• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POLL: How many characters do you expect in SSB4's roster?

How many characters do you expect in the SSB4 roster?

• 35 or less

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • 36-38

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 39-41

Votes: 27 9.3%
  • 42-44

Votes: 45 15.5%
  • 45-47

Votes: 62 21.4%
  • 48-50

Votes: 77 26.6%
  • 51-53

Votes: 33 11.4%
  • 54-56

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 57-59

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 60-62

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 63-65

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 66-68

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 69 or more

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I have no idea what you are trying to prove other than Sakurai can be unpredictable, but he isn't always unpredictable. He adds the most wanted characters (see: Bowser, Peach, Mewtwo, and Zelda in Melee; Sonic, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, and Wario in Brawl), and a few less than expected retro and newer characters to add in a little spice.

If anything, his roster additions are a pretty straight-forward approach, but his gameplay directions and some of his stage selections are straight up crazy.
Hehehe ow it is you..yh you ow me a Applogie xD.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hehehe ow it is you..yh you ow me a Applogie xD.
No, I have to tell you though that 2 of the 3 several people saw coming (especially since the Villager is kind of sort of like what we thought the Mii would be).

Still, Sakurai always did have a lot of unknowns, which he tends to always have. It is a part of his formula.

grizby2

Smash Lord
The trailer had less than half the newcomers of previous trailers.
That's very suggestive that us conservatives might be closer to the money about the final count.
sorry for double posting
edit: or not lol

did brawl have separate trailers for each new comer (I don't hink they did if I remember)? the reason we didn't see a lot of new comers in the trailer this time around might be because each might get its own littler video. *shrugs* idk
for me it kinda feels like they're secretly making the trailer in "parts", if you will, making sure that the hype never dies XD.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
sorry for double posting
edit: or not lol

did brawl have separate trailers for each new comer (I don't hink they did if I remember)? the reason we didn't see a lot of new comers in the trailer this time around might be because each might get its own littler video. *shrugs* idk
for me it kinda feels like they're secretly making the trailer in "parts", if you will, making sure that the hype never dies XD.
I agree completely.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The trailer had less than half the newcomers of previous trailers.
That's very suggestive that us conservatives might be closer to the money about the final count.
E3 isn't over yet.

In any case, if they only show three characters now I'd still expect at least 10-12 newcomers total. That's been the standard for the previous two games.

I think Sakurai said something like the roster will be a bit smaller than Brawl's. It's probably because he doesn't like a roster of 40+ characters. Balance is his main focus. I have a feeling that the final number of characters will be around in the 20s/near Melee's number.
Mass cuts are not gonna happen. Sakurai said that before he brought the Tekken team on board. He's got an absolutely massive team now.

He also never said that; he said that he thought Brawl's roster was a good size, and that he might not try to improve on it too much.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm thinking that we might get somewhere in the forty-something characters this time around. Like forty-five at the most. Some would say that I'm too optimistic with that number, but I just have a good feeling about this roster. Though fifty would be too much to ask for.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Tragic is that Sakurai said both games will have the same characters, but he also said that characters are limited due to 3DS limitations.

This killed my hype

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Kotaku confirmed that they will have the same characters.
Ah okay.
I'm actually happy about that.

We know what the restriction is with the 3DS though. Sakurai said in another interview that the 3DS had issues with double characters like the Ice Climbers.
That is probably the only limitation.
So would you really care that much if we don't get any new double teamers?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
We know what the restriction is with the 3DS though. Sakurai said in another interview that the 3DS had issues with double characters like the Ice Climbers.
That is probably the only limitation.
So would you really care that much if we don't get any new double teamers?
I won't really have a problem with that. I never played as ICs.

If anything, this hurts Kat & Ana's chances, and also throws the Chrom/Lucina tag team idea out of the window.

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
39-41 is what I voted. I think we will see a slight increase - nothing drastic. 50 would be amazing but I think that is pushing it. I'd be pleasantly surprised if there were 44-45

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I still think the roster will be in the low 40's. I know that the roster was said to be limited by the 3ds version and everything. But that's just it, we don't know exactly how limited the roster will be this time. For all we know the roster will only be gimped by like, three characters. Still kinda sucks but we could live with that. The 3DS is still a pretty powerful system, It's likely that the roster is just as big, if not bigger than Brawl's regardless of said limitations.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I still think the roster will be in the low 40's. I know that the roster was said to be limited by the 3ds version and everything. But that's just it, we don't know exactly how limited the roster will be this time. For all we know the roster will only be gimped by like, three characters. Still kinda sucks but we could live with that. The 3DS is still a pretty powerful system, It's likely that the roster is just as big, if not bigger than Brawl's regardless of said limitations.
I don't think the limitation is due to space requirements. In Brawl, each character took up only about 15 MB of space including the animations and alts. I think it's more a matter of difficulty of programming the characters like Ice Climbers or Olimar. We can expect a few of the gimmicks to be changed, but I doubt the roster will be reduced. At least that's what I came to conclude from Sakurai's comment of "reducing" characters and the discussions in the general thread.

Also, note that the SSE cutscenes occupied a lion's share of the disc, and Sakurai has already stated that Smash 4 won't have a Brawl-like adventure mode.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'll say 45-47 just to be optimistic another 10 characters would be cool. We'll always want more but 10 seems realistic. That being said if it's 10 new characters then we're down to 7 left to revealed lol.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I said 45-47, including transformations.

I remember Sakurai saying something like he was aiming more for balance over sheer roster size this time around.

I'm thinking he'll cut a few characters from Brawl and then expand the roster size by 10ish characters, but have around 12-14 new ones.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I'd rather have fewer characters and more balance but personally I'd like to see around the same as Brawl -about 33 counting alts and transformations- minus clones.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I'd rather have fewer characters and more balance but personally I'd like to see around the same as Brawl -about 33 counting alts and transformations- minus clones.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Little surprised I missed this thread the first go around. 48-50 feels right based on typical roster growth and Sakurai's apparent desire to include as many characters as possible. Could go as low as 40 slots but that feels overly conservative considering that's only five more slots than Brawl. Definitely do not see it going over 50 as that's already an ambitious number (15 new slots!) and would only be approached for the sake of advertising a clean 50 characters.

For anyone who thinks 50 is too high, keep in mind that Namco Bandai is assisting. Considering their most recent major fighting game release has a whopping 59 characters including free DLC (<3 TTT2), 48-50 should be well within their reach if desired.

Hong

The Strongest
I would be absolutely astonished if we have over 40 with the direction they are taking the characters this time.

Groose

Smash Champion
Sakurai said:
Every time, you know, I try to the point where I think I can't go on any longer. For example, I think pretty much the limit when it comes to creating characters for a Smash Bros. is about 20, counting those from older games. We remake them completely each time, after all, and the teams and personnel and specs are all different. But we all go beyond what the work calls for because we want to do our best to retain fans of each character.
Twenty playable characters. Maybe a few extras thrown in if the development team works diligently. :happysheep:

D

Deleted member

I am thinking between 42-44. That seems like a right amount to me. I think Brawl has most of Nintendo's all-stars anyway, so there isn't too much to add.

D

Deleted member

I just want to throw this out there, but by the time we get to a roster of over 50 or 60 characters, we will probably be begging Sakurai to not put in All-Star Mode.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Even during Melee, I probably played All-Star like the least out of the single player modes, so it would be no big loss for me to see it go because of the roster size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom