• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PKT2 Sweetspotting

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
(Yay, my first ever topic.)

So we all know that most characters automatically grab the ledge if they come within a mile of it while in the air. Which is why it puzzles me that on numerous occasions, I've ricocheted off the edge instead of grabbing it while trying to recover with PKT2. I first assumed that my aim was off since it usually happens when I go for a roughly horizontal angle, but the more it happens the more I wonder if something's up. Meh. Thoughts?

Smartidiot

Smash Rookie
It happens all the time, you have to do it at a angle. Just wait till you fall down more. It does suck, but it have nothing to do with your sweet spot. :D

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
It's odd, but occasionally when I use the PKT2 from above at a steep angle and hit the ledge, it bounces me back almost straight upward.

*sigh* Wish I had a video of it. It's hard to describe.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
God I hate you people. Aim low to sweetspot. If you hit a specific point from the right angle on the right side of stages you can continue PKT2 reflecting as Neon Ness describes above. It's called ledgebending for those who care. The right side of stages do not allow wallhugging during PKT2 and will cause you to bounce to your death.

luc4s

Smash Cadet
Instead, aim over the edge, that way you don't have to wory about grabbing the ledge, and getting up.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Instead, aim over the edge, that way you don't have to wory about grabbing the ledge, and getting up.
Thats a terrible idea because you'll be punished.

I feel as though someone should be like "LOL THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS."

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
It's odd, but occasionally when I use the PKT2 from above at a steep angle and hit the ledge, it bounces me back almost straight upward.

*sigh* Wish I had a video of it. It's hard to describe.
If it's too steep, that will happen. But I really don't have a problem with that, because if you are under the stage and even if you don't sweetspot the edge, most people will be so surprised that you recovered that they will not punish you. It's happened against people who don't know lucas.

PK Starstorm

Smash Journeyman
In lucas' basement paying rent in doggy treats for
Thats a terrible idea because you'll be punished.

I feel as though someone should be like "LOL THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS."
that's not entirely true. to avoid bouncing to my death, i use this method sometimes. you can catch people off guard, and zap them with the last hit of the move sending them fying away. It all depends on the situation. you can say always get to the edge, but if a persin edgehogs, then what you gonna do. if you go up, you could get f or u smashed, depending on the situation

Phillyfanboy

Smash Apprentice
Try to avoid it all together...I never seem to leave the stage low, lucas is so light I'm trying to land safely most of the time.

Try zap jumping/ want have to mess with pkt2 at all.

Phillyfanboy

Smash Apprentice
Very true...however even if you miss the zap jump the 1st time, youll still have your second jump (unless you got a mini zap jump) so you'll be a little lower but still able to recover more than safely.

Training helps... take the plunge and jump, you'll find that if you miss it you still be able to get back. My jump is map to the L trigger . So I've never lost my 2nd jump without at least getting mini zap jump...So I always get back in training. Not had to use it much in real matches yet.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Very true...however even if you miss the zap jump the 1st time, youll still have your second jump (unless you got a mini zap jump) so you'll be a little lower but still able to recover more than safely.

Training helps... take the plunge and jump, you'll find that if you miss it you still be able to get back. My jump is map to the L trigger . So I've never lost my 2nd jump without at least getting mini zap jump...So I always get back in training. Not had to use it much in real matches yet.
Yea but DemonicTrilogy is right. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent in training mode trying to not mess up. And after all that, I'm still like 60% till I get warmed up at which I move up to like 80. I swear its like a just frame or something. And from my experiences, surviving a failed jump (the no jump at all failure where you just do a pk fire as you're dropping) happens when you were already at a decent position to double jump tether. If you get that kind of failure zap jump at or below the point you would have sweetspotted (you can't really sweetspot with zap jump but you get what i mean here, getting just in grab range) if you succeeded, you're dead.

And then there's the unfortunate mistakes like when you get the half zap jump (the normal jump pk fire) and magnet pull the wrong direction to severely hurt your recovery/put you underneath the stage.

But in the end, we all know that if we master it, and I still believe its possible..., Lucas automatically becomes a better character since we took away his biggest weakness.

pianodude700

Smash Journeyman
Here's my take on all this.

This won't work. You opponent has to somehow not see it coming, and seeing how well telegraphed it is, that's not likely. The good thing is most people that don't know lucas severely underestimate the priority of this attack, and many will try to attack you out of it (unsuccessfully). However, if this happens, and you get them, consider it luck. A smart player will shield and punish. The only reason you should PK thunder over the ledge (and when you do that it better be straight at the opponent or coming in low) is if you're close enough to get good distance, but too far to get a good tether, or as a mindgame. If he shields it and you go through to the other side of the opponent, get ready to turn and jab combo or run away before you get punished.

On a side, note, never try to PKT2 recover against marth if you're even remotely close to the stage: you will get faired lol.

If it's too steep, that will happen. But I really don't have a problem with that, because if you are under the stage and even if you don't sweetspot the edge, most people will be so surprised that you recovered that they will not punish you. It's happened against people who don't know lucas.
90% of people I've played for the first time sorely underestimate the range of lucas's PKT2 because they are so used to melee/brawl ness. You can use this to your advantage to use it offensively or recover against an opponent that may not bother to edgeguard well assuming you're already dead.

Of course, you also have to know just how far it can go.

Yea but DemonicTrilogy is right. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent in training mode trying to not mess up. And after all that, I'm still like 60% till I get warmed up at which I move up to like 80. I swear its like a just frame or something. And from my experiences, surviving a failed jump (the no jump at all failure where you just do a pk fire as you're dropping) happens when you were already at a decent position to double jump tether. If you get that kind of failure zap jump at or below the point you would have sweetspotted (you can't really sweetspot with zap jump but you get what i mean here, getting just in grab range) if you succeeded, you're dead.

And then there's the unfortunate mistakes like when you get the half zap jump (the normal jump pk fire) and magnet pull the wrong direction to severely hurt your recovery/put you underneath the stage.

But in the end, we all know that if we master it, and I still believe its possible..., Lucas automatically becomes a better character since we took away his biggest weakness.
I can agree with this, and have messed up zap jump quite a good number of times. PKT2 usually reaches far enough to bring you back, but like Galeon points out zap jump is never a requirement. Double jump tether is almost always the safer option.
Zap jump is just another mindgame for me. Observe your opponent before trying this. Most people don't even know that Lucas CAN zap jump, so it's usually a good surprise once or twice. If you're playing up against someone that's over-aggresive about their edgeguarding, it's nice to PKF them in the face and recover simultaneously, but don't count on it. Know your options.

That is all :)

Phillyfanboy

Smash Apprentice
I feel you,,,,I always get back tho. BUT! Thats in training only! With no pressure from an opp. Also I only use the zap jump, infact I've yet to get the magnet to pull me any distance at all, I think did it once. I've done the magnet pull without the zapj some...

Top Bottom