• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Styles of Pros

greenblob

Smash Lord
The purpose of this thread is twofold.

First, in a time when professionals and intermediates have the same moves and the same tricks up their sleeves, what makes a pro a pro? There has to be a deeper explanation than "mindgames." What are some of the subtleties that exist at the pro level?

The second part is to discuss the different playing styles of professional players. What are some of the differences between Ken, M2K, Husband, and Azen's Marths? Could you tell who's playing the Fox or Sheik by playing style alone? Why is it that Ken just can't beat KoreanDJ? What makes The King and Isai such awesome doubles players?

Anyway, here are some of the analyses that I've begun:

Azen--He's known as the 26-character wonder. But I remember reading in some article or interview that Azen doesn't really vary his style all that much with each character. Once you know his Marth, you know his DK, Falcon, Peach, and Luigi. He's also known for being even-headed--he doesn't crumble under pressure, so he's very good in crew matches and makes amazing comebacks.

Ken--He's Mr. Perfect DI. He also ledge-techs with Marth like a crazy person but for some reason can't sweetspot.

Mew2King--The original King of Techs, other players, such as Phanna and DaShizWiz are now also in the running for the title. Nowadays highly technical players are popping out everywhere. What makes M2K different/special?

DaShizWiz--Probably the most aggressive Falco I've ever seen, he's known for being very good at fighting Space Animals, especially other Falcos. At FC6, he gave PC Chris a run for his money and a year later at FCD, he destroyed PC at crews. My guess is that Falco is naturally a very offense-oriented character and DSW just takes that to the extreme, continuously keeping his opponents on the defensive. If your specialty is also offense, you really stand no chance. It also explains why Forward is one of the few Falcos to be able to beat him--Forward plays a very defensive Falco, creating an impermeable wall with his lasers. DSW can't do his usual offensive charges when lasers are constantly blocking him.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
isai's falcon is still by far my favorite old school pro play style. it is a "i-know-i-can-win-so-i-will-do-it-in-the-craziest-way-possible" falcon.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I actually know the REAL Mr. DI. He taught me how to take a Marth tipper and end up tech-rolling BEHIND the Marth on FD.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
im sorry but honestly you have no idea what you're talking about, you're just basing off videos

another thing, in marth dittos you cant sweet spot another marths up B if they F smash you. the only way u can sweet spot is if you get lucky with the hitboxes, which on F smash is 2 or 3 ovals, and if your hand, in a perfect sweet spot, gets in between those ovals, then you will sweets spot

in other words, if both players are perfect, you basically need not just skill, but also luck in order to get the sweet spot

sheiks fair also easily hits a perfect marth up B sweet spot

peachs fair can do it too, but its harder to do consistently than sheiks

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
*takes notes*

It's just superior experience and knowledge that separates pros from intermediate players.

greenblob

Smash Lord
im sorry but honestly you have no idea what you're talking about, you're just basing off videos

another thing, in marth dittos you cant sweet spot another marths up B if they F smash you. the only way u can sweet spot is if you get lucky with the hitboxes, which on F smash is 2 or 3 ovals, and if your hand, in a perfect sweet spot, gets in between those ovals, then you will sweets spot

in other words, if both players are perfect, you basically need not just skill, but also luck in order to get the sweet spot

sheiks fair also easily hits a perfect marth up B sweet spot

peachs fair can do it too, but its harder to do consistently than sheiks
Yes, I realize that I don't have a clue of what I'm talking about, which is why I made this thread in the first place (too bad it pretty much died an early death...). The "analyses" are just some of my observations and stuff I've heard from other people. Thanks for your insights/clarifications. If you or anyone else has something to add, that would be appreciated, as I'm genuinely curious about this.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
I play a lot of smash and consider myself a pro. Im not well known as i havent made my way to any tournaments because of my remote location. The thing that separates pros from intermediates is that an intermediate player cant anticipate. A pro player can see what will go down before it happens and know what to do. A pro player is perfectly synched with his main character, he knows the exact timing for roll + dodge. He can tech without fail. The difference in the end is how much better a pro is consistently compared to an intermediate player. An intermediate player will be able to anticipate once in awhile and be able to tech and all that good stuff, but for a pro all that is second nature, its like breathing. An intermediate will only become pro when they can do the pro moves on a regular basis without choking. And to be honest, mindgames play a very minor roll. If your a good smasher, mindgames wont even phase you. My advice to all intermediate smashers trying to go pro would be this. Dont worry about mindgames to try and win you a battle, focus on getting good at the advanced techniques of the game, and use mindgames only when you want to add insult to injury. And dont tell me that i dont know what im talking about because im a smash child, i have been playing this game since it came out, i know what its all about.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
I play a lot of smash and consider myself a pro. Im not well known as i havent made my way to any tournaments because of my remote location. The thing that separates pros from intermediates is that an intermediate player cant anticipate. A pro player can see what will go down before it happens and know what to do. A pro player is perfectly synched with his main character, he knows the exact timing for roll + dodge. He can tech without fail. The difference in the end is how much better a pro is consistently compared to an intermediate player. An intermediate player will be able to anticipate once in awhile and be able to tech and all that good stuff, but for a pro all that is second nature, its like breathing. An intermediate will only become pro when they can do the pro moves on a regular basis without choking. And to be honest, mindgames play a very minor roll. If your a good smasher, mindgames wont even phase you. My advice to all intermediate smashers trying to go pro would be this. Dont worry about mindgames to try and win you a battle, focus on getting good at the advanced techniques of the game, and use mindgames only when you want to add insult to injury. And dont tell me that i dont know what im talking about because im a smash child, i have been playing this game since it came out, i know what its all about.

Uhh...>_>; Going to tournaments/winning/placing very well in tournaments is just about the definiton of being pro at smash. Soo, it's pretty much impossible to be considered a pro without doing such things.

And also, your concept of what mindgames mean needs some serious revision lol. just sayin'.

Sorry to say, but yeah, you don't know what you're talking about lol.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
rofl@ this guy, another one of those "I think I'm a pro" noob, you have no idea what you're talking about so don't define the difference between a pro and an intermediate player.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
You, sir, are ****ing stupid. "A pro player is perfectly synched with his main character"?

You sound like an idiot trying to sound smart. Also, another thing that shows that you don't know what the hell you're talking about is that you said that you're a Smash child. No one GIVES A **** what your SmashBoards ranking is. Also, even most mediocre players can do about every advanced technique in this game. What the **** are you on? Seriously. Any player that's even relatively NEAR intermediate does not really need to get focused on getting good at the advanced techniques of the game. They should have them down-packed already more or less, except maybe some of the more advanced things that DON'T MAKE YOU PRO just because you can do them. I've been looking through your posts, and you obviously think you're the **** just because you can own your scrubby friends that probably don't even use advanced techniques.

By the way, if no one knows who you are, you're not pro. As Ka-master said, being pro means going to tournaments and placing well in them. If you went there and placed well in them, people would know you. Seriously, are you like, the only player in the 50-mile radius of your home that knows what wavedashing is, and you simply think you're the **** just because you can beat your friends that don't even take this game seriously?

Gtfo the boards, noob, and lurk the hell moar.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Hay Koskinator, How Does I Wavedash? Yoar A Pro, So You Should Know.

What Is An Shuffle? Is That When You Mash Your Control Stick Left And Right To Shuffle The Direction That You Run In?

You're Uber Technical And Advanced, Amirite?

Sandwich

Smash Ace
ROFLROFLROFL.
Well, I dunno man.
Other than...Screencap?

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
Why is it that Ken just can't beat KoreanDJ? What makes The King and Isai such awesome doubles players?

Anyway, here are some of the analyses that I've begun:

Azen--He's known as the 26-character wonder. But I remember reading in some article or interview that Azen doesn't really vary his style all that much with each character. Once you know his Marth, you know his DK, Falcon, Peach, and Luigi. He's also known for being even-headed--he doesn't crumble under pressure, so he's very good in crew matches and makes amazing comebacks.

Ken--He's Mr. Perfect DI. He also ledge-techs with Marth like a crazy person but for some reason can't sweetspot.

