• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POLL: One More 3rd Party

If you could only have one more 3rd party character in Super Smash Bros Ultimate, who would it be?

• Total voters

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
The basis of this poll is simple: If you could only put one more 3rd party into Super Smash Bros Ultimate who would it be? I created this because I want to see who the most popular 3rd party is who is not currently in the game. After voting, post below why you voted for them, and tell the story of your journey with that character. Were they a childhood favorite? Someone you've been rooting for a long time? Or do you just see moveset potential? I made a decision that I have a feeling is gonna be controversial: I left Geno off of this list. I did this for a number of reasons. For one, I was almost certain he would win. Secondly, while he is owned by Square-Enix he is a Mario character so I feel if he made it into the game he would not be treated as a 3rd party. And lastly, I feel like he's almost a lock for the game at this point, while I don't think the same can be said about other 3rd parties, despite the fact that a few could be considered highly likely.

Note: I chose to not include 3rd Party characters who have been disconfirmed due to appearing in the game as an Assist Trophy. This includes Alucard, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, and Knuckles among a few others. If this upsets you, there are plenty of other forums where you can express your support for these characters. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
**** you for not putting Neku on the poll. I am boycotting! How do you like that!

Last edited by a moderator:

aarchak

Smash Ace
I want Lloyd. He'd be great as the second Namco rep, and I really like his character and playstyle in his original game and believe he would work well in Smash.

**** you for not putting Neku on the poll. I am boycotting! How do you like that!
I think that's what "other" is for (unless you were making a joke).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hey, now. Let's keep it civil, k? Also, we can tell when you're trying to swear too. Doesn't make it any better if you're swearing at someone whether you fake censor it or not.

As for one last 3rd party, this is hard; Brian is definitely up there, but I'd love Fulgore too. Since I had only one poll option, I went with Rabbids. Easily my favorite among the list. Shadow is another contender, but I always liked the idea of one franchise having a total of one playable character. Richter could be the exception, a note that Sakurai is willing to have extra 3rd parties from an already playable franchise via Echoes only, or that the fanrule never existed anyway(I'm thinking it's the third option, honestly).

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Hey, now. Let's keep it civil, k? Also, we can tell when you're trying to swear too. Doesn't make it any better if you're swearing at someone whether you fake censor it or not.

As for one last 3rd party, this is hard; Brian is definitely up there, but I'd love Fulgore too.
Use your powers to put Neku in the poll plox

Hobnail Boot

Smash Cadet
I voted for Banjo-Kazooie. On top of just fond memories of them, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are my all time favorite games. I replay them completely every holiday season. Them making it into Smash would just be IT for me.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Banjo & Kazooie

I think they were my first N64 game when I was 3-4 years old, and one of my first games in general, so I've always considered them a favorite. Grunty's Revenge was probably my first handheld game... Either way, they've always been memorable; I remember being too scared to continue past Clanker after seeing his face when I was that young :p When I got somewhat older, I remember beating both games (well, maybe not Grunty's Revenge, but I at least got to the fire & ice level) and getting Banjo-Tooie after learning from one of my older cousins that it existed.

I also like Steve but can we bring back the bear and bird pls.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Banjo-Kazooie all the way baby! They're literally the only characters I've ever truly wanted in Smash Bros. If they got in, I'd be completely satisfied with this game and never need another Smash Bros. again, personally.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Banjo & Kazooie (oddly enough) are my number one choice (maybe second as well?) for Ultimate's third party newcomer.

While as a kid I played my dad's NES and SNES, the N64 was a Christmas gift to me in 1996, and was the first console that was truly mine. There was Mario. But right after him was Banjo & Kazooie. I really enjoyed the style of gameplay, the charming and sarcastic humor, the wide variety of cooky characters. And, as a kid, it was amazing to play. Unlike Mario 64, when you collected your prize--you could continue playing in the world! Novel. It really created a seamless experience to the quirky and legendary soundtrack of Grant Kirkhope. Every step of the way, you were learning new moves, opening up the freedom of movement. The first time you jumped off the flight pad and soared wherever you wanted to go was exhilarating. No time limits like Mario's wing cap. You could fly as much as you wanted so long as you had enough feathers. And that was level 2. The game got progressively harder as you played, to the point I got to Rusty Bucket Bay and genuinely got frustrated. Replaying the level over and over again, being exceptionally challenged like I never had before. It actually took me a couple years before going back to it, and going into the last world was both a nostalgic and novel experience, all the way to the final boss that tested everything that I knew.

