• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokeball update: Familar faces

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
hmm this update i can honestly careless about i mean as a competitive player and not a pokemon fan dont get me wrong back wen i was in 4th grade and i spent a billion dollars on the pokemon cards just to get a stupid hologram i use to love it but wen i play idc what specific pokemon comes out of the pokeball. However i know alot of other people do. Tomarrows a brand new day im calling a subspace update hopefulyl a new boss since we only know of 1. hopefully not an assist trophy they arn't usually that intresting and it just deconfirms people

Ancient Mini-Stir

Smash Cadet
To those who want better models, consider it would look bad on the Pokemon games if the Pokemon looked better in Brawl than in Pokemon Battle Revolution (which, for the most part, used rehashed models as well).

xenogears23

Smash Apprentice
these graphics really are poor....

wtf

it;s like no work has been done on them whatsoever

sigh

mcs

Smash Cadet
set u up teh bomb!

:tired:...the game isint even released and people want info on EVERY character in the game?!?! every update cant be some "TEH BOMB!" update so just enjoy the update you get!

besides sakurai could just not update at all. and NO ONE want that...i think...

ermm...:tired:....zzzzz....zz.z.z..zzz

skyblue

Smash Apprentice
I don't mind the lack of quality graphics for the Pokemon. This just shows that they aren't wasting their time polishing every single Pokemon... I mean, come on. They have Assist Trophies and other Playable Characters to create as well, which would need more polishing than the Pokemon need, for sure.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman

wtf

sigh
i agree they look pretty bad especially when u have asssist trophey that look like the playable characters i dont see why they couldnt improve the pokemon a bit, staryu was the only on i thought looked pretty.

mcs

Smash Cadet
ok ive been wondering since nobody answered me before....does mew and celebi do ANYTHING??? or are they just for show??
sakuri already conformed that mew/celebai now drop special items (ie: the cd gives you unlockable music tracks)

wtf

sigh
its been said from the start that the wii has lesser graphics than the other systems. to tell the truth I dont mind. but at least its better than melee grahphics. now THAT would be bad :laugh: .

Colenstien

Smash Ace
Well we've got items, stages, and pokemon from previous installments, what's next?
Voices from previous installments:
Sakurai: Wow I've heard that death cry before! why it's Fox's voice from Melee!
Just wait it's gonna happen.

mcs

Smash Cadet
ooohhhhh....in melee they... well the first time you see mewtwo i think it unlocks sound test and celebi...i think celebi unlocks the all star mode (someone correct me if im wrong)

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I kind of felt an item update coming on so I can't say I'm disappointed. These days I don't really get upset over bad updates anymore; I laugh at them.

I guess this was better than getting them all as single updates, anyway. Something that's curious is that, while the models obviously look last-gen, they also look like new models. Specifically Entei, just looks like a new model than what was used in Melee.

The low polygon count is obviously to avoid a FPS dip when the little monsters are summoned, and honestly you just won't notice it in all-out Brawl gameplay. Not to mention 98% of players play without items, and therefore - according to Nate - are girls.

The low polygon count doesn't really bug me. If they were playable characters it really, really would, but the playables all look great. Heck, bosses look great as well. These are just boring summons that'll only pop up for a few seconds at a time.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I kind of felt an item update coming on so I can't say I'm disappointed. These days I don't really get upset over bad updates anymore; I laugh at them.

I guess this was better than getting them all as single updates, anyway. Something that's curious is that, while the models obviously look last-gen, they also look like new models. Specifically Entei, just looks like a new model than what was used in Melee.

The low polygon count is obviously to avoid a FPS dip when the little monsters are summoned, and honestly you just won't notice it in all-out Brawl gameplay. Not to mention 98% of players play without items, and therefore - according to Nate - are girls.

The low polygon count doesn't really bug me. If they were playable characters it really, really would, but the playables all look great. Heck, bosses look great as well. These are just boring summons that'll only pop up for a few seconds at a time.
1. This was a good update. He very well could have given them to us individually. I am thankful he got it out of the way and did all of them at once.

2. I agree, I really don't think the Pokemon look all that bad for things that pop up for only a few seconds at a time. I doubt many people will notice at all during gameplay, therefore, why waste time detailing them and disk space with the high poly textures. The point about frame drops is also a good one, but assist trophies might negate it since many look like playable characters, or at least close. I have to admin Goroh and Lyn look like they have lower poly counts than playable characters.

3. 98%? I hope that was sarcasm... most people do play with some items, and there is always single player which, to date, has never had an item switch.

NO COMPARING BRAWL TO HALO (kidding)

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Well it's atleast good to know the old Pokemon are back, unlike Melee, which had only new ones.

It seems Brawl is taking alot of elements from N64 smash bros, which is good.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
Anyone ever watch 'Big Fish'? It's a Tim Burton folk tale deal with a character who makes a deal with a carnival owner. For every few months he works at the carnival (Usually being shot out of a cannon, tortured, working every bad job possible) the guy will tell him something about this girl he saw at the show, whom the character knows is the love of his life.The owner gives him these odd details like 'She goes to college', 'She likes Lillies', and other meaningless junk. Takes a huge twist to finally her NAME and where he can go see her after years of slaving away for worthless details.

...Starting to know how he feels. Week of bad updates, we get...'It involves...Mew dropping items if you see her...'
It's worth it for the real details, but times like these make me remember that movie.

Kraid Guy

Smash Lord
I am a minion of Ridley and live on the Space Pira
ooohhhhh....in melee they... well the first time you see mewtwo i think it unlocks sound test and celebi...i think celebi unlocks the all star mode (someone correct me if im wrong)
Celebi appears after you completely beat the game, and play a lot of versus matches. It comes out of a pokeball very rarely, too, and I've never seen one. All it does is give you the Celebi trophy.

As for Mew, it just gives you points after the match. In the bonus thing, it says Mew Sighting or something. And it gives you the Mew trophy.

CRAZYxGAMER

Smash Rookie
duh lol

LIKE omg man i was going to get that game for christmas...
but no!!
the releasing date is going to be **** late!! :mad:
just wow
but anyways... the pokemon thing is pretty noticible!:p
and who's going to get super mario galaxy here??
i think i am... but i'm not sure

Well it's atleast good to know the old Pokemon are back, unlike Melee, which had only new ones.
Say what? I seem to remember Charizard, Goldeen, Clefairy, Chansey, Snorlax and Mew being in both past installments.

Celebi appears after you completely beat the game, and play a lot of versus matches. It comes out of a pokeball very rarely, too, and I've never seen one. All it does is give you the Celebi trophy.

As for Mew, it just gives you points after the match. In the bonus thing, it says Mew Sighting or something. And it gives you the Mew trophy.
No.

You have to beat 5,000 versus matches to get the Random Score Display, which ties in to the 'beating the game' part you mentioned. But it's not like you have to beat the game, and then play a lot of matches.

But you do NOT get the Mew Trophy for seeing Mew.

Zek

Smash Ace
Melee had some truly sadistic achievements for the perfectionists. Here's hoping they won't repeat the "1,000,000 Vs. Matches Played" message...

komickid

Smash Apprentice
I think the mew celebi sighting thing in ssbb is awesome it makes those super rare pokemon even more awesome!

Top Bottom