• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Players that roll a lot.

Wronskian-Physics

Smash Cadet
You've all seen this online! The worst I've seen is players climbing up the ledge, and rolling all the way across the stage. I wish Smash had a chat so I could tell the guy to relax and that I wasn't going to hurt him.

Other things I see a lot:

Players that roll at you to attack.
Players that try to roll behind you and grab you.
Players that desperately try to grab you after you grabbed them, as if they are super mad or something.
Players that roll and then charge a smash attack.
Players that charge a smash attack and wait for you to walk in.

Last edited:

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Ganon is the best character to teach players not to do that. You can spam side-b to punish them every time and they will never die.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I'll admit, I roll too much in Melee and PM. In this game though, rolls are quite a bit better, so using roll to evade attacks is frequently not a bad option anymore.

CitizenSNIPS

Smash Cadet
Players that desperately try to grab you after you grabbed them, as if they are super mad or something.
Lol this happens in most fighting games I've played. If you miss a grab or throw someone, they will try to grab you within the next 5 seconds.

I swear rolls are stupid in ssb4 like they are abnormally spammable.
Might be because of the slight lag makes it a little harder to punish it. Usually I settle with a dash attack to punish because it's pretty easy to time even if there's a little bit of lag.

g00dapollo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Barayas
3DS FC
0061-0892-6923
I honestly have an issue with rolling a little too much myself at the moment. Only last night realized I can cancel my forward momentum with a crouch, which is far better than my shield. Going to break my nasty habit today.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
The people I play against don't do anything specific after rolling... They just roll. A lot. Big waste of time is what it is.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Might be because of the slight lag makes it a little harder to punish it. Usually I settle with a dash attack to punish because it's pretty easy to time even if there's a little bit of lag.
Actually, rolls just seem to be better in general. Most are shorter than in past games and have fewer vulnerable frames, making them safer to use.

CitizenSNIPS

Smash Cadet
Actually, rolls just seem to be better in general. Most are shorter than in past games and have fewer vulnerable frames, making them safer to use.
Yeah, I think so too, but I have no offline friends so I pretty much base my opinion based off of online. Rolls seem to be safer, I can't really react to it and punish, instead I have to make the read. And with Marth's range nerf I can't just annihilate them with an Fsmash for rolling

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
The only roll players are anoying but i got to admid i roll to much also everynow and then try to fix that.

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Rolling is a lot faster and farther in this game than in Brawl and Melee, so I can't blame people for feeling the need to do it often. Smash 64 by far has the best rolls in terms of speed and length, but I would say Smash 4 is in second place with best rolls, depending on the character since length and speed varies for everyone.

Rolling for offensive purposes is a definite no no in all Smash games (rolling behind the enemy to attack, etc.), but I really think rolling in Smash 4 is really great for defense or faking opponents, which doesn't work in Brawl or Melee because rolling is slower.

Last edited:

dmcAxle

Smash Rookie
Walking instead of just dashing does wonders for punishing roll/dash attack spamming players.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Gotta love people. Roll roll roll projectile roll roll roll bait attack roll grab throw roll projectile roll roll roll repeat. Dashing is overrated. Rolling and camping is the new meta.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
The counters to rolling are lingering and multi-hit hitboxes. Just throw one out, wait for invincibility to end, and there you go, they're dead.

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Yea I see this a lot.

It's not unbeatable, but makes games slow and annoying.
Yep. Whenever I see people playing that way I just SD out and find someone else. Not worth my time. If I'm not having fun it's not worth it.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Roll abusing online is so annoying. It's not that hard to counter, but with lag? No thanks.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
You can literally just charge a smash attack for people who roll. 90% of the time they'll roll in the same direction. It is how I punish people. I recommend charging a Down Smash since it usually covers both sides.

Mythrid

Smash Rookie
I'm one of these rollers... I've been playing smash bros for years with a large group of friends but never that seriously... I've only played in 3 tournaments locally but I've always done pretty well. Forgive my ignorance but what is so bad about rolling? Should I just be straight dodging?

Esquire

Smash Cadet
NNID
DarkSlay
Rolling is not as safe as people advertise it. Almost certain that first few frames on a roll leave you vulnerable. Not a safe instant option anymore, need to time cross-up rolls as opposed to just throwing them out.

Rolls seem pretty balanced IMO. Good players can easily punish rolls. Sakurai and the crew obviously wanted to incentivize spot-dodging and perfect shielding.

Last edited:

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably part of the problem instead of the solution. I roll way more than I should and incorporate it too much into my game. That being said, I've been playing Pac-man online and his dash attack has been great in dealing with other roll spammers in the 20ish matches I have played.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Isn't this like making a thread called "players that wavedash a lot" in the competitive section of the forums?

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Rolls from players like these are extremely easy to read and punish. I don't mind. If someone rolls too much, they're increasing my win rate.

Last edited:
I've always used a ton of evasive maneuvers in Smash; I'm glad that this time rolling is a lot more potent. A brief moment of hurtbox intangibility is always useful, and now it feels like I can roll and hit without missing a beat. It's a fair tactic so there's no need to shame rollers by saying they need to "calm down" or stop being "mad."

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Those rolling scrubs still round up losing, to all of you tat spam this how on earth can you lose after abusing such a safe move?

i only role every so often but i never use it to literally move to the other side, there's dashing for a reason Jeez.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Almost certain that first few frames on a roll leave you vulnerable.
This has always been the case, but the initial period of vulnerability is usually only a few frames. It's certainly not reactable.

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
Impulsively rolling is one of my biggest problems. I need to work on better ways to space myself.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
First few frames of rolling have no invincibility. Also several characters have roll traps on block. They press a button if you roll they can punish on reaction. Marth is famous for this with his Dancing Blade but most of the strong characters can do this like Little Mac, Sheik, ZSS and some others.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
First few frames of rolling have no invincibility. Also several characters have roll traps on block. They press a button if you roll they can punish on reaction. Marth is famous for this with his Dancing Blade but most of the strong characters can do this like Little Mac, Sheik, ZSS and some others.
Let me just capitalize on that 3~ frames of vulnerability online with lag. :p

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I end up rolling a lot out of habit, but I've been cutting back on it recently. (or at least trying my best to)
Its odd, I rarely rolled in any of the other smash games unless I needed to.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I'm afraid I'm one of those players that rolls quite a bit, at least for now. I'm getting use to my counter for Lucina and Elfire for Robin to relieve some pressure off of me but I still have a great deal of work to do to refine my play style. And even though I too roll a lot, I greatly dislike those players who do. I know, I know, I'm being hypocritical but I'm working on it :p

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
As far as I can tell, Smash 4 rolls are a lot safer immediately than they were previously. Like, intangibility is probably frame 2 or so (as soon as that glinting light GFX appears, the intangibility has kicked in). On the other hand, the intangibility ends much earlier in the roll than in Brawl, like halfway through. They're definitely faster overall, though.

Gotta love people. Roll roll roll projectile roll roll roll bait attack roll grab throw roll projectile roll roll roll repeat. Dashing is overrated. Rolling and camping is the new meta.
Pfft. I play Pit and Lucario like that in Brawl, but with a little less grab and more jab (and DTilt in Pit's case, with some FTilt in Lucario's case). And in Smash 4, replace almost every instance of "grab throw" with "projectile" and you get how I play the Mii Gunner. Although with a few more jumps and aerial Bomb Drops. And some actual dashing to run around, and dash attacks as follow-ups from successfully landing a Bomb Drop. And the occasional UTilt spam or fishing for KOs with DSmash or Cannon Uppercut.

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Pfft. I play Pit and Lucario like that in Brawl, but with a little less grab and more jab (and DTilt in Pit's case, with some FTilt in Lucario's case). And in Smash 4, replace almost every instance of "grab throw" with "projectile" and you get how I play the Mii Gunner. Although with a few more jumps and aerial Bomb Drops. And some actual dashing to run around, and dash attacks as follow-ups from successfully landing a Bomb Drop. And the occasional UTilt spam or fishing for KOs with DSmash or Cannon Uppercut.
In other words... you play the game, not camp like a douchenozzle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom