• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Point some KY Smashers in the right direction.

almostdaft

Smash Rookie
NNID
skmaynard
3DS FC
4914-3142-0794
First off; hello! I live in the far eastern part of Kentucky. Secondly; I love Smash as I'm sure you do too--this is a Smash webstie, after all! A group of roughly 10 of us have always enjoyed playing it. We've dropped in and out of the phase, devoured videos online from Apex matches, EVO streams, the Smash Brothers documentary, and more. We've spent nights at each others houses just playing Smash.

Basically, we love Smash--but we want to get competitive and into this scene.

We've been in competitive scenes in other games, but nothing as close as how the Smash scene is presented. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of Smash playing that goes on in our county. We're stuck with battling each other--which is fun, but it never hurts to try new things!

I've joined the subreddit for Smash Bros. I've joined a regional Facebook group. Now, I'm here on http://smashboards.com--and it looks more promising that the other two. I suppose the most organize way for me to present my requests would be in a list format, so I'll give that a shot:

• As I said, we live in the far part of eastern Kentucky. I mean, like, the border of West Virginia. This is the closest region filter I could find for my scene. If you think any other would better suit my needs, I would appreciate being sent the right way and apologize taking up your time!
  • Where are some locations in which tournaments are held frequently? The tournament listings on this fourm are a bit over-whelming to navigate and I was hoping if I could get a listing of what ones I should keep an eye out for. I'd like to keep it all as close as it possibly get for our starting points. We sure as hell don't expect to be taking home prize money, so we would hate paying outrageous expenses to travel over three states to lose--despite how much fun we would have.
  • We've considered starting a scene ourselves here in our hometown, they are some nearby places that are more populated than our own and may have some smashers around that we could reach out to. Are they a set of guidelines to setting up local tournaments that everybody expects? Can anybody direct me to the latest tournament rules for each Smash variant? How common are house rules?
Thanks in advance for reading, I appreciate any replies you can give and I'm eager to read them! Additionally, I apologize if this isn't the kind of place for this thread, and I would love to be pointed in the right direction. I'm very excited to meet new people who share the interest we do and I hope that can become a real possibility!

Last edited:

Solatic

Smash Rookie
Wait what, I live near other people who like Smash? Yay for east KY borderline WV smashers! Of which there are probably 2 unless you know more.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I got some time, so I'll help you all out.

So, welcome to the KY Smash community; we're glad to see some new enthusiasm, and we hope that you enjoy what our community has to offer. So, here's the basic low-down on all the cities in KY.

It looks like you all would be closest to Morehead, and while their Smash scene isn't the most thriving, it has people like Mister Eric (really cool guy; you should get to know him) as well as Keroro Platoon's own Hael Phael. Ironically, they tend to travel the most OoS of all of us, and they tend to be at every KY tourney. Unfortunately, I haven't kept up with local Smash at Morehead, so I'm not sure who else comes from there.

Then you got Lexington, which is mostly into Brawl and Project: M (the former moreso). Shadow Phoenix, Soldier 2, Spec, Earl, and myself are here. Like Morehead, we tend to show up a lot, too.

Finally, Louisville, which is the farthest from you guys, and 100% Melee, unless you count Joey, who is no longer active, but was one of the best Brawl players (and KP).

Those were the three main Brawl hubs, but Richmond also surfaced recently about a year ago, and they're able to get together surprisingly quickly for Smashfests. They are mostly Brawl oriented, but a few dabble in other Smash games. Lots of KP people here, Kryp and Twig. They're a great group to hang out with, but are kinda far from you all unfortunately. Like Morehead and Lexington, these guys also show up at basically all KY tournies.

Green-Up also deserves a mentioning mentioning, with Forward Air, Smile, and Ralph Cecil, who are all really great Brawl players. Unfortunately, they apparently have a small aversion to practicing. Try to invigorate them or something.

Also, there's this one Amida guy that lives in Georgetown or whatever, but he's KP, so he's also a really good player. Expect to see him at tournies, too.

