• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Players too serious on Wi-Fi.

Jamaz

Smash Rookie
I'll get some people on SWF and sometimes, when they get a good kill on me, I drop back down and give them a complimentary taunt where they IMMEDIATELY start dashing towards me and use a power move. This is somewhere along the lines of "Nice kill" or "Oh snap".

Worse yet, I will get a phone call and do a brb/phone/lag taunt and they see it as an opening to murder me the rest of the match. When I get people like this, I know it's definitely someone I'm never playing again. Anyone else deal with these types of people?

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Meh, its a game with little kids so what did you expect =p. I'm annoyed at my newbie friend who kills me and uses vulgar taunts at me -.-;; wow bud that makes you so cool XD.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'll get some people on SWF and sometimes, when they get a good kill on me, I drop back down and give them a complimentary taunt where they IMMEDIATELY start dashing towards me and use a power move. This is somewhere along the lines of "Nice kill" or "Oh snap".

Worse yet, I will get a phone call and do a brb/phone/lag taunt and they see it as an opening to murder me the rest of the match. When I get people like this, I know it's definitely someone I'm never playing again. Anyone else deal with these types of people?
You don't taunt and play the game so you don't waste someone's time.

yoda55

Smash Cadet
Imagine if wii had voice chat like xbox live then that'll be chaotic.

Edds

Smash Ace
havnt met anyone who has an offensive taunt. but taunts are suppose to make your bloodboil.

Insomniac487

Smash Cadet
Don't taunt, cause they'll always be people who will attack even though your trying to say "nice" or "good job".

Also about the "brb/phone/lag taunt" thing. There really isn't a need to BRB, things can hold off. If it's the phone, let it ring and miss the call (unless really important). You can always call them back after the match. If its the bathroom, you can hold it (most likely). If it's the door, forfeit the match or simply don't move. Your opponent will probably think something important came up. no big deal. You can always rematch. hope that helps

Now what i really hate about some wifi online players are the cocky / conceited / big ego'ed ones, who get a stock off you and taunt with words such as "You jus got owned!" "Pwnaged!" "2 ez""Getouttahere", things like that. a LOT of these people come from the gamefaqs smash online boards..... thats why i find myself not using that board as often anymore cause tons of 10-15 year olds who think they're tough sh*t, are on there

atleast here, or on gametrailers, or SRK boards.... people are either a bit older, or more mature. and the conceited / big ego'd / cocky players make up a very very small percentage

Best101

Smash Ace
Stop being babies, why does it matter he or she KOs you and taunts you with "You suck" or "Loser!" Just taunt back with whatever you have, words shouldn't hurt you that much. Also you have to realize that a lot of people here don't play casually and likes to play competitive and win at all costs. When you taunt it is just another opening for attack for him/her. Welcome to online gaming with chatting.

I don't play like that and I usually try to play how you play, so don't think I'm like that even though there's nothing wrong with it.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Maybe they knee'd you only then to realize you complimented them on your previous knee?

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
meh, yea some people only care to win, I jsut leave. I personalyl let them be if they need the phone aisde from maybe anooying their character.

Yukiteru

Smash Rookie
I've never had anyone give me a "brb/on the phone" taunt, but I that seems pretty inconsiderate considering you're wasting someone else's time.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
I'm one of those people who would do that. I'm not trying to show off moves, I'm trying to win. If you're gullible enough to make a taunt complimenting the opponent, who just killed you, then you deserve whatever punishment you get from using it.

As for the phone, or answering the door, go ahead and do it. You might forfeit the match, but you could always pwn them next round.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
I'm pretty sure you're friends are just @sses lol :) I have friends who love to taunt for fun after getting killed or killing someone and we never hit eachother til ready to fight again.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
If you were taunting while you were right in front of me, I would attack you. It's your fault for doing that. If you were leaving to do a chore, I would wait to come back but other people won't think like that and want to finish up the match. Of course, the people I fight with don't do that since they'll know whether or not I'm not there. I even had a taunt that said "My mom's calling me" to let them know just in case.

GraveNeedle

Smash Cadet
New York. I really need to train. ;_; AIM: Toonika
It really depends on who you're fighting. If you plan on leaving for no more then a minute against an understanding player, then I don't see why a "BRB" taunt can't hurt. I use one myself. I try not to use it very often, but I'll use it if I have to.

On the other hand, I also see Kayzee's point. If you're fighting a match to win, they have every right to beat the crap out of you, whether you're there or not.

KOdEx

Smash Cadet
I take online play seriously for the most part because that's all I have. I try not to be an *** about it, but if you taunt me and I come down and smack you that's not my fault, you most likely wouldn't do a taunt if we were playing next to each other save it until you take my last stock. If I see you not moving or anything, common sense tells me you're not at your wii and I'll start jumping on your head. I won't attack you or anything for a while, I play timed stock 8 min if you're not back in 5 I'll kill you I think thats fair.

studgangsta

Smash Cadet
dude tell me about it, when i kick their tush all they can come up with is lame a$$ excuses. And when they beat me al they do is talk a load of crap. I mean sometimes i am in the mood for a serious match and sometimes i just want to play for fun. We need to find people for each category I say

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
I hate how like everyone I play camps. They'll just pick FD over and over and play toon link or pit and run from side to side and just use projecties the whole match.

S2

Smash Lord
If your fighting people through SWF, then of course people are going to take matches seriously.

This is a board dedicated to high level play and helping aspiring players get to high level play. The simple fact that your fighting someone on this board almost implies that they are going to take the match seriously.

Also, how is an opponent supposed to know whether your taunting him or trying to get him to read the message in taunt. For all he knows, you wanted to taunt.

Besides, I agree with Overswarm that if your stopping online matches to talk on the phone and such then your basically wasting the other players time.

Mike87

Smash Ace
Well you're fighting someone from this site where a lot of people are competitive so you should expect them to take it seriously.

Condor

Smash Cadet
Worse yet, I will get a phone call and do a brb/phone/lag taunt and they see it as an opening to murder me the rest of the match.
lol, a brb/phone/lag taunt? what?! well was the phone call worth it? lol. i am sorry to break it to ya man but u are the one taking it too serious online. And btw online play sucks.... if u want real matches stay away from online, oh and another tip, don't taunt

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
lol @ the amount of BAWWWWWing in this thread. If you are joining my game, you're playing on my time, and you decide to taunt me, guess what? I'll do whatever I want to, since it doesn't say I have to let you taunt. So, I'll probably hit you away from me, and taunt you back, or I might just kill you, then taunt. Who cares?

It's a god**** game people, there is nothing at stake in a friendly online match, so it doesn't matter if you win or lose. Jesus, give all this whining a rest, it's really not that serious.

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
Mm as stated before im sure..don't waste people's time..this isn't playing with your friends..else uhh yah they wouldn't do that? haha [i hope] people don't wanna wait around for someone they don't know ..perhaps even if they DO know you haha

*edit* NO JOHNS >:O

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
No offense, but taunts are really meant to be used for compliments. That's why they're called taunts. If I just killed you, and you come back and taunt, I have an opening to punish you for purposely leaving yourself open. Didn't taunts in Melee make the computer slightly more aggresive? I think it made them come at you faster... You're doing the same thing because when taunting after coming back, most people will think you're saying "you got me once, but you can't get me again! Ha!", sort of like a 'catch me if you can!' type of thing. I understand wanting to be nice and compliment them on their kill, but save for after the match because the battlefield just isn't the place.

As for the 'brb/phone call' deal, yea it's not cool to attack you like that. You can't defend yourself and it's not your fault, you even gave them the reason, and they still choose to attack the 'standby-player'. It's not playing too serious, it's more like being obnoxious (sp?).

pneuma14

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I got a player once who didn't do anything at the start of the match, so I didn't attack him because I figured his wavebird batteries had died or something. Then he IM'ed me out of the blue (saying "hi - lol"), and when I looked over at my computer he started beating the crap out of me. (This guy was also fond of spamming his "YOU SUCK!" taunt.) It's easy to deal with people like that, though - you just have to be civil. And that's what I did. I knew this guy was trying to get a rise out of me, but I just said "good game" in the IM and complimented him on his playing. After that, he actually changed his tune and was very sportsmanlike and civil for the rest of the match.

Swil

Smash Apprentice
Meh its just a game. I have killed some people while taunting, but I don't really care. I just want to play, not sit around and watch those ugly bubbles filled with letters in an unappealing font float over their head. I personally haven't set any of those taunt comments up, because I think they just ruin the essence of the character's taunts, and because of the reason that I mentioned above. It's not like your life is on the line and you can rematch, so there isn't much to care about.

Repulse X

Smash Apprentice

I hope you realize that one of the main parts of a taunt is that its showing your opponent that you cant attack them but they can attack you, even if they sometimes arent in a position to do that....reguardless of what you say in the taunt you should be ready to take a smash to the mouth for taunting anyway

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well personally I'm pretty aggressive as I will attack people out of a taunt in most cases, but if my opponent just stop dead in his tracks I will leave him alone.

This of course feels really odd to me as usually I hit my opponent a few times before noticing this and force myself to back off

Edit: Once in a while I'll get a call while I smash online so I just run and tether off the side of the stage, it's about the safest place to be and should give you enough time to tell the person who called you to go away.

^-^ When I fight really poor people I usually talk on the phone while fighting them.

Palke

Smash Rookie
People too serious on Wifi?

I've never experienced that. And I don't think I'm one of those serious types, either.

I usually have opponents that are pretty cool. There was only one time where this guy got mad I killed him, so in the next round he hunted me. But I think he had a pride issue anyways.

As for taunting, have any of you actually read what it means...

"A taunt is a sarcastic remark, challenge, or insult intended to provoke a response of some kind from the one it is directed at. It can be compared to fighting words and trash-talk."

If I kill you and you decide to drop down and taunt, I'm NOT going to be taking it as a compliment. I'm going to think that your trying to be a total jerk and suggest that I can't do that same thing again. I don't think I'm the only one who does this either.

As for the "BRB" taunt, that's kind of stupid. If it is something THAT important, than being pwned in a battle should be the least of your concern. Either answer the door/phone/bladder during the game and face the consequences, or just wait until after the battle to do it.

Having said that, I was playing Team Battle today and I was just goofing around and decided to completely throw the match. Not sure who my partner was, but I felt bad for him, as I continually dropped down all the way off the stage, and kept repeating that. What surprised me was that my partner, after seeing me do this about two times, decided to actually JOIN me in falling off the stage, continually committing Brawl suicide. My partner (who was playing as Sonic) even went as far as to hit someone on the Red team, and then run away and commit. It made for a pretty good laugh. And the Red Team just started squatting or taunting.

It's fun to do silly things like that, and I was lucky I didn't have such a "serious" partner. When he joined me, my friend and I were almost on the ground laughing. Guess you had to be there =/

If he had kept fighting I would have felt like a jerk, but it was all in good fun.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
Oh please. Random online matches I have the most fun with because I can do random stuff to people. I just had a match where I yelled out You're too slow the whole match, only grabbed the smash ball and won. I pick Jigglypuff because everyone is Ike and they usually miss. Win those. People get pissed off a Yoshi. I taunt often. If I'm C.F., you better show me your moves.

Simply put, online you can **** around simply because its a game. I'll play serious, but when it comes to online, I'm all for laughs.

Veysey

Smash Cadet
The only message I really feel should be up and read in a taunt should be something along the lines of telling them this is your last match before going like "gtg after this". As others have mentioned - save the compliments for after the match... some players are looking for an intense fight... not compliments every few seconds.

Someone says: Brb phone whatever... what does it matter if they keep beating on you? Get them next match? Its not like its hurting you you forfeit ... whats more is I know people who would use that as an excuse to walk away from a complete beating. "brb phone"... but they're really just sitting there waiting for a few seconds because in reality "**** he's beating me senseless *sulk sulk*"

Remember that there are a lot of players who can ONLY find opponents online and want to get the absolute most out of every/any match. We all don't have the luxury of "playing serious" with friends and "playing casual" online... mostly because of lack of local friends. Whats more - some of us only have limited online time each day... do you think its respectable to demand they use THEIR time in YOUR way?

Remember that while you complain they are taking things too seriously, they just might well be complaining that you aren't taking the match serious enough. Whos right and who should be critisized? I can't really say but its pretty obvious that neither of you should be playing each other. When matching up (on forums or whatever) maybe people should be more clear in what they are looking for in a match-up, hmmm?

Its pretty easy man, find other players who agree with your play style... keep them on your FL... those who want intense and rewarding fights likely aren't going to want match-ups with you anyway so just enjoy the few matches with them and move on.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Having said that, I was playing Team Battle today and I was just goofing around and decided to completely throw the match. Not sure who my partner was, but I felt bad for him, as I continually dropped down all the way off the stage, and kept repeating that. What surprised me was that my partner, after seeing me do this about two times, decided to actually JOIN me in falling off the stage, continually committing Brawl suicide. My partner (who was playing as Sonic) even went as far as to hit someone on the Red team, and then run away and commit. It made for a pretty good laugh. And the Red Team just started squatting or taunting.
LOL, I had a moment similar to that. I was playing a team match and my partner kept using Pit's "The fight is on!" taunt. Eventually I walked up to him and started "attacking" him with Charizard's side B move, as if to say "You idot stop taunting before I join the blue team!"

SoiDohKamSal

Smash Rookie
i love random wifi battles LOL
one time we had this HUGE taunt fest xD
it was sooo funny
c.f ike sonic and olimar
i have a replay of it too

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why people can think the match is "too serious". If you're online "Seeking a Brawl", the opponent is most likely expecting a Brawl, not your watered down playing style just because it's online. If you have to leave, that's a fault of your own.

Sure, there's a good sport who will allow you the time to go wherever you want (including myself), but realize that you're holding them up when you do those things, and some people simply aren't patient like others. If you want to have a casual battle, you ask for a casual battle instead of looking for an opponent who probably doesn't prefer interruptions.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
All of my taunts are rediculus just SPOON!! or The Cake is a Lie i wanted to do Purple Monkey Dishwasher but it wouldn't fit it made me sad.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I would do that, and I'd do it because I'm trying to win. So if you're going to leave yourself wide open by taunting, then I'm going to go in for a few hits.
I taunt in matches all the time, and expect to be hit when I do it.

If you've got someting to do then just exit the game and do whatever it isyou had to do. I have some way to contact all of the friends on my list so if I have to quit I'll let them know what happened after I get back.

Top Bottom