• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PK Freeze is actually quite useful on 1 on 1s!

SiriusGold

Smash Rookie
I have read many of you guys experiences with Lucas, and all seem to agree on the fact that PK Freeze won't see much use in 1 on 1s.

I think you guys are underestimating the move.

I consider myself already fairly decent with Lucas, and I play against a guy here who uses Marth (and was a Melee master). And Marth is downright broken. He beats me most of the time when he uses Marth, but when he uses Diddy or Mario, I have no trouble winning as much as he does.

Anyways, point is --

PK Fire sees a lot of use from me. It keeps the opponent at bay, is pretty fast, it has knockback, and after the hit I rush in with an f-air or simply PK Fire again until the opponent actually gets close to me. And since Marth's range is so dang long, I usually keep on PK firing.

Thing is, when Marth rushes at me but hops over my PK Fire, I take the hit. And this goes for actually anyone. If someone rushes towards you and jumps over PK Fire, well you're almost certain to take the hit.

When your opponent starts rushing at you from far away, the trick is to alternate. Pk Freeze. Why? Your opponent will jump/hop but by the time he sees your Pk Freeze it's too late the jumping motion will have started, and since Pk Freeze actually moves fast, it's a almost guaranteed hit, assuming you know how to control it. And dang, does that ice hurt, especially since you can jump at it and do damage to your immobilized opponent.

I know some of you will say that it is a bad idea overall, just don't use B-moves, Marth's range always overcome's Lucas, so I feel like I have no choice sometimes.

Basically, anytime your opponent is far away from you on the screen, Pk Freeze. Even if you miss, the lag is not so bad if your opponent was far enough, giving you time to recover fully before the opponent reaches you. Of course, if your PK Freeze completely goes astray, you're screwed. But assuming you controlled it well enough so your opponent had to dodge, you should be fine. Because when your opponent sees you starting to use PK Freeze, his first reaction will be to rush at you. But Pk Freeze is fast enough to get down to the running guy and freeze his butt if he doesn't dodge it.

Other tidbit - Pk Magnet has incredible knockback. I'm trying to incorporate the move more in my fighting, like Pk Magneting right after a jump while running forward, and when the Blue Light touches the opponent, release.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I love PK Freeze, but I have a lot of trouble hitting with it.

I, too, suffer from Marth. Both my eliminations in the recent tourney came from Marths. Ike is even worse if the player is skilled.

But you're right. As soon as opponents hear PK anything, they think you're vulnerable and tend to charge. I like centering the PK Freeze blast right in front of me and kind of using it as a shield. Depending on the range of your opponent (*shakes fist* MAAAARTH!!!!), you should place it a little further away. It's also useful for ledgeguarding, but since it sends people up its unlikely to result in KOs over the edge.

I like using all the moves. Avoiding Lucas's B moves sounds limited and not very fun.

gsarany

Smash Cadet
When you knock an opponent off the edge cant you chase after them with PK Freeze. If they are frozen they might drop far enough making it hard to recover. Also if they break out of the ice you know there going to aim for the edge so you could intervene them while there trying to get back up. Just an idea I just wanted to know if this is a good strategy.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
When they're at higher percents, they fly WAY up and break out up there. It actually can ASSIST in their recovery because they're so high above you it's hard to guard them. If they're at lower percentages, they break out quickly. I like ledge guarding with it, but often leaping out and doing a forward aerial or PK Fire is a better option.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Nice, glad to hear there's a use for this. Can't wait for this to come out in the U.S. so I can try this out. Hope this move stays useful.

Galeon

Smash Ace
iunno. anytime someone gets overly aggressive and tries to hit me with an aerial, I usually go for the u-smash. it just... wins... if I have to get punished for missing something (PK freeze vs u-smash) I'd rather have the other guy knowing he nearly died for it. I tried pk freeze a bit more today since we played teams and man its still bad. Platforms also eat it. I remember someone getting pk freezed at like 150 and living. At that point, I realized it's just not worth it most of the time unless you wanna make the other guy feel bad for getting hit by it. But even for that, there's u-smash.

SiriusGold

Smash Rookie
I do not PK Freeze to KO opponents. PK Freeze is perfect for ranged attacks. Of course, I didn't mention that I was mainly playing on Shuuten (FD). So no ledge to eat it. When Marth rushes at me, u-smash is better when the opponent is closer. I just don't see it working when Marth rushes from far away.
On the other hand, using PK Freeze has a shield on oneself is not recommended by me. This is exactly the time when you should use u-smash instead imo. But I don't know, I should experience a bit with it I guess.
Aevin, are you in Japan? Because if so, I wanna go to tourneys too. :)

Anyways, to me, PK Freeze will see more use than PK Flash ever will.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
No, I'm in Oregon. I play Brawl on my friend's import.

Oh ... And I KO'd off the top with PK Freeze today, just like those Mr. Freezie things in Melee!

Lucas9

Smash Rookie
i can't wait to use lucas, i loved playing with ness on melee but from the videos ive seen it looks like lucas is so much better

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Better? Doubtful. Different, yes. Lucas is more long ranged, whereas Ness is meant for comboing and easy killing moves. There's a thread in the Ness section on the differences in the two, btw.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Lucas has better KO power than Ness, but his attacks aren't as safe, and he has a better projectile game. Lucas also has more range, wheras Ness has combo ability and speed.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Yar. I should clarify. When I say Ness has better KO power, I mean that he has more reliable killing moves. Lucas's are stronger (Up smash? OMG!!!), but harder to place.

NESSBOUNDER summarized it perfectly.

Kone

Smash Master
Pk freeze sucks, sorry :(. You wont hit a good opponent with it and theres always better options. On slight damage and above the knockback gives any good opponent enough time to wriggle out of the freeze. Me and GAwes tested this, he could get out everytime before i got near him. It sucks

gringo66

Smash Journeyman
Pk freeze sucks, sorry :(. You wont hit a good opponent with it and theres always better options. On slight damage and above the knockback gives any good opponent enough time to wriggle out of the freeze. Me and GAwes tested this, he could get out everytime before i got near him. It sucks

thats disappointing... pk freeze ledge guard anyone?

SiriusGold

Smash Rookie
You wont hit a good opponent with it and theres always better options.

I refuse to agree with this. PK Freeze is hard to use, granted, but it's definitely not impossible to hit, even against skilled players.
It is also good for forcing an opponent to move, when far away. Even if you miss, the lag is short, giving you enough time to move on before hit.

Also, even if the opponent gets out of it, it's still damage from a position you wouldn't normally be able to hit from.

I persist to say PK Freeze has its uses.

And I'm starting to believe Pit is Lucas' worst enemy. @#$^&, Pit is hard as hell to beat.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I agree. It's not a miracle move, but it's got its place. I have good luck with it for ledgegaurding (not usually a killer, but it's fun and is still damage), and for luring opponents closer.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Maybe on a bigger stages, but you wouldn't use it because the other moves can do what PKfreeze can do except better

If you want to force an opponent to move or DI a certain way when he/she is recovering, PKthunder is much more viable. On ground, PKfire is much much safer and better in terms of spacing.

Its not a useless move like Ganon's uptilt and it has some properties that can raise its potential, but I would avoid using it majoirty of the time.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Oh. I forgot one very good thing about PK Freeze that I think you all ought to consider.

It's REALLY FUN!!!

SiriusGold

Smash Rookie
<i>If you want to force an opponent to move or DI a certain way when he/she is recovering, PKthunder is much more viable.</i>

PK Thunder is more viable for edgeguarding. As opposed to Ness', Lucas' actually has decent knockback with PK Thunder.

On ground, no. It has terrible lag. You can't afford to miss with PK Thunder, while with PK Freeze you can.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
<i>If you want to force an opponent to move or DI a certain way when he/she is recovering, PKthunder is much more viable.</i>

PK Thunder is more viable for edgeguarding. As opposed to Ness', Lucas' actually has decent knockback with PK Thunder.

On ground, no. It has terrible lag. You can't afford to miss with PK Thunder, while with PK Freeze you can.
He's exactly right. In this game, the lag after PK Thunder is considerably reduced, but still pretty bad on the ground. But you pop out of PK Freeze incredibly quickly, making it my long-distance projectile of choice while both players are over the stage.

Then again, I have a lot of fun putting out PK Thunder right in front of me where I know my opponent will attack, and making two complete circles with it--often, they won't expect the second rotation and will jump into it. Trust me, that'll throw 'em for a loop. Yes, word play definitely intended.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
They shrank pk flash so now they're pretty much equal. that kinda pisses me off that they would do something to that move. I mean, what was the good of it in melee that made them shrink it? edgeguarding? even so it wasn't very effective...

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe they shrank the hitbox. In Melee, it looked huge, but it didn't hit with the entire flash. I'm pretty certain PK Flass hits the same, but has a graphic to match the actual hitbox. Not only that, but its short range speed has increased dramatically. I managed to hit a falling Zero suit Samus with it, sending her up, and when she tried attacking afterwards, hit her with a SECOND uncharged PK Flash. Yes, you can JUGGLE with it. It's a hitbox completely disconnected from Ness (in the same way Lucas's Up smash is disconnected) with incredibly dominant priority. Great for guarding above if you're good at predicting your opponent. I know of nothing that can "break" PK Flash like attacks can with PK Thunder. Oh, and fully charged, it goes through Kirby's stone and kills him, for what it's worth.

... But this is the Lucas thread. Oopsie.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
It has to be fully charged to go through the stone. I've hit with it this way multiple times.

What do you even mean? What's Sonic's final smash got to do with PK Flash? Has it occurred to you that a fully charged PK Flash is probably STRONGER than a single hit from Sonic's final smash? PK Flash is darned near an instant kill, whereas they have to be somewhat higher damage to die from one hit of Sonic's final smash.

Say what you will. I'll continue to kick my opponents' butts with this move.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Killing power, perhaps, but not the same properties. I play quite often against a Kirby main. We were both shocked that it went through his stone, and tested it again to make sure. It won't break through without being fully charged.

Lucas's PK Freeze I don't think does. I'm pretty sure I did have it fully charged for the test, and it still didn't break him out.

LucNess Monster

Smash Rookie
This response is related to the the whole use of pk ice... ive found a few problems with it. even if it does connect in one on one or team, i find that it launches the opponent too high so it removes the possibility of a combo. If anyone has an effective combo on how to follow up it be much appreciated... thanx in advance

spyk90

Smash Cadet
If your opponent is hanging on the ledge and they become vulnerable after a few seconds, you can PK freeze them and it will make it hard for them to recover.

I also time my PK freezes well, so that I can pull off a combo, such as the Up + A ground move that kills if your opponent is around 80% damage.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
That's a good one, spyk90. Seems like my opponents manage to escape just in the nick of time, but seeing how much they freak out at the close call is priceless!

Top Bottom