• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Appreciation Topic

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
This lesser known spinoff series is a personal favorite of mine.
In fact, Explorer's of Sky is probably my favorite Pokemon game period, even when compared to the main series games. However, due to the poor reception of Gates to Infinity (the player pokemon options make the game, idk why they had so few) the series popularity has sort of died off....

Therefore, I am making this topic to spread awareness of one of my favorite series of all time!
Discuss what you like/ dislike about the series installments, or even how they could improve on future installments.

Games with such an emotional story and fun dungeon crawling like this deserve a little love

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
I feel like Mystery Dungeon is greatly underrated. Explorer's of Sky is really a great game. I prefer it over Gates to Infinity mainly because the story was longer and the game itself was harder. Hopefully an X/Y reincarnation of the series comes around soon. :upsidedown:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Hopefully they go back to what made the series so great in the beginning and give us something that combines the best of Rescue Team and Explorers. GTI did a couple of things well but felt oversimplified in a lot of ways. I definitely want some good aftergame challenges like in Rescue Team that aren't DLC. They definitely need to go back to having text be skippable. That alone would've made GTI more enjoyable.

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
I hope the series embraces what made it great in the next installment.
Infinity gate seems like such a tangent from where sky succeeded.

The lack of a variety of player Pokemon options still baffles me, idk who thought that was a good idea.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I really hate the fact that we probably won't get another PMD because of how bad GtI was. :/

The DS versions of PMD will always be my favorite games on the DS by far. They were so great and I could just replay them over and over because there were so many different options for starters and the story never got old. The games were just so great.

Rick Sure

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrJigglypuff1996
I got PMD as a kid 'cause I was like, "Cool, Pokemans!" and I thought they were alright. However, replaying them now, THEY ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! Except for GTI, but other than that, SOOO GOOD! We need a good Gen VI PMD game now. So, yeah. I'm relavent.

Shog

Smash Ace
PMD games are so amazing...I always replayed my DS one, the original Blue Rescue team was still a great experience, though.

But I played the 3DS game (as a Demo)...wow that was bad.

The GBA/DS ones really need to be done again, with a great story etc. They were a ton of fun and they let me appreaciate pokemon like Chatot much more (I hated Gen 4 Sinnoh, because I had Pearl, also known as SLOW AS SNAILS)

Hipersonicc

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hipersonicc
3DS FC
1375-7739-0314
The story was so deep... it was great to play as a pokemon for one time, i got a bit emotional when i was near the end of both blue and time explorers team...

And also i played as Totodile and Mudkip, my favourite starters of all time :) (Without restarting the test!)

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
How has this thread not exploded by now? GUYS! SUPER MYSTERY DUNGEON CONFIRMED!

For those who may not know, Super mystery dungeon will be the next game in the mystery dungeon series, and it will be released in the Americas in Winter, I believe. Not much has been announced, but here is what I have heard:

Confirmed aspects of the game as far as I know:
Every starter ever will be offered as a playable character, as well as pikachu and riolu
There will be a LOT of legendaries in this game, enemies and friends

Things that I have heard, but the translators may have mistranslated or lied about (since pretty much all information has been in Japanese):
The personality quiz to assign you to a pokémon is back!
The overworld is very island based, and you will use a lapras as transportation between dungeon

Do you know of/think you know any more aspects of the game? Are you as hyped for this new installment as I am? Because I have a feeling that this game has more potential than any of the previous ones!

Shog

Smash Ace
I KNOW ABOUT IT.
AND I AM HYPED

My team would most likely be Totodile(fav Starter) and Chespin (I always use the current Gen Starter as the partner... Blue was if I remember correctly Squirtle, PMD 2 Turtwig, now Chespin :D

Also hyped by this. Probably going to pick Turtwig as player and Charmander as partner (or vice versa, depending which I manage to get first in personality quiz). I had Treecko and Mudkip in RRT, Munchlax and Turtwig in EoD and Tepig and Axew in GTI.

Hopefully the partner is not so stupid this time, and the punishment of losing in dungeon isn't so bad (losing half of your money is enough, losing items was the main reason why I got stuck on GTI).

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
I'm REALLY excited! There are so many starters this time! I wonder who my partner should be... Well, I have time to think about it. :)

In the series so far, I gotta say my favorite games are the originals. I have Blue Rescue Team, and I always love playing it. The story was simple but enjoyable, and I just really liked the characters. I've replayed it multiple times.

Explorers...? Not so much... Everyone loves those games, and I did too, at first. But after trying to replay it, I just couldn't get into it. The cutscenes dragged on and on when I just wanted to play, and some characters were really annoying. Team Skull was really pointless to me, and I already know what happens in the story, so watching the cutscenes over again was just really boring. So I recently just kinda gave up on the game after that.

