• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll should brawl have a story mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Well, my idea is like this:

You begin as a new original character who discovers a trouble in the Videogame world. He runs to search his best friend: Kirby!!! and the hero pair joins Mario and starts to battle the villains like Ganondorf and Bowser. In some part of the plot, a space cataclysm bring Samus and the Star Fox characters to the planet in question.

The story continues, while you unlock some characters you NEED to unlock to continue the story (Luigi, Marth, i don't know), you need to make it through some extra adventures or defeat bosses with a specific character or condition in order to unlock the not-so-predictable characters (Demille as example).

That's only my idea and opinion, heh heh heh ...

Well, it's not bad. It could work out. The thing is that I'm asking if that will work, playing the whole Story Mode with one character. And then I mean, every time that you play the Story Mode. That's what you suggest right? A new character that goes through the Story Mode. I can imagine that some people would like to play the Story Mode over again, unlocking all the features as they go. But I don't think that everyone would only want to do it with the same character, all the times. If you could pick which character you could take, it would be better. But, then the story won't be 100% right anymore since if I want to play with Pikachu, he would be missing at the Pokémon stage.

Chickenboy666

Smash Ace
Well, it's not bad. It could work out. The thing is that I'm asking if that will work, playing the whole Story Mode with one character. And then I mean, every time that you play the Story Mode. That's what you suggest right? A new character that goes through the Story Mode. I can imagine that some people would like to play the Story Mode over again, unlocking all the features as they go. But I don't think that everyone would only want to do it with the same character, all the times. If you could pick which character you could take, it would be better. But, then the story won't be 100% right anymore since if I want to play with Pikachu, he would be missing at the Pokémon stage.
Well, I'll be more specific, saying it like it'd be JSS.
It's not necessary to play the Story Mode over again and again, maybe you can save your progress and use the characters who joins you through the story.
Some unlockable stuff can be only for Story Mode, I mean, you can use Pikachu in multiplayer mode since the beginning, but as you said, you can use it in the story only after unlocking him there. Some others MUST be unlocked in the Story Mode in order to use them in the other modes. And maybe others can be optional, you can unlock them in Story Mode or through other ways (Classic, playing hours, I don't know).

And it's not only about characters, I don't know, you can use Pikachu since the beginning, but in order to use him with a specific costume you must recruit him in Story Mode.

Valo

Smash Rookie
Konuk, you've played JSS so you can understand my idea better than anyone here (except for those who have played JSS too, heh heh heh ...)

Well, my idea is like this:

You begin as a new original character who discovers a trouble in the Videogame world. He runs to search his best friend: Kirby!!! and the hero pair joins Mario and starts to battle the villains like Ganondorf and Bowser. In some part of the plot, a space cataclysm bring Samus and the Star Fox characters to the planet in question.

The story continues, while you unlock some characters you NEED to unlock to continue the story (Luigi, Marth, i don't know), you need to make it through some extra adventures or defeat bosses with a specific character or condition in order to unlock the not-so-predictable characters (Demille as example).

That's only my idea and opinion, heh heh heh ...
perfect idea, much like the story mode in kingdom hearts, and one of the newer mortal kombat games.

The thing is though, with story modes, is that if they spend too much time on it and forget about other parts, it could and up being messed up like thaw (tony hawk's american wasteland). In thaw the story mode is actually one whole level, and there is basically no loading as it was over-advertised. But in multiplayer and all other modes it is sectioned into a bunch of different levels, and has a horrible load time, which nearly ruins it.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
I think Chickenboy is awesome.

Here's my take on the story:

You pick a character.
<Cutscene> New game? Load Game? Options? etc.
Your character spawns outside a house, (Presumably yours) with the character's name on the... Mailbox or something, and you see a shooting star in the background, and it makes a loud crash behind some trees.</cutscene>

The adventure starts.
A pleasant stage, with a couple of smash original jumpable on "enemies".
After the stage, you find a crashed warp star, and Kirby.
If you picked Kirby, it's a crashed Arwing and Fox.