Mew2King--The original King of Techs, other players, such as Phanna and DaShizWiz are now also in the running for the title. Nowadays highly technical players are popping out everywhere. What makes M2K different/special?

DaShizWiz--Probably the most aggressive Falco I've ever seen, he's known for being very good at fighting Space Animals, especially other Falcos. At FC6, he gave PC Chris a run for his money and a year later at FCD, he destroyed PC at crews. My guess is that Falco is naturally a very offense-oriented character and DSW just takes that to the extreme, continuously keeping his opponents on the defensive. If your specialty is also offense, you really stand no chance. It also explains why Forward is one of the few Falcos to be able to beat him--Forward plays a very defensive Falco, creating an impermeable wall with his lasers. DSW can't do his usual offensive charges when lasers are constantly blocking him.
After writing this, you will never be respected in this community. Ever. If people even care to remember your name, that is.

Oh yeah, you too Koskinator.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
LOL, NO JOHNS for not being able to go to tournies. you are not pro. /gg

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
Stealing Many Burritos and Miscellaneous Beverages
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL LMFAOOOO!!

greenblob

Smash Lord
After writing this, you will never be respected in this community. Ever. If people even care to remember your name, that is.

Oh yeah, you too Koskinator.
Really? I didn't mean to offend anyone--I'm just repeating what I've heard here and there.

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
Stealing Many Burritos and Miscellaneous Beverages
I would like to answer the thread question.

There are a lot of things that seperate pro players fom intermidiate ones. How smart of a player you are and how well you can read players and their bad habits as well as your own is one of the bigest factors. It is important to analyze your own bad habits in order to punish others for theirs and get rid of your own. Anticipating their reaction to your actions is vital. (i.e. your C. Falcon and you d-throw a fox close to the edge of the stage, if the player has not yet analyzed his own bad habits like I said, the fox will tech roll into the stage because of instinct. This is an obvious example though.)

Your tech skill, how effectively you can combo opponents (includes how to properly chase your opponents DI inorder to string combos together) and use certain techniques of difficult or easy execution to give your self the competitive edge in the match. Getting low percentage kills whenever possible and knowing exact percentages when to do so is another factor. Playing "cheap" is playing well. Your styles of play, whether your very aggro, reactant, campy, all matter. And mindgames can either make you or break you in a match, and isn't nessesarily the same thing as how smart you play, you might call it how tricky or manipulative you play? Idk you get what I'm trying to say. lol.

I hope I answered your question.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
lol, it's pretty simple. Pro players are better than intermediate players, who are in turn better than novices (like me) who are better than closet players, who are better than noobs. Case closed.

Balloon

Smash Lord
M2K is purely left brained.

Some other players are very right brained.

Those are the differences.

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
wow m2k really gave it to green ..but hes right ...

MANGO GREATEST SSBM PLAYER

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
u guyz r so mean to these people ...
take it e z ... greeen why are u sorry 4 offending people ?

fak these kids theyre f@ckin F@agitz

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
MANGOOOOOOO

i changed my mind

the best play style in smash is to

hold your shield

and then when the other person dash attacks u

REST!!!!!!

and u have to spam a lot and type posts like this

and spel things wron sometimes

D&S

Smash Rookie
Mew2King has spoken.
somebody needs to help me tech better, because i dont play with ppl who di it alot.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
First, in a time when professionals and intermediates have the same moves and the same tricks up their sleeves, what makes a pro a pro? There has to be a deeper explanation than "mindgames." What are some of the subtleties that exist at the pro level?
Pros have a lot more experience. Knowledge of what to do and when to do it, and what the opponent will most likely try to do.

I play a lot of smash and consider myself a pro.
I stopped reading here.

Erik McLennan

Smash Cadet
...?

Why is everyone here such an ******* to people who are willing to go out on a limb and give their opinions? It's like everyone sits around, not talking, because they've got nothing intelligent to say, and as soon as one person pipes up, and actually tries to get some discussion going, everyone ****ing pounces on them. Good job guys, you're doing about as good of a job as schoolyard bullies.

Top Bottom