• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please Critique this scrubby Mario

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
Hey Mario thread, wanted to know if anybody can give me some advice or point out some habits of my Mario. Went against a Marth, the whole thing is like 16 minutes long. But I would more importantly like some critiques on Game 1 and maybe 5. There is jumps to each game in the description.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiCdESaux9c

JKJ

Smash Ace
I only watched game one, but I do have a few observations.
1. You have way too many tech-flubs. Not much to say about it besides nail those Wavedashes and L-cancels. You can't be missing those.
2. You have to learn the percentages at which your moves are no longer crouch-cancelable. You were getting punished quite a lot for SHFFL nairs that were simply crouch canceled into an attack of Marth's choice.
3. Improve your move choices. Several times I saw you opt for a move and just plain miss when another move would have hit. This comes with experience, but having efficient and effective move choice is very important.
4. Try to react, with prediction as a helping hand. You seemed to be playing entirely on prediction, going for hard reads quite a bit and often just plain missing.
5. Mario-specific....learn your recovery. Mario can recover from quite far (I know, I play Mario and have recovered from insane distances) if you maximize and optimize his recovery. Firstly, never use down-b to gain vertical height, it won't work. Use down-b earlier in your recovery, after a few capes, and try to get the max horizontal distance. Learn to spam b faster. Also, save your second jump in case you are hit off again.
6. To practice b-spamming: Go to Fountain of Dreams and stand in the middle under the center platform. Down-b, and you should be able to land on the top platform if you are spamming fast enough. Practice this.

Overall, pretty good games, work hard, and you will have success!
Hope I could help.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
As Mario, you cannot compete with a good Marth in the air. You jumped at him way to much, I would recommend approaching him from the ground with some variant of wavedash out of shield -> grab.
You also used your double jump by the ledge way too much, like at 15:05. A better Marth would have killed you every time you did that.
The way you use nair with Mario is how you are supposed to use it with Doc lol. Mario's nair gets super weak near the end of the move, which is why you shouldn't use it to approach. You should try to get under him with up airs or utilts. Basically with Mario you should never attack a grounded opponent with nair.
If he approaches you, get under him, hit him with utilt, uair, etc. Keep him above you, and avoid being above him.
Be mindful of your recovery, not just how to make it back but how to avoid/keep your opponent away. Also remember that you lose you double jump after you up b. You had a sick recovery with that one really early up b you did to stop him from spiking you. As a Mario player, your recovery is something that you will always have to work on, even Shroomed could work on his a lot.

Overall, you had some good combos and did some cool stuff, but to sum things up, be careful with your double jump by the edge, use nair less (not to approach/attack a grounded opponent), stay on the ground more (for approaches especially, especially vs Marth, and literally don't go in the air EVER to approach Sheik). Hope I helped!

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
Hey thanks a lot to both of you I will definitely be practicing with all of this in mind. I'll definitely be researching some stuff on what to do when. And changing up the way I play vs marth.
4. Try to react, with prediction as a helping hand. You seemed to be playing entirely on prediction, going for hard reads quite a bit and often just plain missing.
-JKJ
Hey JKJ can you expand a little more on this. I mean I kinda know what you mean but I am curious on more about the reacting part of it. What does that exactly mean?

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
-JKJ
Hey JKJ can you expand a little more on this. I mean I kinda know what you mean but I am curious on more about the reacting part of it. What does that exactly mean?
I think I know what he means. Let's say Marth is in his shield, and you think that he is going to jump out of shield, so you run up and do a nair above his shield to cut him off. However, he waited a bit longer, and he simply unshields and starts utilting/uairing you. Instead of going for this hard read, you could have waited for it and gone under him with a uair. Basically I think he's saying to keep your predictions in mind, but don't always act immediately on them, but rather use them to enhance your reactions, as you react faster to something you expect. By doing this, if your prediction is wrong, you don't leave yourself open. Although I think it is good to go for hard reads if you are confident and can avoid punishment, but making that distinction will come with time.

JKJ

Smash Ace
I think I know what he means. Let's say Marth is in his shield, and you think that he is going to jump out of shield, so you run up and do a nair above his shield to cut him off. However, he waited a bit longer, and he simply unshields and starts utilting/uairing you. Instead of going for this hard read, you could have waited for it and gone under him with a uair. Basically I think he's saying to keep your predictions in mind, but don't always act immediately on them, but rather use them to enhance your reactions, as you react faster to something you expect. By doing this, if your prediction is wrong, you don't leave yourself open. Although I think it is good to go for hard reads if you are confident and can avoid punishment, but making that distinction will come with time.
This is what I meant. Thanks for summing it up for me.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
One thing I like to do with marth is dance around a spacing thats in between an immediate fair / his fsmash, if he goes for a fsmash you can generally punish him if you react fast enough and anything else can be out spaced then punished through dash dancing. This may be a really bad idea but it works out against bad marths at least :p

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
This is what I meant. Thanks for summing it up for me.
I was going to respond thanks to both of you, and I totally forgot, I appreciate it and I will try not do this more often.

One thing I like to do with marth is dance around a spacing thats in between an immediate fair / his fsmash, if he goes for a fsmash you can generally punish him if you react fast enough and anything else can be out spaced then punished through dash dancing. This may be a really bad idea but it works out against bad marths at least :p
Doesn't work if the person trying it isn't a great mario though XD

JeezImSoBored

Smash Apprentice
hey so i think i'll be playing with you guys soon, lets all get better together :D
i dont main mario or anything but i'll share my thoughts:

00:02 really nice u got the uair in, but at this percent i'd think there are better options than dsmash, maybe utilt or grab could lead into something else. after he is knocked down u immediately backed away, covering the roll in option with bair, which is fine, but maybe you shouldn't give him so much space, i donno.

00:05 really nice grab. Not sure why you went for nair instead of another bair, which seems like could lead to many different things

00:42 just wondering if you know how to Wavedash out of shield, it's pretty good in these situations for retreating or going in (its honestly one of the most important techniques imo)

00:45 if u anticipate his attack you can try to do one of those mango run to shield and counter attack. when u are cornered like that most marths will want to f-smash it seems

2:36 when ur away like that maybe u can try and get a few fireballs out, it might help ur approach

end of first game---

i dont think nair works well against marth, maybe you should try to get in more uair and bairs (ex. run away then wavedash back in with a bair)
in general uair with any character ***** marth so i assume mario's would work too :p

u seem to have trouble getting in, maybe can do more of those run in shield and wavedash out of shield into a grab

2nd game
4:33 are you trying the double up-B with mario? if you donno what that is, u can wall jump after ur up-B and then up-B again, its kinda tricky though
4:37 seems like you dont Jumpcancel grab very much, try to learn it if u can, it has less lag (but i heard for some characters its better to do dash grab, not sure if mario's one of them)
5:40 i think you could have went for another bair right away
5:50 if he starts dodging too much of ur stuff u can start doing empty hops when it seems like u have clear advantage, or any other kind of waiting move, it works pretty well if u know their habits

3rd game
7:30 i know nair comes out quicker but it also has a smaller hit box. i feel like most of the time it'd be better to space the 2nd bair instead of using nair
9:50 utilt instead would have hit :D

4th game
10:40 instead of backing off and throwing fireballz i think grabing ledge to bair or trying to crouch cancel downsmash might be better. one of the falco edgegaurd mango uses against marth is to grab ledge and do a regular getup into a crouch cancel downsmas. i feel like it should work with mario too. in general mario has great edgeguard with bairs after grabbing the ledge, there are a lot of options from there.
10:54 not sure if it matters but i would have downB stalled and try to hit him with it so then i can upB back, not sure if it'd reach but doesn't hurt to try right?
11:20 just bair him right after his dodge :D
12:06 not sure what ur doing, u made a lot of poor recoveries :(

i feel like u should try out jab or grab or utilt after fair instead of always dsmashing, especially at low percents.

5th game
13:47 dont get baited, just try to space bairs or fsmash if he uses aerial from ledge
14:15 try to chain short up uairs

in general try to see if u can combo harder XDD its pretty important against marth. once u get in you gotta make it count.

JeezImSoBored

Smash Apprentice
i just tried on training, around 65 percent i can chain 2 uairs into a fsmash and it counts as 3 consecutive hits. i could also chain 4-5 uairs from around 55 percent, all of which are consecutive hits. i also tried uair to jab around 35, and it works too, (2 consecutive hits) fair to utilt also work from 0 all the way til like 56 percent

the numbers aren't exact cuz we also have to consider di

fair can also combo into uair chaining :D

time to practice combos mannnnnnnnn

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
:45 in my defense here I didn't have splitters yet and it lagged hella hard on the screen
2:36 I don't fireball too much but I think its possible
4:33 Im usually decent at Upb wall jumping I don't know why it wasn't working there
10:54 The down B would not have been able to hit him there also I can't smash the A button fast enough to down B stall anyways.
12:06 thought he was gonna grab ledge but he missed it, also once again dunno why i couldn't up B wall jump that day

Other than that though thanks for the advice, this vids a little old might post a more recent one soon, I will say that getting U-tilts are pretty hard, I don't know if people have a reliable way of hitting them, but it leads to so much stuff, so its true I gotta learn to use it. I don't know about the training stuff though, I do practice a lot with combos, but Im honestly really crappy with U-Airs just gotta practice more

JeezImSoBored

Smash Apprentice
:45 in my defense here I didn't have splitters yet and it lagged hella hard on the screen
2:36 I don't fireball too much but I think its possible
4:33 Im usually decent at Upb wall jumping I don't know why it wasn't working there
10:54 The down B would not have been able to hit him there also I can't smash the A button fast enough to down B stall anyways.
12:06 thought he was gonna grab ledge but he missed it, also once again dunno why i couldn't up B wall jump that day

Other than that though thanks for the advice, this vids a little old might post a more recent one soon, I will say that getting U-tilts are pretty hard, I don't know if people have a reliable way of hitting them, but it leads to so much stuff, so its true I gotta learn to use it. I don't know about the training stuff though, I do practice a lot with combos, but Im honestly really crappy with U-Airs just gotta practice more
yeh get those U-airs down and you will **** marth :D as for utilt, if u get a Fair u can pretty much always get Utilt, or if he does his nair approach i think ur utilt beats or trades with it at least, but then he'd be in the air and u will have better position even if it trades

a rookie

Smash Ace
Koopa: To get good uptilts, it's a reaction/read/intuition all at the same time.

Just think of it like Fox/Falco's shine. They dair and follow up w/ shine. Why though?

It's because that covers their "gap"(getting shield grabbed/counter attacked).

So think of Mario's uptilt as a shine. Make intentional gaps at times to bait their approach and DESTROY them w/ uptilt <3

Top Bottom