<cutscene>Kirby's all pissed off</cutscene>
You fight Kirby at the crash site.
<cutscene>After you win, Kirby befriends you, tells you through mime that you need to look for a bunch of crystals or something, and the adventure begins. You and Kirby/Fox hop through a warp pipe. You appear in Mario world. Save game?</cutscene> Note* Kirby/Fox is only there for cutscenes, unless you're playing CO-OP.

Familiar Mario music, items in blocks, Mario enemies. Pitfalls, and the like.

Cant be bothered with cutscene tags anymore.
You meet Mario. He's upset with the new Smash Original enemies entering his world and blames you for it. You fight him and Peach atop Peach's castle. After you beat them, you and Fox/Kirby enter Peach's castle.

From that point on, Peach's castle is the hub world, and you travel to other worlds by going down warp pipes or falling through paintings.

If you play as someone, one stage world becomes inactive, and if you chose Mario, the Mario
you fight atop Peach's castle wears original clothes (red overalls), and if you chose Peach, the castle Peach will be Daisy.

In the castle, there are a few smash original enemies milling about, and these seem to
piss the Toads off. You clear them out, and one of you rewards you with a crystal.

You can start collecting crystals and entering worlds now. Most worlds have adventure stages, whereas some of them are just fights.

Konuk

Smash Journeyman
Yes he is awesome XD i knew someone was CRAVING a great story mode everyone would love to play it if they can see it threw ur eyes and mine CB666.

eXspriggan

Smash Apprentice
hmm.. that description kinda reminds me of that one game.. umm.. for the ps1.. some guy with pink hair.. hehe, but anyways, sounds nice =)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
The Adventure Mode in Melee was a good idea that was improperly followed through. Only Mario's and Link's stage were truely smile worthy, and they wore out after a while. I think the boards should reflect a bit more upon that character's game, and they should really have it so that we can get a solid grasp of the stages origin, and the game it came from.

As for adding a plot, naw. I thought that might be cool at first,, but not anymore. Reflecting on it, a preset storyline limits your own imagination.

Konuk

Smash Journeyman
Adventure mode was the pits to me it didnt have a story like flow to either. Brawl Could Use more 1p Modes adventure, Story with original character, Classic, and Event. Im telling u that it'll be a great idea to add Story mode plus there still working on it so i wouldnt be surprised if they DID add a Story mode.

Chickenboy666

Smash Ace
I agree 100% with Konuk, a Story Mode is only another mode, it will not replace the other modes.

Sakurai hopes to see his realized dream in Brawl, and as I know, he REALLY wants a complete 1-P Mode. I'm not saying I want the launch of the game at 2008, this is only speculating, for example, I'm almost sure they have programmed a bunch of characters now (including 3rd party characters), but they will not announce them until the right moment. Same for the 1-P Mode, if Sakurai REALLY wants it, he won't work for it at the last moment.

lazyboy

Smash Rookie
i dont think they shounld becouse they are changing it and it might be as good as the old ones,like what they did to star foxs they killed it with the gamecube and the ds. like my diver ed teachter said keep it simple

Konuk

Smash Journeyman
i dont think they shounld becouse they are changing it and it might be as good as the old ones,like what they did to star foxs they killed it with the gamecube and the ds. like my diver ed teachter said keep it simple
You prove my point shadow and what are u talking about Lazyboy?:)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
As long as they don't remove anything (from single player) I don't care. I'd prefer if the characters didn't get into lovey dovey stuff like Mario having dinner with Peach etc.

It could be objective based like Metroid and have gameplay like Mario Bros. or Metroid (with normal enemies like Fox, Pit etc.). I'd like that.

