• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing with Ph1r3 - Gold Version

Guide Playing with Ph1r3 - Gold Version

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Hello I had a question which isn't really much related to Roy specifically, but what does the -0 on shield in bold for the up air means? Or any number in general? Does that mean it does 0 dmg to the shield? And anyone have more trouble chaining up airs with the change to the ending lag? I feel like I always press jump to early so I end up not even jumping, but it's probably because I'm still new haha, thank you!
That number refers to what's called shield advantage.

When you hit a shield, there is a certain amount of shield stun depending on how powerful the attack is. During shield stun, the defender cannot let go of their shield, and so is kind of stuck there. Whenever you attack a shield, there is a certain amount of time before you can do anything else because of the ending lag of the move you've used.

Shield advantage is the difference between the length of their shield stun and the ending lag of your move. Having a -0 on shield means that if you hit someone with a well-timed L-cancelled up air, at the exact frame that you can input a new move, they can drop their shield or act out of shield. -0 is a very good shield advantage because most options out of shield take additional time, while the attacker is just in a standing position and so has all of their options available to them.

Killablink

Smash Rookie
Thanks for your explanation, although I'm not sure about something ( sorry english is not my first language ><). I'm not quite sure how a -0 on shield is an advantage since you said on that frame they're able to act out of their shield if we L cancel right? Would there be some kind of video explaining it or some other info please? Thanks again and sorry >_<

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Thanks for your explanation, although I'm not sure about something ( sorry english is not my first language ><). I'm not quite sure how a -0 on shield is an advantage since you said on that frame they're able to act out of their shield if we L cancel right? Would there be some kind of video explaining it or some other info please? Thanks again and sorry >_<
-0 on shield is good because most characters do not have options that allow them to punish instantaneously. in other words, if both of you are able to act on the same frame, in order for them to get a punish, they have to shield grab you, jump out of shield and do an aerial, or do an up b out of shield. the quickest grabs come out on frame 7, which means that at -0, you have 7 frames to roll away (rolling takes 4 frames unitl you get invincibility), do some kind of quick move like jab (which for roy, is 4 frames), or even run away, which only takes a couple frames. only when characters have extremely quick OOS options, like GWs up b (frame 1 hitbox), bowsers up (frame 1-4 invincibility, frame 5 hitbox), or other really quick ones, like DK, samus, or charizards up bs, can you make a punish on an attack that is -0 on shield, and that is with very good timing also.

this is why even attacks that are -3 and -4 on shield can still be utilized to stay safe and avoid punishes, whereas attacks that actually are positive on shield (like peaches FCd aerials, which almost all are +4 on shield) allow you to get free grabs with the opponent barely even being able to spot dodge.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Hello I had a question which isn't really much related to Roy specifically, but what does the -0 on shield in bold for the up air means? Or any number in general? Does that mean it does 0 dmg to the shield? And anyone have more trouble chaining up airs with the change to the ending lag? I feel like I always press jump to early so I end up not even jumping, but it's probably because I'm still new haha, thank you!
So the -0 on shield means that your frame disadvantage from hitting their shield with said attack is 0. In other words your not put into a frame disadvantage for hitting shield with it. Though, I believe that was only true in PM 3.02 as the new landing lag on l-cancelled uair should make it -2 now. Welcome to the smashboards by the way. I couldnt tell you about the uair chains as Im not great at them (I generally get about 2-3 in a row when I have a chance). If your having trouble with it then Id imagine the only thing to do would be to just keep practicing til you get the new timing down. You shouldn't have to adjust your timing too drastically as 2 frames extra isn't a huge difference.

Edit:Just saw that you got an answer on the frame thing sorry this is mostly redundant now.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i think the added 2 frames of lag was just to prevent roy from having stupid good strings on even the likes of floaties that can lead into bairs at easy kill percents. marths uair strings cant even compare, even now still. plus, roy also has dair, which can combo into bair longer than uair can. i highly doubt its going to enact any kind of significant change to him. all its doing is trimming off the excess, as i think it was overly free before. now you can still get the same effect at the same kill percents, you just have a smaller window before they can escape out of a follow up.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Heads up guys, I'll be going through stuff in the next day or two and updating things to reflect the Roy changes for 3.5! Gonna add a stage section as well to give my thoughts on how Roy does on them.

Ok so Ive been reading the footsies handbook and the 6th chapter goes into close range combat and eventually talks about the difference between gimmicks and tactics in regards to attack situations. gimmicks being only useful once while tactics being situations you can put an opponent in where they have to choose one option or another both of which you have a solution for where neither option can be counter the same way (thus making it so the opponent has to make a 50/50 choice of which option to cover and hope you arent doing the other one). So I was curious what options/situation roy has in that regard?
There aren't as many "hard" 50/50s in smash where you only have two options versus two types of defense, but there are definitely situations you can use that sort of logic for with PM Roy. Lets take a situation...you dtilt someone's shield at optimal distance away, and they are have their back relatively close to the ledge, so an easy retreat isn't an option. Some of your better options afterwards; dtilt again, nair, dash JC grab, wait. Vs opponent's options; shield grab, spotdodge, jump OoS, roll, continue shielding.

Dtilt again - Beats grab clean and punishes hard, assuming that you're spacing optimally (outside of their grab, but inside sweetspot range). Likely to whiff vs spotdodge, but dtilt has less cooldown than a spotdodge, so you'll still be in an advantageous situation. Goes even with rolling; dtilt cooldown is low enough to not get punished, but you'll still be at about neutral. Jump OoS will go over a dtilt, and characters with beefy enough aerials will hit you hard enough afterwards for you to not be able to crouch cancel punish, losing you momentum at best and getting you punished hard at worst. Shielding puts them at the same situation as before, minus some of their shield's health; advantageous.

Nair - Beats grab with a light punish. Beats spot dodge with a light punish (assuming optimal timing of having the third swing around actually come out, which you should be doing in this sort of situation). Loses to long range aerials OoS (like marth fair) and some other aerials done ASAP after shielding the dtilt. Whiffs on (most?) rolls, putting you in a fairly bad situation. Vs shielding it grinds down shield health, pokes at the top of shields for easy stabs, and leaves you in a decent position afterwards.

Dash JC grab - Technically loses to an ASAP grab, since you'll have to be dashing into your opponent's range and are at a bit of a frame disadvantage. (In practice it wins vs most character's grabs, though, since Roy's grab range is above average and will be optimally spaced outside of theirs.) Loses to spotdodge, putting you in neutral at best and get you lightly punished at worst. Loses hard to jumping aerials OoS. Loses to roll, leaving you in neutral vs an opponent too far away to actively pressure. Beats shielding clean.

Wait - Beats grab, with possible dtilt punish. Beats spotdodge, with possible dtilt or hard punish fsmash. Loses hard to jumping aerials OoS. Beats roll, with possible dtilt, grab, or fsmash punishers. Goes even with continued shielding.

This may sound pretty daunting for a defending opponent, and thats because it is. Optimal dtilt spacing is where Roy works his magic, and opponents forced to shield a dtilt at that range with their back to the ledge will be in for a rough time. Lets say that you're point blank with your opponent for whatever reason in that situation whenever they shield dtilt...your options become much less safe. Your best options; dtilt again, jab, nair, grab, wait, shield, spotdodge, roll away. Opponent's best options; shield grab, spotdodge, jump OoS, roll, continue shielding.

Dtilt again - Loses to shield grab. Same as above Vs spotdodge; roughly even, though whiffing the dtilt at this distance is a little scarier. Loses to jump OoS, and at this distance most characters will be able to punish you harder. Goes even with roll, same as above. Loses to continued shielding, where your opponent is more likely to correctly time a shield grab to punish you.

