• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PLEASE HELP: Wavedash into jab grab

WEEBL3S

Smash Rookie
Please help me! Im having troublw with my jab into grab set up. When i wave dash, then hit A for the jab, i hit the Z to grab but it just follows up with a secong jab.. what am i doing wrong?? ALSO if you know any great grab set ups other than desync blizzard into grab i would appreciate the suggestions! Thank you for your help!

ilysm

sleepy
You need to cancel the first jab; the most common way to do this is to crouch immediately out of the jab (there are other things that can cancel jabs like jumps, dashes, and turns, but crouch is the most useful in this situation; I only mention this because jab cancel is super useful for other stuff like jab -> dsmash and jab cancel shield pressure). Crouching will cancel the endlag of your jab 1, and you can do basically anything out of it. Then grab immediately out of the crouch. If you hit z while still in crouch, though, you'll buffer a dtilt, so you need to be careful of timing. If you're really stuck, you can do a jump-cancel grab out of the crouch, which sacrifices a few frames of speed for being easier to do imo.

Desync ice shot to force them to shield and then grab is a pretty handy grab setup. Pivot desync can do some fun stuff, like pivot desync -> Popo smash -> Nana dair and pivot desync -> Popo smash -> Nana grab. That said, working on your fundamentals in order to get grabs will significantly boost your number of successful grabs more than all the cool desync setups combined. The desyncs certainly help, though! ^_^

WEEBL3S

Smash Rookie
Great! Thank you for that information!! It is extremely helpful and ill look to definetly incorporate that into my gameplay! It is GREATLY appreciated!

Ol Jim Grizzigsby

Smash Rookie
I would highly recommend using walk instead of crouch, this is mostly because I end up doing dsmashs more frequently than a crouch -> grab, and it essentially buffers. it has a similar input (at least, the way I think of it) to the ftilt in wobbling, plus it can move you forward, helping counteract if they DI away. If im fighting luigi I often do shieldgrab after jab, since they can nair out of it if they di up/away at mid/high %s

Ol Jim Grizzigsby

Smash Rookie
Well you can do a grab out of walk, whereas if you try to do a grab before the crouch end you do a dtilt. some people just use the crouch to react easier, then they do a walk->grab. arbitrary but is easier to visually identify.

WEEBL3S

Smash Rookie
Wow okay! Great guys! Thank you for that info! Its gonna be really useful to me!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Everyone already said it, but just to clarify, walk is way better for jab->grab or jab-> buffer shield.

crouch is used almost only for jab->jab or if you wanted to do jab->dtilt (also good for dsmash/turn around dsmash, but you can also use walk for both of those).

jab->iasa crouch is also good for making nana do certain things when desyncing, primarily off of guard desync since that actually makes her jab.
So thats good to know as well.
Good for jab cancel->blizzard/iceblock or things like that.

Top Bottom