• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll - Most important matchup to learn

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Hello -Insert Character Board Here-,

I'm conducting a character-wide poll about each character's most important matchup. This is simply out of curiosity of the current metagame and every person's stance on their character.

Each person get's 1 vote, regardless of character board, your first vote will be the only one counted. So please only vote for your main character. Make's my life easier if I'm not having to triple-check everyone.

Please keep in mind this isn't your most difficult matchup. I want to hear your most important matchup. There is a slight, but significant difference in this. If your worst matchup is Jigglypuff - do you consider Jigglypuff an important matchup to actually learn? Doubtful. So please vote for the most IMPORTANT matchup.

Of course, your most important matchup may be your hardest one. But just keep the above in mind.

You can vote now if you wish, and if you cannot find this topic in your main's board. Please wait as I must wait 30 seconds between each thread to post a topic. I am going in alphabetical order and I will reach your main eventually.

Thank you.

SuSa.

EDIT:

Flayl - N/A - Voted multiples
Limit129 - Meta Knight
Uncle - Meta Knight
JayDeth - Ganondorf
Zigsta - Meta Knight
SummersXen - Snake
Trouble King - Diddy Kong

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Wait, so you're only taking the first post that comes in with a name, or can we each just debate in this thread for a bit and then come up with an answer that represents everyone?

SuSa

To be honest, either or.

But getting each person's personal opinion and tally them up would be easier. Feel free to fight over eachother's votes and sway minds.

I'm trying to keep 37 threads up to date and answer questions and stuff... so yeaahh....

Flayl

Smash Hero
These are all equally important for me:
Captain Falcon, Game & Watch, Marth, Meta Knight, Sheik, Yoshi, Zero Suit Samus

Flayl

Smash Hero
Why would you pick Yoshi?

Whatever, I don't even know what the hell this project is supposed to accomplish.

Put up Yoshi lol

SuSa

The point was for you to give it a serious 1 vote. I don't want my results all screwy and I doubt others will vote Yoshi.

In the case they do for the lulz, I'll just N/A your vote.

Actually, N/A is better.

Vote N/A'd til you pick one.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Well, isn't it kinda region dependent anyway?

I mean, Flayl lives around those characters.

Region wise for me, it's EXTREMELY important that I learn (well, that the said MU is learned..., I myself know it already) the MK MU; I mean, knowing the D3 MU is basically a given when you decide you want to use Bowser, so no one should really put that down.

I'm putting Metaknight (due to regional [NY/NJ]) bias.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
This is a hard question to answer, but I'd have to say Meta Knight.

Being the best character in the game means you'll see him most often in competitive play, and he doesn't beat Bowser to the point where the matchup is logically unwinnable. Since it's winnable and you're virtually guaranteed to see him in tourneys, you'll want to know this matchup well.

A ton of matchups are important to learn, but if I had to vote for one, the MK matchup would be it.

B!squick

Smash Master
I shall prove my power of clairvoyance by predicting what most of the character boards will answer which is also mine: Meta Knight.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I feel as though there's some sort of ridiculously important MU/more difficult than MK that you should learn (that's not a hard counter), Metaknight will probably be the answer for the majority of these characters...

Can I ask what you're trying to do with this SuSa?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I guess...he usually has really interesting things in mind though.

Unless he's trying to prove that MK isn't a top-priority matchup for every character to learn (which I actually believe is somewhat true), it'll be hard. If by the end of 3 weeks he makes a graph of each board, a majority of the boards' graph will have a large portion of choices dedicated to Metaknight..

I'd like to hear what he's doing still.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
This is easy. Meta Knight.

For Bowser, learn to deal with Tornado, because a lot of scrub MKs think MT's the way to beat Bowser. Learn what beats it and when it beats it. Learn when you can punish MT's landing and when you can't.

This MU's great for developing your Bowser because a smart Bowser plays really patient in this MU.

Also with Flayl's recent discovery of Klaw actually being guaranteed--albeit frame perfect--out of air release, Bowser mains have a whole other reason to practice this MU. Who doesn't want to grab MK to a guaranteed death?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Also with Flayl's recent discovery of Klaw actually being guaranteed--albeit frame perfect--out of air release, Bowser mains have a whole other reason to practice this MU. Who doesn't want to grab MK to a guaranteed death?

It's not frame perfect, it's just hard and the timing is different.

Trouble King

Smash Apprentice
Lol. personally, i don't have as much trouble with MK, because I've fought over 9000 of them, whose skills ranged from "Oops. Lol. Killed myself with Nado" to "RAAAAAGGEE(On my part)". But I'm comfy with the MU now. Even with the **** MKs.

It's DIDDY that really grinds on my nerves. Flea-bitten ape. Nanas are more trouble than their worth. Screw the Nado. =/ I have next to NO experience with this MU. Not enough to feel comfy with anyway.

SummersXen

Smash Rookie
Lol. personally, i don't have as much trouble with MK, because I've fought over 9000 of them, whose skills ranged from "Oops. Lol. Killed myself with Nado" to "RAAAAAGGEE(On my part)". But I'm comfy with the MU now. Even with the **** MKs.

It's DIDDY that really grinds on my nerves. Flea-bitten ape. Nanas are more trouble than their worth. Screw the Nado. =/ I have next to NO experience with this MU. Not enough to feel comfy with anyway.
I understand how you feel, for me MK is just something I know what to expect and I'm use to it. I'm perfectly fine going against them due to the large number of MK players that I face almost all the time I play.

I think that MK is just typical matchup anyone should know since all players face him countless of times but hey that's just me I could be wrong.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Well, since you face all of those Metaknights, doesn't that prove that it IS a matchup you should know? Forget the "oh there's so many mk's, it's an obv mu i should know" and remember the fact that MK dominates (is that too strong of a word?) the metagame, and again, remember that it's probably the most important MU to learn for a lot of characters, Bowser included.

Dedede is one of those MUs I think any Bowser character should know; taking the risk to go somewhere with Bowser, you'll realize Dedede is a difficult MU. Not a hard counter like Ice Climbers or a pain in the *** like Diddy, but many people I've faced have CP'd Dedede on me just thinking it would be an easy win for them.

Granted, people have different views, so I'm not going to force you to change, I'm just stating mine. Uh..what else...oh, really bad MUs, like Ice Climbers: I'm sure no one will say that's the most important MU for Bowser to learn, because the better decision would be to switch to a different character. I personally wouldn't even bother playing an IC with Bowser unless I was confident in the win (200%), feeling ballsy, or not caring about advancing in the bracket...

But yeah, I still stand on Metaknight. There's nothing else really important to learn, maybe Dedede would come sorta second (in the amount of choices)?

Then again, how many Bowser mains/people that are willing to send their ONE vote in for Bowser are there on this board? ...I really forget sometimes.

The majority, minus Hobob, BK, KK, MrEh (I think he voted somewhere else), and Ixis (who seems to be forum dead) voted already. I'm sure Vex put his imput in somewhere else, or just isn't going to bother voting. And KJ probably is voting for Samus, and the same with Scatz and Yoshi.

SuSa, wouldn't it be a bit better if you allowed two votes? There are a lot of people who can give really deep inputs/would like to vote on more than one character's account...

SummersXen

Smash Rookie
Well of course MK is a matchup that people should know and it is obviously important but its not the most important in my eyes from my experience when I see MK I'm know what to mostly expect. Because the high amount of MK players I played made me accustomed to him. My answer was only based off from what I gone through in Brawl as of course for others it will be a different story.

You make good points and I understand what you mean.

And KJ probably is voting for Samus
Sorry man D:. That being said however, I would have given the exact same answer I gave for Samus for my Boozer as well. Metaknight.

Having two votes would actually be really nice. A lot of us low tier mains do pack secondaries and such so our opinions on the most important match up to learn for those could prove to be quite interesting.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Where I live I'd actually go for Marth, everyone has a pocket Marth 'cause of Ramin lol.
In most regions I'd go for Mk though, defenitly.

Where I live we have like no MKs, yet I still say he's my most important match up to learn because our top players have pocket MKs :/.

bigman40

Smash Master
and the same with Scatz and Yoshi.
Actually, I've never played the Yoshi/Bowser MU. So, I can't comment on whether that's the worse or not. From my experience from playing Bowser, I have to say MK cause of his ability to pressure Bowser far to easily.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I was saying that you probably voted for Yoshi's most important matchup as opposed to Bowser because you main Yoshi.

I severely doubt Yoshi is the most important matchup a Bowser would need to know.

bigman40

Smash Master
I see what you mean, but even then, I couldn't vote for Yoshi cause he's not a common character (though he's more common than other low tiers).

Trouble King

Smash Apprentice
Well, since you face all of those Metaknights, doesn't that prove that it IS a matchup you should know?..."

SuSa, wouldn't it be a bit better if you allowed two votes? There are a lot of people who can give really deep inputs/would like to vote on more than one character's account...
I see your point. I'm not saying that it's not an important matchup to know...in fact, it's incredibly important. I think I was being a little self-centered in my vote because I already know the MK matchup pretty well. It's just that I don't run into Diddy Kong's very often so, as an individual, the MU is uncomfortable for me.

Yeah, two votes would be better, because there can be more than one bad MU, especially for the lower tiers. IMO, secondaries forgotten, when you pick your main, you should be comfortable fighting any MU at any stage with him/her. This is a million times easier said than done with Bowser, I know. But he is our main.

Personally, if I run into ICs, I'm going to face them with Bowser. Whether or not that's brave or stupid is debatable...ok, so it's probably mostly stupid. But I'm not going to give up on Bowser if I go to a tourny with him.

I don't pick secondaries that cover Bowser's weaknesses...I pick secondaries that I like as characters too. I can do that and still play to win, I think.

Lol, and I got so off topic. [/rant]

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Personally, if I run into ICs, I'm going to face them with Bowser. Whether or not that's brave or stupid is debatable...ok, so it's probably mostly stupid. But I'm not going to give up on Bowser if I go to a tourny with him.

I don't pick secondaries that cover Bowser's weaknesses...I pick secondaries that I like as characters too. I can do that and still play to win, I think.
To be honest dude, it seems nice that you're so committed to Bowser but you have to understand that there are just some things you won't be able to do with him. ICs are not THAT common that I would rip my hair out as a Bowser main but, if it was the case, you're saying you would STILL use Bowser and just lose everytime?

I don't know about you but I wouldn't be able to stand losing constantly. YES, I do use Bowser more often than any other character, and by a very large margin, but if I come across something that I don't think I'll be able to pass by, you'd have to switch if you want to win, and if you want to advance. It's just how it goes man. Yeah, it's wrong, but I can agree with what you're saying about "i pick secondaries tat i like as characters", because I like every top tier. lmao

In your case, you can do that and still play to win, but unless they offer something positive to your Bowser's issues, you won't really be benefitting him at all.

Just think about that~

Trouble King

Smash Apprentice
No. I'm saying I'll still use Bowser, lose a hell of a lot, and be patient until I can learn the MU and do my best to exploit their weaknesses while at the same time, taking advantage of my strengths. Nothing's impossible. Granted, a lot of things are difficult enough with him to make me want to pull MY hair out, but I'm not going to give up just because everyone says "There are things you can't do with Bowser."

Every character has a weakness. It's all a matter of...ha, I know this will sound cheesy, but will power too I guess. That's what Bowser's best at anyway, getting knocked down for a second and then getting right back up to squish whoever had the nerve to knock him down in the first place.

Again, I didn't pick characters because they back Bowser's issues (Picking DDD as my "main" secondary was by accident back when the game started). Other than DDD, all of my other characters are low tier. Jigglypuff, and Link. I just really love their play style. Link's bomb's are fun as hell when you learn how to do tricks and screw around with them. Jiggs for me was just a fun character because she's such a huge contrast to Bowser. And DDD was simply my second favorite Nintendo villain, and an attribute of my namesake. "Trouble King"

Maybe I'm doing it wrong...but I'm having fun doing it, and I'm not doing so bad, considering what I have to work with.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
That'd work if you main Ganondorf because picking a second for his best MU's is like.. Lmao.
You sound like Vermanubis, you know that. And thats exactly the reason I can't say no to what you say. Just that its a waste basicly giving up against any IC player you face in bracket.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Well I wouldn't be giving up. I'd just be increasing my chances of advancing in the bracket by not using Bowser against that kind of opponent.

Then again, it's just different eyes looking at the same prize. I suppose looking in the results bracket and seeing only a Bowser icon next to your name would appeal to you a great deal more than seeing the Bowser icon and a Snake/MK/whathaveyou next to it but with a higher placing.

I'm not discrediting Bowser at all, and I'll admit I'm not exactly the bravest person ever, but I'm certainly not the dumbest. I just want to win (but not to the point where I'd drop Bowser, because to be completely honest, I'll drop him when he bores me...which probably won't happen for another few years; I can deal with losing.)

And then again if I touch base on that, then the whole topic of player vs. character comes into this. Debating is tough, lmao.

SummersXen

Smash Rookie
No. I'm saying I'll still use Bowser, lose a hell of a lot, and be patient until I can learn the MU and do my best to exploit their weaknesses while at the same time, taking advantage of my strengths. Nothing's impossible. Granted, a lot of things are difficult enough with him to make me want to pull MY hair out, but I'm not going to give up just because everyone says "There are things you can't do with Bowser."

I like your spirit there, I too think and act the same way to what you mostly said in your comments and obviously agree.

For me...

I'm always willing to go Bowser all the way through any battles against any characters especially if it's a IC player, Bowser is my main I refuse to change characters just to win against my opponent. I will find a way to win even if it will cost me alot of losses haha, some people would say what I do is a impossible task but for me it's achievable.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
If it's achievable to beat ICs with Bowser, then the ICs player either sucks and/or doesn't know the MU. Plain and simple.

Trouble King

Smash Apprentice
Debating is tough, lmao.
I'm not debating with you...entirely. I agree with a lot of your points. Especially that it's hard to place in a Tournament with Bowser unless it's tier specific. But it's not impossible.

Lol. Same with facing good ICs that DO know the matchup. It's hard as hell. But it's not impossible. It just forces you to think and act quicker. No matter with character you use, the only way to survive ICs is not get grabbed. This is assuming both players are of equal skill.

But, no matter how much of a tough game I talk, it's going to be hard to convince anyone until I can get some decent, show-stopping vids up. As soon as I get a job and get some cash in the wallet, I'll work on getting a few up. Until then, I won't blame you guys for taking my confidence with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom