• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing to win vs. playing to entertain

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
So like I'm into playing the shroom bros. right now and I'm improving slowly but surely, but there will probably be a limit to how far I can go with them.

Anyway this thread isn't about character selection. It is rather about playing habits. Do you need to be 'competitive' to win competitive matches?

AirFair

Marth tho
Do you need to be competitive to win in a competitive match? Yes. You have to be. Unless your opponent is not very good. Style on em. But try and teach them too.

Yea you have to be competitive.

Gillmatic

Multifaceted Lacerator
I play to entertain myself lol. It's about like seeing what I can do, if that makes any sense. How well I understand what I'm doing, and how well I am able to anticipate what my opponent will want to be doing. Or something like that...

Hornager

Smash Rookie
Play to entertain yourself and learn as much as possible. Competition will only help you once you have the methods and techniques down to learn specific matchups.

ElCancell

Smash Rookie
Being a sheik main i find it incredibly hard to play to entertain (try though I might) my only choice is to play to win. And though people might not like you or respect you for it, when you beat that stylish falcon with your tech chasing sheik it sure does feel good. To me I have the most fun when I win.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
I like to do what is necessary to win I suppose, but if given the opportunity to end it or end it stylishly (with close chance of both options working)... style on em!

I think I just enjoy the game as it is. You can do whatever you want and even more if you have the skill

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Being a sheik main i find it incredibly hard to play to entertain (try though I might) my only choice is to play to win. And though people might not like you or respect you for it, when you beat that stylish falcon with your tech chasing sheik it sure does feel good. To me I have the most fun when I win.
Coming from the other side of this MU (being a stylish Falcon), it feels good to win the 30-70 and defeat the dirty tricks of a Sheik. If you aren't having fun with Melee, I would honestly look to switching mains; I wouldn't want to play a game that brings me no enjoyment.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Do what you enjoy the most. The best part is that good play is very often entertaining as well. Some stuff you need to do to do well just looks super awesome. Just play how you want and enjoy it. Melee is fun.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I play to entertain because that how I get the most enjoyment out of the game and also become more skilled.

If I just went "try-hard" the entire time, I'd grow sick and frustrated with the game very quickly.

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
I personally feel like just playing the game either way makes you better because you have more gameplay

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Playing the game in general makes you better, but it doesn't help nearly as much as playing in tournament and trying your hardest to win. More experience = more skill, but the experience gained from serious play is much different from friendlies.

I don't personally play to win, which should be obvious by my main. But I do try my hardest, and I have a much better time doing that. Winning feels good and is just plain satisfying, there's no denying it. It isn't all I aim for, but I do aim to do my best and have as much fun as possible.

Last edited:

Blarg

Smash Rookie
It has to be both for me. I like to win, but not at the cost of my preferred playstyle. Not going to stall or camp. If I can't win with offense, combos or style that just means I need to practice more.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Always play to win. Playing to entertain is an euphemism for "I'm gonna lose but at least I'll look kinda good".

Last edited:

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I play to entertain, but that's because I only have two friends near me who are super into Melee, and I've been playing against them for a while now. When we fight each other it's pretty much whoever can collect the most style points.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Why not be like aMSa and have fun while playing to win?

Dude's the most entertaining thing in Smash right now.

Thor

Smash Champion
Always play to win. Playing to entertain is an euphemism for "I'm gonna lose but at least I'll look kinda good".
It's only a euphemism if you know you aren't vastly better than the opponent.

I've definitely styled on newer players going for sacred combos, and still winning. There was like 6 of us, so I played to entertain, but at the end of the day, I made sure Falcon [not my main] was always on the victory screen.

I go full try-hard in tournaments though. Unless it's been made clear to me that my opponent is someone bad enough I can try to do stupid stuff and still win [and usually I secure the lead first, then style, not the other way around, and I also usually secure not just a stock lead, but a game lead (so I play game 1 seriously, then play the first half of game 2 seriously, then see if I can't get footage worthy of being in a random combo video somewhere) and also if I fall behind, I go back to serious mode to secure a 2-0].

Top Bottom