• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivots and Lucario

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Hey guys, it seems perfect pivots are all the rage today. Some people hail it as the new wave dashing. There are a couple articles on the main page of this site for those who do not know about it.

So what options do we have with pivots?

You can either do a sliding pivot or a perfect one where you do whatever move you want to do without going into the dash pivot slide animation.

Currently I love using:
  • Regular or perfect pivot FSmash and FTilt. Using these really help against whiffed Dash Attacks and Grabs. Depending on the character you play against of course. If you perfect pivot vs. Falcon, you're probably still going to be hit or Dash grabbed.
  • Roll canceled pivot grab has insane range and has 2-3 times Lucario's normal grab range.
  • Pivot/perfect pivot Force Palm has at least a few more grab frames compared to regular Force Palm.
I feel perfect pivot Dash Attack has some potential too, but I haven't looked into it yet.

So, what do you guys think?

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Do you mind explaining the roll cancelled pivot grab? Sounds very interesting with all that grab range.

Also I really like doing dash dance > dash attack to catch people sleeping

ChillySundance

Smash Apprentice
Lucario doesn't use his smash attacks a lot, so I can see it as being beneficial to set the C-stick to tilts for the purpose of doing pivots. Makes it a wee bit easier to nail Utilts.

That said most of Lucario's true combo openers from Utilt require him to land the frontal part of the attack rather than the backfoot. But I can see it being used much the same way as Greninja's PP utilt.

I find it interesting that force palm has pivot grab properties. Has this been tested?

Last edited:

GamefreakDX

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3067-6277-7612
That's pretty interesting. Especially with the Pivot Force Palm.
I should be using Pivots more to be honest, but I always screw up with it. And Perfect Pivoting I seem to struggle doing from right to left with the Analog Stick. I can do it fine the other way otherwise.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
That's pretty interesting. Especially with the Pivot Force Palm.
I should be using Pivots more to be honest, but I always screw up with it. And Perfect Pivoting I seem to struggle doing from right to left with the Analog Stick. I can do it fine the other way otherwise.
Other than a quicker RAR (reverse aerial rush), Force Palm and maaaaaayyybe FTilt I do not see much use for perfect pivots for us.

At low % I sometimes do a UTilt or two and then a roll canceled pivot grab.

I need to practice pivot Aura Sphere...

Last edited:

GamefreakDX

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3067-6277-7612
Other than a quicker RAR (reverse aerial rush), Force Palm and maaaaaayyybe FTilt I do not see much use for perfect pivots for us.

At low % I sometimes do a UTilt or two and then a roll canceled pivot grab.

I need to practice pivot Aura Sphere...
Perfect Pivots not for us maybe. I'd have to practice that more though.
I've never done Pivot Aura Sphere although I have been using the B-Reversal (or whatever it's officially called) with Aura Sphere. Not so much at low %s since the Aura Sphere's too small.

Top Bottom