• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I would love this for him and Mario. I did that in my custom build back when I did that stuff. But I'd honestly rather them do the fancy magic that lets characters have more than 10 slots so Mario can get back his Wario color, add the ice color, and maybe a color based on Mario Maker.
I thought they said they weren't going to do that right now because the extra costume slots make the game run slower or something.

Mario's blue recolor doesn't look like the Ice flower ability though, its based off his Super Mario Bros 2 artwork.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I feel like additional alternate costumes for Mario should be off the table since they're squeezing two characters into one slot. If his slots are expanded, there should be equal regular to docs to select from.

I thought they said they weren't going to do that right now because the extra costume slots make the game run slower or something.

Mario's blue recolor doesn't look like the Ice flower ability though, its based off his Super Mario Bros 2 artwork.
Exactly why we'd like to see Ice Mario represented in PM. I didn't know about the slow down, I just figured it was unstable.

And while we're talking about simple recolors, why does yellow Diddy still have a white hat? It was yellow in DKC.

Shin F.

Smash Master
That, and as far as I know, there's still no real way to resolve battle portrait ID conflicts.
Speaking of, his Ice Flower colors are much nicer. I wouldn't mind at all if it replaced his current blue.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
That, and as far as I know, there's still no real way to resolve battle portrait ID conflicts.

Speaking of, his Ice Flower colors are much nicer. I wouldn't mind at all if it replaced his current blue.
I disagree. I think the dark blue is nice, and its a cool reference. I wouldn't mind if Luigi's blue outfit looked like that too, but because its been around since Smash 64 days, I don't wanna ruin someone's main's colors..

Shin F.

Smash Master
I cannot express how much I love this. Especially with how Project M has been discovering glowey stuffs, and my appreciation for semi-alts.

Though Orange Mewtwo: Higher priority.
But but but

Screen Shot 2015-11-01 at 12.53.54 AM.png

This one already has orange in it ^

Kidding, but I think PMDT is unfortunately still sticking with their No Mega Evolutions rule. I'd love to have this if they were willing to break it, though. It's pretty epic as potential alts go.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
That design is hideous. Mewtwo in edge forme has no place outside of this spinoff game.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
That design is hideous. Mewtwo in edge forme has no place outside of this spinoff game.
Mewtwo.PNG

I love your usage of the word "edge", but this is pretty cool. It's not the first time edgey Pokémon were around, and comparatively, this isn't the worst offender. The Mega Forme is a bit over-the-top, but the few seconds before that would fit Project M pretty well... It's better than caped Mewtwo or any other Mewtwo ideas being thrown about, I think. But I am a bit biased towards semi-alt ideas, and the thought of the fun they could have with the glowey bits and the specular map bits are just too awesome. I love graphical gimmicks.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
In your opinion, sure it's cool. In my opinion, it isn't cool at all. Dark, shadow, evil, etc character designs don't appeal to me. Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place. Dark Link was a fine boss since you have to learn to fight yourself (though I never agreed with it's inclusion as a pallete swap in smash) and Dark Samus is actually a really cool character, though I think the name should have been Phazon Samus or something. Shadow Lugia bothered me a bit, but at least they tried to explain why he got the special treatment compared to other shadow pokemon.

But Mewtwo already has 2 mega evolutions. Did he really need a new forme too?

I do completely agree about putting orange Mewtwo in top priority. wtf Nanobuds Nanobuds

And speaking of alternate formes, where the hell is my Crystal Onix, Gamefreak?

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
In your opinion, sure it's cool. In my opinion, it isn't cool at all. Dark, shadow, evil, etc character designs don't appeal to me. Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place. Dark Link was a fine boss since you have to learn to fight yourself (though I never agreed with it's inclusion as a pallete swap in smash) and Dark Samus is actually a really cool character, though I think the name should have been Phazon Samus or something. Shadow Lugia bothered me a bit, but at least they tried to explain why he got the special treatment compared to other shadow pokemon.

But Mewtwo already has 2 mega evolutions. Did he really need a new forme too?

I do completely agree about putting orange Mewtwo in top priority. wtf Nanobuds Nanobuds

And speaking of alternate formes, where the hell is my Crystal Onix, Gamefreak?
That makes a lot of sense. Dark [SUBJECT NAME HERE]'s aren't usually very clever. Firstly, like you said, the name. On top of that, the only differences are two spikes, change of colour to black and red, make the character an angry form of its counterpart, and BAM, quality! I'm looking at you, Sega. I've always thought that's why Phazon Suit is so popular - it looks like edgey Samus.
I think that's why "Dark Samus" is so popular, she was more than just a Phazon Suit of Samus (even though she literally is), she was an organic form of something mechanical, with different abilities, a different character in general.