As for tournaments, Melee/P:M (with occasional Brawl) are hosted in Louisville at Parallel Worlds (monthly). Richmond also has the potential to host tourneys, but we have a hard time working things out. Lexington guys host monthlies in Nicholasville at the Playroom, which tend to garner a substantial amount of participants. The games included are always Melee, P:M, and Brawl. Morehead used to have tournies, but times change and stuff. Lastly, a guy in Frankfort by the name of Wink is trying to get Frankfort tournies worked out. As for upcoming tournies, we have this: http://smashboards.com/threads/well...re-3-february-15th-2014.345201/#post-16207035
There will also be a tourney on March 1st in Indiana, but I don't know if you all could make it that far or not.

As for tourney rules/advice: The ABC's of Tourney Hosting
It's generally good to use a large tourney's (in this case, Apex's) ruleset as a base for your own tourney ruleset (although you may include a bit of variance). Brawl Melee P:M
For Brawl, I will say stages such as Delfino, PS2, and RC can all be legalized with few complaints; Apex decided to take a slightly conservative stage list route this year.

Anyway, I hope I have been a help in some form or another. I look forward to possibly seeing you all start coming to tournaments, or even possibly hosting your own!

almostdaft

Smash Rookie
NNID
skmaynard
3DS FC
4914-3142-0794
It looks like you all would be closest to Morehead, and while their Smash scene isn't the most thriving, it has people like Mister Eric (really cool guy; you should get to know him) as well as Keroro Platoon's own Hael Phael. Ironically, they tend to travel the most OoS of all of us, and they tend to be at every KY tourney. Unfortunately, I haven't kept up with local Smash at Morehead, so I'm not sure who else comes from there.
A friend of mine goes to Morehead State University and says they play Smash frequently there still. He hasn't heard of any tournaments going on, however. Whenever he comes back in to visit, I'll ask him some more about it.

This looks interesting. I may try to make it with a couple of my friends. Looks like M2K has interest in it!

Anyway, I hope I have been a help in some form or another. I look forward to possibly seeing you all start coming to tournaments, or even possibly hosting your own!
Especially with the tourney hosting rules, you have been an incredible help. We might try to host something local and attend a few bigger tournaments farther away--hopefully we can see you somewhere soon!

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Definitely glad to hear that. I'm happy to help anytime.

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
First off; hello! I live in the far eastern part of Kentucky. Secondly; I love Smash as I'm sure you do too--this is a Smash webstie, after all! A group of roughly 10 of us have always enjoyed playing it. We've dropped in and out of the phase, devoured videos online from Apex matches, EVO streams, the Smash Brothers documentary, and more. We've spent nights at each others houses just playing Smash.

Basically, we love Smash--but we want to get competitive and into this scene.

We've been in competitive scenes in other games, but nothing as close as how the Smash scene is presented. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of Smash playing that goes on in our county. We're stuck with battling each other--which is fun, but it never hurts to try new things!

I've joined the subreddit for Smash Bros. I've joined a regional Facebook group. Now, I'm here on http://smashboards.com--and it looks more promising that the other two. I suppose the most organize way for me to present my requests would be in a list format, so I'll give that a shot:

• As I said, we live in the far part of eastern Kentucky. I mean, like, the border of West Virginia. This is the closest region filter I could find for my scene. If you think any other would better suit my needs, I would appreciate being sent the right way and apologize taking up your time!
  • Where are some locations in which tournaments are held frequently? The tournament listings on this fourm are a bit over-whelming to navigate and I was hoping if I could get a listing of what ones I should keep an eye out for. I'd like to keep it all as close as it possibly get for our starting points. We sure as hell don't expect to be taking home prize money, so we would hate paying outrageous expenses to travel over three states to lose--despite how much fun we would have.
  • We've considered starting a scene ourselves here in our hometown, they are some nearby places that are more populated than our own and may have some smashers around that we could reach out to. Are they a set of guidelines to setting up local tournaments that everybody expects? Can anybody direct me to the latest tournament rules for each Smash variant? How common are house rules?
Thanks in advance for reading, I appreciate any replies you can give and I'm eager to read them! Additionally, I apologize if this isn't the kind of place for this thread, and I would love to be pointed in the right direction. I'm very excited to meet new people who share the interest we do and I hope that can become a real possibility!
Okay, let me start out by saying you are awesome. I love the enthusiasm, and this is exactly what this community wants. I am so glad the KY community continues to grow like this. Kero basically covered everything, but there is one thing I am really surprised he did not mention. We have a facebook group, this is by far the most interactive part of our community outside of tournaments. You will EASILY know about every tournament. And if you are as enthusiastic as you seem, you will be familiar with the community in no time! (I was enthusiastic like you, and so was Wink..... both of us got involved super quickly. While there are people who shy away and have been in the community for years and I still do not know them.) Smashboards is great, for many things - but facebook is the best for quick interaction, and overall interaction with the local community. Here is the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/271575972914386/

