• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Ike Defensively

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Jump backwards while employing FAir to keep your distance. This is good for opponents trying to approach you to get within melee range.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Although what is stated above is bad against projectiles. Use the mentioned above for melee characters/puny ranged characters, and mix in some spot and air dodging against projectile users.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Focus on your spacing and resort on moves that cancel early (Fair,Nair,Bair, 1°Jab) use tilts with the same caution on spacing, and employ them preferentially out of cancelled jab sequences. Be careful though, if you play too defensively, your opponent may push you to the edge of the stage, were your recovery will fail to save you if worst comes to worst.

EDIT: SHFF down B doesn't work frequently.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Although what is stated above is bad against projectiles. Use the mentioned above for melee characters/puny ranged characters, and mix in some spot and air dodging against projectile users.
Thanks for mentioning that. ;D

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Playing ike defensively = walls and spacing, whiffed nairs unless they run into it, retreating fairs and bairs, shield grabs, jab walls. It's honestly not much different than the stuff you normally do, just where you do it.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Mind Games.

They play a huge part here. Approach like half way, and let them walk into your fairs and nairs grabs and jabs. Keep away pretty much. It works for Ike so Wahoo!

Hope it helped

metroid1117

Smash Master
Gimpyfish pointed out earlier that RAR FAirs can add to your defensive repertoire.

Defensive Ike is pretty much what Rykoshet said; use retreating FAirs/BAirs to cover yourself. If your opponent tries to punish you during your landing lag, you can use UTilt/FTilt during the IASA frames to give them a nasty surprise.

Wanderer7

Smash Rookie
give me all the data you guys have on Ike's counter. its because i've been playing boss battles a lot recently, trying to improve my blocking/sheilding, dodging, and countering skills.
oh yeah counter is a beast against Galleom and Petey.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
... what data do you need that isnt already abundantly clear? It works on frame 10, it does 1.2x the damage that comes in undiminished and yes, it can diminish.

Reaperman64

Smash Apprentice
Congrats to wanderer for thee most off topic post
im a very bad defensive player, if im not keeping the pressure on i tend to go down hard.
also people hate aproaching ike, one wrong move and theyre in fsmash o' doom.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Playing ike defensively = walls and spacing, whiffed nairs unless they run into it, retreating fairs and bairs, shield grabs, jab walls. It's honestly not much different than the stuff you normally do, just where you do it.
I understand everything but the retreating B-Air. I don't understand how that would work unless is is a 3 or 4 person FFA or Team Battle.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
You don't understand how an autocanceled aerial that comes out on frame 7 would be used for the purposes of playing defensively?

D

Deleted member

SH non-FF retreating nairs can hit the shield without fear of retaliation while also catching roll dodgers that go under you and can lead to a nair bair combo. if they rush in after blocking nair instead, you can FF midway through and still have plenty of time to react to any of the given situations.

Don't try this on DDD or Olimar though.

Top Bottom