• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I was wondering what that was!
And from the reddit thread:
orangegluon said:
Does the Wii ROB also have a custom gyro, or is that only for the Mario Kart ROB?
TOCK said:
Yes he does! Sorry I don't have a picture for you right now. :C
I wonder if Virtual Boy R.O.B. will also get one, like a Virtual Boy catridge or something.

Also, now that we're talking about the gyros, US R.O.B. uses a red one instead of a grey one.

TOCK

Smash Apprentice
I did not see that coming! BEAUTIFUL!! R.O.B's one of my favourite characters. What's the inspiration behind the scary red eyes? Is it me, or do they look more shiny than usual?
Sppppppoooookey red eyes!

TOCK

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm glad wii rob is finally official. It was in so many custom builds already, so it should save people the trouble of going to my jank website : P

I really do want to make pikmin suit Ganondorf.... one of these days I'll dig deep.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I'd like to point out that this means R.O.B. only has enough room for one more costume. Now is the moment where I start begging for Atomic Purple R.O.B. like a baby.

It's hard to see from the images, but did you reuse Grey R.O.B's textures? I, personally, think a few of his textured slits should be removed to emphasize the differences between Grey R.O.B. and Mario Kart R.O.B., and to further fit Mario Kart R.O.B. into the Mario styling, given that's a Mario reference. Though that's just 'cause I like changes because changes.
What up with the disc coming from his head?
In Tock's mod, that's the facial expression R.O.B. makes when ouchy.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Huh, never realized.

And yes, Atomic Purple would be the absolute best. Probably be a ***** to make all the internal parts, though, lol.
I don't know the technical limitations of Brawl, so I don't know if they can make the outside transparent, while modeling a smaller low-poly R.O.B. skeleton inside, or if they should just leave it to textures.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I'd like to point out that this means R.O.B. only has enough room for one more costume. Now is the moment where I start begging for Atomic Purple R.O.B. like a baby.

It's hard to see from the images, but did you reuse Grey R.O.B's textures? I, personally, think a few of his textured slits should be removed to emphasize the differences between Grey R.O.B. and Mario Kart R.O.B., and to further fit Mario Kart R.O.B. into the Mario styling, given that's a Mario reference. Though that's just 'cause I like changes because changes.

In Tock's mod, that's the facial expression R.O.B. makes when ouchy.
MK R.O.B. and grey R.O.B. actually look rather different. I'm personally hoping the last slot goes to a GC R.O.B.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I don't know the technical limitations of Brawl, so I don't know if they can make the outside transparent, while modeling a smaller low-poly R.O.B. skeleton inside, or if they should just leave it to textures.
I think it would be possible to pull off the former. Partial transparencies are done often enough in Brawl, and double-sided low-poly faces with textured chips inside probably wouldn't bloat the file size too much. I don't think they'd need to be super detailed with the inside parts since it'll be partially obscured by the purple anyways.

I'm not sure that just texturing the existing models with the inner details would turn out very well. Of course, I suppose they could just forego the insides entirely.
MK R.O.B. and grey R.O.B. actually look rather different. I'm personally hoping the last slot goes to a GC R.O.B.
That could be nice, too. It could also make a nice purple alt, since that's one of the classic Gamecube colors.

... What if they combined them? Gamecube head, atomic purple body? Then you'd have a costume repping the N64, Game Boy Color, and Gamecube all in one and if they go with the purple Gamecube, it probably wouldn't look too clashing.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Hey guys, just dropping this here for you!

http://imgur.com/a/PW8bY
Duude Mario Kart ROB is rad! It reminds me of a ROB skin someone made that turned him into Angry Luigi in his Kart that was modified into like a mech, lol

But this version looks so much more suitable as an alt, I miss the purple D-Pad logo for his kart though, but that can be easily added by ourselves.

I'm so glad the Wii ROB alt is official now, it's perfect.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
MK R.O.B. and grey R.O.B. actually look rather different.
I'm having trouble seeing a difference, other than the eyes and the kart.
... What if they combined them? Gamecube head, atomic purple body? Then you'd have a costume repping the N64, Game Boy Color, and Gamecube all in one and if they go with the purple Gamecube, it probably wouldn't look too clashing.
That's a cool idea that would satisfy everyone, though I personally prefer the simplicity of the semi-altness of the Atomic Purple.
I think it would be possible to pull off the former. Partial transparencies are done often enough in Brawl, and double-sided low-poly faces with textured chips inside probably wouldn't bloat the file size too much. I don't think they'd need to be super detailed with the inside parts since it'll be partially obscured by the purple anyways.
Do you know how to transparent texture? I've always wanted to but never knew how, if I did, I'll try making Atomic R.O.B. myself, sneaking it over to Nanobuds, and telling him to take all the credit for its creation.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Do you know how to transparent texture? I've always wanted to but never knew how, if I did, I'll try making Atomic R.O.B. myself, sneaking it over to Nanobuds, and telling him to take all the credit for its creation.
Nope. It's the same way fur works, and like I said, I can never quite get it right, lol.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Couldn't bump mapping be used in texturing an Atomic Purple ROB?

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I don't think Brawl's engine is compatible with such magic.
damn.

Well I've thought of a couple of new interesting ideas for PM.

First thing is that apparently if you pummel someone with Lucas in a rhythm, it'll do more damage, just like in Mother 3.
If there could be a way to see what the rhythm is, that'd be an awesome way to finally add his signature musical attacks to the game. Although not many people would be able to do it much if people could break out of the grab easily..

Second thing is that (I think) we need more character references and variation in Lucas' current alt colors.
One thing that Smash 4 did which was really clever was they made his Blue recolor into a Duster reference, which was something people suggested in the OP.

All that we'd need to change is make his hair a light brown, and make his shorts and socks reddish-purple, and his shoes brown.

Another thing I've mentioned before is that Lucas and Ness should have their alt colors switched around, since Ness' shirt is based off a character in Mother 3. Then to make the reference more obvious, give Lucas dark brown hair.

Finally.. I like how Smash 4 made his Green and Pink recolors non-striped shirts with sprites on them.. Maybe the same thing should go for PM, but with different sprites? I'd even be cool with a big 3 on both shirts.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
damn.

Well I've thought of a couple of new interesting ideas for PM.

First thing is that apparently if you pummel someone with Lucas in a rhythm, it'll do more damage, just like in Mother 3.
If there could be a way to see what the rhythm is, that'd be an awesome way to finally add his signature musical attacks to the game. Although not many people would be able to do it much if people could break out of the grab easily..

Second thing is that (I think) we need more character references and variation in Lucas' current alt colors.
One thing that Smash 4 did which was really clever was they made his Blue recolor into a Duster reference, which was something people suggested in the OP.

All that we'd need to change is make his hair a light brown, and make his shorts and socks reddish-purple, and his shoes brown.

Another thing I've mentioned before is that Lucas and Ness should have their alt colors switched around, since Ness' shirt is based off a character in Mother 3. Then to make the reference more obvious, give Lucas dark brown hair.

Finally.. I like how Smash 4 made his Green and Pink recolors non-striped shirts with sprites on them.. Maybe the same thing should go for PM, but with different sprites?
I like the rhythm pummel idea. If it's possible for that to be implemented, it'd be really cool.

Just so it's out there though, and this is just my opinion, I like the clothing in the Duster costume but I think the brown hair is incredibly ugly on that Lucas recolor.

I like the idea of changing his green recolor. I never liked it. The pink one is nice enough, but I wouldn't be opposed to it being changed to a solid color, either.

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Poor Mario, if only he had more slots left.

Seems like a Wrecking Crew reference.
It would be cool if they did expand the slots to 14 someday as some characters have lots of potential. The Mario costume I'd like the most would be his Sunshine outfit.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Hahaha!
NO.

Because right now, that's the only number higher than 10 that can be achieved and last I checked it wasn't a perfect method.
If I recall correctly, it doesn't allow for proper Character Selection Screen and Battle Portraits, as they only count up to ten. I think. Though it'd be cool if they made the portraits a black-and-white canvas, and use some coding magic to colour them in. Reuse one texture for multiple palettes.

But knowing the Project M Development Team, they'll find a way, they always do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom