a rep in Smash... hmm.
  • Incredibly high moveset potential, with a variety of weapons from the games
  • Incredibly interesting moveset "gimmick" in Sophia being a LITERAL TANK
You see this as the likely character?
Yeah the sales of Ring Fit dont matter for this game, though it certainly would for a new one. But in general Nintendo is pushing Ring Fit since it is so popular, quite possibly being the biggest Nintendo franchise thats not playable now, this games Splatoon like for Smash 4.
I absolutely think we would have gotten Inkling in DLC for Sm4sh if we didn't have Ultimate on the way.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I'm fairly optimistic about the last fighter being a good reveal

Not really sure of who it is, but my educated guess would be either a Capcom or SEGA rep, I want it to be Shadow though and think it would be perfect, since he's the "Ultimate" Lifeform and all that. It'd also end the stigma of Sonic not getting any new fighters every single game.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge

Not really sure of who it is, but my educated guess would be either a Capcom or SEGA rep, I want it to be Shadow though and think it would be perfect, since he's the "Ultimate" Lifeform and all that. It'd also end the stigma of Sonic not getting any new fighters every single game.
Just the idea of "I Am All of Me" starting to play in a Nintendo Direct is so tantalising to me.

To be fair I wouldn't mind a reimagining of Shadow the Hedgehog (as in the game.)

Playable? Heaven,

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I wouldn't put money on it, but I think they are a slept-on pick. Besides, it's almost certainately going to be someone nobody predicted - I can't wait for Tiara and her echo fighter Cappy to finally get in lel
This thread is meant to be for what single character a user expects.

I really cannot see Shadow getting in now. I really don't think it even makes sense, given our expanded knowledge of 3rd party franchises getting multiple unique reps, and Eggman being a lot more iconic, as well as unique.

Then again, I'm one of those that is bother by the idea of making characters unique at a compromise of making them feel like themselves, and Shadow is literally a clone of Sonic in canon.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
This thread is meant to be for what single character a user expects.

I really cannot see Shadow getting in now. I really don't think it even makes sense, given our expanded knowledge of 3rd party franchises getting multiple unique reps, and Eggman being a lot more iconic, as well as unique.

Then again, I'm one of those that is bother by the idea of making characters unique at a compromise of making them feel like themselves, and Shadow is literally a clone of Sonic in canon.
Not saying he's in or a lock, but you heavily underestimate his merits, when Shadow has been established as the 2nd most popular Sonic character (despite bad rep and memes) and even Sakurai has praised him, which is insane considering that he wasn't a part of the original trio.

I still don't get why people say Shadow MUST be a clone or that he couldn't be unique when:

-Every single Smash fangame or mod gave him his own moveset, the echo fighter thing is literally a base game bandwagon that wasn't present before (back then people wanted him just as hard)

-He has enough merits to warrant one

-Sonic Battle and Chaos abilities exist

Also what? He isn't a clone of Sonic in canon, iirc he was created much earlier by Eggman's grandfather. He wouldn't feel like himself AT ALL as a clone, I think you are referring to gameplay mechanics (in which Shadow isn't the only one who has suffered this) rather than canon implications, hell, Shadow's most iconic move is literally a time-stop ability and he was shown to teleport around when he beat Infinite's ass (an important cutscene). Now before you say I'm biased because he's my MW and all, I'm completely fine with them being clones (Galacta Knight & Dry Bowser).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My biggest hunch right now is a Zelda character, and whilst I'm the originator of the Impa support since Smash 4, I doubt it's gonna be Impa. I rather expect one of the Champions from BotW. I suspect this to happen because of the addition of Pyra and Mythra and Min Min, characters added as DLC Fighters who could've made it as base game characters. Revisited ideas, much like Hero, Steve and Piranha Plant. Byleth is also a character that was added because of the succes of a Switch game. So I think a next character based on these loose criteria will follow suit. It's Zelda's 35th anniversary, and this last character was presented as a sort of "extra" addition, cause we already have 5 fighters on Fighters Pass 2 now.

A Ring Fit character also seems a likely choice. I even think Dixie Kong isn't totally ruled out even, given that Nintendo is probably working on a DK title .. Metroid am not too sure of.

And also I think Monster Hunter definitely shouldn't be ruled out. Nintendo invested a whole lot on this particular franchise, so I'd think a Hunter based on Monster Hunter Rise would make a whole lot of sense to add.

MattX20

Smash Hero
For first party characters to be considered no later than 2019, Ayumi Tachibana and a Rhythm Heaven rep have pretty decent chances. Third parties I'm looking at are Phoenix Wright and Master Chief (the latter of which is only due to the strong relationship and supposed big collab MS and Nintendo have in the future).

Edit, I forgot my first post for this thread. The other characters I mentioned still have chances.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not saying he's in or a lock, but you heavily underestimate his merits, when Shadow has been established as the 2nd most popular Sonic character (despite bad rep and memes) and even Sakurai has praised him, which is insane considering that he wasn't a part of the original trio.

I still don't get why people say Shadow MUST be a clone or that he couldn't be unique when:

-Every single Smash fangame or mod gave him his own moveset, the echo fighter thing is literally a base game bandwagon that wasn't present before (back then people wanted him just as hard)

-He has enough merits to warrant one

-Sonic Battle and Chaos abilities exist

Also what? He isn't a clone of Sonic in canon, iirc he was created much earlier by Eggman's grandfather. He wouldn't feel like himself AT ALL as a clone, I think you are referring to gameplay mechanics (in which Shadow isn't the only one who has suffered this) rather than canon implications, hell, Shadow's most iconic move is literally a time-stop ability and he was shown to teleport around when he beat Infinite's ass (an important cutscene). Now before you say I'm biased because he's my MW and all, I'm completely fine with them being clones (Galacta Knight & Dry Bowser).
I don't think Shadow has to be an echo.
I'm saying he is best suited to be an echo.
Just like Dixie could be paired with Kiddy for a switching mechanic, Octolings could use a completely different moveset from Inklings, Eggman could summon Metal Sonic as a means to fight, Master Chief could primarily use his energy sword, Isaac could fight completely without Djinn, Waluigi could fight entirely with sports paraphernalia and not use his odd movements at all, Lara Croft could holster her twin pistols.... but does any of that suit the character in the best way?
Shadow's time stop is an ultimate ability, a clear final Smash- and at best, a jump.
Majority of his games, he is used as an identical Sonic as far as abilities are concerned- such as in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and Sonic Heroes. He is the Sonic equivalent. He is known for functioning nearly identically to Sonic- that's his thing. He uses a gun in his spinoff game...does that mean his playstyle is best suited with guns? I certainly don't think so, myself. It isn't honoring the character.
He is a fan favorite character- but that doesn't make him one of the most iconic Villains in all of gaming, or even one of the most recognizable characters to the population outside of gaming. Shadow is an amazing character, but that doesn't mean he should be given a fully unique moveset.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Just like Dixie could be paired with Kiddy for a switching mechanic, Octolings could use a completely different moveset from Inklings, Eggman could summon Metal Sonic as a means to fight, Master Chief could primarily use his energy sword, Isaac could fight completely without Djinn, Waluigi could fight entirely with sports paraphernalia and not use his odd movements at all, Lara Croft could holster her twin pistols.... but does any of that suit the character in the best way?
Shadow's time stop is an ultimate ability, a clear final Smash- and at best, a jump.
Majority of his games, he is used as an identical Sonic as far as abilities are concerned- such as in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and Sonic Heroes. He is the Sonic equivalent. He is known for functioning nearly identically to Sonic- that's his thing. He uses a gun in his spinoff game...does that mean his playstyle is best suited with guns? I certainly don't think so, myself. It isn't honoring the character.
He is a fan favorite character- but that doesn't make him one of the most iconic Villains in all of gaming, or even one of the most recognizable characters to the population outside of gaming. Shadow is an amazing character, but that doesn't mean he should be given a fully unique moveset.
Yeah
Can be an echo? Sure
Should he? Possibly not, but if it's the only way he can make it then I'll take it

About the other stuff, I don't think Shadow qualifies as a villain anymore, just your run of the mill anti-hero.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I also believe that Shadow would only be Sonic;'s 2nd rep if he was meant to be added as an easy clone of Sonic, but if that was the case he would have been added in the base roster.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yeah
Can be an echo? Sure
Should he? Possibly not, but if it's the only way he can make it then I'll take it

About the other stuff, I don't think Shadow qualifies as a villain anymore, just your run of the mill anti-hero.
It's off topic, so I'll only ask this one last question.

Shadow plays almost identically to Sonic in the majority of his games.
How does it better honor his character to be made different for the sake of being different?

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
It's off topic, so I'll only ask this one last question.

Shadow plays almost identically to Sonic in the majority of his games.
How does it better honor his character to be made different for the sake of being different?
He plays like Sonic in some games, but in lore he has tons of abilities that would make him unique.
As I said, his most iconic move is a time stop ability (which surprise! His AT uses it). Do you think making him a worthless clone of one of the most badly received movesets in Smash's history would make him justice purely because of gameplay reasons? (and again, he's not the only one to have ever shared similarities with Sonic in this regard and by that logic everyone else should be an echo too).

It's a mistake to think it would be for the "sake" of it when that's how he has been portrayed in cutscenes and some games as well.
He definitely has more merits to be unique than against

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
He plays like Sonic in some games, but in lore he has tons of abilities that would make him unique.
As I said, his most iconic move is a time stop ability (which surprise! His AT uses it). Do you think making him a worthless clone of one of the most badly received movesets in Smash's history would make him justice purely because of gameplay reasons? (and again, he's not the only one to have ever shared similarities with Sonic in this regard and by that logic everyone else should be an echo too).

It's a mistake to think it would be for the "sake" of it when that's how he has been portrayed in cutscenes and some games as well.
Since you're asking me questions, I will reply to this once more... (but as the creator of this thread, I really don't want it to get so far off topic).

Yes, I 100% think characters should reflect gameplay, especially over lore and stories that do not affect character gameplay in home series. I have no idea why a characters moveset would be based on cutscenes in Smash, if they don't affect the gameplay of the character in their own series.
I don't know all of Sonic's games, but I know in Adventure Battle, Heroes, Rivals, he plays identically to Sonic. I know in games like Sonic 06, he specifically has the same abilities of Sonic (and otherwise DOES use attacks, such as the Chaos energy), but is primarily differentiated by the ability to use machines. In Sonic Colors, I don't recall him being at all different than Sonic (not that I have much experience here). In Sonic Generations, the only difference from Sonic's usual abilities is the Chaos Spear.

I do know Sonic is poorly received for his moveset, and I think the fact that Sonic was boiled down to his main features is another point in the face of why Shadow would be boiled down to the same mechanics. And again, if Shadow couldnt do the things Sonic does, it would seem like they aren't even from the same franchise, nor would it reflect the core of playing Shadow in other games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom