• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play Honorably?

SlickSnorlax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Persei
3DS FC
4699-5385-1643
I try to play honorably, but sometimes it feels so satisfying when I land the Ganoncide with 2 stocks versus their 1.

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
While i'm sure there's people who do use intentional lag i'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, I have a really weird internet connection that can sporadically change from superfast to oh dear jesus WHY?! in the span of a few minutes.
I usually only block and report people for being clearly intentionally insulting like them tag douchebags or people who'll just spam the same attack.

JimClassic

Smash Rookie
Obiwan once thought as you do....
I used to play honorably on For Glory until I came to the conclusion that dirtiest fighters tend to win. So when in Rome I fight dirty if I have to.

Now I'm not the best; I don't have split-second reaction time, but I can hold me own in most rounds. And if I think my opponent is better than me, than i will do whatever I have to to win. If I think my opponent isn't as skilled, I'll cut them some slack, and let them get back on the stage and what not.

And the repeated crouching...I think that's checking for lag. At least that's what I use it for.

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
I play Ganon sooo... yeah.
I strive to be as disrespectful as possible (blame biz for that) but lagging and "teabagging" is not fun to do. What's the point of being disrespectful if you don't have fun with it? To dampen the hate I might get, every other character I play I don't do this

1FC0

Smash Lord
Some people think "For Glory" means "Don't Have Fun, Do EVERYTHING you can to win." This is stupid. Have fun.
My idea of fun is doing everything I can to win except cheating. Spamming, camping, I have even used taunting in my advantage. And I find those things really fun to do it when it makes me play better. So do I need to play for fun or not?
No one, and I mean NO ONE (but you, maybe) cares about your record.
Well they probably do not care much about my health either but you do not see me smoking because of it. Why would I care what they care about when it's about my own business?
Though I must admit win rate is pretty pointless. It can be fun to try to get a streak of 100 wins though.

Last edited:

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't care about anything lmao. Sometimes I wanna win, sometimes I wanna be a ''douche'' even if I lose. TADA. Some people even start doing silly things with you if you do silly things too. Like having a match where you both only falcon punch. Doing douchy stuff can be fun but you gotta try it first. Shame if the other person might find it ''offensive'' Also teabagging is fun, especially as jiggs.(that sound she makes squeeee) I do use it to measure the input delay though.

Last edited:

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
I didn't want to quote your large text so.. I can understand the lag. (Effects your play considerably.)
However, Yes Teabagging is a form of taunting but it's working on you, annoying you. So it is working. You just have to get better. Lol when people taunt after killing me it's annoying just for the fact that most 95% of the time they aren't good. (They usually lose... there are a select few who get by due to my mistakes.)

For Glory (Play to Win)
This was essentially made specifically for players who wanted to keep a type of record of how good they are doing. To test themselves. Test to see what works and what doesn't. If they are being too predictable you should be able to adapt and pick up on things they are doing. There is always a way to win. Unless they a doing something completely broken....<--- Yet to be discovered.
its the 3ds though, if you want a record of how big your e-nuts are then at least play on the grown up version of the game where some of the big tournament names are playing.

Astellius

Smash Ace
I do not understand, if you do not want a competitive experience, play "For Fun."
Okay, I really do not understand this one. What about playing dishonorably has to do with the "competitive experience?" In pretty much any actual competitive context, I expect and give respect to my opponent. I want to point out that the crap I referred to does NOT happen in actual tournaments, and literally know of no tournament players who do any of the crap mentioned, especially not in any "competitive experience."

I do not see why the competitive experience needs to incorporate rudeness and disrespect in For Glory, when, otherwise, in Smash and elsewhere (other games, situations, etc.), we don't have it.

Also, to be fair, you can play ridiculously WITHOUT coming across as rude or disrespectful. For example, I've had some Jigglypuffs that tried to hit me with Rest most of the time, and some are very good at landing the hits. Or Ganons that just want to Ganon-cide.

My original point was, don't try to be rude, don't try be unsportsmanlike, don't try to be dishonorable. Instead, respect your opponent, try to have a fun game, and, of course, try to win.

Basically, I still DON'T get why some people WANT to make their opponents unhappy or upset or some crap like that. It isn't a recipe for success, and it only works on newer players, really. It can make your opponent unhappy, or something. I just don't understand why you want to, why you need to, and why some people see it as part of the game.

76leelee76

Smash Cadet
NNID
76leelee76
3DS FC
2552-3634-1654
There are numerous ways to intentionally lag a game. For the lag inducer, they want to control the lag, so usually they will have something like tin foil handy that disrupts the signal. Since the game is played peer to peer, a disruption on their side slows both sides. You could also use a phone, or anything that might disrupt the signal. Location can too. But they'll try to lag you at inopportune moments (I play Lucina, so they try to disrupt the B left/right combo ALL THE TIME). Also, lag when you're recovering. It's so stupid. They also like to taunt when they succeed in lagging you to death.
LOL, I'm sorrry, but having tinfoil handy sounds so ghetto. "I always have tinfoil handy so I can disrupt people on my wii u for glory."

No offense.

Morbi

Scavenger
Okay, I really do not understand this one. What about playing dishonorably has to do with the "competitive experience?" In pretty much any actual competitive context, I expect and give respect to my opponent. I want to point out that the crap I referred to does NOT happen in actual tournaments, and literally know of no tournament players who do any of the crap mentioned, especially not in any "competitive experience."

I do not see why the competitive experience needs to incorporate rudeness and disrespect in For Glory, when, otherwise, in Smash and elsewhere (other games, situations, etc.), we don't have it.

Also, to be fair, you can play ridiculously WITHOUT coming across as rude or disrespectful. For example, I've had some Jigglypuffs that tried to hit me with Rest most of the time, and some are very good at landing the hits. Or Ganons that just want to Ganon-cide.

My original point was, don't try to be rude, don't try be unsportsmanlike, don't try to be dishonorable. Instead, respect your opponent, try to have a fun game, and, of course, try to win.

Basically, I still DON'T get why some people WANT to make their opponents unhappy or upset or some crap like that. It isn't a recipe for success, and it only works on newer players, really. It can make your opponent unhappy, or something. I just don't understand why you want to, why you need to, and why some people see it as part of the game.
Anything To Win
Some people think "For Glory" means "Don't Have Fun, Do EVERYTHING you can to win." This is stupid. Have fun. No one, and I mean NO ONE (but you, maybe) cares about your record. I play chess competitively. I think it's similar. I never play to lose; I always play to win. But I also want to have fun, EVEN WHEN I lose. If the other player is dickish, and just waits out time when in a losing position, that's not fun for anyone. It's stupid and wasteful. Can't we just play and have fun? Get better? Practice without being asinine?

Basically, I was alluding to the last third of your post. No one in their right mind wants someone to intentionally lag a match; however, again, in For Fun I doubt they are competitive enough to try and cheat to inflate their non-existent records. As for "teabagging" or taunting. That is, again, part of the competitive experience. Many do it to get a rise out of you and force an idiotic approach. Others do it to acknowledge that something unintentional happened in the match. If you interpret that as disrespect, that is on you. Unless you somehow know precisely why they are taunting, you can hardly assert that it is "dishonorable." Once more, the aforementioned For Fun mode does not have serious (malicious) taunting. They most likely taunt for fun or to communicate, something I do in For Glory that people like you take offense with. So if these three issues bother you, I would recommend that you play For Fun.

So my point is that attempting to win, with an anything to win mentality, is not rude, unsportsmanlike, or dishonorable by any reasonable definition. The taunting depends on the person and situation. If you adhere to some blanket assumption that every single taunt is targeted directly at you in a condenscending way, you are not going to have a good time and go away feeling as though a great portion of For Glory is unsportsmanlike.

If you do not know of a tournament where a player does everything in their power to win, you have not watched a high-level tournament. Time-outs occur in real tournaments, even in "losing" situations such as the Smash 4 Invitational with Zero and HungryBox in Grand Finals. Why? It was because he was intelligent enough to discern that the rule-set was different and that he had an advantage by playing more defensively. For Glory does not utilize tournament rules and therefore we can conclude that Sakurai does not interpret a percentage lead as a genuine lead. Neither do I, to be honest. However, sudden death is not acceptable in tournament for a plethora of reasons, so we do the best with what we have. Ergo, players who try to time you out while they are at a percent deficit are not being dishonorable, they are playing within the rules. "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

Because all tournaments are 2 stock 5 minutes on FD...

oh wait...........
Nice straw man.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
people sure love throwing that word around.
It is a straw man fallacy as I never implied, or stated that For Glory adhered to tournament rules. I never alluded to the notion that For Glory is the standard, definitive competitive experience or that any other tournaments followed For Glory rules. Furthermore, I never claimed anything in regard to Final Destination, a timer, or two stock rule-sets. I merely called it competitive.

If people often state that you produced a straw man fallacy, I would work on that. If I am mistaken, please, by all means, highlight where I stated that all tournaments are five minutes, two stocks, Omega stages only. I will be sure to edit the post to correct that mistake and I apologize in advance.

Edit- @ dav3yb dav3yb I responded on your profile page as this probably consitutes off-topic discussion.

Last edited:

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
It is a straw man fallacy as I never implied, or stated that For Glory adhered to tournament rules. I never alluded to the notion that For Glory is the standard, definitive competitive experience or that any other tournaments followed For Glory rules. Furthermore, I never claimed anything in regard to Final Destination, a timer, or two stock rule-sets. I merely called it competitive.

If people often state that you produced a straw man fallacy, I would work on that. If I am mistaken, please, by all means, highlight where I stated that all tournaments are five minutes, two stocks, Omega stages only. I will be sure to edit the post to correct that mistake and I apologize in advance.
a straw man ignores any original point made and builds an entirely new argument that is easy to tear down (want to spend less on nation defense? why do you want terrorists to attack us?). your original statement of: "I do not understand, if you do not want a competitive experience, play "For Fun."" could easily be interpreted as "For Glory is a competitive experience." It's true that it is indeed a MORE competitive experience than for fun, but its far from what anyone would ever consider tournament standard, and in fact, it's really only what 1 man in the entire world seems to think tournament smash is like (who has also stated his dislike of competitive smash). me pointing out that for glory was 2 stock 5 minutes and only on FD stages only served to point out that no tournament in their right mind would ever use that standard for "competition." The ONLY thing competitive about for glory is that its 1v1 (which some people just prefer for a fighting game) and that it has no items.

Raythegamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
StrikerZ
3DS FC
1864-9222-9909
1st issue:Actually I have never encountered a problem like that

2nd issue:Dosen't affect gameplay much to me

3rd Issue:Some people would rather want to win.They think winning is everything including fun.Well they're wrong.When you lose,you improve cause you learn from your mistake.Them?They will always be the same.So while you get better day by day,they will still be the same.One day,you will be better then them.

I don't know,it's just my view

Squigglydot

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0404-7785-8307
do people actually get bothered by "teabagging"? I always just see it as people jokin' around. If someone does it, I usually do as well. Kinda honorable, while still not being too serious.

I do see a lot of people doing anything to win, but that just makes things better when you do get a stock or two from them.

Fortunately, Ive never seen *intentional* lag. I guess I'm lucky.

Astellius

Smash Ace
So my point is that attempting to win, with an anything to win mentality, is not rude, unsportsmanlike, or dishonorable by any reasonable definition. The taunting depends on the person and situation. If you adhere to some blanket assumption that every single taunt is targeted directly at you in a condenscending way, you are not going to have a good time and go away feeling as though a great portion of For Glory is unsportsmanlike.

First, the "anything to win" mentality basically eschews whatever concepts we might have of what is considered acceptable or sportsmanlike in favor of doing whatever it takes to win. Lag switching, for example, is not acceptable or sportsmanlike, but clearly people are doing it to win--that's part of "anything to win." Being rude, disrespectful, or demeaning to another person as a means to win also is part of "anything to win," because the "winning" part is what is important to such people. Trying to stall for 3 minutes gets old really quick and is just a waste of time (and I'm not talking about purely defensive play (although camping is generally not favorably viewed), but, for example, a jigglypuff that gets knocked into the air and starts doing pound over and over to waste time while falling). The "anything to win" mentality can result in throwing away all basic consideration for the other player, because the ultimate goal is to win at whatever the cost, and the price might even be that the match results with no one enjoying the match(es). Then there's the people who ragequit or intentionally disconnect. That can be annoying too.