It was critically and financially successful, as well as its sequel, Banjo-Tooie, which was larger, more complex and was able to add on to the freedom of movement you had from the first one. Banjo-Kazooie is one of the best games on the N64, and solidified Banjo & Kazooie as Nintendo icons. Until something horrible happened--Microsoft bought off Rare, made ports for its console, and remained dormant until they came out with Nuts & Bolts, which turned this charming platformer into a make-a-car game. It was confusing, lacking any of the personality of the original games, and I bailed out after the first few segments of the first world. Despite this, Nuts and Bolts has its fans, even people who had never played the original games, and really speaks to the power of the characters themselves.

Had the Rare buyout not been starting during the development of Melee, Banjo & Kazooie would have certainly been in. They were Nintendo icons, one of the best of the platforming and collect-a-thon genres of that time. And their game is all about learning new moves--rolling, pecking at baddies with Kazooie, charging with Kazooie's beak. Kazooie's flight allows for a variety of movement options, as well as shooting eggs make Banjo & Kazooie a dynamic figher. Not to mention all the individual moves you learn in Tooie, including swinging Banjo's backpack and swiping at foes with Kazooie's wings. There are so many ways you could take the character. A two-in-one fighter, that could either remain standalone similar to the Ice Climbers, or switched around like Pokemon Trainer, with a lot of moves that are quite similar to the Duck Hunt dog--perhaps inspired? And while they may share similarities with these fighters, their breadth of moves throughout the two games could make them a very unique fighter on their own.

And many of the elements of the games fit nicely into Smash. A variety of worlds that could become stages, including the iconic Spiral Mountain, or Grunty's Castle. Mumbo Jumbo would make an excellent assist trophy--temporarily turning opponents into useless washing machine allowing a full on assault. Or turning Banjo-Kazooie into a T-Rex. Gruntilda would be a fantastic stage boss, a unique character in her own right, flying around on her broomstick, throwing fireballs, and to attack her you hit her in her bulbous butt (reminds me of a 30 minute promotional video that liked to emphasize that). And her Rhymes could be this game's Snake's Codecs and Palutena's Guidance, snarky comments on the other Smash characters in silly rhymes. Or Brentilda, her sister, who could dish out all the dirty secrets on Smash characters. The stages and characters would make a great addition to Smash, as well as it's amazing soundtrack, composed by Grant Kirkhope.

All in all, Banjo & Kazooie has been one of the biggest missed opportunities. While I never had a Gamecube to speculate in the Melee days, while playing Brawl I was incredibly aware of their absence. Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Pikachu, Bowser, Zelda. Even Sonic? It seems like a certain Nintendo character's missing. And it's not entirely a pipe dream, as Phil Spencer, head of Xbox, has expressed his interest in seeing Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, the same time the ballot was going on and Banjo & Kazooie's popularity were fairly strong, especially among third parties. To me, while there are characters I'd like in Smash, and I in no ways want to demean other character choices that to other's are just as worthy given their relationship to their favorite characters, for me, at least, Banjo & Kazooie are the missing piece, and would complete the roster given their legacy with Nintendo, their moves, characters, music, the nostalgia, as well as the potential to work with a rival, and in my mind, correct a big mistake in Nintendo's history. Banjo & Kazooie may have different owners, but they will always remain Nintendo characters in my heart, and they deserve to come back home where they belong.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
All in all, Banjo & Kazooie has been one of the biggest missed opportunities. While I never had a Gamecube to speculate in the Melee days, while playing Brawl I was incredibly aware of their absence. Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Pikachu, Bowser, Zelda. Even Sonic? It seems like a certain Nintendo character's missing. And it's not entirely a pipe dream, as Phil Spencer, head of Xbox, has expressed his interest in seeing Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, the same time the ballot was going on and Banjo & Kazooie's popularity were fairly strong, especially among third parties. To me, while there are characters I'd like in Smash, and I in no ways want to demean other character choices that to other's are just as worthy given their relationship to their favorite characters, for me, at least, Banjo & Kazooie are the missing piece, and would complete the roster given their legacy with Nintendo, their moves, characters, music, the nostalgia, as well as the potential to work with a rival, and in my mind, correct a big mistake in Nintendo's history. Banjo & Kazooie may have different owners, but they will always remain Nintendo characters in my heart, and they deserve to come back home where they belong.

I basically agree with everything you said, especially the part about how no matter what Banjo & Kazooie are Nintendo characters to you. I feel the same way. They're apart of the family and them being in the game would be the ultimate reunital. Seeing him back with the gang would be awesome. Also I love your banner saying only one piece of the puzzle is missing, that's awesome!

