• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Stadium 64 Best Teams?

xxbroken-gloryxx

Smash Rookie
I want to know if anyone here still plays this game because it is ANCIENT! But I still do, and it's really challenging and takes skill. What is your favorite 6 pokemon team? Doesn't matter if it's Rental or your custom team.

KEY:
????= Doesn't matter what move.
????/????= Either move works fine.

Mine goes like this...

1. Jynx
Ice Punch
Psychic
Lovely Kiss
Body Slam

2. Starmie
Surf
Thunder
????
????

3. Arcanine
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Dig
Dragon Rage
Take Down

4. Exeggutor (Sorry if misspelled)
Leech Seed
Mega Drain
Toxic
Psychic

5. Gengar
Psychic
Hypnosis
Thunderbolt
Night Shade/Dream Eater

6. Electrode
Thunder
Thunder Wave
Take Down/Double-Edge
Screech

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I haven't touched stadium in years...but I remember some of the pokemon I liked to use (I only used rentals so I never beat a couple of the hardest challenges like the Elite Four in Gym Leader Castle R2)

Starmie
Exeggutor
Alakazam
Gengar
Zapdos
Ninetales

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Moved this because it's really more casual gameplay than competitive, better to have it in the general area in my opinion.

Anyway, I'd actually be interested if anybody could recommend a good rental team for R2 (if there is one)...my Pokémon Stadium has been left basically untouched for years, because my Red team sucks due to being leveled up to 100 mostly through Rare Candy back in the day, and I can't figure out a workable combination for any of the cups/Gyms (pretty sure I'm at Misty), and I'm too lazy to train up a new team. But I would like to beat it some day.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Moved this because it's really more casual gameplay than competitive, better to have it in the general area in my opinion.

Anyway, I'd actually be interested if anybody could recommend a good rental team for R2 (if there is one)...my Pokémon Stadium has been left basically untouched for years, because my Red team sucks due to being leveled up to 100 mostly through Rare Candy back in the day, and I can't figure out a workable combination for any of the cups/Gyms (pretty sure I'm at Misty), and I'm too lazy to train up a new team. But I would like to beat it some day.
You don't need to train a new team, provided you didn't delete valuable moves on those level 100s. You can simply run them through the E4 and use the box trick after every run to get the stats recalculated and get the EV boosts. It takes about 30 E4 runs to to get very close to maxing out the stats (you won't be able to max all of them out due to IVs). In fact, candying a pokemon up to level 100 and then running them through the E4 using the box trick is actually the most efficient way to train a pokemon.

If you're using a balanced competitive team, you probably don't need to do 30 runs for each pokemon, and if you're up to R2 then you'd have the Dodrio Tower, which makes it a lot more time-efficient.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Trying to remmeber what Team I used back in the day. I remember getting pissed about not managing to beat R2 with a team including a pikachu so it could learn surf. Seem to remember using Mewtwo though, he was/is a beast.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Run Mewtwo with the following moves:

- Amnesia
- Psychic
- Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
- Recover

This set is virtually unstoppable once it sets up. After two Amnesias, its Special will reach 999, and anything that tries to hit it with a Special move will be lucky to even tickle it. His only weak spot is its 90 base Defense, which isn't really all that weak, and whatever damage he sustains, he can shrug off with Recover anyway. Psychic is the obvious choice for a move, while the choice between Ice Beam and Thunderbolt depends on what it is you worry about more; Exeggutor or Slowbro/Starmie.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Run Mewtwo with the following moves:

- Amnesia
- Psychic
- Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
- Recover

This set is virtually unstoppable once it sets up. After two Amnesias, its Special will reach 999, and anything that tries to hit it with a Special move will be lucky to even tickle it. His only weak spot is its 90 base Defense, which isn't really all that weak, and whatever damage he sustains, he can shrug off with Recover anyway. Psychic is the obvious choice for a move, while the choice between Ice Beam and Thunderbolt depends on what it is you worry about more; Exeggutor or Slowbro/Starmie.
It's better to run substitute over ibeam or tbolt, otherwise you lose to status. The biggest problem isn't specials, it's physicals like snorlax who can break a sub with one bslam, and will para you with a bslam if you do anything but sub. In the Master Ball division of Prime Cup in R2 a snorlax was the only thing that managed to take battles off me and prevent me from getting a surfing pikachu.

Also, pokemon that explode will pretty much always explode on you first turn, so it's hilarious to watch them explode into your sub. It also looks pretty cool because mewtwo actually comes out of his sub (because it breaks) and stands there as the blast goes past him.

I'd imagine that in Poke Cup a level 55 zam with physic sub reflect recover would be pretty good, as subzam is borderline OP with stadium mechanics. Again, the main problem will be paraslams, but in these cases it's probably best to reflect on the first turn rather than sub so that you're not put in KO range if you get parad.

D

Deleted member

I'd imagine that in Poke Cup a level 55 zam with physic sub reflect recover would be pretty good, as subzam is borderline OP with stadium mechanics. Again, the main problem will be paraslams, but in these cases it's probably best to reflect on the first turn rather than sub so that you're not put in KO range if you get parad.
reflectzam operates extremely well under paralysis even in RBY, making the decision between the two pretty easy for the most part.

why hasn't this thread mentioned chansey yet?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Umbreon- Reflect is reliable against lax because of his low crit rate, but something like tauros can be a problem with his 21.4% crit rate.

Mood- I remember hearing the rental gengar is good, but if you're using pokemon from your gameboy there's definitely better options.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

that's what i'm saying, you'd be throwing up reflect over sub first whether you're facing down paraslams or not

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I could never beat Mewtwo in generation 1. Than again, I followed the mistakes of most casuals and gave pokemon multiple moves of the same type without diversifying.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It's better to run substitute over ibeam or tbolt, otherwise you lose to status. The biggest problem isn't specials, it's physicals like snorlax who can break a sub with one bslam, and will para you with a bslam if you do anything but sub. In the Master Ball division of Prime Cup in R2 a snorlax was the only thing that managed to take battles off me and prevent me from getting a surfing pikachu.

Also, pokemon that explode will pretty much always explode on you first turn, so it's hilarious to watch them explode into your sub. It also looks pretty cool because mewtwo actually comes out of his sub (because it breaks) and stands there as the blast goes past him.

If Body Slam-happy Snorlaxes really are a problem in Stadium, then I suppose one could either switch in a Cloyster running a Rest set, or use a Mewtwo running Submission; 110 Attack isn't something to scoff at, especially with Snorlax's low defense, even if its HP is really high.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Tauros is one of the most feared Physical Pokemon in RBY, and it's ATK is 10 less than Mewtwo's, so yeah, Submission Mewtwo is a nice surprise.

I have had a bias towards Ice Pokemon since the series's inception, so having a Jynx and Articuno on my rental teams was basically a requirement for me, lol. Beyond that, I used Pokemon like Gengar, Exeggutor, Starmie, Zapdos, Lapras, and I think I used Jolteon a few times.

Prime Cup, Mewtwo was beast, but in Poke Cup, Jynx with max Speed investment helped out tremendously. Ice Beam to take out those damn Zapdos the Rocker and Psychic used, and the Dragonite the Gentlemen used before I was cooked.

R2, Pika Cup's a *****. The lass in the semifinals carries a Chansey, an Exeggutor, and even a level 15 Jynx. :V

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Tauros is one of the most feared Physical Pokemon in RBY, and it's ATK is 10 less than Mewtwo's, so yeah, Submission Mewtwo is a nice surprise.

I have had a bias towards Ice Pokemon since the series's inception, so having a Jynx and Articuno on my rental teams was basically a requirement for me, lol. Beyond that, I used Pokemon like Gengar, Exeggutor, Starmie, Zapdos, Lapras, and I think I used Jolteon a few times.

Prime Cup, Mewtwo was beast, but in Poke Cup, Jynx with max Speed investment helped out tremendously. Ice Beam to take out those damn Zapdos the Rocker and Psychic used, and the Dragonite the Gentlemen used before I was cooked.

R2, Pika Cup's a *****. The lass in the semifinals carries a Chansey, an Exeggutor, and even a level 15 Jynx. :V
Just want to point out that tauros still hits harder physically than mewtwo unless submission is super effective, because tauros gets STAB on body slam and hyper beam, which are basically the two best offensive moves in RBY.

I wouldn't advise running submission because by dropping a move for it you're probably opening yourself up to getting walled or countered by something, depending on what move you drop.

Submission is better on mew, who is better at running physical sets (that's pretty much the only thing it's better at, not counting OHKO sets).

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
Plop legendaries in there and you win. Beat the game in a couple of hours with ease.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I love this idea of this thread, but I think the problem is that it's not focused on master race Pokemon Stadium 2 :D

I could talk about stadium 2 tiers and metagame for hours, played SO much high level stadium 2

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I love this idea of this thread, but I think the problem is that it's not focused on master race Pokemon Stadium 2 :D

I could talk about stadium 2 tiers and metagame for hours, played SO much high level stadium 2
Is the Stadium 2 meta really that different to the cartridge GSC meta? The differences in mechanics don't seem as influential as RBY to Stadium 1.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Is the Stadium 2 meta really that different to the cartridge GSC meta? The differences in mechanics don't seem as influential as RBY to Stadium 1.
I think he might mean rental only, since Stadium 2 has no mechanics differences to GSC except for glitch Pokemon afaik

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think he might mean rental only, since Stadium 2 has no mechanics differences to GSC except for glitch Pokemon afaik
Na I think it has a few. For example the belly drum glitch is only in GS, and I think there's a glitch in cartridge related to phazing a sleeping pokemon (can't remember what it was exactly) that was fixed in Stadium 2. Of course the biggest ones are the existence of sleep and freeze clauses.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Na I think it has a few. For example the belly drum glitch is only in GS, and I think there's a glitch in cartridge related to phazing a sleeping pokemon (can't remember what it was exactly) that was fixed in Stadium 2. Of course the biggest ones are the existence of sleep and freeze clauses.
Those clauses are enforced in competitive GSC anyways since its all in sim now. Belly Drum glitch was fixed in Crystal so who cares, dunno about phazing though, it's probably not enough to make a real metagame difference.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Ulti was right, I meant rentals only. I figured that was implied since that's what op was talking about. Some people seemed to have missed that along the way, though lol

i love me some pokemon stadium 2 free battles

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Those clauses are enforced in competitive GSC anyways since its all in sim now. Belly Drum glitch was fixed in Crystal so who cares, dunno about phazing though, it's probably not enough to make a real metagame difference.
I was merely pointing out the mechanical differences between cartridge and Stadium 2. My initial point was that the mechanical changes don't seem to make much of a difference (except for the clauses, which are stadium mechanics used in the cartridge meta).

Top Bottom