Zelda_53

Smash Rookie
HELL YA!! that would be the bomb :laugh: more fun and all that good stuff.....sorry the fighting is cool but i'm a girl and i'm all for the fun in video games. but i do like the occasional fighting and battle stuff :psycho:

Zelda_53

Smash Rookie
hell ya! all the more fun for everyone! yeah i;'m a girl and so i'm all for the fun in video games....but i love the occasional fighting battler stuff....which is extremely fun :psycho:

lazyboy

Smash Rookie
lol but wth the control on the wii its going to to be hard and u cant play as long

lazyboy

Smash Rookie
oh then i dont care it if they dont make a bad story mode but it would make the game that bad

Stryks

Smash Hero
Id like for it to have a story mode, IMO, sakurai said, that he always wanted a in-depth 1 player mode in smash bros, but miyamoto always told him to just go and focus on multiplayer, there both have good points, i rarely play 1-player anymore, cause vs i way more fun, but now that sakurai has way mor etime to develop the game than he had with smash64 and melee, he will do whate he can to bring a good 1player mode...

this may be a bad exaple, being one of the worst games in marvel history, but for the few that played marvel nemesis, I was thinking the sotry mode should be like that; start off with 4 characters, u select these characters and, for example u choose mario, then u see how mario gets affected by the storyline, then after a few battles/adventure lvls what ever, marios part (maybe for now) will end, so u will have a new character for say, samus and u can either choose her or any of the 4 characters available, again this is IMO, so meh...

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
I would love to see a story mode mainly I want to see how Snake would react to a small moving tornado sucking pink puff ball (Kirby). And how Sonic and Mario would first meet for the battle of the century. Or even find out how all the third party characters got to the smash universe.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I like a good story, maybe Brawl could use one, after all it would still be Brawl whether here's a story or not.

Chickenboy666

Smash Ace
Red Exodus said:
As long as they don't remove anything (from single player) I don't care. I'd prefer if the characters didn't get into lovey dovey stuff like Mario having dinner with Peach etc.

It could be objective based like Metroid and have gameplay like Mario Bros. or Metroid (with normal enemies like Fox, Pit etc.). I'd like that.
Some comic scenes referring about past games are not bad idea. Anyways, you can skip them.

Stryks said:
Id like for it to have a story mode, IMO, sakurai said, that he always wanted a in-depth 1 player mode in smash bros, but miyamoto always told him to just go and focus on multiplayer, there both have good points, i rarely play 1-player anymore, cause vs i way more fun, but now that sakurai has way mor etime to develop the game than he had with smash64 and melee, he will do whate he can to bring a good 1player mode...
The reason because 1P Mode is not so popular or not so exciting is that, they preferred to work more on the multiplayer mode cuz the lack of time. With an exciting story mode, you can revisit areas and places in order to find, I dunno, costumes, maybe very hidden characters, etc. And you can talk and remember about funny or interesting scenes and dialogues through the story (maybe videos) like you do with RPG games.

Stryks said:
this may be a bad exaple, being one of the worst games in marvel history, but for the few that played marvel nemesis, I was thinking the sotry mode should be like that; start off with 4 characters, u select these characters and, for example u choose mario, then u see how mario gets affected by the storyline, then after a few battles/adventure lvls what ever, marios part (maybe for now) will end, so u will have a new character for say, samus and u can either choose her or any of the 4 characters available, again this is IMO, so meh...
Maybe the trailer 4 starters: Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu =P

lazyboy said:
i dont think they shound fix something that not broken
So everybody should play Melee, or maybe SB64, they're not broken, they're excellent games, why a new Smash?
I don't want to offend, but that's why your name is lazyboy, right?

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
I think story mode couldnt hurt the game. I mean think about it the story would hav to be insanely ridiculous it wud just add to the madness. especially with snake i can think of loads of MGS cutscenes being redone with kirby etc

Metaknightvision

Smash Cadet
Reading through all this, i had Kirbys Funk Pak/Super Star in my head, with the great cave level thing, where you gather treasure. Just reading through peoples ideas gave me an idea (and a first post i think hah?)

What if they produced something like The Great Cave Offensive section of Kirbys Fun Pak/Super Star?

For those that dont know it:

Its basically one huge level cut down into (i think) 4-5 different areas. One being an open outdoor area, another being a castle area, and so on. Basically just different themed areas. Now these different themed areas in total have 60 treasures for the player to find - and most likely if its your first run through, you won't collect them all. But the thing is, you could run through all the themed lands (they appear one after another) without collecting ANY treasure. Therefore it could be a short game, depending on your hunting tactics etc. Every themed area is divided by a boss to add to the difficulty.

So my idea for Brawl is:

Have one huge level, like TGCO (The Great Cave Offensive). Now this is where my idea splits. There will be two game modes, depending on if you're a "hero/heroine" character or a "villain character". If you're a hero, the world can be split up into however many themed world... lets say 6 for example. You can go through the worlds at your own pace collecting the "treasure" (in Brawl it could be trophies or something to unlock new stuff - i dont know, whatever is collectable in this game i suppose), or rush through to the end just fighting the bosses etc. So i'll give an example of how it could run

(presuming you're a hero character)
>Starting point
>First Level (A level from one of Bowsers Castles in the original Mario Bros. but spruced up)
>Boss : Bowser
>Second Level (Starts off from a section of Hyrule field, and the ending point is inside Hyrule Castle, however it is ALL in Twilight, where you fight...)
>Boss : Ganondorf
>Third Level (Starts off from one end of the Halberd or whatever Metaknights ship is called heh, and you must reach the bridge)
>Boss : Metaknight
>Fourth Level (Lets say its Corneria? But you start on the ground or on top of the buildings, must make your way ontop of a moving Great Fox, followed by on top off the Star Fox and Star Wolf team ships to fight...)
>Boss : Wolf (yeah i struggled for thinking of villains so im just making this up, im not saying hes confirmed in it hah - just to help along my idea :) )
>Fifth Level (F-Zero race track, where you must jump from car to car till they finish the race - bearing in mind they'll be trying to destroy each other and if you get in the way it leads to high % damage?)
>Boss : Samurai Goroh (again to help my idea along)
>Sixth Level (Pokémon themed level. Not quite sure about this. Presuming the characters in it, you must fight/force your way constant moving rubble which is being controlled Psychicly, up untill you get into the stadium from the first movie to fight...)
>Boss : Mewtwo (if hes in it)

Thats just speculation ^^ - Just an idea of the flow, give or take levels, and obviously add more to go with most characters and what not. However this order/the scenarios would change as i said depending on if you're a hero/heroine character or a villain. The above would be for Heros and heroines. but now for an example for Villains.

>First level (The first level from original Mario Bros. but spruced up)
>Boss : Mario/Luigi or Peach?
>Second Level (As if based before it was Twilight, have it start from a desert-like setting part of Hyrule, going all the way upto Hyrule Castle - but in the light world (as if twilight hasn't struck Hyrule yet etc ))
>Boss : Link/Zelda/any other hero/heroine LoZ character
>Third Level (A typcal styled level from Kirby such as Green Greens? with all teh usual suspected enemies and what not, finally winding up to a possible Whispy Woods - either alive and blowing wind or as if he's just been beaten by...)
>Boss : Kirby
>Fourth Level (Starts off on top of Corneria about Venom, followed by jumping from Arwings/Star Wolf teams ships, to finally reach the surface of Venom where infront of Andross.. perhaps? you must take on...)
>Boss : Fox/Falco/Heroic Star Fox character
>Fifth Level (Very Similar to the other F-Zero level. Maybe same aspect but entirely different course?)
>Boss : Captain Falcon
>Sixth Level (Obviously this level would be following as if Mewtwo was in it, so perhaps it could start at Victory Road, make your way through that, then climbing the top of the Indigo Plateau (or even Johto, Hoenn or maybe Sinnoh league stadium, it could be any! Jumping inside the stadium to face...))
>Boss : Pikachu/Pichu/Jigglypuff - depending on if teh last two are in it, or if there are newer Pokémon there such as Lucario

Sorry for the VERY long first post :p but... i think it could be a working idea. You could run freely through the levels as fast as you do in Melee Adventure Mode, or really take yoru time to discover the themed levels and find the "treasures" or possible trophies or whatever you collect in them

Let me know what you think *prepares extinguisher for when im flamed!* XD

Red Exodus

Smash Master
^^ nice idea. It could probably work a lot better than SC3's approach to story mode.

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
It would be really interesting to see a GOOD, DEEP storyline in SSBB...
Hum. I should write my own SSBB story...
... an EDUCATED one, mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom