• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

:Poll: Next release coming soon VOTE NOW!!!

who will be chosen

• Total voters

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
People keep saying Samus over any character, but PMBR hasn't confirmed whether or not they fixed her physics anomalies yet.

I voted Samus just because of the excitement around her - it's easy to see the PMBR running into issues with Yoshi or Olimar and saying "alright, let's shelve this character for a while and come back later." At the same time, I could see then hitting a wall with Samus and saying "Ksssh, who the hell do you think we are? We're the Project M Backroom!!!" and then going on a coding rampage until she's working properly.

That speculation is based on absolutely nothing. : D

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I voted for all of them, because they said they're goal was to bring back all of the vets for 3.0.
I think that's a goal they're capable of fulfilling.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
It would be lovely to say that all of them would be coming.

From my viewpoint though I want to say that the next characters that are coming will be Yoshi, Samus and Kirby

I have my reasons to think Kirby won't be in but they are insignificant.

I think the PMBR is probably going through extensive balancing for Olimar and Ice climbers due to those characters playstyles.
The other three however, I'm sure they have worked out all the kinks and what not. Probably just finishing up the Kirby hats.

Makes me wonder, would kirby take on the appearance of an Alt costume?

That speculation is based on absolutely nothing. : D
That's....
:cool:
Rich.

Malion

Smash Ace
I guessed Yoshi. It seems like it would have the least issue... and barring him, Samus. IC and Olimar seem hella complicated and Kirby just got a lot more complicated with the clones and new costumes (though likely he won't gain hats of alt-costumes like Dr. Mario similar to how he can't get Wario's yellow hat)

Fortress

Smash Master
I'm going to say Samus, Yoshi, and the Ice Climbers. Kirby, not so much, since I'm guessing he'll be the last added just because of his Neutral B, and Olimar before that because... because, well, Olimar.

Super
hyped for Olimar, though. I can't wait to see that leader of men be the beast he truly is.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I still don't see why kirby's neutral B is an issue... It's not like he can absorb characters that haven't been released yet.

Fortress

Smash Master
Not so much that, but that I'm assuming PM:BR wants the cast to be fleshed out and ready to go before bringing Kirby, somebody who uses all of their abilities, into the fray.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I agree, Yoshi seems like the easiest to implement out of the remaining characters. I hope we get a big announcement soon. Winter isn't until late December.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I still don't see why kirby's neutral B is an issue... It's not like he can absorb characters that haven't been released yet.

I think it'd be the clone engine characters. If Kirby eats Roy, what happens - does he get Roy's hat, or Marth's? Where can they put the data for Roy's hat? If Kirby has space for every character's hat, is it in the PMBR's capability to make memory for new hats? They've figured out how to clone characters using existing, empty file space in Brawl, but is there existing, empty file space for Kirby hats for those guys? If not, it becomes tough.

If the PMBR has figured this out and solved these questions, then Kirby will probably be added in 3.0. Those sound like they could be real tricky, tho.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Shoot, I meant to put in Samus and Yoshi, but I only put in Yoshi. :urg:

I can see them having minor issues with Samus and Yoshi, but honestly, I think they were held back because the characters confirmed thus far have been a higher priority.

As for Kirby, the problem with him is that if he eats Roy, he becomes t3h ph1r3!!!!

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I think it'd be the clone engine characters. If Kirby eats Roy, what happens - does he get Roy's hat, or Marth's? Where can they put the data for Roy's hat? If Kirby has space for every character's hat, is it in the PMBR's capability to make memory for new hats? They've figured out how to clone characters using existing, empty file space in Brawl, but is there existing, empty file space for Kirby hats for those guys? If not, it becomes tough.

If the PMBR has figured this out and solved these questions, then Kirby will probably be added in 3.0. Those sound like they could be real tricky, tho.
But up until now, this release-to-come, this has never been an issue, yet the statement has always been the same: "I bet PMBR is just withholding kirby because of copy abilities!"

@johnknight1, PMBR is composed of many people, and not all of them work on the same things. Character designs for one character generally won't hold other character's back because many people are dedicated to one or a few characters. As far as PMBR has said, it hasn't been an issue of priority, it's been issues of proper design/balancing/coding.

Fortress

Smash Master
Pretty sure it's got a lot to do with the fact that if anybody's neutral-b changes, then Kirby would have to be changed up as well. I'm sure PM:BR would rather just do Kirby last, save all of the time and trouble. So, it's exactly that; issues with proper design and balance.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
But up until now, this release-to-come, this has never been an issue, yet the statement has always been the same: "I bet PMBR is just withholding kirby because of copy abilities!"

Oh yeah, it's a pretty common thing for people to cite that as why Kirby isn't in yet. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I can see why people say that.

However, I know they've been trying to do the clone engine for a long, long time. I think it was 2009 when Danturion started working on it, possibly independently of the PMBR at that point? (I could be totally wrong about that, so feel free to yell at me if I am haha). So when they started the project and there was the potential to maybe, one day, years in the future, bring back Roy and Mewtwo, they may have said "okay, so let's hold off on Kirby for now, because we don't even know what the clone engine is going to look like and it'd be really silly if we couldn't release Roy and Mewtwo because Kirby's hats weren't working."

Idk. I'm probably wrong. =D

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Oh yeah, it's a pretty common thing for people to cite that as why Kirby isn't in yet. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I can see why people say that.

However, I know they've been trying to do the clone engine for a long, long time. I think it was 2009 when Danturion started working on it, possibly independently of the PMBR at that point? (I could be totally wrong about that, so feel free to yell at me if I am haha). So when they started the project and there was the potential to maybe, one day, years in the future, bring back Roy and Mewtwo, they may have said "okay, so let's hold off on Kirby for now, because we don't even know what the clone engine is going to look like and it'd be really silly if we couldn't release Roy and Mewtwo because Kirby's hats weren't working."

Idk. I'm probably wrong. =D
That would actually make a lot of sense for them to do.

Malion

Smash Ace
I don't think it's just new Kirby hats to worry about... some existing characters like Lucas have new neutral B moves that Kirby now has to have. I'm not sure if they'll let him have the psychic hands power-up thing or just give him something similarish.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Kirby having lucas' power up and his smash attacks as well seems legit

Rizner

Smash Ace
From what I remember hearing in the past (maybe 8 months ago?) is that Kirby isn't added yet because they couldn't figure out how to modify the copied abilities to match the new ones at the time -- so he would go against a character who had their neutral b nerfed, then he would still have their brawl neutral b. If they figured this out, I think it wouldn't be too hard to finish kirby up, as I'd assume a lot of his other moves would have already been decided/started on, but it would take a lot of time to add in all the moves he has the potential of getting.

For the alt costume, I think it would be entertaining to have his alt get hats of the opponents alt, but he'd still look the same. Other than that, could do epic yarn kirby as an alt.

But yeah, voted Kirby b/c Kirby da best

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
Samus is probably my most wanted, but Kirby is VERY close. I'm anxious to see an actually viable version of his character in a Melee environment. I'm also stoked for Yoshi. Behind him, Olimar. IC's probably last.

It's so hard to choose D:

When that next release comes out though...

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
to be fair, they haven't really said anything about any character other than anyone could be in 3.0....
They confirmed on Reddit that Samus is a future fan favourite that's relatively true to her Melee incarnation... which doesn't really mean much.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Gotta go with Samus. If I had to choose a second character, I'd say Yoshi

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
I hope in the next release every character is deleted except Fox. There we go PM is balanced now.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Oo, as far as who I'd like to see the most...

Yoshi first, because he's my brother's main and one of my favorite characters (I never play as him, but I love the character haha). It'd be nice if my bro could have his main back and we could do a Yoshi vs. DK match again. =)

ICies second, I fell in love with those guys in Melee and I just love their playstyle. I know it'll be difficult to get them in, but I'm really pumped to play them.

Kirby might actually be third - I'm so curious to see if they can bring him back to the N64 glory days where he was a beast.

Samus fourth and Oli fifth, just because I love those characters but never personally got into them. I do wanna start playing Samus when she comes out, though - the hype for her is contagious, and I'm totally infected.

As for Oli, Brawl kind of made me dislike him a bit, but that's not fair to the character. I'm sure it'll be like MK, where as soon as he comes out in Project M and isn't as ridiculous as he used to be, it'll be fine.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I chose Yoshi. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY miss Samus, but I see a lot of potential in his Project M incarnation simply BECAUSE he's considered a unviable character in the Melee scene. I imagine him getting something similar to Ness and Lucas's Double Jump Cancel mechanics, to help with his "back to stage" options, along with amplifying his potent aerials. Better shield mechanics, though it's tough to think of a complete negation of his "Parry" technique, and a few tweaks to his grab "hitboxes". I really don't know though.

As for Samus, I'd dig a mix of SD Remix Samus, with a few other buffs and mechanics the PMBR is itching to try.

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
Who will, realistically, get in for 3.0?
Samus.

Who do I WISH will get in for 3.0?
<-- Take a wild guess.

Also, what's up with the Olimar hate? He's one of the funnest characters to fight in Brawl!

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I choose samus. She is way too much requested by my friends. I even have one friend that says he would gladly play project m more if samus were in it because she is his main.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
what if, instead of the copy ability, kirby gets a new neutral b

that way it circumvents any copy related issues completely

of course, then youd have all that unused space, but still

MVP

Smash Ace
we don't really know that, PMBR hasn't stated whether or not they have fixed her physics glitch(es)

i think the only time they're going to say that is when she's released. i don't think they're gunna come out randomly and say "we've fixed X characters problems" if they aren't releasing the character into the game.

or have they done that with past characters? to my understanding they haven't but idk.

Top Bottom