Second, thinking of taunts with that sort of blanket assumption is stupid, and it's clear that not all, or most, taunts are directed with malicious intent. I also didn't say that most of FG is unsportsmanlike. However, enough of it is that sometimes playing it can be unenjoyable, and it can otherwise leave one with a bad taste in the mouth precisely because of this. Of course, there is plenty of rudeness, arrogance, disrespect, condescension, and what have you, wherever one goes in life (virtual or otherwise). I just have also seen a lot of effort expended by people trying to justify this sort of behavior. While I really don't expect it to go away, I'm just calling out such behavior as dishonorable and unacceptable.

The matches I have with people that are both skilled and respectful, or even those that are unskilled but still respectful, tend to be much more enjoyable than those where people act otherwise. At least that's how it is for me.

1FC0

Smash Lord
First, the "anything to win" mentality basically eschews whatever concepts we might have of what is considered acceptable or sportsmanlike in favor of doing whatever it takes to win. Lag switching, for example, is not acceptable or sportsmanlike, but clearly people are doing it to win--that's part of "anything to win." Being rude, disrespectful, or demeaning to another person as a means to win also is part of "anything to win," because the "winning" part is what is important to such people. Trying to stall for 3 minutes gets old really quick and is just a waste of time (and I'm not talking about purely defensive play (although camping is generally not favorably viewed), but, for example, a jigglypuff that gets knocked into the air and starts doing pound over and over to waste time while falling). The "anything to win" mentality can result in throwing away all basic consideration for the other player, because the ultimate goal is to win at whatever the cost, and the price might even be that the match results with no one enjoying the match(es). Then there's the people who ragequit or intentionally disconnect. That can be annoying too.
The competitive "play to win" mentality which I often use is different from this though. Playing to win means no cheating, and that means no lagging to win since using influences from outside the game and players to directly influence the game is normally cheating. Aside from hat when playing to win people may resort to stalling if they think that they can win with it.

I do not know if the guy that you quoted meant the "play to win" mentality but he might have since I do not think that many people consider lagging the game as something that should be allowed.

Astellius

Smash Ace
Yes, to be fair, of course there are distinctions to be drawn. But I also did not say "play to win," I said "anything to win." There is a difference between playing to win, and doing anything to win. People who resort to lag switching represent the pinnacle of the "anything to win" mentality, because, at that point, one is just blatantly trying to ruin the playing field for the other person by messing with the mechanics. Clearly bad.

But what about people who are teabagging or taunting or otherwise trashing the other person in hopes of getting a rise out of the other person? This, to me, is crossing a line, because it involves actions intentionally designed to upset the other person, as opposed to just regular playing.

Now, to go back to stalling, sometimes I think it's an acceptable tactic. It's clearly the least offensive of the three things I originally mentioned. There are some things we can draw out concerning stalling. And also, not everything that is allowable is going to be considered honorable.

One thing that is pretty much dishonorable is what I'll call spite stalling, where one is not really stalling as a tactic of winning, but rather just is a means of spiting the other person because one is losing or has been losing. This happens only rarely; what's probably more common is when people lose and then wait out the clock for selecting a character for the next match, and then leave. That's capitally annoying and certainly not honorable.

There's also unreasonable stalling, where there's not really a good chance that one will last the whole time, but fighting also doesn't seem viable. Here, the option might seem to be that stalling presents a possibility of winning via sudden death, while fighting does not. So, does one keep fighting or try to stall out the clock? I argue that it's the more honorable path to simply keep fighting it out, as the stalling just becomes a frustrating waste of time. Now, that doesn't mean that unreasonable stalling becomes dishonorable. Honor isn't a binary like that; the stalling might simply just not be honorable without being dishonorable.

Reasonable stalling would be where it is viable to push the clock to sudden death, and this presents the best option for winning. There's no bright line between reasonable stalling and unreasonable stalling, so it's something of a spectrum. But when it seems like pushing for a sudden death is a reasonable course of action, then I'm pretty much all okay with it.

Khao

Smash Lord
The intentional lag thing is just plain getting into conspiracy-theory territory. Maybe it's not hard to make a match laggy by messing with your signal, or overloading your connection with loading, but how in the world could anyone make the game lag in just a split second on reaction while they're in the middle of a combo. Like, what?

Lag happens. No matter how good your connection is, there can be hiccups at any moment. I've played with freaking friends before and gotten laggy matches after a perfect game.

About teabag... Why? Why is this such a big deal? Why does teabagging affect you? What's so freaking insulting about teabagging? I know what it means, but it's practically a completely empty non-threat. It's like... You just get offended because it's supposed to be an "offensive" action. Like "oh, he's teabagging, lets get offended!" Dude, no, there's absolutely nothing happening when somebody teabags, it doesn't even look like teabagging in this game, it's only an issue because you're allowing it to be an issue. Heck, maybe they're not actually doing it to offend you, they might just think it looks funny, or heck, they might just be repeatedly crouching without knowing it means something in the gaming community. I've come across both thing several times. And heck, I've been accusing of teabagging before when... I simply crouch. You're making a non-issue become a huge deal.

I can understand how you can be annoyed at certain strategies, but honestly, that's just getting into personal preference territory. I've also been annoyed before when my opponent picks a character I don't like fighting against, or using a strategy I find un-fun to deal with for several different reasons. But I can't blame them for playing the game the way they want to play it.

In the end, running away when time is almost out might be annoying to some. To others, it might just be an obvious part of playing the game.

The thing is that with a game with so much variation as this, there's bound to be thousands of different play mentalities that are incompatible with eachother. The best you can do is find a group of like-minded people to enjoy this game the best. You can't find that when playing the game against random strangers, so if you wanna do that, you're gonna just have to learn to accept that different people will play with a different mentality, and their own personal code.

Astellius

Smash Ace
First, I did not say split in the middle of a combo for lag switching. Lag switching with the 3DS is actually VERY easy to achieve. I have tingsha meditation bells, and I found that I could create lag just by holding one over the wireless port. Basically, the times you are most likely to experience lag switching are during: (1) recovery, (2) sudden death, or (3) charged attacks or L. Mac's KO punch. Intentional lagging can also occur when one is at high percent. This really isn't conspiracy theory, and the 3DS signal is surprisingly easy to compromise.

Second, teabagging. Sure, it is not actual teabagging, but that does not stop it from conveying the same message. Even in shooter games where you can actually teabag, the crouching motion signifies teabagging even if not done on the corpse. Basically, it's a universal sign of disrrespect. Furthermore, it reasonably comes across as a sign of disrespect, and plenty of people intend it to do so. This then makes it dishonorable, because you are disrespecting your opponent. Why should you want to do that? This isn't a point of different opinions, at least not the point I'm trying to make. I'm saying, be respectful of the other person, which entails not taking actions that may be reasonably construed as offensive.

And I wasn't referring to a bunch of different strategies. It is actually amazing how similar a lot of things can be, or different. But, to be sure, some ways of acting convey messages sure enough. It isn't as though people act so differently on here that there is not the possibility for understanding what they mean when they do certain things. Actually, those actions are usually so similar to actions in other games that I know exactly what they mean. It's not like this is a new world of gaming, this is just another world of gaming filled with most of the same type of gamers as can be found anywhere else.

But when you find better, that is always nice.

Pakky

Smash Hero
What's with the whole choosing the other person's character? Do you need to express your victory that badly? Or for that matter taunting after a kill even if the person kills themself. I mean really? I play Mewtwo and I never taunt because I'm not a basement dweller and I get satisfaction out of more things than just playing a videogame.

Last edited:

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
If someone accidentally SDs at the start, sure, I'll give up my stock as well. If not, I can guarantee you I'll taunt, t-bag, or disrespect in any way possible

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I generally SD if my opponent does and it clearly wasn't their fault when playing online, or even locally. It isn't really a "match" if I literally get a free stock lead. While I appreciate it if my opponents do the same, I don't really expect them to anymore, since most of the time, I come back and win anyway.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
This is about 5% of why I stopped playing online in this game. The other 95% is because I am so used to playing offline in this game, that even the smallest bit of lag makes the game feel like it has very unresponsive controls.

I do not understand, if you do not want a competitive experience, play "For Fun."
lol For Glory is barely competitive. Most of the people on there are straight up scrubs and you can only play on omega stages. You can get a more competitive experience just about anywhere else.

Last edited:

Astellius

Smash Ace
What's with the whole choosing the other person's character? Do you need to express your victory that badly? Or for that matter taunting after a kill even if the person kills themself. I mean really? I play Mewtwo and I never taunt because I'm not a basement dweller and I get satisfaction out of more things than just playing a videogame.
Wait, what? I don't get the "choosing the other person's character" thing. If I play the same character you just played, that can mean a LOT of things--although it usually means that I main or second that character, or maybe you inspired me to try out that character in the next round. Also, there are some series that draw comrades--for example, FE players love playing other FE players. That may inspire a clone.

As for taunting after a person kills themselves, that usually is them acknowledging they did something really stupid. Think about what taunting after you die does--it completely wastes every moment of invincibility they had. They could pursue and attack you, but, instead, they just want to say, hey, I did something stupid lol.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Wait, what? I don't get the "choosing the other person's character" thing. If I play the same character you just played, that can mean a LOT of things--although it usually means that I main or second that character, or maybe you inspired me to try out that character in the next round. Also, there are some series that draw comrades--for example, FE players love playing other FE players. That may inspire a clone.

As for taunting after a person kills themselves, that usually is them acknowledging they did something really stupid. Think about what taunting after you die does--it completely wastes every moment of invincibility they had. They could pursue and attack you, but, instead, they just want to say, hey, I did something stupid lol.
Yeah I usually don't have a problem with that, but when I lose to that player 3 or more times and they switch to the character I had been using the whole time I feel like it is very likely they are trying to make me feel like I am worse than them with my own main. Most of the time when this happens though they have no idea how to use the character.

Astellius

Smash Ace
Really, I don't know what to think about this. Sure, there are people who would try to show you up--like, say, hey, I'm better at your main than you are, even though this isn't my main!

But, if you want to be good, you should actually know how every character plays. Sometimes I switch to my opponent's character because I want to learn techniques from them. Sometimes it's a reminder to me--hey, you don't really know this character. I literally don't know how much of a problem this particular thing is, since I don't have experience with it. Hopefully others can add more than I did!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
When people switch to my character after I whoop them, I usually assume it's because they're thinking "your character is cheap, i'm gonna play them and prove it to you". Whether or not that's accurate is impossible to know.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Honor? Honor is not holding back, it's giving them the best challenge you can present. Honor is not stacking more rules on top of rules to limit yourself, it is fighting with precisely what you've been presented. Honor is not bickering about who broke the arbitrary limit on X attempting to illegitimize somebody's win, it's congratulating them for using what's been given to them better.

When the game says X won, who won? X won. There is no other answer. If I want to win, the only way to stop me is to beat me and not hiding behind made up laws and excuses. If you don't want to lose, don't play the game. Quit ruining others' fun by being dishonorable and a bad sport.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Honor? Honor is not holding back, it's giving them the best challenge you can present. Honor is not stacking more rules on top of rules to limit yourself, it is fighting with precisely what you've been presented. Honor is not bickering about who broke the arbitrary limit on X attempting to illegitimize somebody's win, it's congratulating them for using what's been given to them better.

When the game says X won, who won? X won. There is no other answer. If I want to win, the only way to stop me is to beat me and not hiding behind made up laws and excuses. If you don't want to lose, don't play the game. Quit ruining others' fun by being dishonorable and a bad sport.
I agree. One of the most dishonorable things you can do in any competitive game is sandbagging. Whether you win or lose sandbagging is basically like you are telling the guy you are playing against that the only possible way they could even have a chance of winning is if they hold back. If they lose then they will just disregard it. In general I just find doing things with the intent of making the other person feel bad about themselves is pretty dishonorable. I wouldn't really consider taunting as something that would make someone feel bad about how skilled they are at the game, since taunting seems to be used a lot more to celebrate rather than to make the other player feel like they suck.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Personally, I've never had an issue with people who pick my character after they've seen me play them, win or lose. Doubles play is really fun most of the time. Either they're better with the character than I am and I get to learn some new tricks/tactics, or I'm better and get to win. Sure some people are clearly trying to be disrespectful when they do it, but usually those are the folk who fail hard when double push comes to double shove.

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534

This. This so much. This is a compeitive game, and yet you guys are acting like playing to win is a bad thing. So long as you aren't cheating, there's nothing wrong with using all your available tools to reach victory. You guys can cry about so-called honorable playstyles all you want, but if you cant beat laser-gyro-laser-gyro-laser-gyro, then it's on you.

Top Bottom