• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing against Doc.

Marmalade

Smash Cadet
my friend does the same thing i don't know what to do agins't the cape but the aproch i just do mind game to mess him up and then get in with the grab then dthrow run forward a little and grab agin he cant get out he bounces just right, and then around 60% ^throw to knee

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Raptor boost through pills if you're close up... otherwise you can use nairs to disrupt the pills and run in. uair juggle to an easy knee once you get at him.

audreyh

Smash Ace
when recovering, try to mix it up, but the majority of the time its much safer to come in as high as possible.

Out space doc with nairs, he doesn't have range.

Uthrow to fulljump uair uair at lower percents. he's a combo kid.

Blackreighn_zero

Smash Journeyman
i'll just know what repaditfily what he does and predict his next move and dodge at the right time and then go all out......

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Yeah and just remember you ARE captain falcon, with the fastest dash/run in the game, and the pills are quite slow in comparison to some other projectiles (lazers). So remember, you can utilize your speed to just run in sometimes, get in his plizace and mess up his fizace.

falcosmassacre01

Smash Journeyman
I have a hard time with my friends doctor mario. he has a lot of ways to gimp my recovery (Bairs, capes) and can stop my approach with pillspam.
What should I be doing?
wen he bairs try to sneak in a knee b4 he does his first bair wen he tries to cape u do a backwards up b(ull magnet the stage even if ur not caped) and pillspam either jump over them or neutral air thorugh them or waveshield.

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
those attacks are all ground attacks so i'd try to use an airial approach. you could falcon kik him from the air or fake him out by dash-dancing

technomancer

Smash Champion
About 2/10 of these posts are useful :(

Doctor Mario is a tough little *******.

Rule #1 is DI. If you can DI the forward smash, downsmash or throw that knocked you off upward or up and towards the stage, and then DI a b-air up, you should have no trouble recovering. In addition, you should pretty much always fake high and drop back, or just go high, because Doc can generally get you with any number of moves if you try to sweetspot. If you can't make it high, then of course sweetspot, but make sure to keep throwing in the mindgames, and DI if he Bairs you.

Rule #2 is knee > Pill. If you sense he's going to launch a grounded pill, just knee or stomp; the pill animation is almost a full second, more than enough time to SHFFL. Best case scenario, you knee doc and continue from there. Worst case scenario, you eat a pill.

Against Pillspam, you can time your nairs pretty easily to eat them, but you'll find yourself pressured. Instead, if you can nair a pill but you fear Doc will chase it, either run away and jump over it (preferably to a platform), or forward-b under it.

Other than that it's a pretty standard matchup, though it's hard to chain nairs on Doc, just cuz his physics are weird and his sex kick is fast, so stick with uair combos (props to ManaLord).

A note on movement. Dashdancing is just a license for him to launch pills. Don't bother. Keep stationary but chase those sweet positioning spots (the spot is just out of range of a dashing SHFFL'd Uair, so you'd get a shield-grab if he tries to forward air) with your wavedash, and take advantage of his lag from there. If he comes fast you can generally just quickly dash back and space a bair to tip him and he won't be able to counter (make sure to L-cancel and book it).

SuperRad

Smash Master
About 2/10 of these posts are useful :(

Doctor Mario is a tough little *******.

Rule #1 is DI. If you can DI the forward smash, downsmash or throw that knocked you off upward or up and towards the stage, and then DI a b-air up, you should have no trouble recovering. In addition, you should pretty much always fake high and drop back, or just go high, because Doc can generally get you with any number of moves if you try to sweetspot. If you can't make it high, then of course sweetspot, but make sure to keep throwing in the mindgames, and DI if he Bairs you.

Rule #2 is knee > Pill. If you sense he's going to launch a grounded pill, just knee or stomp; the pill animation is almost a full second, more than enough time to SHFFL. Best case scenario, you knee doc and continue from there. Worst case scenario, you eat a pill.

Against Pillspam, you can time your nairs pretty easily to eat them, but you'll find yourself pressured. Instead, if you can nair a pill but you fear Doc will chase it, either run away and jump over it (preferably to a platform), or forward-b under it.

Other than that it's a pretty standard matchup, though it's hard to chain nairs on Doc, just cuz his physics are weird and his sex kick is fast, so stick with uair combos (props to ManaLord).

A note on movement. Dashdancing is just a license for him to launch pills. Don't bother. Keep stationary but chase those sweet positioning spots (the spot is just out of range of a dashing SHFFL'd Uair, so you'd get a shield-grab if he tries to forward air) with your wavedash, and take advantage of his lag from there. If he comes fast you can generally just quickly dash back and space a bair to tip him and he won't be able to counter (make sure to L-cancel and book it).
Thanks so much!

As soon as I read #1 I knew that I had a lot to work on :( My DI is still not very good (I'm not in the habit of DIing moves).

Thanks again.

Metà

Smash Master
I don't have any trouble with Doc. The pills can be out-prioritized by jabs and n-airs, and he gets throw + knee combos left and right. On top of that, Doc is fairly simple to edge-guard, and meteor smashes are a cynch. The things that piss me off the most about facing Doc are: chainthrowing, cape edge-guarding, and b-airs (too good for edge-guarding!). This is not a hard match for CF. Or maybe it's just me. :)

VengeanceFlame

Smash Rookie
those are all semi-useful, but some doc players are extremely resiliant, learning these strategys and countering them, but i still think switching things up a bit helps a lot

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Actually I find dash dancing and pulse walking very useful for getting Doc. Here's a very old vid of me, back when I sucked (more than now :( ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj6Yf3w8Cx8

Notice I fake him out a lot with pulse walks and get lots of grabs in. I know I made tons of mistakes in this video, please don't critique my playstyle because the vid's 5 months old. But maybe you can learn some things from it. (Like Uair after throws hits more often than Nairs :p).

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Got some questions on facing a doc. My friend is picking up doc and I just have certain areas which I have questions on.

First off he likes to pill rush so my strat for that was to time the nair so the first hits the pill and the second hits him as he's following up or bair depending on his damage. It's working so far but are those all my options?

Second what are my options from throws as of now do uthrow to full jump double uair at low percents and dthrow to knee at high, but that's about it.

Third how do I edgeguard doc. Due to his "god hands" I'm having trouble keeping him off. So he ends up living to mid 100's unless I get dthrow to knee. When I jump out to intercept he either pills or capes. The cape isn't to hard to get around I just jump at him forwards and do a bair when he capes spinning me and hitting him. But the problems for me is pills any tips?

Also any general Doc tips would be nice as well.

Top Bottom