As for Gates to Infinity, I like it somewhat. Not as much as the originals, but I don't hate it like some people do. While the lack of starters is disappointing, and just the lack of Pokemon in general, it didn't bother me quite as much. I still had fun with the game, and that's what really mattered to me the most. I also stopped playing it recently in favor of the first games, but I don't consider it a bad game.

When Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon does come out, I will definitely get it. I am really excited, like I said, and hopefully it will be just as good as the first games, or better! It already looks like they are making big improvements, and I can't wait to find out more! :D

Shog

Smash Ace
Explorers...? Not so much... Everyone loves those games, and I did too, at first. But after trying to replay it, I just couldn't get into it. The cutscenes dragged on and on when I just wanted to play, and some characters were really annoying. Team Skull was really pointless to me, and I already know what happens in the story, so watching the cutscenes over again was just really boring. So I recently just kinda gave up on the game after that.
REASON #1 why Skip Buttons are essential in every game! I know your pain, you know the drill with replaying Pokemon and reading the Prof. Dialogue again ...:100:

Yammark Iggy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Trolltorb
3DS FC
1977-0250-8724
Oh hey, a Mystery Dungeon thread!

My favourite of the three has to be Gates to Infinity, with Rescue coming second, and finally Explorers. Never liked it, and I never was a fan of the personality test. Let's face it: you did lie at least once to the quiz, just so you can play as the same Pokemon you did as the previous game, or even the previous playthrough you did of said game!

At least Gates to Infinity fixed it... Sorta. I'm going to blame the fact that you could play as 5 pokemon only. But still, Gates is one of my favourite games.

Also, for the next game... Please don't let the storage function like the one in Explorers. Gates and Rescue had it function perfectly, and I hope it will work just like those two games in Super Mystery Dungeon.

There's one thing that bugs me in Mystery Dungeon regarding the player and partner Pokemon... I wish there would more variety in typing. This one has just five Grass, Fire and Water types, one Electric type and one Fighting type (not counting Bulbasaur's poison type). Most previous games didn't give much variety either:
* Player only
** Partner only

Red/Blue Rescue Team (16 Pkmn, 7 types)
  • Grass (Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko)
  • Fire (Charmander, Cyndaquil, Torchic)
  • Water (Squirtle, Psyduck*, Totodile, Mudkip)
  • Electric (Pikachu)
  • Normal (Meowth*, Eevee*, Skitty*)
  • Fighting (Machop*)
  • Ground (Cubone*)
  • Poison (Bulbasaur)
Explorers of Time/Darkness (16 Pkmn, 5 types)
  • Grass (Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko, Turtwig)
  • Fire (Charmander, Cyndaquil, Torchic, Chimchar)
  • Water (Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip, Piplup)
  • Electric (Pikachu)
  • Normal (Meowth*, Skitty*, Munchlax*)
  • Poison (Bulbasaur)
Explorers of Sky (20 Pkmn, 7 types)
  • Grass (same as Time/Darkness)
  • Fire (same as Time/Darkness + Vulpix)
  • Water (same as Time/Darkness)
  • Electric (Pikachu, Shinx)
  • Normal (Skitty, Meowth**, Munchlax**)
  • Ground (Phanpy)
  • Fighting (Riolu)
  • Poison (Bulbasaur)
Gates to Infinity (5 Pkmn, 5 types)
  • Grass (Snivy)
  • Fire (Tepig)
  • Water (Oshawott)
  • Electric (Pikachu)
  • Dragon (Axew)

Only 8 of 18 types have been represented in PMD's player/partner Pokemon, with ninth (Poison) being Bulbasaur's secondary type. Every type has at least one Pokemon that could be a player/partner Pokemon.

Shog

Smash Ace
There's one thing that bugs me in Mystery Dungeon regarding the player and partner Pokemon... I wish there would more variety in typing.
Can I be honest about your complain?
I don't care. You can always recruit teammembers in Dungeon if you want.

For me it is the same as the Main Games.

Can I be honest about your complain?
I don't care. You can always recruit teammembers in Dungeon if you want.

For me it is the same as the Main Games.
It's okay if you don't care about my opinion. I wouldn't really care either if you could take your other teammembers to all dungeons. For example, I chose Munchlax as player and Turtwig as partner in EoD, and Primal Dialga was real pain, it would've been helpful if you could take Fire or Ground type teammember with you to Temporal Tower (and Hidden Land).

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
I chose my words poorly, not care. I meant I don't think the complaint is that great considering you can recruit other members.

Not being allowed to take other Members to Plotrelevant Maps makes them more challenging to be perfectly honest. Otherwise I would have shrekt Dialga with a Wonder Guard Shedinja :3

Top Bottom