I like that Mewtwo thing because I don't see it as something like that, it feels like the same character that's been stabbed by a Starcraft 2 mineral that's totally glowing and is super pretty and stuff. It feels less like a carbon copy and more like an accessory and palette change - pretty much from exclusively a Smash Bros. perspective. I totally see where you're getting at, though, probably.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Dark Characters are easy to do badly, I will not deny. Ignoring what he is, however, the design itself is good and fairly appealing. And that's all I really care about in regards to costumes.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
This is somewhat unrelated to art.. But do you guys think that there should be some form of additional attacks for Link? It seems like in PM, his toolset only takes him so far. Sure, he can get a ton of combos out of bombs and boomerangs, but am I the only one who felt he was somewhat lacking in close combat?

themaziest

Smash Cadet
Yeah give Link his iconic Jump Attack from OOT as a tilt!

But as you stated, this is totally not related to "Arts and Alts" so be quiet fool.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I got a question: Why doesn't Luigi have his Melee Fair(Karate Chop) in PM? IIRC I've heard people who main Luigi(Vist) kinda dislike him because his moves are all slightly different in their frame data - thus, their animations. PM Luigi's Fair has been modified to hit much further in front of him.

As you can see, this chop is much more vertical than the PM chop, and in Melee, you can use it effectively as a safe landing tool.
My proposal: Add a version of Luigi's Melee F-air that can be input by tilting the analog stick down right as the attack begins.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Well, we know what's coming from me, so I'll make it as inoffensive as possible.

Something something Sword of Seals;

here lies my hopes and dreams.

Otherwise, nice job I guess.
Don't worry - I predict three days after release until a Sword of Seals version comes out.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Well this is bittersweet.. I'm still mad about the FE alt consistency and I still agree about the sword of seals, but holy balls is the quality truly amazing.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I disagree. I think the dark blue is nice, and its a cool reference. I wouldn't mind if Luigi's blue outfit looked like that too, but because its been around since Smash 64 days, I don't wanna ruin someone's main's colors..
I agree with your disagreement. I personally think the Ice suit power ups absolutely RUIN the color schemes of Mario and Luigi. I really dig the darker blue with the darker red. If anything, I NEVER ever see people suggest that interesting light blue/yellow with tanish overalls color that Mario has in the Mario Bros arcade gba game. Also, no one seems to do the lighter, sea foam green Luigi with purple overalls, more similar to Smash 64.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_advance/mariobros/sheet/6165/

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
God forbid the sword be alternative like the costume itself and accurate to its depiction.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I agree with your disagreement. I personally think the Ice suit power ups absolutely RUIN the color schemes of Mario and Luigi. I really dig the darker blue with the darker red. If anything, I NEVER ever see people suggest that interesting light blue/yellow with tanish overalls color that Mario has in the Mario Bros arcade gba game. Also, no one seems to do the lighter, sea foam green Luigi with purple overalls, more similar to Smash 64.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_advance/mariobros/sheet/6165/
I did not know that this even existed.. If you told me that this was a fan-made sprite sheet, I'd have believed you.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Squirtle definitely should've followed the trend of small pokemon getting hats like Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Pichu did.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that was because they were small, I've always thought that the small Pokémon didn't get actual palette swaps because their shiny forms don't really change their colors unlike the starters, Mewtwo, etc

Here's an example for those that don't know Pikachus shiny form

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
We could always give more hats to Jigglypuff. She's still missing her 64 bow and what a perfect opportunity to give her something purple..

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Squirtle instead of colour he could have this as alternates:
I like you a lot. I know for a fact that I would never not wear the Marina hat.
We could always give more hats to Jigglypuff. She's still missing her 64 bow and what a perfect opportunity to give her something purple..
I thought the same with the sash, being purple, but the bow is even better.
Although I would like another Squirtle costume (like the ones posted above) I much prefer him to have recolors than hats in general.

I don't think that was because they were small, I've always thought that the small Pokémon didn't get actual palette swaps because their shiny forms don't really change their colors unlike the starters, Mewtwo, etc

Here's an example for those that don't know Pikachus shiny form
That makes a lot of sense, I always thought it was because of how weird it'd be. Most characters have two colour changes, Pikachu is almost entirely one colour though.
For the record - I think that the "subtle" colour changes should be a bit brighter, maybe even have subtle pattern changes. I know that wouldn't be an easy feat with Brawl's art style, but it'd still be pretty neat.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I'd still like to see shiny Pikachu/Jigglypuff. Just give them a hat as well to further differentiate them. Though I really just want to see Masked Pikachu as an alt.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Squirtle instead of colour he could have this as alternates:
I like it. Fisherman's hat from Gen III for the Red recolor, Team Aqua bandana for Blue, and I'm not sure for Green.. Maybe a green towel resting around the neck? The sailor one has to make it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom