• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please critique my Link

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
lol there are way too many critique threads on the boards now XD W/e, we all want to get better.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
lol there are way too many critique threads on the boards now XD W/e, we all want to get better.
Most of them will die anyway. Mine is probably included.

Hey, I've been watching all of you complain out there. I know most of you have been referring to my thread, among others. DX

Allred, all I can suggest is get some people you know to play with you. Even if they're awful, they play like a human (I hope). CPU's don't play like humans at all.

But you're like me, because I have about six good human vs human replays on my wii and 49.333 me vs cpu matches that were hilarious (like a 17 second 3 stocker)

Otherwise pretty good.

BTW, I think you've been reading up on how everyone loves Norfair, haven't you? ;)

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Okay m00, I'd like to point you to a few threads that will help you out a lot, hopefully saving you some searching.

First, watch Izaw's 'The Art of Link.' It does a great job at teaching the advanced techniques you'll want to include in your gameplay to improve a lot.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=V0u3sUOShcI

Next, you've got two options.

If you're more of a visual-watch-and-learn kinda guy, go ahead and check out the 'Link Video Archive,' where you can find a ton of matches against different opponents. Watch a lot of them; notice the differences and similarities in the playstyles of the Link users here.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183565

If you'd rather read up on the core strategies instead, NintenJoe's 'The Triforce of Courage, An Advanced Guide to Link v1.1' is an all-around nice guide that includes the basics to the advanced techniques.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=194177

My personal opinion on your matches is to make use of your projectiles more and to try different approaches if you're going in for some stabbing. :p

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
My suggestions would be first of all, to not charge your arrows, they're better combined with short hops to keep your opponent off balance, so to speak, when you charge them it makes you somewhat predictable. Also don't overcommit to your attacks, try to fake your opponent out more, and as Link, one thing that should be more or less automatic is keeping your projectiles on the field at all times. Bombs in the air and boomerangs constantly flying around the level will make your opponent less happy.

As far as your close-range combat, just let yourself pretend that you're in a sudden death match and you have to hit your opponent without letting them hit you. That strategy may sound overly simple, but just give it a whirl and I guarantee it'll help.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
OK, you have a long way to go. First thing you should do is learn defense like shielding and dodging and basic moves like short-hopping, fast-falling, shield-grabbing. Also read up on directional influence (DI). Once you are familiar with the basics and have a solid grounding on them, then learn some advanced techs found in Izaw's Art of Link video. Read up on the stickies and you should do fine. Keep at it.

sasook

Smash Champion
If you'd rather read up on the core strategies instead, NintenJoe's 'The Triforce of Courage, An Advanced Guide to Link v1.1' is an all-around nice guide that includes the basics to the advanced techniques.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=194177
Yeah, this guide is great, no doubts there, but if this guy needs to learn the basics, mine's a bit more fitting. Think of my guide as a prerequisite to NintenJoe's.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
I haven't looked at the guides much yet; just the video thread. I'm not very sure what is exactly contained in these guides; I just skimmed over Joe's and saw it was pretty good. Apologies for overlooking your guide sasook. lol. I'll actually have to look at it later so I can start perfecting my reverse bomb-slide. :)

But yeah m00, listen to sasook. xD

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Yeah, this guide is great, no doubts there, but if this guy needs to learn the basics, mine's a bit more fitting. Think of my guide as a prerequisite to NintenJoe's.
my post right now has absolutely nothing to do with critiquing, but Sasook's great usage of vocabulary just gave me an orgasm

Top Bottom