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Ralph Cecil
Lol Ralph asks to practice in our group chat pretty dang often, he's just too far from anyone (I take the 40 minute drive when I can).

If you're in Martin County, you're a bit of a ways away from the rest of KY smashers (similar situation to me honestly. I live in Portsmouth, OH). You're about an hour and 45 minutes from Greenup, and about 2 hours from Morehead, both of which have smashers but never really any tournaments. This isn't terrible, since I have to make long drives myself to go to tournaments, but I'm not sure how comfortable you are with driving long distances, especially in KY.

Solatic

Smash Rookie
Wow this is awesome, I never imagined there being any smashers anywhere nearby. I'm gonna start trying to attend these monthlies. :joyful:

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
Welcome man. As people have already said Louisville is mostly melee and everywhere else is mostly brawl. I am sure you and your group will be able to find your niche in one of the little subgroups of Kentucky.

almostdaft

Smash Rookie
NNID
skmaynard
3DS FC
4914-3142-0794
Welcome man. As people have already said Louisville is mostly melee and everywhere else is mostly brawl. I am sure you and your group will be able to find your niche in one of the little subgroups of Kentucky.
Hopefully so. How is Project: M picking up Kentucky, if you know? It's mainly what I've been focusing on myself and I'm having a blast with it. Is it just sort of stapled onto tournaments?

KERO

Smash Journeyman
More or less, yes, but the good news it that the majority of people that play Brawl or Melee also play Project: M. I'd say the closest thing to an actual Project: M area would be Lexington, where we do have a few that are dedicated solely to the game (Hoboz, TTar, and Ercilynn). Others like SP and Spec play Brawl as well, but often practice Project: M (I'm kinda sorta included in this group, but lately am questioning my ability to easily switch between games at tourney).

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully so. How is Project: M picking up Kentucky, if you know? It's mainly what I've been focusing on myself and I'm having a blast with it. Is it just sort of stapled onto tournaments?
I like P:M, anyways, if ya come to Parallel this sarturday I'd gladly have some friendlies with ya, to find me ask for the Pichu challenge, or just ask for "Ness kid"

Stewpedaso

Smash Rookie
Hello, I'm fairly new to the community, although I've had an account here for a while and loved Smash for several years now. I'm planning on trying to get into the scene once my car is fixed. I've been playing the games off and on since Melee's release, I'll usually stop playing for about 3-4 months (or until the next tourney is streamed). Then I'll end up picking it back up. The only problem is, I have almost no experience playing against actual people. I've been playing computers for years now and I'm afraid I may have picked up some bad habits. With my terrible internet and my friends' disinterest in the game, it's really my only option. If anyone lives near that would like to play Smash, I'd happily invite you! I don't really care what game we play, although I'm really into PM right now.

almostdaft

Smash Rookie
NNID
skmaynard
3DS FC
4914-3142-0794
Apologize for reviving an old--sort of--thread, but I heard they was another tournament going on next Month in Morehead while I was at NDT#3. Anybody have more information on that?

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
If you guys are still checking out this thread, this may be of interest to you (or you may already know about it):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KyOhWVa.Smash/
http://smashboards.com/threads/mar-...friendlies-ironton-ohio.349849/#post-16493167

Some people are starting up some weekly get-togethers and may start hosting tournaments in the near future in Ironton, OH, which is right by Ashland, and not too far away from Morehead and Huntington, WV. It might be a good midpoint for all the WV players and KY/OH players. So maybe we can get something going if you guys are interested.

edit: ftr this is mainly Melee, but I think a few of the guys also play PM if you're interested.

Last edited:
Top Bottom