• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(POLL) Do you guys like speculation, or would you rather just know who the characters are?

Do you like speculation?

• Total voters

link2702

Smash Champion
I’d rather they just told us outright. Or don’t announce any dlc is in the works and fully surprise use like smash 4.

We only learned of the dlc in 4 when the characters in question were announced. In ultimate we were told we’d get 5 characters in a fighter pass, but no idea WHO those 5 were.

The speculation cycle has often been torture, especially as we got closer and closer to the final fp character, and would have really gotten bad had they not announced more fighters after the pass would arrive.

Reveal trailers when no one knows who’s in might create tons of hype like banjo’s, but the time between reveals is often torturous.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If I didn't like speculation, I wouldn't even be on a speculation site. I'm not sure I'm understanding the question, really.

Dan

Smash Lord
If I didn't like speculation, I wouldn't even be on a speculation site. I'm not sure I'm understanding the question, really.
Really the question is would you rather just know the rest of the characters right now or do you enjoy this leaks rollercoaster and everyone trying to piece together who it'll be.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Really the question is would you rather just know the rest of the characters right now or do you enjoy this leaks rollercoaster and everyone trying to piece together who it'll be.
Oh, that's an interesting question. I do enjoy the discussion about which characters people think may or may not get in. The leaks, and the culture of only discussing their contents no matter how fake, not so much. And really, the reveals are such hype that I'd rather go into them unspoiled - though their impact on me isn't really diminished by being leaked. But, since this is the age of the internet and it's nigh impossible to go online without stumbling into them, I prefer to at least partake in the discussion and be well informed.

However, if you're asking whether I'd prefer all characters be revealed at once, then yeah, no question. Rip off the band-aid early, I say. That means people can judge the Pass as a whole (since it's what they're paying for) and it lessens each individual's potential to criticism if the Pass is well balanced.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
If they are selling the characters individually then I'd prefer surprises as speculating and theory crafting is fun. When it comes to selling fighter passes though, I think they should list all the contained characters upfront so people can make better judgments on whether purchasing the pass would be worth it for them or not rather than hoping people will blindly buy it.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Speculation is fascinating. If the character is revealed early in, it especially ruins the hype if you aren't interested in said character, have no emotional ties to the character.

Fighters Pass speculation since Joker has been terrible.

Dan

Smash Lord
When it comes to selling fighter passes though, I think they should list all the contained characters upfront so people can make better judgments on whether purchasing the pass would be worth it for them or not rather than hoping people will blindly buy it.
Yeah, it does almost seem like some weird junior form of gambling or something like that, but at least it isn't as bad as loot boxes.

If the character is revealed early in, it especially ruins the hype if you aren't interested in said character, have no emotional ties to the character.
Don't you mean if you are interested in said character? It saves me from disappoint and salt if a character I don't care about (or even know for that matter) gets announced when I'm going in hoping for Geno or someone like that.

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
I personally love it. Leaks and speculation add to the excitement for me, personally. I like seeing what people come up with for the characters they support, and a bit of healthy pessimism can make a reveal even better (as I'm sure any Ridley, K. Rool, or especially Banjo-Kazooie fan can tell you).

Dan

Smash Lord
I like seeing what people come up with for the characters they support, and a bit of healthy pessimism can make a reveal even better (as I'm sure any Ridley, K. Rool, or especially Banjo-Kazooie fan can tell you).
I was actually so drained from being drug through the mud by Sakurai over Ridley that I was almost salty when he got revealed.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Somewhere between both, to be honest.

Reveal the identity of the characters, but keep their fighting styles and associated content a secret until it's time for release. Speculation over everything beyond Fighters is actually pretty cool and level headed, but it becomes a ****show of the highest order when we talk about Fighters. ESPECIALLY in scenarios like the Fighter's Pass, where there are a quantifiable number of slots.

But if it weren't for leaks, maybe I'd be more accepting of the secrecy style. Though, it would only make it slightly better.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Don't you mean if you are interested in said character? It saves me from disappoint and salt if a character I don't care about (or even know for that matter) gets announced when I'm going in hoping for Geno or someone like that.
Nope, the opposite. If a character you have no interests in gets in, your most wanted probably isn't getting in. Speculation was actually fun up to Ultimate's release. That's the routine, really.

D

Deleted member

Evry other fighting game I saw just saw all the new characters straight at the face. Just like hentai.

I used to support the surprise, but during my time here of desperation that Fighter#5 is female, I gave in. Now I just want answers.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Blind speculation is fun.

While it doesn't drive people to explore new frontiers as much as actually getting a character from a new franchise does, it does help a bit. And those conversations are the most interesting part of the whole thing for me.

The directed speculation stemming from false leakers (and the coy, non-reveals from supposedly true leakers)... Well, that's much less fun.
Granted, when it changes every week, it does stir the conversation some, but it also leads to stagnation as the same group of names tends to cycle about.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I am impatient as sin, so if there is a planned fighter, I want to know who they are as soon as possible, especially since I have serious doubts it will be anyone I want. The trailers can be fun, but I'd rather get straight to the point.
To quote Jojo:
1572594312509.png

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I would rather be told at the start but I know that isn't going to happen.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I prefer to know the character because I sometimes feel like the fake leakers ruin speculation.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I much prefer the surprise, though with the fighter's pass being a thing, it is kinda understandable why people would want to know the characters as soon as possible since they're paying for fighters they don't even know yet.

With that being said, I really feel like speculation discussion has really gone down the drain even before Ultimate's release. For a lot of characters it looks like people have run out of topics to talk about. A bunch of threads have devolved into desperately trying to confirm and/or deconfirm leaks, as well as scrounging the internet for leaks that support their cause, sometimes even getting outright mad at leakers for potentially keeping info to themselves.
It's nothing new, but I'm also seing increasing amounts of genuine bitterness/anger and unwarranted resentment towards characters who already got in or characters who might be a "threat" to other fighters. I mean, good God man, it's just funny characters for a game that's already been out for a year now, there are a bunch of other video games to look forward to.

It's a real shame that speculation discussion has sunk to such a low level, 'cause it's always been the best part of Smash releases for me. A bit worried about the speculation for the inevitable next game in the series.

D

Deleted member

It's fun to speculate that's what I like and then when the character finally gets in whoever it is it's a great relief to finally see who it is.

So for me speculating.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Speculation because it is fun. I really do not like leakers and wish they would reconsider what they do.

Top Bottom