• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Players forcing lag?

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
I just had a couple games against a guy where the first match was completely lagless and I won, then all of a sudden, the next game I have horrible input lag but it looks like he's moving just fine because he's hitting all his combos. Then the next game the input lag is even worse and I can barely hit the guy. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Also there was no screen lag whatsoever. Just input lag.

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Hm... yes, actually I have. I swear it seems like they're doing something to only make it laggy on my end.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Yeah I've had it happen before too. I had awful input lag while this Mario was stringing his combos perfectly.

gamecrazy94

Smash Rookie
NNID
gamecrazy94
3DS FC
2320-6128-1064
I've encountered this a few times. I experienced the same thing with Street Fighter on the 3DS, except with almost every fight.

Riggy Rascal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-5630-4667
There was one time in For Glory where I went a few rounds against another player, and in only one of the matches we had was there input lag for me. Things seemed to be perfectly fine on my opponent's end because he was just juggling me in my helpless state. I ended the game by walking off the stage a couple times, but in the next match everything was fine, so that's where the similarities end.

But then the guy threw THAT match by walking off the ledge himself. I supposed he was being nice.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Yes. And then they taunt like they're amazing. Then it looks like they report me during the results screen. What's up with these people?

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
I had a few instances. Main one was me 2 stocking someone badly with Falcon, don't remember who they were. But then the second match, there was REALLY bad lag and they had switched to Toon Link and spammed projectiles from the other side. With the lag I'm clearlly not going to beat that so I just SD'd twice.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
I'm just wondering if it's an intentional thing by my opponent or just the server messing up because at one point in the game it became more smooth before sinking back down again

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I have experienced this... It really does feel like they are doing something, when they probably aren't. I'd like to think people aren't so bad at the game that they literally have to cause input lag to win.

Daryl

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1693-1886-6962
Yes I experienced this before. I was winning the first two matches, then suddenly on the third matches so much lag happen then he wins and left.

The question is: how to forcing lag ?

CrazyChaos

Smash Cadet
I thought I saw another thread about how players could flip the wireless switch on their 3DS off and on to cause lag. Apparently it was done by players online in another fighting game for the 3DS, but I do not know if it is doable in Smash.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
I've had games start with bad input lag, but they eventually start playing just fine. That's really as bad as it's gotten for me with input lag.

As for screen lag... that's another story.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
If you lag, they lag. They probably just know how to play with input lag.
You're telling me they're so used to input lag that they can string their normal combos together with no problem?

You're telling me that when someone switches to a projectile character after losing and it starts lagging that's just a coincidence?

stop it.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
You're telling me they're so used to input lag that they can string their normal combos together with no problem?

You're telling me that when someone switches to a projectile character after losing and it starts lagging that's just a coincidence?

stop it.
I have successfully forced lag to test the theory. High upload and low download makes you a god since it bottlenecks the other person. In other words both of you are lagging, but only one has full control over inputs.

I noticed that it isn't exactly consistent. It required additional interference to work properly. IMO, if you ever fight somebody who has fluid combos while your own actions are delayed, just pop out the cartridge or turn off the game. Nobody deserves to have a loss due to somebody getting an extremely cheap win. =/

Another thing to help people fight online is that they have modified there Circle Pad to act like a GC controller analog stick. It requires you to permanently alter the plastic part where the pad rests. It's not REALLY cheating, but it's like uneven racing. You have a peddle bike and they have a tricycle... With a motor.

Donkeykong98123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkeykong98123

stop it.
Yep. Some people play with input lag so much they get used to it.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
That DK thing u got goin on there is making more and more sense every post.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Oh great... My nightmares of Metal Gear Online (2) resurfaced. I was just thinking about the times I experienced lag and if this is true, then it's extremely poor sportsmanship. The concept was called Lag Switching; I don't remember how it works, but I think it forces lag onto yourself so you can exploit I-frames or something like it. I usually played random matches and "social" matches in MGO, but I did play some matches where there were Lag Switchers. They were promptly kicked if someone noticed, but since SSB4 doesn't have options to kick people like that or have a freaking option to choose between Local and Faraway connections, it's going to be a pain in the buttocks.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I have successfully forced lag to test the theory. High upload and low download makes you a god since it bottlenecks the other person. In other words both of you are lagging, but only one has full control over inputs.
So basically, if something is saturating your download bandwidth, like say, family members watching netflix/youtube, that could cause the issue?

It's probably really rampant because people don't know any better.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
So basically, if something is saturating your download bandwidth, like say, family members watching netflix/youtube, that could cause the issue?

It's probably really rampant because people don't know any better.
Yeah pretty much, but either way you don't have to sit there and take the unfair loss. It's still kind of easy to see who is abusing it and who is not, mostly based on the characters and tactics they use. They will usually try to toss you off the stage since your delayed inputs will kill you, perhaps with a bit of gimping. They will also use heavy projectile users if need be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom