• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please critique my Lucas

Batteries

Smash Cadet
I only watched the first video, so I don't know if what I saw there translates over to what is in the others, but you need to b-stick. It's one of the techniques that sets Lucas apart from the other characters at this point. Also, the pikachu was using some of the same techniques over and over, and worst of all, you still played right into them. I'd recommend working on reading situations and your opponent before you start to work on more advanced techniques.

Now for the positives. I liked the sh nairs you used (at least that's what I think they were). Also, I liked how you didn't use attacks that would get you punished all that much. There were a few instances where a good u-tilt would have worked more reasonably, but other than that, I'd say you're on the right track.

Batteries

Smash Cadet
Just read around in the forum. I tried to find a video of it recently, but had no luck.

In summary, what it is is setting your special attacks to the c stick (only works on gc controller) and when you jump in the air, while holding left or right, press the cstick in the opposite direction. Propells you backwards but the attack still fires from the initial position.

Batteries

Smash Cadet
It's difficult to get used to, but once you do it's an incredible strategy. Plus, with bsticking you can use PsiMag Pull which can be one of the most effective recoveries in the game when paired with zap jumping.

Don't worry about those for now.

Levitas

the moon
check my vids in the vid compendium, there's a ton of bsticking in all but the ones that link to youtube.

I'll take a look at your vids now.

Ok, a couple of things I noticed: first off, I like your jab use and recovery strategies, they're quite good. Also, on the whole, I think you've got a pretty good lucas.

I feel like you are taking a fundamentally different approach to the game than me in one way: spacing. You like to get up in their face, start pressuring them with jabs, grab if they shield, maybe throw a nair in there, and eventually hit with a smash (ideally if they roll behind you). That's cool, but I think that's not where lucas does his best.

I find that lucas likes to be right outside the enemies range PK firing (bsticking ideally) for a while, and if they get closer somehow, use a fair, grab, or dsmash to get them away again. If they get really close, you know exactly what to do: the jab combo, maybe a grab or tilt.

I also think you underutilized the utilt. It sets up for a nair or uair a lot of the time, and it's pretty fast.

That's all I've got.

Broly

Smash Lord
all right, im goin to try the b-sticking today, n get the feel for it, i like the spacing bit since i did that alot in melee(Marth). what can anyone say i should do against olimar's pikmin and falco in general?

Powda

Smash Apprentice
Levitas, if you ever get the chance, I'd like to see you vs a good Pit.

Pit having 2 abilities to send PKF/PKT etc etc back at you makes it very difficult to do what you are saying.

Thx !

Edit -
As for the video. I advise to practice hitting the opponent once or twice before throwing them after the grab. It will build good damage with your strategy. Once you get in the habit it will be second nature to hit him once at lower percentages 2 middle and 3 higher etc etc.

GL

Levitas

the moon
Olimars pikmin don't like fire, you can outspace them with that. Also, you can get close with Nairs and it reams them. Falco can be more safely approached in the air than on the ground, just make sure your brain's turned on during the fight and you'll do fine.

Broly

Smash Lord
yes, but dam falco chaingrab irritates me, lol. but i can pk fire well i guess. n olimar is easy outside the stage with edgeguarding him is simple.

Batteries

Smash Cadet
Lucas' PsiMag seems to activate faster than Ness' so that's an effective technique vs. a Falco at a distance. Makes him come to you, and when he dows, just dodge and punish.

Aptera

Smash Cadet
Edge Gaurd more. down B and forward B are edge gaurding tools. spam foward B more. Try wavebouncing. When you throw someone off the edge, be alot more agressive. jump toward them and forward Aerial A, don't stand and wait. your opponent air combos you so you should air dodge sometimes rather than down A.

GofG

Smash Champion
Broly:

In my opinion, you just need to speed your game up more. Less nairs, more fairs and ftilts. Keep the pressure on. If you can't stay close enough to them to keep pressure on, back the hell off and spam WBSHPFKs (that acronym is why we need to name things that are long and drawn out even if they aren't unique). Either keep the pressure on up close, or keep the pressure on from far away, but don't switch back and forth. Try to stick to PKFing until you seen an opening, then go for it.

Top Bottom