Jab - Technically loses to a frame perfect shield grab, but in practice, more often than not, it will beat the grab out. Whiffs vs spotdodge, leaving you in an advantageous position. Beats all but the fastest aerials OoS. Whiffs vs roll, leaving you in a slightly advantageous position. Loses to continued shielding via shield grab punishes.

Nair - Loses to a quick/frame perfect grab. Beats spotdodge with a light punish. Loses to jumping OoS with aerials. Goes even with rolling, same as above. Even with continued shielding, but leaves you in a rather disadvantageous situation unless your drift back outside of shield grab range.

Grab - Loses to grab due to being at a frame disadvantage. Loses to spotdodge, with a punish being more likely. Loses to quick aerials used OoS. Slightly advantageous vs roll. Beats continued shielding.

Wait - Loses to grab. Beats spotdodge, with potential dtilt or fsmash punishes. Loses to jumping aerials OoS. Beats roll with potential dtilt, grab, or fsmash punishes. Slightly advantageous vs continued shielding, as it turns a situation with poor frame advantage to the same situation with equal frame advantage.

Shield - Loses to grab. Beats spotdodge with shield grab punish. Advantaged vs jumping aerials OoS, where you can punish with shield grab at best, and have momentum at worst (with the exception of characters like the space animals who can safely pressure a shield after landing with aerials). Loses to rolling by putting you in a terrible situation where you simultaneously have your back to your opponent in shield and are backed into the corner of the stage. Goes even with an opponent's continued shielding.

Spotdodge - Beats even a frame perfect shield grab. Slightly disadvantageous vs spotdodge due to frame disadvantage. Loses to jumping aerials OoS. Slightly advantageous against roll. Loses to continued shielding.

Roll away - Technically loses to a frame perfect shield grab, but slips away more often than not in practice. Slightly disadvantageous vs spotdodging. Even vs aerials OoS, though is punished by wavedashing OoS. Slightly advantaged vs continued shielding, due to putting more distance between you and your opponent despite still being at a slight frame disadvantage.

As you can see, a lot more options at his distance are unsafe, especially if your opponent has the godlike reflexes necessary to shield grab ASAP on reaction to shielding the first dtilt. If you don't have your opponent backed into the corner of the stage, they also have the option of rolling or wavedashing OoS away ASAP, which nulifies any option besides "wait" (which it is slightly disadvantaged against), but loses to the new "good" options of "chase deep with an early wavedash/run".

(Some of the above options are obviously different depending on the character you're playing against, and there are also options that I've naturally left out, some either because they are highly unsafe/a gimmick (such as throwing hail-mary fsmashes at your opponent whenever they shield a dtilt) or just not very efficient (like poking at your opponent with a rising fair after a well spaced dtilt, which does less damage and is overall less safe than a nair). One of the challenging parts of smash is of course trying to figure out when to use what moves in various situations, though, and you'll no doubt run into opponents trying out options that I haven't listed. Don't take my examination as gospel; explore for yourself and figure out what options are best versus any options you see your opponents take!)

This is all a lot more complicated than Street Fighter's "high/low/throw/block" vs "block high/block low/DP/backdash", obviously, but the theory is the same. Smart pressure can condition your opponents to not pick certain options, and then it becomes much easier to "guess" correctly and pick the option that will beat the one that your opponent chose!

On a similar note Im having a bit of trouble applying the ideas in the footsies handbook to PM since the handbook is all referring to SF and games like it, which is a bit different. I'd really appreciate any advice if you have time as I realize that these are long questions to answer.

Some of the elements described in the Footsies Handbook are more relevant than others. To analyze one;
Element 01: Momentarily step into your opponent’s poke range and quickly back out instead of attacking. This is Footsies 101. To see it in action, check out Mike Watson’s HF Guile demolishing some poor ******* – two consecutive full rounds of toying with his opponent’s natural reactions. This bait works well in tense matches, after extended periods of cautious zoning, or with charge characters who rarely walk forward.

This is the entire purpose of dash dancing, in a nutshell. Opponent is sitting in shield? Dash just into their grab/attack range and dash dance back out, see if they'll take the bait and whiff (and then cash in delicious punishment). The same thing goes for dash dancing in neutral, where instead you want to be moving in and out of the range they could threaten if they try to over-extend into your zone. Marth fsmashing you every time you wavedash in for spaced dtilts? Start wavedashing a little shorter/in place to bait the fsmash, and then punish!

The Footsies Handbook is too big for me to sit down and analyze all of the elements, of course, but the main point of reading it is to get your mind into the process of studying and analyzing the effects you can have on your opponents with movement.

Last edited:

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Guide updated with some 3.5 info, stagelist section, and a table of contents! Check the top of the guide for more info.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Heads up guys, I'll be going through stuff in the next day or two and updating things to reflect the Roy changes for 3.5! Gonna add a stage section as well to give my thoughts on how Roy does on them.

Taytertot said:
Ok so Ive been reading the footsies handbook and the 6th chapter goes into close range combat and eventually talks about the difference between gimmicks and tactics in regards to attack situations. gimmicks being only useful once while tactics being situations you can put an opponent in where they have to choose one option or another both of which you have a solution for where neither option can be counter the same way (thus making it so the opponent has to make a 50/50 choice of which option to cover and hope you arent doing the other one). So I was curious what options/situation roy has in that regard?
There aren't as many "hard" 50/50s in smash where you only have two options versus two types of defense, but there are definitely situations you can use that sort of logic for with PM Roy. Lets take a situation...you dtilt someone's shield at optimal distance away, and they are have their back relatively close to the ledge, so an easy retreat isn't an option. Some of your better options afterwards; dtilt again, nair, dash JC grab, wait. Vs opponent's options; shield grab, spotdodge, jump OoS, roll, continue shielding.

Dtilt again - Beats grab clean and punishes hard, assuming that you're spacing optimally (outside of their grab, but inside sweetspot range). Likely to whiff vs spotdodge, but dtilt has less cooldown than a spotdodge, so you'll still be in an advantageous situation. Goes even with rolling; dtilt cooldown is low enough to not get punished, but you'll still be at about neutral. Jump OoS will go over a dtilt, and characters with beefy enough aerials will hit you hard enough afterwards for you to not be able to crouch cancel punish, losing you momentum at best and getting you punished hard at worst. Shielding puts them at the same situation as before, minus some of their shield's health; advantageous.

Nair - Beats grab with a light punish. Beats spot dodge with a light punish (assuming optimal timing of having the third swing around actually come out, which you should be doing in this sort of situation). Loses to long range aerials OoS (like marth fair) and some other aerials done ASAP after shielding the dtilt. Whiffs on (most?) rolls, putting you in a fairly bad situation. Vs shielding it grinds down shield health, pokes at the top of shields for easy stabs, and leaves you in a decent position afterwards.

Dash JC grab - Technically loses to an ASAP grab, since you'll have to be dashing into your opponent's range and are at a bit of a frame disadvantage. (In practice it wins vs most character's grabs, though, since Roy's grab range is above average and will be optimally spaced outside of theirs.) Loses to spotdodge, putting you in neutral at best and get you lightly punished at worst. Loses hard to jumping aerials OoS. Loses to roll, leaving you in neutral vs an opponent too far away to actively pressure. Beats shielding clean.

Wait - Beats grab, with possible dtilt punish. Beats spotdodge, with possible dtilt or hard punish fsmash. Loses hard to jumping aerials OoS. Beats roll, with possible dtilt, grab, or fsmash punishers. Goes even with continued shielding.

This may sound pretty daunting for a defending opponent, and thats because it is. Optimal dtilt spacing is where Roy works his magic, and opponents forced to shield a dtilt at that range with their back to the ledge will be in for a rough time. Lets say that you're point blank with your opponent for whatever reason in that situation whenever they shield dtilt...your options become much less safe. Your best options; dtilt again, jab, nair, grab, wait, shield, spotdodge, roll away. Opponent's best options; shield grab, spotdodge, jump OoS, roll, continue shielding.

Dtilt again - Loses to shield grab. Same as above Vs spotdodge; roughly even, though whiffing the dtilt at this distance is a little scarier. Loses to jump OoS, and at this distance most characters will be able to punish you harder. Goes even with roll, same as above. Loses to continued shielding, where your opponent is more likely to correctly time a shield grab to punish you.

Jab - Technically loses to a frame perfect shield grab, but in practice, more often than not, it will beat the grab out. Whiffs vs spotdodge, leaving you in an advantageous position. Beats all but the fastest aerials OoS. Whiffs vs roll, leaving you in a slightly advantageous position. Loses to continued shielding via shield grab punishes.

Nair - Loses to a quick/frame perfect grab. Beats spotdodge with a light punish. Loses to jumping OoS with aerials. Goes even with rolling, same as above. Even with continued shielding, but leaves you in a rather disadvantageous situation unless your drift back outside of shield grab range.

Grab - Loses to grab due to being at a frame disadvantage. Loses to spotdodge, with a punish being more likely. Loses to quick aerials used OoS. Slightly advantageous vs roll. Beats continued shielding.

Wait - Loses to grab. Beats spotdodge, with potential dtilt or fsmash punishes. Loses to jumping aerials OoS. Beats roll with potential dtilt, grab, or fsmash punishes. Slightly advantageous vs continued shielding, as it turns a situation with poor frame advantage to the same situation with equal frame advantage.

Shield - Loses to grab. Beats spotdodge with shield grab punish. Advantaged vs jumping aerials OoS, where you can punish with shield grab at best, and have momentum at worst (with the exception of characters like the space animals who can safely pressure a shield after landing with aerials). Loses to rolling by putting you in a terrible situation where you simultaneously have your back to your opponent in shield and are backed into the corner of the stage. Goes even with an opponent's continued shielding.

Spotdodge - Beats even a frame perfect shield grab. Slightly disadvantageous vs spotdodge due to frame disadvantage. Loses to jumping aerials OoS. Slightly advantageous against roll. Loses to continued shielding.

Roll away - Technically loses to a frame perfect shield grab, but slips away more often than not in practice. Slightly disadvantageous vs spotdodging. Even vs aerials OoS, though is punished by wavedashing OoS. Slightly advantaged vs continued shielding, due to putting more distance between you and your opponent despite still being at a slight frame disadvantage.

As you can see, a lot more options at his distance are unsafe, especially if your opponent has the godlike reflexes necessary to shield grab ASAP on reaction to shielding the first dtilt. If you don't have your opponent backed into the corner of the stage, they also have the option of rolling or wavedashing OoS away ASAP, which nulifies any option besides "wait" (which it is slightly disadvantaged against), but loses to the new "good" options of "chase deep with an early wavedash/run".

(Some of the above options are obviously different depending on the character you're playing against, and there are also options that I've naturally left out, some either because they are highly unsafe/a gimmick (such as throwing hail-mary fsmashes at your opponent whenever they shield a dtilt) or just not very efficient (like poking at your opponent with a rising fair after a well spaced dtilt, which does less damage and is overall less safe than a nair). One of the challenging parts of smash is of course trying to figure out when to use what moves in various situations, though, and you'll no doubt run into opponents trying out options that I haven't listed. Don't take my examination as gospel; explore for yourself and figure out what options are best versus any options you see your opponents take!)

This is all a lot more complicated than Street Fighter's "high/low/throw/block" vs "block high/block low/DP/backdash", obviously, but the theory is the same. Smart pressure can condition your opponents to not pick certain options, and then it becomes much easier to "guess" correctly and pick the option that will beat the one that your opponent chose!

