• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Canceling

RP`

Smash Apprentice
I am not claiming to discovering an AT or anything because I am sure many of you have noticed/performed this before or most likely well known fact, but I do not see anyone abusing this. I also couldn't use a search function to see if this has been discussed before since I don't know its name, so I will refer to this as Platform Canceling. I guess this is like the DASC, but I want to discuss other intentions/viability.

Pretty much what Platform Canceling is, is performing an aerial above a platform (or ledge, depending how you want to use it) and touching the very edge of the platform so your horizontal momentum will carry you off the ledge and canceling its animation so you can perform another aerial. I see this as a useful AT because it can be used to extend the length of the hitbox of whatever move(s) you are trying to use to create a longer lasting "wall"... or it can be used to mindgame, as if you are trying to portray you whiffed an aerial then you bait your opponent into another aerial of some sort.

I am not big into testing, so I tested very little about this. Hell, I only tested under a handful of characters and only tested Bairs. But as far as Bairs go (to create sort of a wall in this case) I have noticed a couple characters who benefit well from this are DK and Ness since they have very meaty Bairs.

I am sure there are a ton more variations and other possibilities other than just double Bair... but meh.

If this has already been discussed, please shoot me in the face and lock this thread.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So, whats uh... this supposed to be?

Landing on the edge of a platform then sliding off due to your momentum in order to perform another aerial? Or something else?

I'm pretty sure it's been talked about or is common knowledge it it's the one I said...

RP`

Smash Apprentice
I acknowledge it is common knowledge, but I just want to know/discuss if there is anything else we can get out of this.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The proper term actually is called 'Platform Cancelling' and you see it a lot in Melee (Like with Samus, and other characters).

Any character with slidey traction should be able to do it I'd imagine. Also there's MK's thing where you can glide into the ground and then when you reach the end of a platform, you hit A and he'll like, drop down using his nair (Not sure about other aerials).

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
only b-moves

which is hard >_< for some moves

probably the most useful thing is edge canceling turnip pulls, its too good

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Tink can do it with Arrows. It's a ***** to pull of and in no way useful. I feel this is more flashy than anything else.

Top Bottom