• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Tournament: Wii U Version Set For Release

Popi

Former EIC
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
PowpiPenguin
Earlier today, at the Pokémon World Championships in Boston, MA, The Pokémon Company announced the springtime release of the long-awaited Pokkén Tournament on the Wii U. While the game is already out in Japanese arcades, Katsuhiro Harada's (Tekken creator) latest fighting game had yet to be confirmed for console release until now.

For those unaware, Pokkén Tournament is a spin-off game of the Pokémon franchise which brings it into the fighting game genre. Developed by Namco Bandai (the developers of Super Smash Bros. For Wii U, among others), Pokkén Tournament features a similar type of 3D Arena gameplay seemingly inspired by other fighting games by the company such as Tekken and Naruto Ninja Storm.

Alongside this comes with the reveal of a brand new fighter, Pikachu Libre, a Lucha Libre-style Pikachu. Based on the shape of it's tail, Pikachu Libre is the female forme of the Electric Mouse Pokémon. Compared to the normal Pikachu, she plays with a flashier style with moves akin to her namesake form of wrestling.

Credits to Smashboard's very own @AlphaZealot, a planner of the event, for the image.

Later today, The 2015 Pokkén Tournament Invitational is set to happen. All the entrants have been pooled from various FGC (Fighting Game Community) scenes like Hugo "HugS" Gonzales and Evil Geniuses' Justin "JWong" Wong . It is set to happen at 1:30 EST on the official Pokémon stream featuring commentary from D'Ron "D1" Maingrette and Mark "MarkMan" Julio.

What are your thoughts on Pokkén? Are you interested in competing in it in the future? Hyped for the invitational? Comment your thoughts down below!

Popipenguin is cautiously yet anxiously HYPED for the release of the game and wants to run it at his tournaments. He can't wait to see more footage of the game, especially in a competitive setting! To ride the hype train alongside him as well as to share your thoughts, suggestions and inquiries about the article and future ones, chat with him on Twitter at @AdmiralPopi.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Nice! I hope Gallade also joins the Pokefighters in an update/DLC/whatever.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery

This is great news! The only downside that I see in this is that Pikachu Libre could have been Hawlucha...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Nintendo would have had a much better E3 if they showed this off.

Last edited:

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
Costumed pokémon can be characters? Awesome. Now I want to see a Machamp in a Mankind outfit (complete with four Mr. Sockos). There's no coming back from that mandible claw. Get on it!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Pokémon can have costumes? Awesome. Now I want to see a Machamp in a Mankind outfit (complete with four Mr. Sockos). Get on it!

Pikachu Libre is a separate character altogether. Think Link and Toon Link.

Regular Pikachu seems to take more inspiration from Heihachi and Kazuya from Tekken, while Pikachu Libre takes inspiration from King, Armour King, and Jaycee.

Pikachu Libre is also female.

Soul.

There was/is going to be an invitational? Huh. Color me surprised.
Still though, glad it's coming to Wii U at last. That was long overdue.

Now, if it ever becomes competitive (it's a fighting game so of course), that'll be interesting.

Also why does no one ever mention that Bandai Namco also developed the 3DS version of Smash smh

Last edited:

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
Soon Lucario will be top tier because of aura mechanic...
Very soon indeed.

D

Deleted member

Finally a Wii U release announcement. It's about time!

I just hope they decide to keep adding new fighters for a while. There are still plenty of cool Pokemon out there that would fit within the game. The Hitmons, Scizor, Heracross, Sceptile, Gallade, Greninja, and Infernape are all relatively popular and could all easily work. And of course Hawlucha (seriously, who wanted the damn Pikachu Libre over this guy? Nobody.)

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I just hope they decide to keep adding new fighters for a while. There are still plenty of cool Pokemon out there that would fit within the game. The Hitmons, Scizor, Heracross, Sceptile, Gallade, Greninja, and Infernape could all easily work. And of course Hawlucha (seriously, who wanted the damn Pikachu Libre over this guy? Nobody.)
>Implying we are necessarily getting Pikachu Libre over Hawlucha.

Don't see why there can't be more than one wrestler Pokémon.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Another new fighting game to pick up, so far it's Melee, SSB4, SFV, and now this.... I have a lot of practicing to do lol

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I had a chance to play this at an arcade the other day. It was pretty fun for the couple of matches I went through, but I wonder about the longevity of it. It doesn't seem to have a whole lot of depth at first glance, but maybe its deceptive in that regard. Also the arcade game only had a handful of characters, so I really hope the roster at least gets doubled for the home release.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

I just hope they decide to keep adding new fighters for a while. There are still plenty of cool Pokemon out there that would fit within the game. The Hitmons, Scizor, Heracross, Sceptile, Gallade, Greninja, and Infernape are all relatively popular and could all easily work. And of course Hawlucha (seriously, who wanted the damn Pikachu Libre over this guy? Nobody.)

I totally would. I don't want any Gen 6 Pokemon near this game.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
you know, if Pokémon as a whole were to transition into the action RPG world in a distant future. something like this would be an excellent way to start.

perhaps borrow some ideas from the Tales series to refine it.

definitely got my sights on this game, though I hope the roster gets expanded big time... and if Sceptile appears, I foresee a Yoshimitsu shout out!

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
Cool, now make Mewtwo a DLC fighter for this game, because Smash Bros obviously is never going to do him justice.

Top Bottom