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Duke Nukem, he’s been on a Nintendo console at least... Edit sorry he has Six different games on different Nintendo consoles, one less than Sony ( But that’s with 3D on the ps1 3 & 4)

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
My choice is Phoenix Wright.

With how loyal he is to being Nintendo exclusive, along with his games being fantastic and among my all-time favorites, I would be over the moon if he was added. There's so much fun moveset potential to be had, and he could have an echo fighter in either Miles Edgeworth or Apollo Justice. With Ace Attorney being relevant with new games being released every few years, along with a rumored upcoming one for the Switch, Phoenix would be an amazing character to add, if nothing else than to give an underrated series the exposure it deserves.

If anyone is interested, I wrote an article for Source Gaming a couple of years ago about reasons for Phoenix being included or excluded in Smash.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
My vote was Banjo Kazooie.
Definitely both of their games on N64 (never played the xbox one) were some of my favorite platformers ever on such console. They had such good stories and humor… I was just charmed by them immediately. They were just the perfect mix of many aspects of a videogame. They made me scared, laugh, sad, etc. They have such a large moveset potential, specially in Banjo Tooie, the moveset can be super creative and different. To not have Banjo Kazooie in Smash at this point already seemed to me insane, and this year it's their 20th anniversary… many have showed love to the franchise, figures, plushies, costumes on indie games, etc… Nintendo is still MIA when it comes to recognizing and giving some love to the franchise, and Smash seems to be the best chance and way to show them some love after so many years. Sakurai can definitely do them justice and bring new fans to play their games, I'm sure of it!

I will say that my other votes would've been Sora, Geno and Lloyd Irving, but sadly the vote button only works once and I had to be true to my feelings of who I'm most excited to see :ness:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Since I only gotta pick one, I have to go with Rayman. Not to mention my second most wanted is leading the poll.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Still rooting for my boy Rayman.

Sonic, Mario, and Rayman are my top 3 favorite video game franchises. To have them in the same game fighting with/against would be an absolute dream come true.

He may not be as well-known as Sonic or Pac-Man, but he’s still an icon through and through.
7D907787-B42E-4425-9510-3920DB294603.gif

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Banjo & Kazooie would be the best possible choice. The duo has been desired since Melee, and I can't think of a third party character who isn't in the game already more beloved by the Nintendo fan base than Banjo & Kazooie. They would probably be the best characters to end the game on.

That being said... the 3rd party I'd be most excited to see at this point is Shantae, but I'd want her design to be more in line with her original Game Boy Color design or Risky's Revenge. Those art styles fit her best in my opinion.

It's a tough call. Do I go with my selfish desire for Shantae, or go with the crowd pleaser, the duo that would make the most amount of people happy, Banjo & Kazooie?

Jjab430

Smash Cadet
Alucard would've been my first choice but with him being an assist trophy that dream is dead. Chun Li or Master Chief would be pretty dope

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
I have no attachment to Banjo and Kazooie, but I feel like they are the most deserving third party characters to be in Smash due to their history, and I would be happy for the fans.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
If I were trying to make the most amount of people happy and fulfill the most amount of dreams I'd pick Banjo.
Unfortunately for the dreamers I'm a selfish son of a gun so I'm picking Shantae.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
my heart tells me shadow, but i believe there are other third parties who offer a LOOOOT more than he does
so, i picked...
professor layton.
his moveset would probably be fun okay

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Banjo and Kazooie, hands down and without a doubt.

While other 3rd Party Characters have appeared on Nintendo consoles, Banjo-Kazooie are in a unique situation where they were actually owned by Nintendo at one point during the N64 era and it would have the most meaning if they made their grand return on a Nintendo Console on their 20th Anniversary, It could be Nintendo's way of saying:

"Even though your not part of our company anymore,Your roots and origin are with us and we never forget one of our own, Legal issues don't change the fact that you were and are still Nintendo characters in spirit and We would like to show you our appreciation by immortalizing you "Banjo and Kazooie" as Nintendo All-Star's and finally welcoming your return to the grandest stage of them all in Super Smash Bros Ultimate"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would appreciate if you would please edit the poll to put in Bomberman (and for that matter, others like Zero and Grey Fox), who I would vote for. Just because he’s an Assist Trophy doesn’t mean that his fans goes away. If you are going to include so many of them, he’s a glaring omission no matter his status.

Last edited by a moderator:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I would appreciate if you would please edit the poll to put in Bomberman (and for that matter, others like Zero and Grey Fox), who I would vote for. Just because he’s an Assist Trophy doesn’t mean that his fans goes away. If you are going to include so many of them, he’s a glaring omission no matter his status.
I think this is more based on the idea of characters that still have a chance for the base game.

Top Bottom