• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: SSB4 Roster Size, What's it gonna be?

What will the size of SSB4 roster be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
54 + random

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Rosalina
  5. Bowser
  6. Yoshi
  7. Wario
  8. Donkey Kong
  9. Diddy Kong
  10. Dixie Kong
  11. King K. Rool
  12. Link
  13. Toon Link
  14. Zelda
  15. Sheik
  16. Ganondorf
  17. Pikachu
  18. Jigglypuff
  19. Charizard
  20. Mewtwo
  21. Lucario
  22. Greninja
  23. Kirby
  24. Meta Knight
  25. King Dedede
  26. Marth
  27. Ike
  28. Robin
  29. Lucina
  30. Fox
  31. Falco
  32. Wolf
  33. Samus
  34. Zero Suit Samus
  35. Ridley
  36. Ness
  37. Lucas
  38. Pit
  39. Palutena
  40. Captain Falcon
  41. Shulk
  42. Olimar
  43. Villager
  44. Wii Fit Trainer
  45. Mii Fighters
  46. Chorus Men
  47. Little Mac
  48. Mach Rider
  49. Ice Climbers
  50. R.O.B.
  51. Mr. Game and Watch
  52. Sonic
  53. Megaman
  54. Pac-Man
10 DLC characters
  1. Ghiralham or Impa (really a Zelda newcomer in general)
  2. Krystal
  3. Captain Toad
  4. Inkling
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Sceptile
  7. Takamaru
  8. Chibi-Robo
  9. Issac
  10. Saki

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
So with 37 1/2 characters revealed (Mii's count as 3 and Lucina counts as 1/2 since Mii's plays like 3 different characters and took 3 times the development time and Lucina plays just like another character and only took time for artists/balancing) and 14 veterans yet to be shown how about all the people saying we would get less than 42 speak up with your "facts".

I tried to show you how the math pointed to at the very least 46 characters (unless there was a huge number of cuts), but you all had "facts" and not opinions (those really good facts which were "Sakurai has said he won't add as much characters", yep all facts). Now that there are even more newcomers revealed (as I expected in my predictions through my math) unless we get 10 cuts and not a single extra newcomer, there's no way the number will be below 44.

Not only that but if there are only 3 cuts (Squirtle, Ivysaur and Snake), even without any extra newcomer we would already have reached 49 characters. 48+ characters is basically a given right now since there are at the very least 2-3 more newcomers to go.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
So! Since this was last talked about we've had a plethora of additional information added. Any ideas on the roster size now? I think I'll have to eat my words and say that with the new info we're going to hit 50 characters. This is counting the three Mii Fighters as separate though. At the current 38 characters, adding in previous Brawl Vets -Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle gives 49, and Mewtwo would give 50. I think that's a fairly conservative estimate; while there likely will be cuts, I also think there are likely more than one or two more newcomers; I would say at least three. 50 seems to be a pretty reasonable guess.
Well I ate my words after E3 this year, when I accepted that Genmatsu was probably true, in my defense though my original thought on 44 character max was before I knew about the Genmatsu 2nd prediction... Anyhow...

I'm inclined now to believe we will see either 47 + random (5 cuts), or 49 + random (3 cuts).

I'm counting mii fighters as 1 for now, just because I'm guessing they will only take up one slot on the CSS (if they even have a slot at all, and if they don't then I would include one extra newcomer aside from the 2 left I think we are getting, or mewtwo).

Also, I know many want to count the mii fighters as 3, but I almost want to count them as zero.. since in reality they are just one big customization option, I mean, there is no "standard" mii fighter, but every other character will have a standard version, useable in tournaments and random online battles..

I know they took development time etc., but since there is no standard mii fighter, I'm inclined to not really count them as full-fledged characters in a sense..

and lastly I'm not sure why everyone seems to be changing their attitude about characters with genmatsu being off a little bit.. I mean its not like genmatsu ever stated that "the only newcomers we get are the ones being leaked", so why with it being a little off has everyone got so optimistic about there being lots more newcomers? it doesn't make any sense..not to mention, what it got wrong was at least in the same franchise, it's not like Simon Belmont or something way off just popped up out of nowhere..

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Well I ate my words after E3 this year, when I accepted that Genmatsu was probably true, in my defense though my original thought on 44 character max was before I knew about the Genmatsu 2nd prediction... Anyhow...

I'm inclined now to believe we will see either 47 + random (5 cuts), or 49 + random (3 cuts).

I'm counting mii fighters as 1 for now, just because I'm guessing they will only take up one slot on the CSS (if they even have a slot at all, and if they don't then I would include one extra newcomer aside from the 2 left I think we are getting, or mewtwo).

Also, I know many want to count the mii fighters as 3, but I almost want to count them as zero.. since in reality they are just one big customization option, I mean, there is no "standard" mii fighter, but every other character will have a standard version, useable in tournaments and random online battles..

I know they took development time etc., but since there is no standard mii fighter, I'm inclined to not really count them as full-fledged characters in a sense..

and lastly I'm not sure why everyone seems to be changing their attitude about characters with genmatsu being off a little bit.. I mean its not like genmatsu ever stated that "the only newcomers we get are the ones being leaked", so why with it being a little off has everyone got so optimistic about there being lots more newcomers? it doesn't make any sense..not to mention, what it got wrong was at least in the same franchise, it's not like Simon Belmont or something way off just popped up out of nowhere..

First off, I don't know how you still believe Gematsu or why your predictions come off of a most-probably fake leak, but lets not dwll into that.

Sakurai: "If a character has even a slight difference in play they should be their own character" talking about Lucina. How would that translate to 3 COMPLETELY different characters. In case you didn't notice, Mii Brawler has completely different specials and standards than Mii Gunner and Mii Swordfighter.

Also, you seem to think "Mii" is one huge customization character, but how will a person not wielding a Sword be able to slash with his smash attacks. How will a person wielding 2 arm cannons be able to punch while dashing? The Mii Fighters are 3 completely different characters each with their own 12 specials, just like every single other character now released on Smash 4. Only Sakurai weirdly worded it when he mentioned they have 36 specials because he was essentially bundling them into 1 (it still adds up into 36/3 = 12). That is 3 for every special move. Standards are still different between each Mii Fighter.

Also remember that Sakurai literally said: "Each of these Mii types is treated as their own separate character in the game". So that's something, although we have no idea what that means.

Sure its a possibility they might share the same roster spot but they are not 1 character in any sense of the word. All they share are the same looks and part of their name. Their design, playstyles and movesets are completely different (Basically it would be the same as calling Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur the same character just because they shared a roster spot).

About the optimistic of newcomers. No one is being optimistic, there's already 13 newcomers (11 if you count Miis as 1) and Sakurai stated that he has almost reached the last of the newcomer videos after he showed Lucina and Robin, emphasis on "almost". This translates to a minimum of 2 extra newcomer videos, possibly more. And each of those videos could have more than one character, although that is highly unlikely. So there will most probably be about 15-17 newcomers in this game (13-15 if you count Miis as 1). With a possibility of 3-4 cuts that's a huge roster.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
First off, I don't know how you still believe Gematsu or why your predictions come off of a most-probably fake leak, but lets not dwll into that.

Sakurai: "If a character has even a slight difference in play they should be their own character" talking about Lucina. How would that translate to 3 COMPLETELY different characters. In case you didn't notice, Mii Brawler has completely different specials and standards as Mii Gunner and Mii Swordfighter.

Also, you seem to think "Mii" is one huge customization character, but how will a person not wielding a Sword be able to slash with his smash attacks. How will a person wielding 2 arm cannons be able to punch while dashing? The Mii Fighters are 3 completely different characters each with their own 12 specials, just like every single other character now released on Smash 4. Only Sakurai weirdly worded it when he mentioned they have 36 specials because he was essentially bundling them into 1 (it still adds up into 36/3 = 12). That is 3 for every special move. Standards are still different between each Mii Fighter.

Also remember that Sakurai literally said: "Each of these Mii types is treated as their own separate character in the game". So that's something, although we have no idea what that means.

Sure its a possibility they might share the same roster spot but they are not 1 character in any sense of the word. All they share is the same looks and part of their name. Their design, playstyles and movesets are completely different.

About the optimistic of newcomers. No one is being optimistic, there's already 13 newcomers (11 if you count Miis as 1) and Sakurai stated that he has almost reached the last of the newcomer videos after he showed Lucina and Robin, emphasis on "almost". This translates to a minimum of 2 extra newcomer videos, possibly more. And each of those videos could have more than one character, although that is highly unlikely. So there will most probably be about 15-17 newcomers in this game (13-15 if you count Miis as 1). With a possibility of 3-4 cuts that's a huge roster.

Also in order for there to be 47 or 49, there would literally have to be a total of
Im sorry "most probably fake", the leak gets one thing wrong, and now its all a bunch of crap not worth anything? That is such a ridiculous assertion there dude..

And the Miis are just a big customization option.. there is no standard mii, there is no standard mii fighter, no standard mii brawler, and no standard mii gunner, they all need to be customized and created by a person first. They are different from all other characters that do have a standard, Lucina included..
They won't be allowed in tournaments most likely, and you cannot use them in random online battles..
Just like being able to create stages, and custom matches, we can now do custom characters, but in brawl being able to make a custom "small" "medium" or "large" stage, did that suddenly make people what to raise the total stage count in the game by 3?

Anyhow I am not trying to convince you of anything here, think about them how you want, I just feel that "in a sense" they are not like other characters, and may be looked at separately from the core roster, if one is inclined to see it that way.

And sorry, but how does almost reached the end translate into at least 2 videos?? That is nothing more than an assumption on your part.. it could mean 1, and the video(s) will not necessarily be showcasing more than one character.. again.. just optimistic assumptions..

Genmatsu being a wrong about one thing has not an any way opened up the floodgates to new characters.. I bet you we will see shulk, and some sort of rhythm heaven character, and maybe just maybe a third newcomer.. thats it. With all sakurai has said in regards to smaller roster size, and reaching the end of newcomer videos, to be having wild fantasies about 55 character rosters, is silly and a set up for disappointment IMO.

btw, I do think we are getting 13 newcomers, counting miis as 1, and possible 14 if they don't have a slot on the CSS. so with 13 new comers and only 3 cuts, that would mean 49 + random for a 5 by 10 CSS, assuming miis have one slot.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Im sorry "most probably fake", the leak gets one thing wrong, and now its all a bunch of crap not worth anything? That is such a ridiculous assertion there dude.
Just for the sake of discussion, Gematsu got two things overtly incorrect: that Chrom would be a playable character, and that Shulk would be revealed on Monday. He's also missed a number of other notable things that supporters have completely overlooked: No mention of Rosalina, or Charizard, or Robin, or Lucina.

In addition to this, people seem to forget that the predictions for what would be shown at that first E3 (WFT, Villager, etc.) were only made public after E3 happened. That was all correct, yes, but the second batch of predictions released after that E3 prediction have been inconsistent at best, wrong at worst.

You can believe what you want. Nobody has any right to tell you what to believe. But even I could release a "leak" after everything's shown, then claim I had further information from that "leaker". I choose not to believe it because my logic demands it. An inside source can't be wrong, otherwise that inside source loses credibility and shouldn't be considered any further.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Just for the sake of discussion, Gematsu got two things overtly incorrect: that Chrom would be a playable character, and that Shulk would be revealed on Monday. He's also missed a number of other notable things that supporters have completely overlooked: No mention of Rosalina, or Charizard, or Robin, or Lucina.

In addition to this, people seem to forget that the predictions for what would be shown at that first E3 (WFT, Villager, etc.) were only made public after E3 happened. That was all correct, yes, but the second batch of predictions released after that E3 prediction have been inconsistent at best, wrong at worst.

You can believe what you want. Nobody has any right to tell you what to believe. But even I could release a "leak" after everything's shown, then claim I had further information from that "leaker". I choose not to believe it because my logic demands it. An inside source can't be wrong, otherwise that inside source loses credibility and shouldn't be considered any further.
In my opinion, not mentioning things is not the same as being wrong about them, and after everything he/she got right, to say they should no longer be considered after getting one thing wrong (two if you count shulk reveal, which i thought was just a guess anyway) is a little harsh. Look, to me, like I hinted earlier, if we were to have got, Simon Belmont, or some other completely unrelated character revealed i would be inclined to think, yeah, there is probably lots more to this game than what genmatsu knows, but we got Lucina and Robin, both FE characters. thats why I still think events will play out as, we will get a Shulk video reveal, and maybe a few vets, and then the RH character will be an in game secret.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Sorry, but told you so.

Anyway..All right everyone, the voting is over, the final roster is known. and it looks like the majority was right this time. 45-49s win it. Congrats on your prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom