• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POLL: Namco Bandai on SSB4

Do you think Namco Bandai will have a positive or a negative effect on SSB4?

• Total voters

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103

Namco Bandai is one of the biggest game developing companies. However, some people think that Namco aren't suited to help develop SSB4 and others think they are.

What do you think? Will Namco have a positive or negative effect on the outcome of the game? In what aspects will it be negative and in what aspects will it be positive? Why?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Namco is well known for it's fighting games; maybe that's the reason Nintendo decided to collaborate with them. No reason to think that it will impact the series negatively.

Strevo

Smash Rookie
Ofcourse it'll have a positive effect, they know how to make fighting games and will assist Sakurai greatly with their knowledge.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I wonder how they will do, this is a kind of fighting game Namco hardly knows about developing. They done Tekken, Soul Calibur, but Smash Bros is different.
Namco has made games with gameplay similar to Smash Bros. actually.

There's this obscure game titled The Outfoxies and the battle mechanics of the Tales series are similar to Smash.

D

Deleted member

I wonder how they will do, this is a kind of fighting game Namco hardly knows about developing. They done Tekken, Soul Calibur, but Smash Bros is different.

May not nearly be as good as Smash, but they are still within Namco-Bandai's experience.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Well the only controls to attack are grabs, standard attacks, Smash attacks, and special moves. I guess it won't be too hard to balance.
Meh, imho brawlers are actually harder to balance than normal fighters. It's not my problem anyway, Brawl imho was still good, only a few characters were too under or overpowered (Ganondorf being the suckest ever and Snake being a ****ing beast). Tweak them a little bit and REBUILD COMPLETELY the final smash system, and I think it could work very good.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Meh, imho brawlers are actually harder to balance than normal fighters. It's not my problem anyway, Brawl imho was still good, only a few characters were too under or overpowered (Ganondorf being the suckest ever and Snake being a ****ing beast). Tweak them a little bit and REBUILD COMPLETELY the final smash system, and I think it could work very good.
Final Smashes were optional, but I think the Final Smashes should be balanced and enough to dodge while still being fun to avoid.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I think their influence on the quality will end up positive. I feel like when they test the game they'll be able to figure out balance better than anyone. When they have their free for alls and Bowser is getting knocked around like no tomorrow they will figure something out. When Meta Knights tornado goes through every attack known to man, they will put a quick stop to that.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Do I have faith that a company that makes good fighting games that are generally balanced, will know how to keep doing that? Why yes, I'd think I do.

I am interested to see how their touch influences Smash, though!

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
Namco has made some great fighters in the Tales series and some others. Bandai could help quite a bit as well.
I can't see how the game could have a negative effect from Namco Bandai.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I am VERY confident that Namco-Bandai will be able to deliver a decent fighting game, better or just as good as previous titles.

D

Deleted member

I think Namco Bandai will help with doing some great things with Smash 4. Looking forward to what will possibly be the best Smash game yet.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Digimon Rumble was one of childhood favorite games, Bandai is a great company to have to help develop smash. I hope that they won't change the game a lot, just keep it to it's grounds.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm surprised that people voted no here.

To those people why do you think that?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The team behind Tekken and Soul Caliber is working on the development of the game. With the team's experience with fighting games, there is a better sense of confidence this time around. Though only time will tell if it comes into fruition.

TL?

Smash Ace
You don't need to have made smash games to understand that having characters with different grab break recoveries is bad, or jab combos that don't actually combo is dumb. A lot of what is wrong with brawl is smaller details, that when analyzed seem obviously problematic but were most likely ignored. I trust the namco devs with these sorts of things. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a very intricate fighting game. There's over 55 characters, most with over 100 moves and it's reasonably well balanced. That's insane and requires crazy attention to detail and balancing which is why I think they can only help the next smash.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You don't need to have made smash games to understand that having characters with different grab break recoveries is bad, or jab combos that don't actually combo is dumb. A lot of what is wrong with brawl is smaller details, that when analyzed seem obviously problematic but were most likely ignored. I trust the namco devs with these sorts of things. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a very intricate fighting game. There's over 55 characters, most with over 100 moves and it's reasonably well balanced. That's insane and requires crazy attention to detail and balancing which is why I think they can only help the next smash.
Actually, I've noticed that having more than 100 is the minority. I usually see 80-90 with the occasional 70-something. The ones with 100+ tend to be stance heavy characters are characters with chain grabs.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
You don't need to have made smash games to understand that having characters with different grab break recoveries is bad, or jab combos that don't actually combo is dumb. A lot of what is wrong with brawl is smaller details, that when analyzed seem obviously problematic but were most likely ignored. I trust the namco devs with these sorts of things
I agree, there have been minor problems in brawl that Namco will most likely balance out.
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a very intricate fighting game. There's over 55 characters, most with over 100 moves and it's reasonably well balanced. That's insane and requires crazy attention to detail and balancing which is why I think they can only help the next smash.
The only thing I'm afraid of is making brawl too complex or too simple, I'm just hoping that Namco won't develop brawl anywhere near Tekken's playstyle.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The only thing I'm afraid of is making brawl too complex or too simple, I'm just hoping that Namco won't develop brawl anywhere near Tekken's playstyle.
I doubt that Namco would make the game that complex. Sakurai is still overseeing the project, remember?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Tekken's not that complex IMO. That being said, I don't think we'll be seeing things like crouch dashes, sidestepping (a big thing), 10 hit combos (useless anyway), crushes, and chain grabs. Otherwise, there's a LOT that Smash can learn from Tekken and Soul Calibur. The sense of combat being fluid and that pokes can be damaging are two big things Smash could use - along with anti-airs and proper grab breaks (we're long overdue).

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Sakurai: "So what do you guys think about the tripping mechanic? :troll:"

Namco-Bandai: "..."

...Yeah I think I'm happy NB is around this time.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I doubt that Namco would make the game that complex. Sakurai is still overseeing the project, remember?
Yeah, and of course I trust Sakurai, but you never know the exact impact of Namco until we see the first shots of SSB4 on E3. There's a rumor out there that Sakurai's activity regarding SSB4 has only slightly decreased due to his injury; for an unknown reason, this information is bugging me on the overall outcome of the game.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah, and of course I trust Sakurai, but you never know the exact impact of Namco until we see the first shots of SSB4 on E3. There's a rumor out there that Sakurai's activity regarding SSB4 has only slightly decreased due to his injury; for an unknown reason, this information is bugging me on the overall outcome of the game.
Injured or not, he's still in charge, so he always has the final word on the development team's decisions.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Tekken's not that complex IMO. That being said, I don't think we'll be seeing things like crouch dashes, sidestepping (a big thing), 10 hit combos (useless anyway), crushes, and chain grabs. Otherwise, there's a LOT that Smash can learn from Tekken and Soul Calibur. The sense of combat being fluid and that pokes can be damaging are two big things Smash could use - along with anti-airs and proper grab breaks (we're long overdue).
It's not about complexity, it's about the different playstyle. It's true that we won't see sidesteps and crouch dashes, but I'm afraid there might be some similarities that might ruin the game. I know that will most likely won't happen, but we can never confirm anything before E3. The thing I like about smash is that different combos are possible in specific ratios, which arises creativity and critical thinking in choosing your attacks/combos.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Injured or not, he's still in charge, so he always has the final word on the development team's decisions.
True, hopefully it won't change. However, I've heard that Sakurai is removing some techniques such as Shorthopping and tilts, is this correct?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
True, hopefully it won't change. However, I've heard that Sakurai is removing some techniques such as Shorthopping and tilts, is this correct?
I highly doubt that's true. It's probably another rumor.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
While I don't think they have very much control over the game, hence all the interviews of them having to repeat that Sakurai's in charge, I do fail to see how their involvement would not have a positive impact on the game, whether it's on gameplay/single player/music/artwork/online, or just plain development in and of itself.

Only real negative I can see at this point is them adding one of their characters to the roster.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
While I don't think they have very much control over the game, hence all the interviews of them having to repeat that Sakurai's in charge, I do fail to see how their involvement would not have a positive impact on the game, whether it's on gameplay/single player/music/artwork/online, or just plain development in and of itself.

Only real negative I can see at this point is them adding one of their characters to the roster.
Namco has have overall great experiances in developing fighting games which can help develop SSB4. Another positive trait is a bigger development team, without Namco the game would take much more time to develop.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's not about complexity, it's about the different playstyle. It's true that we won't see sidesteps and crouch dashes, but I'm afraid there might be some similarities that might ruin the game. I know that will most likely won't happen, but we can never confirm anything before E3. The thing I like about smash is that different combos are possible in specific ratios, which arises creativity and critical thinking in choosing your attacks/combos.
There's still plenty of creativity when it comes to combos. Things like stage positioning, choosing to go for damage or setups, etc.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
There's still plenty of creativity when it comes to combos. Things like stage positioning, choosing to go for damage or setups, etc.
I concur, all these things must be taken into consideration when playing a competitve match :)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I concur, all these things must be taken into consideration when playing a competitve match :)
And with Smash, those kinds of things can be reimplemented in different ways. One way I commonly go about is that only certain moves are DI-able (somewhat like how you can counter portions of strings with sidestepping) and you use these as resets. Another is to make blocking in Smash where the shield is smaller but static in size (and no cooldown on shielding) however I've noticed that's not been very popular around these parts.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Since it's the soft house that made both Tekken and Klonoa I have a strong faith in them.

Top Bottom