• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PLANT COMBOS (#PlantGang)

What tier do you think Piranha Plant is in?

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • High

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Mid

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Low

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Bottom

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Tbro

Smash Cadet
Dthrow at 0 combos into nair or fair. What are other short true combos with the best character in Smash Ultimate? (This thread essentially operates in the same way as my Inkling Bread and Butter Combos thread).

Midoriki

Smash Cadet
Down throw to f-air keeps working for a long time! Latest I've been able to hit it on a Mario DI'ing away and still get a 4 hit combo according to training mode was 67%. Does a nice chunk of damage too, around 20% depending on what part of the f-air you hit with. 19.7% seems to be the most common at low percents.

Landing N-air combos into jab, maybe grab too? Seems to work at any percent as long as you don't hit the late strong hit of nair. I sometimes don't land in-front of the opponent with nair, I wonder if that could be done intentionally to combo into up-tilt?

Down-tilt combos into f-tilt at low percents.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Down throw to f-air keeps working for a long time! Latest I've been able to hit it on a Mario DI'ing away and still get a 4 hit combo according to training mode was 67%. Does a nice chunk of damage too, around 20% depending on what part of the f-air you hit with. 19.7% seems to be the most common at low percents.

Landing N-air combos into jab, maybe grab too? Seems to work at any percent as long as you don't hit the late strong hit of nair. I sometimes don't land in-front of the opponent with nair, I wonder if that could be done intentionally to combo into up-tilt?

Down-tilt combos into f-tilt at low percents.
4 hit combo from d-throw? How?

Grump

Smash Apprentice
Heavy characters, dthrow combos into u-smash with no DI at 0. Get a poison cloud on them first and you’re looking at an easy 40-60 damage if they don’t shield

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
Falling U-air> neutral b> fair/bair works at very low percents.

kinda sad its uair is kinda hard to hit while landing.

smoulder

Smash Rookie
Its not exactly a combo, but I've had quite a bit of success with side b > angled down b. Very useful

Tbro

Smash Cadet
Theoretically grabbing an opponent while in poison cloud and pummeling would be a lot of easy damage. Fully charged cloud does 53.2% so if you can hold them for all of that and pummel you would do around 56-57 percent, and then more with a throw. This is untested except for the damage number for fully charged poison

Sco7t

Smash Rookie
Down-tilt sets up a fully charged poison cloud nicely, some dashing required at higher percentages.

LightSwornSphinx

Smash Rookie
Dthrow - Side B works at 0-10ish% Can be used to 50/50 with a dash or Neutral B to catch roll out. Not a combo but good damage.

Vakyoom

Smash Rookie
I'm surprised that nobody is talking about the U-throw into Neutral B combo potential vs medium/heavies.

Works vs CPU(lvl 8 and those ****ers can dodge anything) in smash and in training (tested with Ike, Lucas and Game & Watch - G&W was able to DI out easiest) with heavy DI on consistently. Its not a true combo as the combo meter resets just before the Neutral B connects but it'll likely hit at least once during a live match and once you learn how they try to dodge you can predict & punish that instead. Since the ball pops out on frame 9, its going to be faster than a jumping Uair and will guarantee another combo piece. It also launches way farther than Uair so its a better kill option too, especially if you grab while on a platform.

If the ball hits the "combo" ends up with about 35-36% damage inflicted. If the ball lands this can also true-combo into Fair for around 46-47% total damage if the opponent had less than about 18% before grabbing them.

For Bonus points, after landing the Fair in the 0-20% combo you can just free fall and hold Neutral B. If the Fair knocked them off the stage this will cover the enemies recovery from below if they are characters with weak sideways recovery. You can then swallow the ball if it doesn't hit and recover from below easily. If this lands, you'll end up with over 60% damage done in one string.

0-20% = Grab - Pummel(s) - Uthrow - Neutral B - Jump into Fair - Straight drop while holding Neutral B
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
WARNING: While doing the Neutral B you will get one full breath to stall the spike ball in the air, so two small puffs or one full float before the ball heads back downwards. If you start to blow it back up again and it misses the target, you will swallow/push the ball too late and won't be able to jump/recover before hitting the bottom blast zone. You can also throw it to the side to recover early if need be.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

After 20% you just need to jump and you'll still either hit them or force a dodge which you can then punish.

20-100% = Grab - Double/Triple Pummel - Uthrow - Jump into Neutral B (HOLD IT)

You won't be able to follow up with any attacks except for a very risky and difficult to aim Down B. If they have a chance to DI or dodge then you can punish accordingly. If this lands I've just been moving into position for another Spikey zone control/edge guard or charge up a new Poison Cloud if I need to.

IF UTHROW->FULL HOP->PTOOIE LANDS IT WILL KO AT AROUND 115% for the start of the grab(Battlefield). If you're on a platform then it will KO at even lower percentages. This basically only works on Heavy/Mid-heavy characters as the Lightweights just fly too far away. The good news is, an Uthrow will basically kill them with around 125% before grabbing.

Other random stuff....

* Speaking of Poison Cloud, does everyone know that this move halts your mid air movement while spitting the cloud? Even just a quick double tap on Side B to get a small cloud out can be used as a pseudo air dodge for people looking to base an attack on your trajectory.

* A fully charged poison cloud can easily guard your edge recovery and provide a nice cover for a quick-drop-jump-attack from the edge or a Piranhacopter to get to the other side of the stage. Also, it also deals a metric ton of damage if you get any move off that can hold them inside like a grab or rapid jab attack on an edge.

* Piranhacopter is hilarious. Makes it possible to go really deep for some wacky kills and when people get caught in it i can't stop laughing. You can go under a handful of levels with it but i need more practice with the directional aim.

* Down B is our scariest but also our most vulnerable move. You have Super Armor only while charging and your disjointed head Hurtbox really makes it tough to use on aware opponents. Basically, when you snap out to attack, you can be hit in the head and sent flying from your body's location or grabbed and your body pulled to your heads location. If you're off the edge and get meteor smashed in the head then your body will be meteored instead. The same applies to the length of PP's body during the attack.

* Crouching on the ground is a fun way to fake people into thinking you're charging your Down B. Poison Cloud cover can make it very effective since they can't see it coming as easily. You can also press B again as you attack to make PP snap early, forcing air dodges and the like out of opponents.

* Usmash is our fastest and most reliable ground finisher, killing from the ground at about 110% on medium characters. It emerges after just 12 frames and has decent side-range like Lucas' Usmash. It's the classic Piranha Plant chomp so it had better be amazing! Of course it combos really well with Dthrow onto platforms(tech prediction) and you can catch dodge rollers with it too.

I hope everybody is having fun with our big planty boi, he's everything I wanted from a technical character(except that disjointed hurtbox on Down B being so wacky) since they nerfed game and watch for smash 4.

News from Reddit/twitch...

Here is a zero-to-death that just got posted on Smash Bros subreddit, it doesn't appear to be true until you get to the Neutral B - Uair - Neutral B

https://clips.twitch.tv/AgitatedNiceClipsmomShazBotstix

The entire combo is Grab - Pummel - Dthrow - RAR Uair - DI Neutral B - Uair - Neutral B

This really only worked because of the way the player DI'd but it will still prove useful and its worth practicing either way.

Apparently Tweek (the guy doing the combo) thinks PP is pretty bad but it looks like he's already showing the potential and maybe he'll take him to some tournaments.

Edit: for general clean up of wording and formatting. Added section about Down B tricks.

Last edited:

Gleam

Smash Ace
Some of Plant's "True Combos" I've seen and some which have been mentioned in this topic are:

D-Throw+Fair (up to 130%)
D-Tilt+Fair (Up to 130%)
D-Tilt+F-tilt (Very low percentages)
Nair+Fastfall+Jab (Works on large characters, may not work on smaller ones)
Nair+Fastfall+F-tilt (only works at extremely low percentages)
U-Tilt+Fair (Can work up to at least 60%)
Double U-Tilt+Fair (Can work all the way up until 30%)
Neutral B+A lot of things (As it's kind of known already, it's possible string in a lot of different moves through Neutral B)
Poison+Whatever the f*** you want (Got to love that poison)

So while some of them are very specific, Plant does have a few true combos and I won't be surprised if I didn't get all of them.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Heavy characters, dthrow combos into u-smash with no DI at 0. Get a poison cloud on them first and you’re looking at an easy 40-60 damage if they don’t shield
The punish can be arguably worse if they do shield. Apparently the poison shreds shields. So that's a pretty delicious damned if you do, damned if you don't right there.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Down throw> Run up Neutral B>F-air on K.Rool registers as a true combo on K.Rool at 25%-38% and does 39%.

Down throw>Uair FFx3>Rising Neutral B>DJ F-AIR registers as true from 0 and does a huge 64%.

Last edited:

Zalezus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zal3zus
Dthrow Or Dtilt > RAR Bair is tight but true mid-high percent and starts killing at the ledge around 65-70% if it still combos on that character in particular. It beats jump and attack and loses to air dodge in the looser ranges.

Top Bottom