Spoiler: Taytertot quote
Toggle Spoiler

Some of the elements described in the Footsies Handbook are more relevant than others. To analyze one;
Spoiler: Footsies' Handbook Element #1
Toggle Spoiler

This is the entire purpose of dash dancing, in a nutshell. Opponent is sitting in shield? Dash just into their grab/attack range and dash dance back out, see if they'll take the bait and whiff (and then cash in delicious punishment). The same thing goes for dash dancing in neutral, where instead you want to be moving in and out of the range they could threaten if they try to over-extend into your zone. Marth fsmashing you every time you wavedash in for spaced dtilts? Start wavedashing a little shorter/in place to bait the fsmash, and then punish!

The Footsies Handbook is too big for me to sit down and analyze all of the elements, of course, but the main point of reading it is to get your mind into the process of studying and analyzing the effects you can have on your opponents with movement.

Wow thank you so much! truly this is incredibly helpful. I will take all of this into consideration as well as try to find other options and ideas to build a tool set with. I can definitely see this thought process in the way you play which i often use as an example of how to play roy and use his tools so its really helpful to hear the strategy behind you decisions. Again thats not to say that i consider your choices the end-all be-all of roy play but you are the most successful roy player out there so it helps to use your design as a reference so to speak.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Sethlon do you feel that the fire emblem games would present some insight as to how to play fire emblem character in smash bros.?

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Not really, lol. Being strategy games, they don't really offer any insight into a fighting game like Smash. Its interesting to note how some of their attributes carry over, and knowing the flavor can be cool, but there wouldn't be any benefit as far as actual gameplay goes.

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
Very informative - very concise; you did a great job with this one Sethlon. What do you think about b-reverse with Roy? Sometimes when my opponent is on the ledge and I am pressuring them, I will run away for a second, bait the get up with my back turned and immediately do a b-reversed Flare Blade. Usually it is so unexpected that my opponent doesn't have time to DI. What do you think?

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I was wondering if you could go into more detail about how why you don't like FD. You mentioned that you don't like how the lack of platforms limits his movement but that never hurt Marth on that stage and he loves it. We have a similar neutral game but ever stronger juggles than Marth. Which is why I love the stage, one dtilt converts into so much and my opponent got no where to run.

Like, this is my favorite stage vs a character like Dk, when you don't reccomend going there. Only time I use platforms for movement like that, is vs heavy projectile characters. I'm curious if there is something I am missing here.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Very informative - very concise; you did a great job with this one Sethlon. What do you think about b-reverse with Roy? Sometimes when my opponent is on the ledge and I am pressuring them, I will run away for a second, bait the get up with my back turned and immediately do a b-reversed Flare Blade. Usually it is so unexpected that my opponent doesn't have time to DI. What do you think?
Thanks!

B-reverses in general are rather good for Roy. Good for tricky nBs, good for using DED at any point and any direction during dash/run, good for mixing up where you're going to land when coming down from the air.

I was wondering if you could go into more detail about how why you don't like FD. You mentioned that you don't like how the lack of platforms limits his movement but that never hurt Marth on that stage and he loves it. We have a similar neutral game but ever stronger juggles than Marth. Which is why I love the stage, one dtilt converts into so much and my opponent got no where to run.

Like, this is my favorite stage vs a character like Dk, when you don't reccomend going there. Only time I use platforms for movement like that, is vs heavy projectile characters. I'm curious if there is something I am missing here.
Marth's toolkit is better at utilizing FD's lack of platforms, IMO. Most importantly, his tip fair and uptilt. Both can pull opponents up into the air, and both are useful/varying degrees of safe to use in neutral, and both can combo off of stuff like fthrow/upthrow, whereas Roy's main conversion aerials (nair/fair) always push his opponents away and inevitably offstage. (Uair works great here, obviously, but you can't simply convert straight into uair chains from neutral, you have to already be in an advantageous situation.)

Roy dtilt can work the same, ofc, but on a stage as large as FD, its sometimes difficult to pin opponents down to start poking at them with dtilt, and then often you'll be at the ledge, where they can DI offstage to cut the upair juggles down significantly. There's also plenty of airspace for characters to start moving around in the air, if they catch on that you're relying on dtilts in neutral.

Really, it isn't a bad stage for Roy in a vacuum, its just that other characters are better on the stage. DK, for example, can very easily zero to death Roy on the stage with cargo up throw combos, and its quite easy for him to land a grab, vs Roy landing a clean dtilt. Diddy has plenty of room to run around and play a safe projectile game, Sonic can run away and start spin shenanigans, Wario can slide around high in the air where its hard to get at him, Mario can spam fireballs, etc. Its certainly not one of Roy's go-to counterpicks, but not one of his worst stages either...not one I would recommend using one of your counterpicks on, but hey, if its working for you, more power to ya.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Thanks for the response. Made me rethink some over some of my play and expose bad habits. I come from a marth background, which is why I like it, but i'll be sure to further experiment.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Im going to my first PM tourney this saturday and feel that I will most likely be less then a challenge for the majority who attend. In essence Im looking to up my game but im already pretty aware of the tech skills that i need to improve because they are listed all over the place. What im unsure about are many of the mu's for roy and what main issues i should be watching out for whether it be a common mistake that many beginning roy players make in tourneys, common mistakes against specific (and popular) characters to watch out for and what mental tools I can use to quickly break down an opponents playstyle (i.e. are there specific moves or movements that could be useful in order to test my opponents gameplan effectively). I dont expect that there will necessarily be any good answers to any of these questions other then just play a lot with other people but if there are any tips I'd appreciate it.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Sethlon im curious if you might be able to eventually add mu's to the roy guide? Obviously thats a lot of work but i think maybe just the very important mu's (i.e. bad mu's, common mu's, etc.) would be very useful to read up on.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Realistically, its not really feasible. There are 41 viable characters in PM, and if I really wanted to put any information thats more than just a few sentences long, it would take an extremely long time to compile all the stuff I could say on them and gather info on the ones I don't have enough knowledge of. And much of it could likely change for future updates. =/

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
If you have questions on MU's, the best thing to do is probably just head over to the Roy Matchup Thread and chat with us Roy mains over there. We'll do our best to help out.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
If you have questions on MU's, the best thing to do is probably just head over to the Roy Matchup Thread and chat with us Roy mains over there. We'll do our best to help out.
Shoutouts to the Roy Skapy group, if you want to get in add me on Skype at Oddyesy

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Realistically, its not really feasible. There are 41 viable characters in PM, and if I really wanted to put any information thats more than just a few sentences long, it would take an extremely long time to compile all the stuff I could say on them and gather info on the ones I don't have enough knowledge of. And much of it could likely change for future updates. =/
Alright fair enough. I figured that it might take too much time to get through every character, though im curious if the ones that arent likely to change (like fox for instance) would be reasonable, but I guess Binary Clone's suggestion to ask at the MU thread does seem like a more realistic approach to my questions.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Hey sethlon im not sure if you ever do streaming to explain more roy stuff and answer questions over live-chat but if you do or plan to then I'd really like to watch it

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Well from what i understand (now that the sweetspot is much smaller) the best setup up for it is to use dtilt and (assuming they dont DI away from you, which might make it so you wouldnt connect with the sweetspot of dair) jump up to hit them with it. There's also, in some situations, where fair can combo into sweetspot dair but im a bit unsure as to how to set that up as ive only seen it done by sethlon.
If your asking for how to hit it because of the odd position of the sweetspot then the best way ive found is to hit them when they are just above you (though again because the hitbox for the sweetspot is much smaller, you need to be literally touching them with roy) when roy starts the animation im sure youve noticed he faces downward with his back facing up and swings down; if you throw out dair so that roy's back (during the dair animation) is touching them then you should get the spike hitbox.

forbidden12

Smash Cadet
For Roys Fire spike how do you send your opponent at an angled direction instead of straight down?

Taytertot

Smash Ace
i believe that is dependent on their DI and where they are in relation to the sweetspot hitbox when it hits them. there might be more to it then that though.

forbidden12

Smash Cadet
Where would they need to be in the sweetspot hitbox to be sent at an angle or is it pretty much dependent on DI?

Taytertot

Smash Ace
id imagine that theyd need to be closer to the side of the hitbox then being on the upper or lower portion of it, but DI will make a difference regardless. im assuming you want to know because you want to be able to use dair onstage and spike them offstage? Im sure comboing fair into dair (which is a DI dependent combo) would help because they are already being moved in the direction you want them to go. that or if you dtilt them and they DI away a bit late to avoid followups then youve got a good shot at it.

Last edited:

BND

Smash Apprentice
asdf first thing I thought of when I saw the title was hExnRquA67w

Anyways, very nice guide, but no up B section? :(
(Was hoping that there'd be a section that describes how to combo into reverse Up-B, though I guess that's sort of wishful thinking. Can't quite think of anything aside from ph1r3 dair, sweetspotted up air, and maybe a really poorly DIed dthrow.)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Reverse upB stuff is a really niche use that isn't necessary in the slightest to know. Its fun to land and to show off that knowledge, but there isn't any way to combo into it on the characters that it actually kills, only works on a select few stages, has a massive punishment window if you miss, etc

Broccoli

Smash Cadet
Reverse upB stuff is a really niche use that isn't necessary in the slightest to know. Its fun to land and to show off that knowledge, but there isn't any way to combo into it on the characters that it actually kills, only works on a select few stages, has a massive punishment window if you miss, etc
The ultimate rest punish on PS2 and small ceiling stages

Last edited:

Taytertot

Smash Ace
hey sethlon, how should my gameplan be differing between campy characters vs. non-campy characters? There are mu's that i have difficulty with even though they dont have projectiles but that is generally due to my lack of knowledge in the MU, but i feel that i fall victim to campy characters if the player is smart about how they cover my approaches. I feel like i shouldnt be excessively jumping because that'll probably open me up, but i find myself not knowing what to do other than jump over or shield which both feel too easily countered by smart players. How do you approach campy playstyles/characters (as in what is your gameplan going into it and what do you look/watch out for)?

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
The best situation that you can get yourself into if someone is playing defensively is setting up the optimal spacing for dtilt (see previous discussion on all the different options you have vs an opponent who shields a well spaced dtilt while pushed to the edge of the stage). Obviously, though, thats not something that your opponent is just going to let you set up without contesting that space.

In general, Roy shouldn't be raw approaching from the air. His aerials aren't all that impressive on shield, don't combo that well, and get blown up by CC. Clean Roy play will have him using his aerials instead to control space and counterpoke his opponents whenever they're trying to move around or set up positioning, eventually boxing your opponent in so that they can't move and you can set up proper shield pressure and jc grabs.

If you're looking to raw approach and invade your opponent's space, Roy does this best on the ground. A simple run in -> crouch -> dtilt is a great way to poke into their space safely while still leaving you in the position to CC if they counterpoke. Wavedash in -> dtilt is also good, and ftilt will reach further (for a deeper poke with lower reward).

But generally, if your opponent is playing campy and/or safe, unless you can get a read on dash dance movement for a deep run -> wavedash dtilt, you should be playing patiently. Don't rush in with aerials and get yourself bopped. If you're keen on approaching, move forward slowly with wavedashes in...from there you can full CC and dtilt any weak pokes, shield if you're getting too high % and then look to wavedash OoS in deeper to pin them down, etc. Alternately, you can play a bit more passive yourself, and simply dash dance at a safe distance and look for an opportune moment to run in with crouch dtilts (which is a strategy that Lunchables employs alot).

D

Deleted member

Alternately, you can play a bit more passive yourself, and simply dash dance at a safe distance and look for an opportune moment to run in with crouch dtilts (which is a strategy that Lunchables employs alot).
I think patient DD into D tilt heavy roy is best roy

Its kind of lame but I don't know how to be as read heavy as sethlon. I usually just whiff and then sethlon looks x10000 better than me

Top Bottom