• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please Help

Squeek727

Smash Cadet
Ok so i have been playing this game for about 2 years on and off. Only for the last 3 months have I actually know what a good player is (ex: wavedashing, L-cancel... so on). So when i tried these things out i sucked. I was wondering if you all could give me tips on how to practice all of the skills like wavedashing, L-cancel, short-hop, and any others you could think of. I use Fox mostly and have about a 50% wavedash right now. Also i would like to know how to waveshine if thats what they call it idk, when you wavedash and shine at same time. Id really like the help and thank you for those who can help me.

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
Ok so i have been playing this game for about 2 years on and off. Only for the last 3 months have I actually know what a good player is (ex: wavedashing, L-cancel... so on). So when i tried these things out i sucked. I was wondering if you all could give me tips on how to practice all of the skills like wavedashing, L-cancel, short-hop, and any others you could think of. I use Fox mostly and have about a 50% wavedash right now. Also i would like to know how to waveshine if thats what they call it idk, when you wavedash and shine at same time. Id really like the help and thank you for those who can help me.
I'm in the same boat you are but I've been really working at it in the last week. There are plenty of guides on here that explain how to do everything but few talk about the best way to practice it.

First off, wavedashing is not really useful enough till you can do all the other basic techniques like short hopping and L-Canceling and doing them together consistently. Ya sure wavedashing looks cool and it's good for mindgames and yeah it's an essential technique, but it doesn't mean you're gonna dominate just because you can wavedash either.

All I've been doing is starting up training mode and short hopping a lot. Some characters have an easier time with this obviously but it's prolly the most important thing to learn and its required. I'd start by practicing shorthopping all over Final Destination for a while. Try to short hop at different distances, in different directions, and backwards till you can do it consistently. Once you got that down (which will take time in itself), practice L-Canceling ALL of your characters A-aeriel attacks then put both skills together. That'll definitely give you enough homework for a while.

It really doesn't help to fight against a moving opponent until you can do the basics consistently. You're much better off just practicing the finger motions of the basic skills till you can do them without effort.

One thing I do recommend is.....when you get bored with always practicing, actually play a game and while you're fighting, try to L-cancel as often as you can. It'll seem hard at first to concentrate on what you're doing and L-canceling too, but once you get it in your system you'll think to yourself "How did I ever play the game without it?".

Squeek727

Smash Cadet
Well i know how to do like everything (sarcasm) i just want to know how to practice it when i have no one to play with.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
There is your problem. Go get friends and play this game with them. Otherwise, you will never get experience with real humans-mainly because computers spam and don't learn how to actually fight.

pdk

Smash Lord
regional boards, buddy, you'll get plenty that way (southern PA has plenty of players, and aren't there a few big-name players in MD/NJ?)

St. Viers

Smash Champion
also, practice WDing with bowser...seriously.

Being able to WD consistantly means you can WD perfectly with almost any other character.

Radicalation

Smash Rookie
I find Training Mode and Lvl 1 CPUs helped the most when I was just starting out as well. It took me about a month to completely wavedash from one end of Final Destination to the other both frontwards and backwards.

Squeek727

Smash Cadet
Yeah see i dont know what skill to do first. Wavedashing is like a 75% chance for me on Fox or Marth... but im unsure if i should do L-cancel first or what.

pdk

Smash Lord
LCing is more important immediately, for the WDing i'd practice with luigi or samus then move on to whichever chars you want

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
Practice wavedashing before you even worry about waveshining, too..
Rapid is definitely right about this. When I first heard about all this, I insisted on learning all this with Fox and it's tough but so worth it.

Yeah L-canceling is definitely more important at first. Just keep up your practice routines. You'll get there.

Top Bottom