• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Players Evolving?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Kinda sorta.
I've been out of the loop for brawl since APEX 2012, gone to maybe 7-10 tournaments since then compared to me going to a tournament every week or two back when Brawl was kinda fun and really active here in TX around 2010. WHOBO 5 is around the corner though and not sure what to expect from people that's been playing lately.

But one thing I've noticed since I watch popular brawl streams here or there cause no tournaments or money to play the game. Is that I feel like the Meta Knight mains... are evolving from just camp to win.
I mean sure CT Zero tried to time ADHD out, but look how that turned out cause he got a little too cocky.

Not just Meta Knight mains of course, Salem is another good example. Flashy fast aggressive playstyle caught people off-guard and it worked for awhile, He won APEX 2013 which is a pretty good feat. But people are slowly getting use to his style and playing just as aggressive (and keeping armor parts away from him), and he hasn't won a tournament since I believe.
The only times I'd see camping just to win is against Ice Climbers most of the time, nobody wants to go in on that especially when you have people like Vinnie and Nakat running around barely dropping their grabs.

Anything else I can think of that isn't top tier players and characters (since NJ/NY is about the only big tournaments/most active scene I can think of that's constantly having streams up and videos posted by CT) is I guess the hype for Raptor's flashy aggressive style, Seagull, and Pink Fresh? I dunno.

So what do you guys think? Has the metagame slowly edged toward being more aggressive counterplay to win matches, or is camping still a lot better than going in without giving your opponent much room to breathe and pick him/herself back together from the last onslaught? Matchup dependant? Players?
Who knows, I hardly do.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Zero said there is no reliable way to approach Diddy Kong with 2 bananas. That is why he camped. Also, I remember him saying he meant to tornado at the end of the set, not drill rush.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Even if he drill rushed instead of tornado he could've aimed it up, that was like a solid two seconds to say "oh I input wrong".
Anyways I'm just saying people who are aggressive, Seagull lol.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
The metagame is now about creating a wall and pushing it towards your opponent slowly

Which is a lot smarter than "lol, I'm gonna run away"

but the scrooging rule and LGL probably helped with that shift

Top Bottom