• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokédex Entry: Luigi

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i hear reflex is the master of this matchup

don't let luigi get close and you win, pretty much...watch for tornado since it's his only decent mobility option. wall, wall, wall in this matchup.

Kith

Smash Ace
Is he really? I hope he posts soon then. I would love to hear what he has to say about it.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, Reflex plays BigLou a good bit in tournament.

I don't have a whole lot of MU experience here, but Squirtle always does the best for me by far.

T-block

B2B TST
Ivy gets jab up-b'd and dies at like 40%

That's like the extent of my knowledge on this matchup lol... there's a good Luigi in my region that I've played a couple of times, but I'm still figuring out the matchup.

T-block

B2B TST
We can still post stuff so Reflex can rip it all apart later lol.

As Squirtle don't get too combo happy... Luigi's n-air hits on frame 3 and has ridiculous priority. I tried to stay away from Ivysaur... seems like Luigi gimps him pretty easily, and the super effective up-b doesn't help.

As for stages, I would probably either go Smashville or Pictochat. If we follow Steeler's idea of walling off Luigi, space would be good. FD or PS1 might be good options too.

bigman40

Smash Master
The basic strategy vs Luigi: Hit and run. You can't outright challenge him, but since squirtle is fast enough, you can use his speed to keep some momentum. Bair spacing is fairly good from what I know.

~Mieu

Magik0722

Smash Champion
rocksmash, it pushes luigi far enough away on shield that he cant really punish it with much, i think only tornado, but its only the last hits and only does like 2%

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
This is pretty easy as long as you play it safe.

Once again, I'm kind of busy right now, but I should be able to give a full analysis by the end of the day.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
He said he had finals and stuff, so give him a week
This.

A lot of the reason I lost to BigLou is because I was trying not to have a COMPLETE MENTAL BREAKDOWN after getting my car totaled eight hours away from my house, almost getting disqualified from MLG altogether, and having to deal with incredibly needy friends and irritable parents all at once.

Prior to the match against BigLou, I almost lost to a G&W that didn't really know how to play the game, which is silly, because on normal days, I'd be willing to money match any G&W for any amount of money. For anyone that saw those matches, that is not an accurate representation of my matchup knowledge or ability.

But, what the hell? I just finished my English research paper--I'll help with this. Plus, I beat Lounis in a tournament last weekend, in case anyone doubts me. :p

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
For Squirtle, it mostly depends on how campy you're willing to be. This is definitely a matchup where your safest moves make a world of difference. F-Tilt should be your best friend, even more so than usual.

Feel free to run away with shellshifting and hydroplaned stuff. Simply moving a bit helps a whole lot, like walking or using shorthop N-Air in place, as his jab (the most threatening thing in his arsenal) outranges most of your stuff, but moving in and out of Luigi's range will help you a lot. He'll be rolling toward you, spotdodging in your face, throwing out jabs, and using Down-B to get in. Because none of these options are very good, using moves with very low cooldown, such as F-Tilt and quick aerials, will allow you to anticipate and punish his approach attempt without much trouble.

Do yourself a favor and don't be above him when he's on the ground. If you find yourself in such a situation, you need to move away unless it's too late. Try not to challenge him in the air unless you're in a great position to do so, like from under a platform. Trades are bad in this matchup, and the Luigi has to mess up for aerial fights not to trade. Edgeguarding isn't difficult; I usually find myself knocking Luigi after his Forward-B by using D-Air if he's low. If not, get the F-Air and repeat the process, since F-Air will put him back where he started, and you can repeat it. Water Gun completelystops his Forward-B, so it's good to keep it charged for that. Since most Luigi players will constantly be in an animation of some kind, footstooling is not going to happen, and STUPID LUIGI CYCLONE WILL SPIKE YOU AND MAKE NO SENSE, because it's STUPID, so make sure you outrange him and take full advantage of him when he's offstage.

If I can stress anything in this matchup, it's that you need to be really patient. Don't fish for grabs or worry about fatigue; you don't need to be very aggressive until he's off the stage.

Also, Lounis cheats--For some reason, approximately half of his Forward-B uses are misfires, but only when he's fighting me. :(

Good thing Water Gun negates them, though. :)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'll post about Ivysaur and Charizard later today. I have some errands to run today, which involve putting the finishing touches on my research paper and turning it in. Then I can be active once more. :)

Kith

Smash Ace
Thanks Reflex :-)

I think one of the biggest challenges in many match-ups for Squirtle is for the player to learn not to be so aggressive. It's hard for Squirtle in particular because it appears that his incredible aerial mobility and quick attacks promote this. Luigi (and IMO Wario) are match-ups where you really have to get rid of that mind-set and play a much slower, safer game.

At least, that's what I've figured from the few times I've ever played Luigis or Warios.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
is name is lounis? that's a bangin name.

most of what luis said about squirtle should apply to ivyzard as well...it's just that they aren't quite as effective at being as safe as possible.

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
I have a good Luigi in my region and I notice like Reflex said, if you play patiently, then you should be okay. Spacing with Flamethrower is good as always, but seems to be especially effective against Luigi because it shuts down his approaches and eats his fireballs.

Top Bottom