• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Fans:We want Mother 3
Nintendo:Here have Mother 1
Fans:What about Mother 3
Nintendo:¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mother1 is still pretty great though.
When they release Mother3 under an EarthBound related name it's gonna be weird.

Also I've been working with Lucas a lot since I got him today, and I'm feeling confident so far.

Lord Retardus

Smash Cadet
I feel like Earthbound Beginnings was just testing the waters. The translation was just lying around, sitting there, so they could pretty much just wrap it up in a VC emulator and send it off. Seeing it at all was a huge surprise, and it shows that Nintendo's aware we want it. They're just gauging consumer interest, is all. If it does well, I 100% expect that Mother 3 will have a chance.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Damn dude, whoever said Utilt is a great OOS option is a lifesaver. it's so damn good!
also, has anyone realized that Lucas can take advantage of double PKT on the left wall on omega stages with no problem?! this is awesome =D
Fair is a kill move at reasonable percents if sweetspotted. And utilt is a crazy OOS move like ZSS.
You're welcome.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
After playing Lucas for a couple of days I love him. He has very strong moves, his nair combos into itself, down throw into everything, pk freeze doesn't suck, fsmash comes outs super quick, magnet heals more and does damage, recovering is way more safe and its harder to gimp Lucas.
Overall he's amazing, we've found so many awesome combos and its only been 4 days. Keep up the good work guys! ;)

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it would be right to start passing Lucas off as low tier already. Too many characters get overlooked for being hard to play or not having the same immediate strengths. Falco isn't exactly good, but he isn't bottom tier like people say and can do damage incredibly quickly. Robin gets put into bottom tier, which although she has a terrible run speed and mediocre grab, makes no sense given she has some of the best spacing aerials, easy and incredibly strong KO moves/ setups, and absurd off-stage. Meta Knight was immediately passed off as garbage for his wonky hitboxes and "it's not Brawl," but it's pretty clearly been shown that he's viable and a serious threat at this point. Obviously tiers always matter. But characters in this game have at least been given enough strength that a low tier can still body someone using a top tier off of a few good reads or tricks, even if the neutral is pretty one-sided.

I know it's dumb that Lucas comes with so many obvious flaws rather than just making him straight-up strong from the start like Roy or Sheik. But knee jerk reactions won't get help anything. It's what got DIddy ignored for months, yet Greninja got unfairly nerfed straight to mid tier. And if Lucas ends up needing help, then maybe he'll get it. This patch came with some pretty unexpected and significant buffs for low/ mid tiers, so we'll see.
Although they still refuse to nerf Sheik in any ways that actually address the problem she poses to the metagame.

Last edited:

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Mother1 is still pretty great though.
When they release Mother3 under an EarthBound related name it's gonna be weird.

Also I've been working with Lucas a lot since I got him today, and I'm feeling confident so far.
Gonna be weirder if they change Kumatora's name in the English version if it ever happens.

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
Guys, I honestly don't think Lucas is good in this game, his recovery is seriously bad. Pikachu thunderbolts knock us down, people can just hit us out every time. We seriously have no priority, and we cant shorthop anything...

Plus the end lag on thunder is seriously unnecessary. I'm gonna main Lucas but I feel like it'll cripple us at times, I hope we get some sort of buff to help us out. This whole deal trying to just get back to the stage against good players is awful.
Are you kidding me? I hope you're joking. his recovery is one of the best in the game in terms of distance. I was offscreen once and recovered perfectly fine. it goes super far! My brother was playing as :4rob: and shot a Gyro into my while I was recovering with PKT and it did nothing. it just disappeared. he also has rope snake which has soooo much range.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Are you kidding me? I hope you're joking. his recovery is one of the best in the game in terms of distance. I was offscreen once and recovered perfectly fine. it goes super far! My brother was playing as :4rob: and shot a Gyro into my while I was recovering with PKT and it did nothing. it just disappeared. he also has rope snake which has soooo much range.

He has distance but it's easily read and people can just beat you out of it.

Luckily its not TOO linear, but meh. It's good, but it's pretty annoying that projectiles can just make us keep having to recover.

I feel like we should at least get semi armor for projectiles :\

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki

Luckily its not TOO linear, but meh. It's good, but it's pretty annoying that projectiles can just make us keep having to recover.

Are you saying people are beating you out of it once you are in pkt2 or before you can project yourself? If it's the latter I would try to just recover super low and vertical. Not too many could follow you down that far I think.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
So I just got wrecked over and over by an aggressive Lucina. What are Lucas's best options for rush-down characters? Seems like you don't want to rush in against opponents but with his short range, low start up, aerial eng lag on everything except Nair, it's hard to stop others from rushing in on you.

Last edited:

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
So I just got wrecked over and over by an aggressive Lucina. What are Lucas's best options for rush-down characters? Seems like you don't want to rush in against opponents but with his short range, low start up, aerial eng lag on everything except Nair, it's hard to stop others from rushing in on you.
Space with zair and PK Fires, dash attack sometimes if zair hits and try to get in with grabs when they play aggressive.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361

I auto cancelled Lucas's bair...?
Every aerial does that, You Just have to land the move on the first frame Then touch the ground and You will have no lag
Some are harder and some are easier
Like Falco's Dair is easier
While Zelda's Dair is harder
I once did it on Dream Land where i Down Throw Double jump Dair all The way to The top platform and landed with no lag

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Does PSI Magnet still stall your fall in the air like it did in brawl? If that's the case then I don't see how his recovery can be that bad, unless it got some crazy end lag or something

Last edited:

Deidara

Banned via Warnings

It hits multiple times and doesn't lose momentum if someone collides with him... it's not easy to edgeguard at all.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Does PSI Magnet still stall your fall in the air like it did in brawl? If that's the case then I don't see how his recovery can be that bad, unless it got some crazy end lag or something
He still stalls really well, Pikachu can bair and dair you out of your recovery at like any part, so it doesnt have very good protection. It's just not extremely safe like most people probably think it is.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
He still stalls really well, Pikachu can bair and dair you out of your recovery at like any part, so it doesnt have very good protection. It's just not extremely safe like most people probably think it is.
I understand your point, but it already does makes his recovery a lot better than say... Ness for example who suffers a lot against Pikachu offstage. I didn't play the character yet but I'm imagining that his recovery could be good in the sense of being hard to predict, I mean, you could try mixing it up with Magnet -> DJ Air dodge, or Magnet -> rope snake, or Magnet -> DJ Dair and some other options.
I will try Lucas out this weekend so I will give a more accurate feedback about this situation later.

Last edited:

Flamjam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flamjam
I was awesomely edgeguarded once by a shulk - mid PKT2, he jumped in and spiked me. I’ve also been hit successfully away whilst charging it up. That said, it’s distance is so awesome, the fact that it can bring you back from the blast zone is excellent, and let’s you go in deep with the gimps without worrying as much.

borisbickcog

Banned via Warnings
Hello mein negers.
I wish to apologise for my actions on this board previously. I've been shown the light of PK Ebola, and can comprehend why an individual would choose to play this character, rather than garrotte themselves.
I don't expect you to forgive me. I don't expect you to want me.
But I'm here, and I'm always watching.
Lucas.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Hello mein negers.
I wish to apologise for my actions on this board previously. I've been shown the light of PK Ebola, and can comprehend why an individual would choose to play this character, rather than garrotte themselves.
I don't expect you to forgive me. I don't expect you to want me.
But I'm here, and I'm always watching.
Lucas.
I'm confused, what happened?

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
So I think I figured out the isue with Lucas's PK Thunders and why sometimes they send you in ridiculous directions.

Well, Lucas's PK Thunder is actually a lot slower than Ness's (obvious) which makes it more precise. The new precision for the PK Thunder can really **** you if you try to use it like Ness's. Because it's not as fast, just doing a normal half-circle isn't just a no-brainer recovery like it is for Ness. Actually, you'll have to aim for very specific parts of Lucas's body. With a slower, more precise PK Thunder, there are naturally more areas to hit on Lucas's body, which in turn opens up many more angles than Ness has.

Honestly it kinda hurts more than helps imo. I figure that's the real reason they gave Lucas such an awesome tether in this game, because the slowness and precision of the PK Thunder on the surface makes it seem like you'll have an easier time getting the recovery, but it honestly just makes it a bit more inconvenient (not to mention that there's less of a deterrent to people trying to spike/gimp you with a wider opening due to a slower PK Thunder, and less risk because of much less knockback than Ness's PK Thunder).

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Does anyone know what Frame is Lucas's Down Smash when You release The button?

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
@ Jigglystep Jigglystep

Hey, you just finished playing someone named Shu right? That was me, just wanted to say GG, your Lucas is AMAZING.

Top Bottom